US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary

Post by gibson »

The last time I voted was in 4th grade for class president and I hope to die that way!
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

RefluxSemantic wrote:You should know I believe that voting is irrelevant
Very excited for Bernie's political revolution that doesn't involve voting
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

iNcog wrote:
gibson wrote:The last time I voted was in 4th grade for class president and I hope to die that way!
don't bitch about your country being shit i guess
pass
Attachments
nope.jpg
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

iNcog wrote:
gibson wrote:The last time I voted was in 4th grade for class president and I hope to die that way!
As if voting would change shit
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:You should know I believe that voting is irrelevant
Very excited for Bernie's political revolution that doesn't involve voting
The world doesnt change if an individual votes or not, unless it is actually precisely the deciding vote.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

this attitude is why boomers keep getting away with passing and upholding shit laws
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
iNcog wrote:
As if voting would change shit
People have made that absurdly stupid statement to me many times, acting like they have the moral high ground to complain because they do something that makes them feel like they're making a difference, when in reality they arent doing shit.
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

it's because attitudinal malaise towards voting isn't individual, it's societal and when everyone shares your attitude it means you will never get the change you want
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Cometk wrote:it's because attitudinal malaise towards voting isn't individual, it's societal and when everyone shares your attitude it means you will never get the change you want
Correct, but that doesnt change the fact that I only have 1 vote and that 1 vote in and of itself is irrelevant and casting it isnt going to cause others to vote either.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

gibson wrote:
Cometk wrote:it's because attitudinal malaise towards voting isn't individual, it's societal and when everyone shares your attitude it means you will never get the change you want
Correct, but that doesnt change the fact that I only have 1 vote and that 1 vote in and of itself is irrelevant and casting it isnt going to cause others to vote either.
This.

Yes, if nobody thought like that then things would be better, but one person voting or not voting doesn't change anything. Even if Gibson convinces 10 others, it's very unlikely that it will matter. I personally vote for the symbolism, not because I think my vote really matters.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Appeal shouldn't be taken to mass effect, it should be to individual philosophy. Apathy just isn't good.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

If you want to support sanders you need to strategically not vote
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

deleted_user wrote:Appeal shouldn't be taken to mass effect, it should be to individual philosophy. Apathy just isn't good.
That's such a silly statement. So when Gibson actually votes, that means millions of other young people will vote too? When you wonder if your behaviour is influential, you should look at the impact of your behaviour only. You shouldn't consider if your behaviour is influential by going "what if everyone did what you do". You influence your own behaviour and only your own behaviour. What the others do is unrelated to what you do.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

That is absolutely not what I was saying at all.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Then I might have misunderstood. Hard to understand you sometimes when your posts are intentionally vague.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

The appeal [to vote] shouldn't cite the gross effect of everyone [who doesn't, or does, vote], it should appeal to individuals' individual philosophy, their outlook on life, that is, to do something as opposed to doing nothing. There are overwhelming nihilist "truths" to our existence on a macro level of all humanity and our lonely planet. Refusing to act at all with good conscious because of this, aka apathy, does nothing to foster a life of happiness in the individual. Rather, a person should vote because they become an agent in and of themselves. They exercise a right which has of little to no value, much like their own existence, but they exercise it. It's celebration instead of defeat, because celebration amidst defeat is possible and preferred.

This, in the isolated case of one issue, is an example of the greater conundrum individuals and thus the populace must face as beliefs in higher powers wane.
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by Vinyanyérë »

Seems like Callen's claiming that attempting to make a case for voting based on act-utilitarian ethics is a losing battle; voting will never be a utility-maximizing action. He's claiming instead that if you want to convince people to vote, you should appeal to a different ethical framework.

Personally I think he's drastically underestimating the utility of the "I voted" sticker.
duck
:mds:
imo
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Yes, I voted, not we.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

My name's Joe Biden, I'm a democratic candidate for the United States Senate. Look me over, if you like what you see, help out, if not, vote for the other Biden."
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

i honestly feel bad for the guy
mad cuz bad
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

deleted_user wrote:The appeal [to vote] shouldn't cite the gross effect of everyone [who doesn't, or does, vote], it should appeal to individuals' individual philosophy, their outlook on life, that is, to do something as opposed to doing nothing. There are overwhelming nihilist "truths" to our existence on a macro level of all humanity and our lonely planet. Refusing to act at all with good conscious because of this, aka apathy, does nothing to foster a life of happiness in the individual. Rather, a person should vote because they become an agent in and of themselves. They exercise a right which has of little to no value, much like their own existence, but they exercise it. It's celebration instead of defeat, because celebration amidst defeat is possible and preferred.
Ok, let's forget about whether voting makes a difference. Let's say it's just a person exercising a right for the sake of it. If that's rewarding to you, then by all means do it. For me personally, exercising the right to vote isn't rewarding. "Apathy", if you insist on calling it that, or lack thereof doesn't define a person's potential for happiness. I have many other things that make me happy, and prefer to spend my time on those things instead. And yes, my existence is equally useless. But it makes me happy. Voting doesn't.
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

it almost feels inane to continue having discussions in this thread with a bunch of people who refuse to vote
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

@Goodspeed say you lived in the US, would you vote in the democratic primary?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

No, voting there is way more of a hassle than here even