US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Re: 2020 US Elections

Post by XeeleeFlower »

It's only gaining traction now. She initially brought it up last year and it wasn't addressed. It still hasn't really been addressed. Biden has had many interviews and talks, yet no one has asked him about it.

If someone is publicly accusing you of something, you can file a slander/defamation suit. An investigation would definitely take place then. Surely she wouldn't expose herself to this possibility without having something to defend herself.

Biden has shit history when it comes to women and girls starting with Anita Hill. He's been accused many times of being inappropriate and hasn't once apologized for it. Now, he's being accused of full blown sexual assault. Looking at his history, I am more inclined to believe Reade.

What should be done? I really don't know. It is a shit situation, indeed @wardyb1 I would, of course, prefer him to step down and have the party nominate someone else, preferably Sanders or Buttiege. This is unlikely, but I really don't think Biden will win vs Trump due to not only this, but this will have a large impact.

I'm mostly venting when I post and don't care too much to discuss certain things in depth due to my own bias. It's too emotionally and mentally taxing for me. I just can't begin to describe how difficult it is to see people positively clamoring online for individuals who have sordid pasts with regards to women. I feel it's important to at least recognize moral misgivings in individuals and then move on from there.

I really hate typing out messages on my phone.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night itā€™s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

His campaign denied it a while ago, and he denied it in an interview this morning. He said the Senate should release the complaint she supposedly filed in 1993, however she is now saying that the complaint doesn't mention sexual assault.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

@XeeleeFlower Iā€™m no lawyer, but it seems pointless for Biden to file a defamation lawsuit against Reade. Since Reade doesnā€™t remember exactly when and where the alleged sexual assault took place (only that it occurred in a ā€œsemi-public spaceā€), there is no way for Biden to prove that he was in fact somewhere else or doing something else at the time, not to mention that 1993 was a long time ago. Plus, heā€™d have to prove actual malice or that Reade purposely tried to damage him with false statements, which is pretty hard to do.
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

But the burden of proof is on the one making the claim.
Retired Contributor

I agree, but in a defamation lawsuit, you have to be able to prove that some statement was absolutely false and made with malicious intent afaik.

I intend all my puns.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:But the burden of proof is on the one making the claim.
Wouldn't that be the person bringing the lawsuit?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

occamslightsaber wrote:I agree, but in a defamation lawsuit, you have to be able to prove that some statement was absolutely false and made with malicious intent afaik.
Yeah, well, Biden knows very well he can't prove anything either way, but he initiated the lawsuit to show his voters that he has nothing to fear of if he goes on the offensive.

@Goodspeed Normally, Biden shouldn't have started a lawsuit. It's basically demonstrative behaviour: look, if I accuse you of defamation and you can't prove shit, then maybe you didn't have anything in the first place. So he's going on the offensive as a sign that he has nothing to be afraid of. By doing that, he's hoping to dispel any doubts anyone might have that the accusations have any substance.
Retired Contributor

Did Biden actually file a lawsuit against Reade?

I intend all my puns.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Dolan wrote:
occamslightsaber wrote:I agree, but in a defamation lawsuit, you have to be able to prove that some statement was absolutely false and made with malicious intent afaik.
Yeah, well, Biden knows very well he can't prove anything either way, but he initiated the lawsuit to show his voters that he has nothing to fear of if he goes on the offensive.
There is no lawsuit
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Nvm, I thought you guys were talking about an actual lawsuit, not just a hypothetical one.
I was actually surprised Biden would do that, but I guess it would make sense both if he ignored her and if he went on the offensive.
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Dolan wrote:
Exactly. All he has to prove is that it is damaging to his career/person. Then, she would need to offer proof that what she's saying is true.

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

"That's what I want the globalists to know - I will eat your ass" - Alex Jones

Retired Contributor

Biden does have to prove that he suffered actual psychological or material damage from the statement. Itā€™s too early to tell if he has though and thatā€™s not even the hardest part. Free speech is rather well protected in the US and Biden has to prove that Readeā€™s accusation wasnā€™t protected by the First Amendment. Kind of reminds me of that lawsuit Elon Musk was involved in for calling a cave rescue expert a ā€œpedo guyā€.

I intend all my puns.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

occamslightsaber wrote:Biden does have to prove that he suffered actual psychological or material damage from the statement. Itā€™s too early to tell if he has though and thatā€™s not even the hardest part. Free speech is rather well protected in the US and Biden has to prove that Readeā€™s accusation wasnā€™t protected by the First Amendment. Kind of reminds me of that lawsuit Elon Musk was involved in for calling a cave rescue expert a ā€œpedo guyā€.
Again, that's all hypothetical because Biden didn't file a lawsuit and won't do that. The lawsuit would be essentially impossible to win and just filing it would damage him even more
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Yea filing a lawsuit would be incredibly stupid.
Retired Contributor

fightinfrenchman wrote:
occamslightsaber wrote:Biden does have to prove that he suffered actual psychological or material damage from the statement. Itā€™s too early to tell if he has though and thatā€™s not even the hardest part. Free speech is rather well protected in the US and Biden has to prove that Readeā€™s accusation wasnā€™t protected by the First Amendment. Kind of reminds me of that lawsuit Elon Musk was involved in for calling a cave rescue expert a ā€œpedo guyā€.
Again, that's all hypothetical because Biden didn't file a lawsuit and won't do that. The lawsuit would be essentially impossible to win and just filing it would damage him even more
Yeah, I was just trying to explain why a defamation lawsuit is unlikely and why itā€™s hard to win. And I agree, filing one would be counter-productive because some rich people have used them to scare actual victims from coming forward.

I intend all my puns.
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

I just read Biden's statement that he made earlier today. If you haven't read it, I suggest doing so. I appreciated it. I still think he's gross for how he treats women and girls and refuses to apologize for it, but at least he's opening himself up for an investigation. Much better than "grab 'em by the pussy" Trump.

United States of America bittersalt123
Howdah

Post by bittersalt123 »

Bidens crime is not something that is in the realm of forgivable or maybe I'm wrong. Feel bad for the victims having to potentially watch their abuser become president.
"It makes a lot of sense to me that you're a Floridian." fightinfrenchman

Who needs water when you've got Brawndo ā€“ The Thirst Mutilator?

Secretary of State: But Brawndo's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

bittersalt123 wrote:Bidens crime is not something that is in the realm of forgivable or maybe I'm wrong. Feel bad for the victims having to potentially watch their abuser become president.
Does that mean you wouldn't vote for him?
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

People like Biden and Trump give men across the world a bad reputation. I have almost no tolerance for this kind of shit.
Howdah

Post by bittersalt123 »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
bittersalt123 wrote:Bidens crime is not something that is in the realm of forgivable or maybe I'm wrong. Feel bad for the victims having to potentially watch their abuser become president.
Does that mean you wouldn't vote for him?
I have to vote for Biden. President Trump does/did the same stuff and he got people hurt or maybe even killed with the disinfectant comments.

Joe Biden is not as bad as Trump and I think he'd be a fine president but I still hate the kind of crime he did it makes me very very salty.

Either way I really hope the accusations are not true but the accusers have a lot to lose like xeelee said so I don't think he's innocent.

Howdah

Post by bittersalt123 »

@fightinfrenchman I'm over and done with the the whole Bernie hype train lol

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

RefluxSemantic wrote:People like Biden and Trump give men across the world a bad reputation. I have almost no tolerance for this kind of shit.
Are you saying that any man who gets accused of sexual assault gives men a bad name?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

bittersalt123 wrote: Either way I really hope the accusations are not true but the accusers have a lot to lose like xeelee said so I don't think he's innocent.
He is guilty of making her and others feel uncomfortable, not rape
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Lmao