US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

I am trying to find a progressive I like, I thought Yang was great but I am not really sure what to make of him joining CNN. He didn't exactly get the best treatment from liberal media. But maybe he can promote it more and in 2024 make it a viable platform, along with the other problems he was trying to bring light to.

I guess Buttieg is kind of likeable but I didn't really see enough to feel comfortable voting for anyone. Even Biden was looking as some of the best of the group.
People like sanders and warren do concern me though. With just unrealistic proposals.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

occamslightsaber wrote:Got another message from the Sanders campaign. May be I should actually respond for them to stop trying? This is the third time.
Hi [my name]! It's Caleb with Bernie 2020. Bernie has been fighting against greed and corruption for decades. That's why he's the candidate I trust to take on the billionaire class and make our economy work for all of us. Are you in for Bernie?
I just told them the truth, I'm more interested in other candidates.
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

Let’s see how many I can actually get.
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

I was getting them from yang gang, I actually replied with comments and someone engaged in a conversation for a while... i thought it was all automated.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:I am trying to find a progressive I like, I thought Yang was great but I am not really sure what to make of him joining CNN. He didn't exactly get the best treatment from liberal media. But maybe he can promote it more and in 2024 make it a viable platform, along with the other problems he was trying to bring light to.

I guess Buttieg is kind of likeable but I didn't really see enough to feel comfortable voting for anyone. Even Biden was looking as some of the best of the group.
People like sanders and warren do concern me though. With just unrealistic proposals.
Watch the following interview. It's what made him stand out to me.

Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:I am trying to find a progressive I like, I thought Yang was great but I am not really sure what to make of him joining CNN. He didn't exactly get the best treatment from liberal media. But maybe he can promote it more and in 2024 make it a viable platform, along with the other problems he was trying to bring light to.

I'll try to engage faithfully. You liked Yang because of his UBI, and you are now trying to find another progressive/dem so you can hopefully further push Yang's vision into limelight for the next 4 years? Have I summed that up fairly? If so what are you looking for in a candidate? What would you like out of the future for healthcare, climate change, changing how politics works in Washington and foreign policy? If you could answer those, I'll try and say who is the candidate for you or who you should look into.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

Also tonight was a great test for whoever would go against Trump. Lots of attacks thrown, got heated. Proved to a lot of people just how useless Bloomberg would be on the stage. I think Trump will be weaker on the debate stage this time around, probably less attack points, only real strong strength is the economy which can be taken down, and I don't think he is as sharp as he was when he ran the first time. But without a real test run against people who are coming at you, someone could be caught of guard. Obviously Trump will make up a lot more fake bullshit than what was seen tonight but still was a good test.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
howlingwolfpaw wrote:I mean if they want to make it this hard to find videos of it I guess they dont want my vote.
Great, don't vote then.
A true Biden supporter
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

wardyb1 wrote:Also tonight was a great test for whoever would go against Trump. Lots of attacks thrown, got heated. Proved to a lot of people just how useless Bloomberg would be on the stage. I think Trump will be weaker on the debate stage this time around, probably less attack points, only real strong strength is the economy which can be taken down, and I don't think he is as sharp as he was when he ran the first time. But without a real test run against people who are coming at you, someone could be caught of guard. Obviously Trump will make up a lot more fake bullshit than what was seen tonight but still was a good test.
Sanders is the only candidate who has consistently been under attack without his campaign suffering. Obviously I am biased, but I think this is something anyone should agree with. It seems like a positive sign for a Trump vs Bernie matchup.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

wardyb1 wrote:Also tonight was a great test for whoever would go against Trump. Lots of attacks thrown, got heated. Proved to a lot of people just how useless Bloomberg would be on the stage. I think Trump will be weaker on the debate stage this time around, probably less attack points, only real strong strength is the economy which can be taken down, and I don't think he is as sharp as he was when he ran the first time. But without a real test run against people who are coming at you, someone could be caught of guard. Obviously Trump will make up a lot more fake bullshit than what was seen tonight but still was a good test.

That is why Buttigieg stood out to me, has a nice calm demeanor and a personable way about explaining things. I like his youthful energy and optimism. of all the people up there he is the one I would like to have a lunch with.
Biden has that all American feel to him. I would feel ok with him taking on the nomination.

I really wanted to like Warren when I first saw she was entering the race but she is just off putting for some reason, and her policies are too close to Bernies that I just think are too much too fast.
Bernie is just too extreme and his policies are dangerous and too expensive. His mannerisms are not appealing and the age health thing is a concern. I will not vote to pay for personal college investment.
klobuchar was pretty much not apart of the parts I saw. I really have no opinion of her good or bad, I just see her as along for the ride.
Bloomberg had a couple moments, I like how he said we were not going to end capitalism. It hurts him this was his first debate and now has to have all the new mud flung at him, I actually would like to hear more from him surprisingly.

Yang was still 10x the candidate of any up there though... but they are all still puppets of the bankers who are robbing the country blind. They talk about income inequality, but over look that its just hypocritical.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

wardyb1 wrote:

I'll try to engage faithfully. You liked Yang because of his UBI, and you are now trying to find another progressive/dem so you can hopefully further push Yang's vision into limelight for the next 4 years? Have I summed that up fairly? If so what are you looking for in a candidate? What would you like out of the future for healthcare, climate change, changing how politics works in Washington and foreign policy? If you could answer those, I'll try and say who is the candidate for you or who you should look into.
If you have read my post about an new economic prosperity plan, you would see I think a form of UBI is the future we need. A capitalism that does not start at zero. This helps to level the field and has so many bonuses to it. It would be a shame to see that opportunity go to programs that pander to certain groups. Its not just Yangs, vision, he was just the messenger for it.

I believe we need health care reform for sure... That's why a govt option seems like the best way to transition and allow people to built into it to compete with the private and test to see if it works. trying to go all in at once is sure to have big repercussions. I remember when everyone had to sign up for Obama care it broke the website. this would be magnitudes bigger.

Trumps roll backs on environmental reforms are his weakest point, but I realize hes trying to make us more economically viable in a world that is not so keen on getting with the same program. Climate change isn't going to stop, the policies are not necessarily going to help other than cost more. For instance in a county I used to live in there were too many houses and it was killing the rivers in runoff from sprawl growth. To try to fix this, they put caps on houses, but could pay a fee to get an exception, so what happened, those fees just got written into the building developments cost and the money went to the govt but not to help with the problems. Back to point, without India and China to join in its a whole lot of expense for a doomed ideology. At least on the scale Sanders proposes.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

Mmmm ok I'm a bit confused on some of your stances as they seem not super thought out but I will try to remain as impartial as possible. On healthcare, you probably would prefer Biden, Buttigieg or Klobuchar considering you seem very hung up on how things would be paid for. Can't guarantee it would do much for your country but that is for you to choose. If you want to read more on what they all think on healthcare here you go: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... tic-debate

On the environment, any democratic candidate would probably make you happy again. On my own personal view, as a country you need to start moving drastically anyway, whether China or India move or not. It's not like a game of chicken where whoever moves last wins, because you only lose when the world is on fire. Everyone is going to have to move and in a large way. On top of that, by moving first you get your infrastructure in place earlier, you transition your economies earlier meaning you have more room to move if something bad happens which they will when natural disasters become more frequent. The world is pretty much already guaranteed to rise 1.5C, and that's if we all overdo our Paris Climate Agreements by a long shot. Realistically we are on track closer to 3C+. That's really fucking bad. Paying for the GND will be the least of your concerns if we hit 3C+. But if you are set in your views, anyone will probably make you happy and the moderates probably align most with your beliefs.

Your only other statement is about level playing fields and not pandering to certain groups. Well then you are probably looking at Sanders. Most of his policies don't single out anyone. Healthcare is a human right. His college debt plan would be for everyone. GND is for everyone. But I know once again your concerned about paying for things, but I'm not sure where you sit on tax policy and what not. Also if your statement was about identity politics, well then no candidate will be great for you because that is pandering that everyone has to do nowadays to not get cancelled. Warren would probably be the worst candidate if you were worried about that.

All in all, from your statements, you should be a #VoteBlueNoMatterWhat. Because none of your beliefs align with the GOP's. Like they may have aligned 40 years ago, but no longer and to vote Red would probably go against your personal interests. No candidate is going to align perfectly with what you want in the Dem primary. So you should really just support whichever candidate you wish in the primary, but back in whoever gets the nom in the GE. Because if Sanders gets in, most of his stuff won't get passed anyway in regards to paying for it but he will certainly be trying to level the playing field. If a moderate gets in, they have a slightly better chance of passing big agenda items, but still little chance but will once again slowly help environmental reforms etc.

Sorry for the wall of text.
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

Bloomberg also should have told his underlings to disable the comment section and like/dislike numbers.
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

@fightinfrenchman
Proponents of natural gas have said that natural gas is a climate-friendly fossil fuel because it produces less GHG emissions when burned compared to other fossil fuels. According to the Natural Gas Supply Association, natural gas produces half the CO2 emissions of coal. But that doesn’t make fracking clean! The lifecycle greenhouse gas emissions – that is the combined emissions associated with extraction, combustion, and methane and CO2 releases – means that fracked gas can be as dirty as coal. Fracking releases large amounts of natural gas – which consists of both CO2 and methane – directly into the atmosphere. In fact, fracking wells leak 40 to 60 per cent more methane than conventional natural gas wells. This happens when water is forced down into a fracking well in order to fracture the rock formations. Methane flows up the well and is released into the atmosphere before it can be captured. The leaked methane is called “fugitive methane” and has been detected using infrared videos. It is identified as different from naturally
occurring methane.
Methane in particular is a very powerful greenhouse gas. It can trap 20 to 25 times more heat in the atmosphere than CO2 . Two Cornell scientists who have been studying fracking in the U.S. estimate that in the next 20 years methane will make up 44 per cent of the U.S.’s GHG emissions. Along with contributing to global warming pollution, methane leaks kill plants and trees, contribute to ozone formation, and causes natural gas explosions, which have resulted in an average of 17 deaths and 68 injuries per year in the United States alone.
TLDR, fracking produces less CO2 but much more Methane.
mad cuz bad
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Damn, fracking is terrible then. Methane is like co2 on steroids.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

wardyb1 wrote:Mmmm ok I'm a bit confused on some of your stances as they seem not super thought out but I will try to remain as impartial as possible. On healthcare, you probably would prefer Biden, Buttigieg or Klobuchar considering you seem very hung up on how things would be paid for. Can't guarantee it would do much for your country but that is for you to choose. If you want to read more on what they all think on healthcare here you go: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... tic-debate

On the environment, any democratic candidate would probably make you happy again. On my own personal view, as a country you need to start moving drastically anyway, whether China or India move or not. It's not like a game of chicken where whoever moves last wins, because you only lose when the world is on fire. Everyone is going to have to move and in a large way. On top of that, by moving first you get your infrastructure in place earlier, you transition your economies earlier meaning you have more room to move if something bad happens which they will when natural disasters become more frequent. The world is pretty much already guaranteed to rise 1.5C, and that's if we all overdo our Paris Climate Agreements by a long shot. Realistically we are on track closer to 3C+. That's really fucking bad. Paying for the GND will be the least of your concerns if we hit 3C+. But if you are set in your views, anyone will probably make you happy and the moderates probably align most with your beliefs.

Your only other statement is about level playing fields and not pandering to certain groups. Well then you are probably looking at Sanders. Most of his policies don't single out anyone. Healthcare is a human right. His college debt plan would be for everyone. GND is for everyone. But I know once again your concerned about paying for things, but I'm not sure where you sit on tax policy and what not. Also if your statement was about identity politics, well then no candidate will be great for you because that is pandering that everyone has to do nowadays to not get cancelled. Warren would probably be the worst candidate if you were worried about that.

All in all, from your statements, you should be a #VoteBlueNoMatterWhat. Because none of your beliefs align with the GOP's. Like they may have aligned 40 years ago, but no longer and to vote Red would probably go against your personal interests. No candidate is going to align perfectly with what you want in the Dem primary. So you should really just support whichever candidate you wish in the primary, but back in whoever gets the nom in the GE. Because if Sanders gets in, most of his stuff won't get passed anyway in regards to paying for it but he will certainly be trying to level the playing field. If a moderate gets in, they have a slightly better chance of passing big agenda items, but still little chance but will once again slowly help environmental reforms etc.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Nice reply thank you.

For one thing I do not fully understand, is that we already have medicaid for low income families. I am on it now, and it is better than what services I was getting when my job was paying for it. I believe in having the social services there for people but also not forcing people out of a plan that they like, its anti freedom. I think though if people had more access to it, would want to join. I think the reason why they want it for all is that it would become a high cost dumping ground for the people the private market would find too risky or expensive to insure, and then it would end up costing more and look bad or services go down hill from there. There is no easy fix to this, when we live in a state of such fraud and corruption.

The problem is making new energy sources economically competitive. We cant just get rid of a hundred years of automobiles and energy infrastructure in 4-8 years. I think Sanders green deal was gonna cost something like 28 trillion dollars, and put gas prices through the roof to entice people to buy electric. Developing nations have a better chance of this because they could skip all that initial investment in coal and gas to get to a more sustainable future prior. But there are still environmental cost in the rare metals that may not even be in sufficient supply to make this all happen. Its a tricky situation. Most of the plastic in the ocean is coming from India and the 3rd world that has no infrastructure to recycles or deal with the trash. Unless there is some suppressed technology that can come to light we are pretty much gonna face these problems and watch the world unravel as it transitions into a new age.

offering free college and debt forgiveness of college debt, certainly panders to young voters. The only part that makes it for everyone is that everyone will pay for it. His policies just want the govt to take over everything and make it all better, but that just is rarely the case when it does. I do not want to find taxes increased to pay for someone else's personal education investment. Its a bad investment for the individual as well, to pay a life time of taxes for education when it could be an investment they pay off in years with smart money management.

I get frustrated no one addresses a huge concern to the whole equation, of our fraudulent banking system, and all these voters get rallied to vote for more means of oppression.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

If Sanders goes into the convention with a plurality of the delegates, but doesn't get the nomination, then the democratic party is dead.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

n0el wrote:
wardyb1 wrote:Bloomberg is getting bodied early by everyone. FeelsGoodMan
Pete seems like he’s going to drop out and endorse him before the nights over.
Forgot to ask, what made you say this?
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

RefluxSemantic wrote:If Sanders goes into the convention but a plurality of the delegates, but doesn't get the nomination, then the democratic party is dead.
that's for sure
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

n0el wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:If Sanders goes into the convention but a plurality of the delegates, but doesn't get the nomination, then the democratic party is dead.
that's for sure
Would you feel the same way if somebody else went into the convention with a plurality of delegates?
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
n0el wrote:
that's for sure
Would you feel the same way if somebody else went into the convention with a plurality of delegates?
Without a shimmer of doubt.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

RefluxSemantic wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Without a shimmer of doubt.
What if the delegates were aligned like this:

34% Bloomberg
33% Biden
33% Sanders
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

In that case I would say whoever has the most votes.
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

n0el wrote:In that case I would say whoever has the most votes.
That's not what Bernie said in 2016
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

i dont care, that is what i think
mad cuz bad