US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary

Post by Dolan »

What credit am I giving to him, lol? His actions are pretty much cynical Realpolitik.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

The letter was more to show that Trump has no idea what he's doing and saying his decisions are based on a line of reasoning that has any basis in reality or makes any diplomatic sense is probably giving him too much credit already. Did you read it? It could've been written by a 5 year old.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Of course I read it. It's his idea of acting like a 19th century president. He doesn't give a shit about "expertise" and PhDs. He acts like a general and he talks using power language. It's pure politics, really. Except the style is from another epoch. And that's the idea.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Dolan wrote:What credit am I giving to him, lol? His actions are pretty much cynical Realpolitik.
Not really
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I highly doubt that it's just politics, I think he's just not a very sophisticated person and that letter represents the extent of his mental capacity.
Agree to disagree on that one I guess.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

You're still thinking in the old ways, expecting him to be a puppet in the hands of a "reasonable" bureaucratic apparatus, like Obama or Bush were.
No, he makes it a point of pride out of being unpredictable and talking politics without using weasel words.

And yes this makes him look like he's just winging it, but I think there is a vision behind this, as rudimentary as it may seem. I mean there is some coherent reasoning behind his decisions, although it almost always goes against how the establishment thinks. He wants to shake things up.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:You're still thinking in the old ways, expecting him to be a puppet in the hands of a "reasonable" bureaucratic apparatus, like Obama or Bush were.
??
And yes this makes him look like he's just winging it, but I think there is a vision behind this,
Right. Disagree. Trump has been winging this job since day 1
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

I actually agree with Dolan.
mad cuz bad
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I suppose I disagree with your definition of a vision, then. I mean yes, he cares about his public image and yes he cares about his personal financial interests, but I wouldn't call that a vision.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Yeah it's not really a form of "diplomacy" as that's generally understood, it's just whatever serves his personal interests.
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

I think he’s been pretty consistent about getting out of the Middle East, and bucking the establishment on it. Whether he’s doing it because he truly believes it, thinks it’s good politics, or because he can benefit financially, I don’t know.
mad cuz bad
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Trump, above all else, is obsessed with his public image. Considering pulling out of the ME is popular, he thinks it will help his public image. It's probably as simple as that. Of course pulling out of the ME is not a trivial thing to do, as he has come to understand now I'm sure.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

n0el wrote:I think he’s been pretty consistent about getting out of the Middle East, and bucking the establishment on it. Whether he’s doing it because he truly believes it, thinks it’s good politics, or because he can benefit financially, I don’t know.
He's not "getting out of the Middle East"
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

Yang is brilliant, he was far more composed, and coherent in his thoughts, he had a real direction and vision and swift response to what he thought the real problem was and what his solution would be.
I think he is the man of the times!

I may have to register as a dem just to vote for him in the primary 9is it too late to do that?), never thought Id do that, but I believe he is the one to bring more republicans to the other side. he is the only one I want to listen to at this point. The only exciting candidate from the right, left, or independent.

Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

tbh, YANG has some good politics, but I really cannot see how the minimum pay, will serve anyone. It will not be enough, by a far stretch. The 500k ppl living on the streets in the USA, will still live there. I really think that most ppl will be happy, with a job that can provide for themselves and the family.
I just feel that adding this, will raise the bars even more, for the ppl who are struggling to get an apartment to rent.
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Guess some ppl get REAL when it is in theif face
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

@fightinfrenchman I am sorry for flaming you, you pulled my leg, and I got flaming, my bad. (I have a temper ;) )
But, as you maybe have noticed, this election is not about the color of your skin, your sex or whatnots. It is about much more than that, and the "much more" is also about every person living on this earth. So, sorry for reading you wrong, but the identity politics that the DEMS has been running is just not IT. The issues is much bigger, and it includes identity, racism etc. It is just not covering it, at all. That is why you need a person like Bernie, who has been fighting for working-class ppl for half a century, always consistent. I mean, you should admire a person like that? comming from your USA. He is the one and only, you should embrace him for what he is putting out there for YOU. He could retire and have lazy days, but instead, he has made, on occasions, 3 and 4 rallies in a day!! I do not think anybody can compeat with his record, of being "out there".
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

I also guess that my apologies is much more that you deserve, but you can own it, in the future ;)
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Biden is so gone, for his lack of issues, his terrible past, and he is out of money. The donors are leaving him, and nobody else will be joining. The only question by now, is will he be a candidate in the Iowa caucuses? I am not sure. Up as a hawk, down as a big person with "nothingness" and a loser ;)

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Thinking of donating to Biden just to annoy this woman
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

iwillspankyou wrote:tbh, YANG has some good politics, but I really cannot see how the minimum pay, will serve anyone. It will not be enough, by a far stretch. The 500k ppl living on the streets in the USA, will still live there. I really think that most ppl will be happy, with a job that can provide for themselves and the family.
I just feel that adding this, will raise the bars even more, for the ppl who are struggling to get an apartment to rent.

Well part of his whole point is that jobs are scare due to automation (and automation is coming for more and more jobs ) and there are many things people who are homeless don't want to do. So where are these jobs going to come from?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

@howlingwolfpaw The threat automation poses to jobs is overblown
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

why do you say that? amazon is killin' the retail industry because it can ship from ware houses with minimal human support using sophisticated machines to pack and ship items. And now they are taking on the grocery industry that is fiercely competitive and has very low profit margins that rely on local customers going to them rather than getting groceries from mostly automated warehouses. I really think its understated in many respects. Robots have replaced many of the tasks in factories, much to humanities benefit but still taking jobs away that once employed many more people. Same with retail kiosks using smart cart shopping, self check outs, driverless cars... these multinational companies hold no alliances to the people they employ and seek to maximize profits and the largest cost is workforce. They started by putting the factories in lesser developed countries for cheaper labor cost, but as those 3rd world countries develop there will be lesser cheap places to produce goods. Robots are being designed for almost every aspect of industry and service.
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

fightinfrenchman wrote:@howlingwolfpaw The threat automation poses to jobs is overblown
this might be the worst take you've ever had.
mad cuz bad