US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Ignoring policy, he seems worse to me just on the grounds of buying elections. At least Bloomberg has held public office before, Steyer is literally just a billionaire.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Pretty sure Steyer is better than Bloomberg on policy. Not that thats saying much.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Well so far Steyer either isn't as rich as Bloomberg or isn't willing to shell out as much cash
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:Talking about actual policies, rather than useless semantics seems difficult for you ear. Your semantics give me reflux.
I don't understand what you mean by this. I'm asking questions in order to better understand peoples positions, I don't want to make assumptions based on limited information.
You're not though. You're continuously asking very charged questions, fishing for certain answers which you can use against certain supporters of certain candidates. You continuously fail and try again. I dont think this is at all in good faith.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

I'm asking questions of specific people here to understand their points of view, not to generalize the positions of all supporters of a specific candidate. I don't think I've really failed in doing that
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:Talking about actual policies, rather than useless semantics seems difficult for you ear. Your semantics give me reflux.
I don't understand what you mean by this. I'm asking questions in order to better understand peoples positions, I don't want to make assumptions based on limited information.
You're not though. You're continuously asking very charged questions, fishing for certain answers which you can use against certain supporters of certain candidates. You continuously fail and try again. I dont think this is at all in good faith.
He might be asking obvious questions, but those can still be very powerful, and elucidating in understanding someone else's perspective. Nothing about what he asked me was "charged", in my opinion.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Not a terrible idea

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Man these questions are so charged!
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

People criticize me for complaining about annoying behavior from Sanders supporters but here is his Press Secretary lying about Bloomberg for no reason. Bloomberg has said and done plenty of racist, sexist, and transphobic things, in addition to praising Xi Jinping and justifying Russia's annexation of Crimea. You don't need to lie about him in order to point out how bad he is!

"Bloomberg LP, the business-news-focused media company founded and owned by the 77-year-old multi-billionaire has been hit with nearly 40 discrimination and harassment suits from 64 employees that have regained currency since Bloomberg announced his run for the Democratic presidential nomination."

https://nypost.com/2019/11/27/bloomberg ... k-culture/
Attachments
gray.png
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

I love how Vermin Supreme did better in the libertarian New Hampshire primary than the guy who was a Governor and a Senator.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

Ok I feel like we can do better on this thread, so new talking point. Should the filibuster be done away with? Has the abolition of the filibuster in 2013 and in 2017 helped or hurt democracy in the U.S?
ā€œTo love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.ā€
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

wardyb1 wrote:Ok I feel like we can do better on this thread, so new talking point. Should the filibuster be done away with? Has the abolition of the filibuster in 2013 and in 2017 helped or hurt democracy in the U.S?
It needs to be done away with at this point, but in an ideal world it wouldn't have been removed for judges/justices already. Unfortunately one of the two parties refuses to try to actually be popular so they have no choice but to use anti-democratic means of holding onto power.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

Amsel_ wrote:I love how Vermin Supreme did better in the libertarian New Hampshire primary than the guy who was a Governor and a Senator.
how you anyone not support a presidency built on giving free ponies and traveling back through time to defeat the nazis
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Amsel_ wrote:I love how Vermin Supreme did better in the libertarian New Hampshire primary than the guy who was a Governor and a Senator.
I think Libertarian primaries don't mean shit and the delegates or whatever just pledge to someone else at the convention.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

deleted_user wrote:
I think Libertarian primaries don't mean shit and the delegates or whatever just pledge to someone else at the convention.
Honestly very inspiring
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

wardyb1 wrote:Ok I feel like we can do better on this thread, so new talking point. Should the filibuster be done away with? Has the abolition of the filibuster in 2013 and in 2017 helped or hurt democracy in the U.S?
absolutely needs to be destroyed if we are ever going to pass any progressive legislation, like universal healthcare. it was specifically designed as a way for an entrenched minority to stymie any changes that the majority demands
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

RefluxSemantic wrote:I am the ear and I pretend to be involved with politics but I dont care about any ideologies or policies unless it directly affects me and I base my entire opinion on how the supporters of candidates I dont like behave.
Ear's opinions are a lot more nuanced than yours tbh. That you don't agree with them doesn't mean they're not based on anything.
He studied political science btw.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Cometk wrote:The precedent and lasting impact (damage) for the Democratic Party outweighs being slightly better on policy. That's why Bloomberg is no better than Trump
Also, Trump is doing lasting damage to the GOP which is already having trouble connecting with young voters. That's good for dems long term, too.

But I think the damage to the GOP is largely already done, as they have fully embraced Trumpism and anti-democracy. And considering Bloomberg is much (not slightly) better on policy than Trump I don't think another Trump term is worth it. Also I don't think Bloomberg would necessarily do that much more damage to the democratic party than Sanders would.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Goodspeed wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:I am the ear and I pretend to be involved with politics but I dont care about any ideologies or policies unless it directly affects me and I base my entire opinion on how the supporters of candidates I dont like behave.
Ear's opinions are a lot more nuanced than yours tbh. That you don't agree with them doesn't mean they're not based on anything.
I would give nuanced opinions, but the last time I tried to do that you told me to stop.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: ķŒ€ ķ•˜ģš°ģŠ¤

Post by n0el »

Wait what? You think sanders would do more damage to the Democratic Party than bloomberg? Are you being sarcastic?
mad cuz bad
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

n0el wrote:Wait what? You think sanders would do more damage to the Democratic Party than bloomberg? Are you being sarcastic?
That's not what I said. I know the letters are small, but please reread it before you come at me guns blazing.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
I would give nuanced opinions, but the last time I tried to do that you told me to stop.
The health care thing? I'm personally not interested in a detailed discussion about US health care but you're obviously welcome to post your nuanced opinion on it. By all means.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

n0el wrote:Wait what? You think sanders would do more damage to the Democratic Party than bloomberg? Are you being sarcastic?
Guess it depends on how you are defining "damage" and the "party"? Like Sanders might hurt the DNC because he isn't a neolib and doesn't align with how things are done at the moment. So that could "damage" the party if he forces them to change their direction. Bloomberg is the opposite, he could destroy the Democratic base, but the actual DNC he would fit in perfectly as the corrupt neolib that he would be.
ā€œTo love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.ā€
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: ķŒ€ ķ•˜ģš°ģŠ¤

Post by n0el »

Uhhh, It is what you said. If I said, I donā€™t think Bloomberg would necessarily do more damage to the country than Trump would. How would you interpret that? Must be misunderstanding that you are trying to say.
mad cuz bad
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Can you cast an empty vote? Thats what I usually do in the Netherlands when I consider something bullshit. In Trump vs Bloomberg I'd do that.

Bloomberg is a republican. Yes vote blue no matter what, sure, but voting Bloomberg isnt voting blue.