US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Goodspeed wrote:
Vinyanyérë wrote:
Show hidden quotes
What if you're salaried and voting gives you an excuse to not show up for a couple hours and also you get a cool sticker
Then you take the hours, say you're gonna vote, and go do something more useful like play Go
I'm pretty sure you can just play Go at work.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

iNcog wrote:
Cometk wrote:c'mon, it's at least a little funny

dishonest media, no wonder trump gets away with saying the shit he says
Theres literally nothing dishonest about that, if anything thats a pro Bernie spin showing that he has more support than the 3 most popular moderate candidates combined.....
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I appreciated this video
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Then you take the hours, say you're gonna vote, and go do something more useful like play Go
I'm pretty sure you can just play Go at work.
Yeah I do that. But if you're at work people expect things from you so you can't spend all your time playing Go. If you have a few hours off to "vote", there's no such restriction.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

gibson wrote:
iNcog wrote:
spoiler
dishonest media, no wonder trump gets away with saying the shit he says
Theres literally nothing dishonest about that
I think it is a bit disingenuous though, implying that the moderate vote would combine like that if some of them dropped out. For starters, I'm pretty sure Warren is rather progressive. Secondly, many people voting for these candidates have Bernie as their second choice, so he will get more votes even if all the moderates rally behind a single candidate.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
gibson wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Theres literally nothing dishonest about that
I think it is a bit disingenuous though, implying that the moderate vote would combine like that if some of them dropped out. For starters, I'm pretty sure Warren is rather progressive. Secondly, many people voting for these candidates have Bernie as their second choice, so he will get more votes even if all the moderates rally behind a single candidate.
I would argue that its a pro Bernie spin, showing that hes more popular than the 3 most popular moderate candidates combined.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Anyway, even if this isnt a bit disingenuous, which is very well could be, there are plenty of things that are. However, that's a far cry from the "Dishonest media" that Bernie supporters are always crying about.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Last night I thought CNN was pretty fair.
MSNBC on the other hand... They are super biased.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Again being biased is completely different than being dishonest. When people accuse the media of baselessly being dishonest they are using the exact same dangerous talking point that Trump uses, which is if they arent giving me positive coverage theyre lying.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

gibson wrote:Again being biased is completely different than being dishonest. When people accuse the media of baselessly being dishonest they are using the exact same dangerous talking point that Trump uses, which is if they arent giving me positive coverage theyre lying.
Implying that when Sanders is elected he'll be executing people in central park is pretty dishonest though :flowers:
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
gibson wrote:Again being biased is completely different than being dishonest. When people accuse the media of baselessly being dishonest they are using the exact same dangerous talking point that Trump uses, which is if they arent giving me positive coverage theyre lying.
Implying that when Sanders is elected he'll be executing people in central park is pretty dishonest though :flowers:
Yea there have been specific anchors that have said some incorrect stuff, not just about Sanders. However, thats not the message of the news organization.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

MSNBC has been a disaster this primary season. Joy Reid, Chris Matthews, Jason Johnson, etc... clearly all hate Bernie.
mad cuz bad
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Just got survey'd for a Michigan poll by text. It was so biased. One of the questions was who would you support, Donald Trump who is fighting to keep americans safe, and stopping illegal immigration and arresting illegal immigrants who are murdereres and rapists, OR, a democrat who supports sanctuary cities, where illegal immigrants are brought in and where there is high crime because of it.
mad cuz bad
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

That's known as push polling yeah? Seems like a really nasty practice. There should probably be laws against it, especially considering it's a way to invest in a candidate without officially donating to their campaign.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

n0el wrote:Just got survey'd for a Michigan poll by text. It was so biased. One of the questions was who would you support, Donald Trump who is fighting to keep americans safe, and stopping illegal immigration and arresting illegal immigrants who are murdereres and rapists, OR, a democrat who supports sanctuary cities, where illegal immigrants are brought in and where there is high crime because of it.
I had a youtube ad asking to take a poll that was almost exactly the same. It felt very satisfying to answer the questions in the way they didnt want me to.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

n0el wrote:Just got survey'd for a Michigan poll by text. It was so biased. One of the questions was who would you support, Donald Trump who is fighting to keep americans safe, and stopping illegal immigration and arresting illegal immigrants who are murdereres and rapists, OR, a democrat who supports sanctuary cities, where illegal immigrants are brought in and where there is high crime because of it.
What the fuck haha. America never ceases to amaze me.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Remarks of a push poller:

"In part because of our successful manipulation of his campaign themes, George Bush won handily," Mr. Atwater said.

"While I didn't invent negative politics," he said, "I am one of its most ardent practitioners."

"He writes and calls regularly -- and I have learned a lesson: Politics and human relationships are separate. I may disagree with Ron Brown's message, but I can love him as a man."

"My illness has taught me something about the nature of humanity, love, brotherhood, and relationships that I never understood, and probably never would have. So, from that standpoint, there is some truth and good in everything."

"My illness helped me to see that what was missing in society is what was missing in me: a little heart, a lot of brotherhood. The 1980s were about acquiring – acquiring wealth, power, prestige. I know. I acquired more wealth, power, and prestige than most. But you can acquire all you want and still feel empty. What power wouldn't I trade for a little more time with my family? What price wouldn't I pay for an evening with friends? It took a deadly illness to put me eye to eye with that truth, but it is a truth that the country, caught up in its ruthless ambitions and moral decay, can learn on my dime. I don't know who will lead us through the '90s, but they must be made to speak to this spiritual vacuum at the heart of American society, this tumor of the soul."
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

"Easy for you to say, you're dying"
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

So, where's the other 40% of the results?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

I'm trying to rationalize to myself that Bernie won't be so bad, but then I see shit like this. Do Bernie supporters really want this version of Bernie as president?

Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

What else would you expect? How do you think progressive policies are ever going to be passed? Politely ask Joe Manchin?
mad cuz bad
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

I don't want an authoritarian president.

Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

The “poll” I got on the phone last week was “Do you think corporations should pay their fair share of taxes?” I was so incredulous about the absurdity of the question that I just answered with a delayed “sure”. The volunteer/worker who asked me was pretty embarrassed by the question too and said everyone agrees on that.
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

fightinfrenchman wrote:I don't want an authoritarian president.

What about that is authoritarian? Using his movement to push politicians to the left? Like Kyle said, that’s called politics.
mad cuz bad