US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary

Post by spanky4ever »

For the 5th debate this night, I really hope Tulsi Gabbard exposes GigGig for the fraud he is.
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

iwillspankyou wrote:I still remember WP writing 16 smears in one day, in the 2016 election. How is that objective, in any way?
I'm not saying this is what happened but to a cult member, unbiased reporting about the cult leader can easily seem like a smear. E.g. Trump supporters and their frequent complaints about how the media treats him unfairly.
This might say more about you than about WaPo.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Some predictions (you do not have to watch this Goodspeed)
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Goodspeed wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:I still remember WP writing 16 smears in one day, in the 2016 election. How is that objective, in any way?
I'm not saying this is what happened but to a cult member, unbiased reporting about the cult leader can easily seem like a smear.
That is BS, and you know it :hmm:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Diamond Joe gonna crush it tonight
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

The president, Secretary of State, and Chief of staff all getting implicated in an illegal conspiracy because they're so afraid of Joe beating them is a good message imo

Edit: beating them like a drum, specifically
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

iwillspankyou wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
I'm not saying this is what happened but to a cult member, unbiased reporting about the cult leader can easily seem like a smear.
That is BS, and you know it :hmm:
I don't know how you can say that's BS and keep a straight face. Have you seen how Trump supporters respond to any article that doesn't treat him as JHC reincarnate?
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Goodspeed wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:
Show hidden quotes
That is BS, and you know it: hmm:
I don't know how you can say that's BS and keep a straight face. Have you seen how Trump supporters respond to any article that doesn't treat him as JHC reincarnate?
Hmm, I was talking about the smears from WP.
The difference between Sanders and Trump though, since you want to bring that into the equation, is that Trump was their main focus --- all of the time. These days you will find very little of Sanders in the corp media - they learned their lesson, and are giving him the silent treatment. Even when he is surging in the polls, they focus on Giegieg being a STRONG no 4. It's just mindblowing and frankly, too obvious of a bias.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Booker is our only hope, according to this poll

Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Buttigieg will be targeted tonight, I am sure about it. Thus far nobody paid him much attention, but those days are over now since he is surging in Iowa polls. I am curious to know how he will respond to IT ;)
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

would you call this poll cheating?
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Btw Cenk Uygur is running for Congress (the founder of TYT if you did not recognize his name ;) ) This will be HUGE. If you want to get money out of politics, he will certainly be a spearhead for that in Congress.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

wardyb1 wrote:Now I agree, most of that is possible. The only thing I would say is, why hasn't this already happened? Why haven't all these people already claimed citizenship and changed residency to tax havens? Surely if they could do all that to save money in the future, why wouldn't they have already moved to save money now? I don't actually know without knowing tax law well enough but it seems odd to me if they could already be saving bulk cash.
Some may have already done so actually, by incorporating themselves in the Cayman Islands or in some US states that have some of the lowest tax rates. But overall, they haven't yet folded their tents and moved elsewhere because the level of taxation in the US is still quite low compared to other countries. This could change though, if someone like Warren is elected, considering her plan to tax all wealth above 1 billion at 6%. Such a tax would come on top of all other pre-existing taxes, so billionaires would be looking at losing an extra 6% of their entire wealth. For some, this might be a good enough reason to move elsewhere. I mean, the tiny state of Monaco, in Europe, has 0% income tax. Some British billionaires, like Jim Ratcliffe, the UK oil tycoon, have already moved their wealth there.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

tbh, I am not sure it would make a big difference if the Billoranes move their wealth to other countries, I mean that is what they have been doing for a long time. I would like so c some regulations, prohibiting them to move wealth that ez though. Not to speak how ez they can move it back, giving exemptions like they have been, for a long time now.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

I like this ad

Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

All these candidate that preach redistribution of resources might fail because, if I understand the average American mentality, they're not going to vote for someone who "takes mah money and gives it to others who haven't worked for it" and for someone who doesn't project strength. Average Americans aren't interested in such themes as "economic solidarity" or "our president needs to be someone nice who does good deeds", like many of these Democratic candidates are trying to define themselves.

Imo, this happens for the reasons I explained before, low cultural cohesion. There's not much culture linking Americans together, besides this anthemic "proud to be American" mantra that is ritually chanted by people to affirm their affiliation. But if you ask them to pay for someone else's wellbeing, through redistribution of resources, you're gonna hit a wall. Solidarity is only something predicated in terms of well-wishing, a "thoughts and prayers" sort of attitude, but not in making the average American splitting with his money to support those that earn less. "Proud to be American (just like you), but don't touch mah money".

At least, I expect this attitude to continue to play an important role in how American voters will choose the candidates they support, though it's not going to be the only factor. A slight increase in support for the idea of universal healthcare might also be another factor, thought I don't expect to see massive support for radical ideas, more like tentative support for some kind of incipient form of H4A. Voters have already had their share of being sold ideological fairy tales with Obama, and not much came out of it. If even Obama came out criticising these pie-in-the-sky ideas circulating in Democratic circles, I really doubt there's massive popular support for them among voters. Or that voters will actually vote the future president based on them.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: ķŒ€ ķ•˜ģš°ģŠ¤

Post by n0el »

Thatā€™s just a wrong take. The majority of Americans hate that corporate America rakes them over the coals and pays nothing while they do. Thatā€™s not a partisan issue, and has nothing to do with cultural anything.
mad cuz bad
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Are there any polls that show some kind of growing grudge against corporations among Americans?
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

i donā€™t know a poll to show me that, I live it daily. Even lifelong Republicans who still are 100% Trump talk about that. They hate liberals because they (Rightly) associate liberals with corporate america. The left feels the same way, and (rightly) associate Rā€™s with corporate America.
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Congress isn't going to pass a wealth tax
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

@n0el
It depends on what are the cutoff points for what defines a corporation. Your census bureau defines "large enterprise" as anything with more than 500 employees. If we go by their definition, then about 51% of Americans are employed by large corporations.

Source of data: https://census.gov/content/dam/Census/l ... 2-susb.pdf

So it seems the economy is about evenly split between large corporations and smaller enterprises.

More recent data says you have about 10% of self-employed workers:
https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t09.htm

So not sure if your perception is reflected on a statistical scale.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

I love this, irritating his annoying supporters for no reason.

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Twitter is amazing
Attachments
what.PNG
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Dolan wrote:@n0el
It depends on what are the cutoff points for what defines a corporation. Your census bureau defines "large enterprise" as anything with more than 500 employees. If we go by their definition, then about 51% of Americans are employed by large corporations.

Source of data: https://census.gov/content/dam/Census/l ... 2-susb.pdf

So it seems the economy is about evenly split between large corporations and smaller enterprises.

More recent data says you have about 10% of self-employed workers:
https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t09.htm

So not sure if your perception is reflected on a statistical scale.
Sure. When I say corporations, Iā€™m talking the mega corporations. Big banks, big tech, big 3, etc...
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

I'm already bored of this and I just tuned in