US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary

Post by fightinfrenchman »

@Amsel_ A lot of people don't know who Pete is
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

Tough to make too much of it. Probably looks best for Warren but still isn't too much different than Biden/Sanders. Pete's looks good but also I guess has either still no name recognition or no opinions by the fact that it only totals 63. Not sure how the polls are done entirely. Pretty much sums up the primary really. Each candidate is divisive to a different group of people and don't really look like changing until people drop out.

Going to come down to early state voting, getting people out to vote and where people put their chips if someone drops out after the first couple of states. Probably best to keep looking at who people would vote for as their 2nd or 3rd option as well. Finishing 4th will be death knell for someone's campaign, only then will the primary really begin imo.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

That's not why Buttigieg won't get elected (his McKinsey stint). Most Americans are just not going to want a gay couple in the White House, because the puritan spirit is still strong in the USA.

Incoming grumbles...
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Dolan wrote:That's not why Buttiegieg won't get elected (his McKinsey stint). Most Americans are just not going to want a gay couple in the White House, because the puritan spirit is still strong in the USA.
There's literally thousands of other threads you can post in other than this one. You can even share your thoughts on liebing Wildwood in some of them
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Dolan wrote:That's not why Buttiegieg won't get elected (his McKinsey stint). Most Americans are just not going to want a gay couple in the White House, because the puritan spirit is still strong in the USA.
There's literally thousands of other threads you can post in other than this one. You can even share your thoughts on liebing Wildwood in some of them
I mean he's not wrong. Living in the south I can tell you that even many southern democrats are mildly homophobic.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I mean something like the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal could have never existed in Europe. Nobody cares if the president banged a chick in his office here. Or if he cheats on his wife. It's something for them to sort it out. And yet, in the USA it became a huge scandal and Clinton was impeached because of perjury. And why was he forced to lie about the whole thing and get accused of perjury? Because the American media would have destroyed his image if he admitted Monica fondled his cigar in the Oval office.

Now imagine what goes on in the mind of the average American voter when he thinks he's going to see this for 4 years in the White House:
Butti pic
"What will kids think?" "What will the rest of the world think about us, omagosh"
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

Dolan wrote:I mean something like the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal could have never existed in Europe. Nobody cares if the president banged a chick in his office here. Or if he cheats on his wife. It's something for them to sort it out. And yet, in the USA it became a huge scandal and Clinton was impeached because of perjury. And why was he forced to lie about the whole thing and get accused of perjury? Because the American media would have destroyed his image if he admitted Monica fondled his cigar in the Oval office.

Now imagine what goes on in the mind of the average American voter when he thinks he's going to see this for 4 years in the White House:
Butti pic
"What will kids think?" "What will the rest of the world think about us, omagosh"
Thank you for spoilering that. Now I can blame only myself for feeling so grossed out.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

n0el wrote:Well I’m not the only one.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/05/opin ... insey.html
He doesn't "need" to give more info, it's not going to change anyone's mind. The only people who give a shit about this are people who would already never vote for him anyway. Breaking the NDA would:
- Enable people to criticize him for breaking contracts under pressure
- Probably get him sued, which would also hurt the campaign
- Hurt his career prospects in the private sector if he doesn't win, which is still the most likely result
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

If Sanders loses Arizona by such a large margin then that's a big problem. It means that he'll probably lose Nevada too, and Colorado and New Mexico will be in play. That pretty much costs him the election even if he does win back the rust belt. He'd have to sweep the map, essentially, while Trump would only need two more to get over the finish line.

I've always thought progressives were a bad choice this election. It seemed like they had more to lose than Hillary and less to gain. I'd like to see more data about how progressives fair out West. I think we kind of presumed that these states were just going to keep drifting more and more blue, but I see no reason for them to automatically continue the trend under vastly different candidates. Biden would probably have the West locked down.

On the bright side for my fellow Bloombois, we're about tied with Pete.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

id be more concerned with that poll if Trumps number was moving up, but its holding the same aginst all candidates
mad cuz bad
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

@n0el

1.) So I'm supposed to feel bad for... health insurance companies? I somehow doubt you would mind those workers getting laid off if Medicare for all got passed.

2.) I don't understand why people are going after Pete about this one job he had instead of criticizing him for the fact that his claim to fame is being the mayor of a shitty little town in a shitty little state. It's honestly baffling to me
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

I would mind greatly if people were laid off or lost their jobs. Any M4A bill has to account for that and surely would, look at the GND framework.
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

n0el wrote:I would mind greatly if people were laid off or lost their jobs. Any M4A bill has to account for that and surely would, look at the GND framework.
Why is it that people who work in a shitty industry deserve special rights that normal people don't get?
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Because the government is displacing their jobs. Why shouldn’t they?
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

n0el wrote:Because the government is displacing their jobs. Why shouldn’t they?
That just implies that their jobs only exist because the government created a situation where they are feasible
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
n0el wrote:I would mind greatly if people were laid off or lost their jobs. Any M4A bill has to account for that and surely would, look at the GND framework.
Why is it that people who work in a shitty industry deserve special rights that normal people don't get?
So the government tries to create a much better healthcare industry, but it results in either tens of thousands of people losing their jobs, or the government helping them out and providing them with jobs that they would just go and apply for anyway. And your response is "nah fuck them, they work in a shitty industry, I've never been given a job, so why should they?".
Like isn't it an ideal world where the government, the body elected to represent the people, work for the people, tries to help as many people as possible. How jaded and vindictive do you have to be to want everyone to lose their jobs in exchange for better healthcare when you don't have to do that.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Warren, OUCH
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

At the next debate they should ask the candidates where they stand on fixed crates
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

fightinfrenchman wrote:At the next debate they should ask the candidates where they stand on fixed crates
Well that's easy, they stand on the top.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Let's check on how that Pete surge is doing...

ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Pete has real issues.
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Yeah, like the fact that he's the mayor of a small City in Indiana. But the media has to have interesting stories and it's boring to say that the Vice President of 8 years is still winning