US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary

Post by Cometk »

So, anything about her actual policies or what she supports that aligns her with Republicans, other than that she has crossover appeal?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

She voted "present" on impeaching Trump instead of supporting it
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Oh wow, yeah guess she’s a Republican
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I highly reccomend everyone watch "Boogie Man: Lee Atwater's Story" if you want to understand American politics. It's available online for free.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I would've voted for Dukakis.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:Also it's fucking bullshit how 34.2% of the initial votes ends up giving you 47.5% of the county delegates and possibly even a bigger share of the delegates.
Caucuses are bad, we already know this
Yes but the second alignment only bumps Sanders from 34 to 40. The other 7% is coming from some other ridiculous undemocratic thing thats too American for me to understand.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

RefluxSemantic wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:Also it's fucking bullshit how 34.2% of the initial votes ends up giving you 47.5% of the county delegates and possibly even a bigger share of the delegates.
Yes but the second alignment only bumps Sanders from 34 to 40. The other 7% is coming from some other ridiculous undemocratic thing thats too American for me to understand.
Try focusing your attention on your own country's politics instead, or something more important like ESOC shitposting.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
The extra 7% is from the fact that delegates can't be broken down to decimals. So when you could win a caucus. Bernie may get 3 delegates, and Pete may get 2. Everyone else didn't make viability. So Bernie has got 60% of the delegates. Yet Bernie doesn't have to get 60% of the vote to get that extra delegate. It all just comes down to maths and how it is all rounded up or down. If you could win 2.4 delegates then Bernie's delegates would be much closer to that initial 40% number.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Look at the insane replies to this tweet, then realize that the same account tweeted that Bernie was the projected winner like 20 hours before this.

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Its shit like this that makes me really not like Bernie Supporters.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ConsiderateAggr ... oneyBadger
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Leftists love Trump because they desperately want to be the people who are authoritarians and can punish their political opponents. They're awful
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

fightinfrenchman wrote:Leftists love Trump
?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Cometk wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:Leftists love Trump
?
The number one goal of American leftists is to attack mainstream liberals, and they love the fact that Trump does that.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Somebody who has an opinion that actually matters

Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Trump is gonna love all the in-party liberal slander thrown towards the eventual democratic nominee Sanders during the election
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

fightinfrenchman wrote:Leftists love Trump because they desperately want to be the people who are authoritarians and can punish their political opponents. They're awful
What a coincidence: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... p.amp.html
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Cometk wrote:Trump is gonna love all the in-party liberal slander thrown towards the eventual democratic nominee Sanders during the election
Do you think he might love the slander towards any other candidate who isn't Sanders from pro-Sanders people, considering he's always talking about how Sanders is being treated unfairly?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

occamslightsaber wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:Leftists love Trump because they desperately want to be the people who are authoritarians and can punish their political opponents. They're awful
Bernie is definitely not as bad as Trump, but a significant part of his enthusiastic supporters have overlap with some of the shitty traits of Trump supporters. I'm not going to pay the New York Times opinion writers' salaries to read whatever you posted though.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

Sorry maybe I didn't say it loud enough before. STOP TAKING TWITTER AS REAL LIFE. PLEASE IT IS NOT HEALTHY. READ SOME POLICY POSITIONS. NOT WHAT DUMB IDIOTS LOOKING FOR ATTENTION ON SOCIAL MEDIA ARE SAYING. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

wardyb1 wrote:Sorry maybe I didn't say it loud enough before. STOP TAKING TWITTER AS REAL LIFE. PLEASE IT IS NOT HEALTHY. READ SOME POLICY POSITIONS. NOT WHAT DUMB IDIOTS LOOKING FOR ATTENTION ON SOCIAL MEDIA ARE SAYING. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
A candidate's policy positions are even further removed from real life than Twitter, especially someone like Sanders.
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
occamslightsaber wrote:
Bernie is definitely not as bad as Trump, but a significant part of his enthusiastic supporters have overlap with some of the shitty traits of Trump supporters. I'm not going to pay the New York Times opinion writers' salaries to read whatever you posted though.
I’m pretty sure the first 10 articles or so are free, but here is a quote that sums up much of the op-ed (which is less substantiative than I thought it would be):
America under a Sanders presidency would still be America, both because Sanders is an infinitely better human being than Trump and because the Democratic Party wouldn’t enable abuse of power the way Republicans have.
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Cometk wrote:Trump is gonna love all the in-party liberal slander thrown towards the eventual democratic nominee Sanders during the election
You mean the slander from Bernie supporters towards pete biden etc?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

occamslightsaber wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I’m pretty sure the first 10 articles or so are free, but here is a quote that sums up much of the op-ed (which is less substantiative than I thought it would be):
America under a Sanders presidency would still be America, both because Sanders is an infinitely better human being than Trump and because the Democratic Party wouldn’t enable abuse of power the way Republicans have.
Yeah I've hit that limit already. I've already said multiple times I will donate to, volunteer for, and vote for Bernie in the general election. I just think he's very awful
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

gibson wrote:
You mean the slander from Bernie supporters towards pete biden etc?
That doesn't count because they pretend that they're going to focus their anger on Republicans eventually even though they obviously won't
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

You can download a free paywall bypass to get around that NYT paywall. It's quite nice. Just google NYT paywall bypass.