US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary

Post by Amsel_ »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Amsel_ wrote: Bernie talks about the "working class" a lot, but he seems to care more about millennials with student loans than, say, coal miners.
There are about 50,000 coal miners in the US. (https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CEU1021210001#0)

Way more people have student debt.
Inconsequential to the point I was making about the relationship between progressives and blue collar workers.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Amsel_ wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:I think they plan to win by speaking to independents, younger voters and minorities that usually dont vote, democrats who will vote blue no matter what and working class people that care about working class things.

It's potentially a very broad coalition. And look at how well Sanders is polling in Texas for example. In theory it can work, especially against Trump.
I don't think a radical is going to be better at convincing independents not to vote for an incumbent (which they have a bias to do) than a moderate.
Think harder then. So far Bernie is polling miles ahead of any other candidate amongst indepedents.
In theory, Sanders could build a completely dominating, New Deal-style coalition by getting the democrats on board, boosting turnout of key demographics, and winning over new blocs. It's also possible that he doesn't win any new blocs over, that certain demographics still suffer from low turnout, and not even the democrats get fully behind his campaign.
yes. Life is not about certainties. Good thinking here.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Amsel_ wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Amsel_ wrote: Bernie talks about the "working class" a lot, but he seems to care more about millennials with student loans than, say, coal miners.
There are about 50,000 coal miners in the US. (https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CEU1021210001#0)

Way more people have student debt.
Inconsequential to the point I was making about the relationship between progressives and blue collar workers.
So you think that people with student loans arent "working class"? Hint: they usually are. Why do you think its bad that he focuses on a group which has 10s of millions of people more than he focuses on a group of 50k people?
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

RefluxSemantic wrote:So far Bernie is polling miles ahead of any other candidate amongst indepedents.
I don't know about that. All the recent polls show Biden outperforming Sanders among independents.

NPR/PBS/Marist: Trump leads Biden by 2 points, leads Sanders by 4

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-content ... 171446.pdf

Quinnipiac: Biden leads Trump by 7 points, Sanders leads by 5

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-de ... aseID=3655
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

gibson wrote:
Amsel_ wrote:
Show hidden quotes
So you think that people with student loans arent "working class"? Hint: they usually are. Why do you think its bad that he focuses on a group which has 10s of millions of people more than he focuses on a group of 50k people?
I already addressed the ambiguity of the term "working class" in the post fightinfrenchman responded to. The actual constitution of the "working class" does not concern me, as I am against class warfare, and proletarianism. I do not see value in being considered "working class" over any other class. However, my point was that - in spite of frequently talking about the "working class" in speeches - he seems to be speaking to a specific demographic: millenials who struggle with student loans and healthcare, and that it's hard to imagine him connecting with blue collar workers. It would be dangerous to consider both a blue collar worker and an indebted college grad as "working class" and then to appeal to the indebted college grad, and use this person's "working class" support as evidence that the blue collar worker will support you.

I didn't even say it was a bad thing to appeal to the tens of millions of people with student debt. Politically speaking, that's a good move. My concern rests entirely in the fact that I do not believe Sanders can come across as a friend to blue collar workers the way Trump and some moderate democrats can; that the "working class" support of people with student debt does not guarantee the working class support of people who do manual labor.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Why do you think he doesn’t connect with “blue collar workers”? Out of curiousity
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

There's only one 2020 candidate who is pro "corrupt Democratic politician" and it's not any of the "establishment" Democrats.

Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

One big problem I have with the left is that they don't seem to really care about Trump's abuses of power, which leads me to believe that if they actually gained power they would abuse it in the same way.

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

The far left and the far right are two peas in a pod
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

fightinfrenchman wrote:One big problem I have with the left is that they don't seem to really care about Trump's abuses of power, which leads me to believe that if they actually gained power they would abuse it in the same way.

Do you think that tweet is not sarcastic?
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

@n0el Any evidence it is?

ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

If you followed Ryan Grim you’d know it was
mad cuz bad
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I am the ear and I pretend to be involved with politics but I dont care about any ideologies or policies unless it directly affects me and I base my entire opinion on how the supporters of candidates I dont like behave.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

RefluxSemantic wrote:I am the ear and I pretend to be involved with politics but I dont care about any ideologies or policies unless it directly affects me and I base my entire opinion on how the supporters of candidates I dont like behave.
What are you talking about? The issues I care about the most don't really affect my life directly at all.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

RefluxSemantic wrote:I am the ear and I pretend to be involved with politics but I dont care about any ideologies or policies unless it directly affects me and I base my entire opinion on how the supporters of candidates I dont like behave.
Funny you calling him out for that when people like yourself noel trevor etc talk about how youd rather have Trump then bloomberg
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

@gibson what
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

if bloomberg were the democratic nominee, and i had to vote for trump over bloomdberg and trump won the 2020 presidential election, and trump then enacted a policy that directly harmed my demographic, i would think that's rad as fuck. more fuel for the revolution
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

gibson wrote:
Funny you calling him out for that when people like yourself noel trevor etc talk about how youd rather have Trump then bloomberg
For the record I never said that
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

I also never said that I base my opinion on a candidate based on the behavior of their supporters.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

fightinfrenchman wrote:I also never said that I base my opinion on a candidate based on the behavior of their supporters.
The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree though...
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

n0el wrote:
gibson wrote:
For the record I never said that
Yea you just said how they’d be the same, which is obviously untrue
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

occamslightsaber wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:I also never said that I base my opinion on a candidate based on the behavior of their supporters.
The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree though...
My concern is more with people who are elevated to staff on a campaign who behave like shit heads.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

iNcog wrote:
gibson wrote:
I mean it's pretty alarming that billionaires keep entering the election for fun
Agreed but that’s not relevant to anything I said.