US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary

Post by spanky4ever »

@Amsel_ how about you could be brain washed? Or did you not read my post some pages ago? I will post it once more, for you only sweety ;)

http://davidswanson.org/warlist/
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

iwillspankyou wrote:@Amsel_ how about you could be brain washed? Or did you not read my post some pages ago? I will post it once more, for you only sweety ;)

Arent we all brainwashed in a way?
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

I can only speak for myself @Googol, I will say I am not, but how about you? did you even take a glance at that list? It is a list of millions of deaths, and countries overturned, including democratic elected leaders killed.
So you tell me.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

I do recognize that there are some interventions USA did, that was actually good, but those are very few, compared
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Better do some housing for the ppl ;)
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

iwillspankyou wrote:@Amsel_ how about you could be brain washed? Or did you not read my post some pages ago? I will post it once more, for you only sweety ;)

I'm going to repeat myself here. I don't care if we invade countries, fund wars, assassinate people, or back dictators, so long as we're doing it for a good reason. If we weren't so good at those things, there would be a lot more invasions, wars, assassinations, and tyrants. So think carefully before you take the gun and torch from the hands of the night watchman state. Because there are a lot of scores left unsettled simply because countries are scared that we will punish from for trying to achieve settlement through martial means. Even you Europeans would have to relearn warfare should you no longer be able to rely on lightning bolts coming down from Mount Olympus, magically killing all the bad guys for you. You just don't understand how important we are to maintaining the current world order. You've never had to ask yourself how many Norwegian boys you're willing to send into death and war in order to protect South Korea.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:What is wrong some some kind of gold standard? do you realize how unstable and fraudulent our money system is? all the problems we face are symptoms of fiat currency, fractional reserve lending, and private for profit centralized banks.
Gold-standards fail to meet the demand for money, and cause deflation. Only deficit spending in large amounts can meet this demand for money. It's why gold-standard countries had so many depressions, and it's why the Eurozone is declining. Also, have you heard of C.H. Douglass' Social Credit?

?[/quote]

No I am not familiar with it. is it a national dividend?

At least a gold standard is based off something. Our system now is so fraudulent and fake, wars have to be fought to uphold it. Or bailouts to keep it from melting down.
We need to do something proactively to change it so that we do not reach the point of no fix. Did you read my outlined proposal for a new way to create a wealth driven economy? It involves a "national dividend" but run in its own unique way.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

@howlingwolfpaw So who are you voting for in the primary?
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

for the system we are in I think Andrew Yang has the best approach
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

I know many like Bernie, but I think he will be a disaster for dems this round
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

More people like Biden
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

He is the dem for runner, I get why people like him, he seems presidential, but I think it will be the same as Hillary, the established dem party picking its "safe candidate" and not really listening to the feel of the people. He is not one to bring people from the other side. Yang could do that.

Edit+ I think his popularity is fabricated like Hillary's was as well.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

howlingwolfpaw wrote:He is the dem for runner, I get why people like him, he seems presidential, but I think it will be the same as Hillary, the established dem party picking its "safe candidate" and not really listening to the feel of the people. He is not one to bring people from the other side. Yang could do that.

Edit+ I think his popularity is fabricated like Hillary's was as well.
The "established dem party" doesn't pick the candidate, the primary process does.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

That's not what I remember happening last time the DNC rigged it for Hillary
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

iwillspankyou wrote:
occamslightsaber wrote:By the way, if you or anyone wants to know why we have some 800 military bases around the globe (although your question was probably rhetorical), itā€™s because they are mostly remnants of the Cold War. The US used to position troops as a ā€œtripwireā€ in vulnerable countries to dissuade commies from attacking them, since few hundred dead US soldiers would be more than enough to bring the US to war and start WW3. After the Cold War, they were useful for bombing terrorists and the host countries didnā€™t exactly mind having the worldā€™s most powerful country to protect them.
how many bases does Russia have then, if that is your defence of having 800+ military bases ;)
The Soviet Union lost the Cold War and withdrew its forward-deployed troops in Eastern Europe and elsewhere. It also disintegrated and its successor state, Russia, had way too much economic troubles in the 1990s to justify military spending to protect other countries.

The US, on the other hand, sought to build on its victory through Bill Clintonā€™s policy of ā€œEnlargementā€ (a very fitting name for him). NATO was expanded even after the Soviet Union fell to usher in a new era of liberal world order, which explains the relative peace in the Western world during the post-Cold War era.
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

howlingwolfpaw wrote:That's not what I remember happening last time the DNC rigged it for Hillary
Rigged it by getting more people to vote for her?
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

You should look into it more.... politics happen.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

howlingwolfpaw wrote:You should look into it more.... politics happen.
Explain what the "establishment Dems" are doing right now to help Joe Biden over other candidates
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

I haven't really been paying much attention this round... just got a computer after not having one for a couple months. but its no surprise why you think he's the number one, and placed in center of debates nd given lots of media attention to make you think that. who knows what will happen from here.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

howlingwolfpaw wrote:I haven't really been paying much attention this round... just got a computer after not having one for a couple months. but its no surprise why you think he's the number one, and placed in center of debates nd given lots of media attention to make you think that. who knows what will happen from here.
It's because he's leading in basically every poll
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

iwillspankyou wrote:I can only speak for myself @Googol, I will say I am not, but how about you? did you even take a glance at that list? It is a list of millions of deaths, and countries overturned, including democratic elected leaders killed.
So you tell me.
Even if the figure on that website is true (it isnā€™t, since it blames the US for the entire casualties of the wars in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia), 20 million dead since WW2 as a result of US actions is rather insignificant compared to what the Soviet Union or China did in the same period. For instance, Maoā€™s China killed more than 30 million of its own people during the Great Leap Forward alone, yet the Chinese still say that Mao was still 70% right. Just imagine how many more would have died if the communists came out on top and spread their malicious ideology everywhere!

Plus, itā€™s ironic that you are calling someone else brainwashed, but cite the page of an anti-war activist who ignores context and seems to blame the US for every conflict it participated in, even the ones like the Korean War and the Vietnam War where Americaā€™s enemies struck first and the US was only defending its allies.
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Amsel_ wrote:

I'm going to repeat myself here. I don't care if we invade countries, fund wars, assassinate people, or back dictators, so long as we're doing it for a good reason. If we weren't so good at those things, there would be a lot more invasions, wars, assassinations, and tyrants. So think carefully before you take the gun and torch from the hands of the night watchman state. Because there are a lot of scores left unsettled simply because countries are scared that we will punish from for trying to achieve settlement through martial means. Even you Europeans would have to relearn warfare should you no longer be able to rely on lightning bolts coming down from Mount Olympus, magically killing all the bad guys for you. You just don't understand how important we are to maintaining the current world order. You've never had to ask yourself how many Norwegian boys you're willing to send into death and war in order to protect South Korea.
No, they just think other countries will magically act peacefully if the USA pulls their military bases out. :uglylol: No, they really think that :lol: , because most people living today have grown in the post-WW2 era, when this current configuration of US military hegemony and international institutions (that were actually set up by Europe and the US and hosted by both too) have ensured an atmosphere of global stability and overall peace. The Cold War arms race also kept a certain equilibrium of forces in the world.

But once all this order is thrown out, something else will emerge and it may not look like anything we've seen in the "boomer" era (technological advancement, flower-power hippie culture, the 60s, media growth, greater material wealth for everyone, huge improvements in research and health services, etc etc). All this stuff could be gone ("gone" as in progress slowing down, stalling, not completely vanishing) simply because a new geopolitical order dominated by a China-Russia-India alliance would project different kinds of values than what we've been accustomed to. We've all been used to having a culture of equality, progressiveness and all that stuff, but if the world fell under China's spell, they would control a lot of things that have an impact on your living standards, security, status.

International institutions would promote another kind of values, not what we see today, surely not so much emphasis on "human rights", "equality" and whatever you've been accustomed to. They would promote values that sound great on paper, like "mutual respect" and "stability", but those kinds of "values" China claims to support, while spreading its tentacles all over the world. They're already doing it right now, when they're not in a dominant position from a military point of view, with their debt-trap diplomacy, by creating a network of satellite states which owe them money.

But imagine a world in which your government and local authorities owe billions to China, because they "invested" a lot in your country's infrastructure and they now own your ports, airports, some highways and companies. It's not a far-fetched scenario, since we're already seeing it unfold even today. Then they will be able to control world trade, their currency will become a major reserve currency, and your living standards might stagnate and you will wonder why and how did things get to this stage.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: ķŒ€ ķ•˜ģš°ģŠ¤

Post by n0el »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
howlingwolfpaw wrote:You should look into it more.... politics happen.
Explain what the "establishment Dems" are doing right now to help Joe Biden over other candidates
Going on all the MSM and defending him, while bashing everyone else?
mad cuz bad
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
howlingwolfpaw wrote:I haven't really been paying much attention this round... just got a computer after not having one for a couple months. but its no surprise why you think he's the number one, and placed in center of debates nd given lots of media attention to make you think that. who knows what will happen from here.
It's because he's leading in basically every poll

why do you think that is>? what makes him distinguished from all the others? do you personally support him? if so why? if not why not and who do you support?
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: ķŒ€ ķ•˜ģš°ģŠ¤

Post by n0el »

occamslightsaber wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:I can only speak for myself @Googol, I will say I am not, but how about you? did you even take a glance at that list? It is a list of millions of deaths, and countries overturned, including democratic elected leaders killed.
So you tell me.
Even if the figure on that website is true (it isnā€™t, since it blames the US for the entire casualties of the wars in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia), 20 million dead since WW2 as a result of US actions is rather insignificant compared to what the Soviet Union or China did in the same period. For instance, Maoā€™s China killed more than 30 million of its own people during the Great Leap Forward alone, yet the Chinese still say that Mao was still 70% right. Just imagine how many more would have died if the communists came out on top and spread their malicious ideology everywhere!

Plus, itā€™s ironic that you are calling someone else brainwashed, but cite the page of an anti-war activist who ignores context and seems to blame the US for every conflict it participated in, even the ones like the Korean War and the Vietnam War where Americaā€™s enemies struck first and the US was only defending its allies.
If you think America was struck first in Vietnam you should go re-read history. Thatā€™s like saying that Iraq had WMDs, and that war was justified.
mad cuz bad