US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary

Post by RefluxSemantic »

fightinfrenchman wrote:There have been a bunch of elections where a single vote made the difference.
I'm interested to see your proof. Also be aware that there are hundreds of thousands of elections being held across the globe, so there's bound to be a few that have been decided by literally a singular vote. But that still makes it very likely you'll never end up casting a vote that actually makes the difference.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Tell them they can't have an opinion when an election is won or lost by one vote, because then they could have made the difference, but otherwise their vote wasn't influential at all.
Yeah, most elections aren't decided but one vote, but some are. Besides, you can also convince other people to vote
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

gibson wrote:
Cometk wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:What part don't you understand. A singular vote does not make any difference. Whether Gibson votes or not, the result will be the same.
then why does it matter if i don't listen to him?
Well it doesnt matter if you listen to anybody, but its foolish to randomly choose one demographic not to listen to
it's not random. if you think so lowly of your own opinion that it doesn't matter, i have no reason to take your opinion into account
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

Also to note, one vote has mattered plenty of times already in this primary season. We saw on C-SPAN at Iowa, some candidates make viability by 1 vote. That happens all the time at caucuses, so it's silly to say 1 vote doesn't matter. Also you wonder why young people never get recognised by the government, yet they have the lowest turnout. The highest youth turnout is lower than the lowest turnout of age 65+. Why of course the government will never try to help you when you guys don't vote. You've got to realise, that yes mathematically your 1 vote isn't that strong, but is the same strength as that old, boomer who has voted GOP his entire life.

Not to mention that apathy breeds apathy, you could instead convince 10 people to vote this election, then hopefully next election they all convince 10 people to vote, then 10 again. Maybe in 3 elections you caused 1000 people to vote. If you don't try then don't complain. Why would you be in this thread if that's your honest opinion. A non vote is a vote for whoever is in power.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

n0el wrote:Foe listing all non voters. Guess it’s ear and comet and incog from now on
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Cometk wrote:
gibson wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Well it doesnt matter if you listen to anybody, but its foolish to randomly choose one demographic not to listen to
it's not random. if you think so lowly of your own opinion that it doesn't matter, i have no reason to take your opinion into account
I dont think lowly of my opinion........I just think that voting isn't a way that expresses my opinion in any relevant way.
Retired Contributor

gibson wrote:
Cometk wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I dont think lowly of my opinion........I just think that voting isn't a way that expresses my opinion in any relevant way.
What’s a more relevant way to express your opinion though?

I intend all my puns.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

wardyb1 wrote:Also to note, one vote has mattered plenty of times already in this primary season. We saw on C-SPAN at Iowa, some candidates make viability by 1 vote. That happens all the time at caucuses, so it's silly to say 1 vote doesn't matter. Also you wonder why young people never get recognised by the government, yet they have the lowest turnout. The highest youth turnout is lower than the lowest turnout of age 65+. Why of course the government will never try to help you when you guys don't vote. You've got to realise, that yes mathematically your 1 vote isn't that strong, but is the same strength as that old, boomer who has voted GOP his entire life.

Not to mention that apathy breeds apathy, you could instead convince 10 people to vote this election, then hopefully next election they all convince 10 people to vote, then 10 again. Maybe in 3 elections you caused 1000 people to vote. If you don't try then don't complain. Why would you be in this thread if that's your honest opinion. A non vote is a vote for whoever is in power.
Has one vote really mattered though? If it makes your candidate viable in a precint, but doesn't end up really changing how they did overall, did it really matter?

There's a good chance that individual votes mattered in Sanders vs Buttigieg though. But that's not quite certain yet.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

occamslightsaber wrote:
gibson wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Revolting.

Realistically most of us won't really have our opinion matter throughout our life. Not on a national or even international scale. And that's fine.
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

gibson wrote:
Cometk wrote:
Show hidden quotes
do it anyway
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

iNcog wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Revolting.

Realistically most of us won't really have our opinion matter throughout our life. Not on a national or even international scale. And that's fine.
is it time for the revolution, Komrade?

edit: fuck I'm on a watch list now aren't I?
The big companies are watching our every movement anyways, so who cares.
Retired Contributor

RefluxSemantic wrote:
occamslightsaber wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Revolting.

Meme12.jpg

I intend all my puns.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

Bloomberg getting bodied early on again. I'm starting the think he is a Warren plant to make her look good.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

Pete, yelling over people when you aren't addressed does not make you look good.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

This is a complete shitshow. This isn't helping anyone whatsoever.
Retired Contributor

Can’t they just give each of the candidates a button to let the moderators know that they’d like to speak or respond?

I intend all my puns.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

2016 Republican debates were also a shitshow and it ended up okay with them, so I'm still holding out hope.
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Did Bloomberg even make viability in a single Nevada precinct lol
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Why do we need an unprecedented, grassroots movement to beat Trump? Why not just a normal campaign that beats him
Retired Contributor

Sounds like Bloomberg brought all of his supporters to this debate.

I intend all my puns.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

fightinfrenchman wrote:Why do we need an unprecedented, grassroots movement to beat Trump? Why not just a normal campaign that beats him
Worked well last time
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

n0el wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:Why do we need an unprecedented, grassroots movement to beat Trump? Why not just a normal campaign that beats him
Worked well last time
That's my point. A normal campaign was 77k votes in 3 states away from winning, and got less votes than Obama. Why is a "political revolution" necessary to beat Trump