US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Re: 2020 US Elections

Post by RefluxSemantic »

fightinfrenchman wrote:I often say that voting third party is dumb because third parties can't win the presidency, but another reason it's dumb is that 100% of everyone who every runs as a third party is a grade A moron who would be a terrible president

This is a correct statement though. Human behaviour is one of the biggest factors in determining how to approach this crisis.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:I often say that voting third party is dumb because third parties can't win the presidency, but another reason it's dumb is that 100% of everyone who every runs as a third party is a grade A moron who would be a terrible president

This is a correct statement though. Human behaviour is one of the biggest factors in determining how to approach this crisis.
What do you think epidemiology is
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

I don't mean to say this lightly, so please understand that I mean this sincerely and unequivocally: I hope Scott Walker dies
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

TFW tens of thousands of people are dying but Joe Biden isn't inspiring enough to me, so I want hundreds of thousands of more to die as well
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

deleted_user wrote:did kim jong un just die
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

A rare insightful and well thought out tweet by Trump

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Can any unironic Trump supporter reading this try to explain what "Obamagate" is to us?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Sadly the new stimulus bill democrats are trying to get through is going to get axed by Republicans. This would be literally huge for my life

The HEROES Act would provide for $10,000 in across-the-board student loan forgiveness for federal student loan borrowers.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

gibson wrote:Sadly the new stimulus bill democrats are trying to get through is going to get axed by Republicans. This would be literally huge for my life

The HEROES Act would provide for $10,000 in across-the-board student loan forgiveness for federal student loan borrowers.
Yes, it would be great for me as well. Unfortunately gigantic morons Europeans think Democrats and Republicans are the same
United States of America 007Salt
Dragoon

Post by 007Salt »

fightinfrenchman wrote:Can any unironic Trump supporter reading this try to explain what "Obamagate" is to us?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

For real though, I know there must be some unironic Trump supporters here. Please post your thoughts here to be endlessly ridiculed because you're a fucking moron
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

fightinfrenchman wrote:For real though, I know there must be some unironic Trump supporters here. Please post your thoughts here to be endlessly ridiculed because you're a fucking moron
Are there any actual Trump supporters here that actual believe in his policy positions/care about the shit he spews? I'm not sure there is?
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
United States of America 007Salt
Dragoon

Post by 007Salt »

gibson wrote:Sadly the new stimulus bill democrats are trying to get through is going to get axed by Republicans. This would be literally huge for my life

I hope you can see the relief from this.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Cool. One could argue that sticking to a red or blue ticket is dumb because it shows that said indivudual 1) is okay with there only being 2 parties and 2) doesn't vote who best represents them, but votes for who's "least bad". But nah, I don't care to discuss this because it makes no difference. For as much empathy you exhibit in certain circumstances, it's astounding to me that you're often incapable of understanding other people's viewpoints in other instances. Maybe when you come visit, you'll allow me to pry into that mind of yours because I find it fascinating.

I don't agree with Amash on many things, but he was the first Republican to go against the grain and impeach Trump. That in and of itself is pretty damn admirable. He also went against Republicans in many other cases, such as abolishing the death penalty, getting rid of the war on drugs, recognizing climate change is real, and many many other things. You should be glad he's running since he'll siphon off some voters from Trump.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

But we want Trump for another 4 years right?
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

wardyb1 wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:For real though, I know there must be some unironic Trump supporters here. Please post your thoughts here to be endlessly ridiculed because you're a fucking moron
Are there any actual Trump supporters here that actual believe in his policy positions/care about the shit he spews? I'm not sure there is?
Not many, or they're not very active here. ESOC has a hard-left / centre-left leaning mostly.
So debates here mostly reflect leftwing talking points.

Any new posters probably notice this echo chamber effect and refrain from posting, if they have any opinions that disagree with what most posters here think.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

@XeeleeFlower Hypothetical situation that won't happen but might give me insight to your voting perspective. Trump is now running on the exact same platform HOWEVER he now supports electoral reform. Presume he has the political capital to get it done and it will pass the house/senate and the Supreme Court will ok it. Biden for whatever reason doesn't support it and Dems don't. (I know this is unrealistic but let's play along). The electoral reform moves the House to Mixed Member Proportional Representation. And the Senate and Presidential races all become Alternative Vote systems. My question is, do you vote for Trump in this situation?
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

Dolan wrote:
wardyb1 wrote:
Not many, or they're not very active here. ESOC has a hard-left / centre-left leaning mostly.
So debates here mostly reflect leftwing talking points.

Any new posters probably notice this echo chamber effect and refrain from posting, if they have any opinions that disagree with what most posters here think.
Yeah I've never noticed anyone here that agrees with the Republican/Trump talking points. Most I've seen is voting Trump to stick to the man or for the memes or whatever. If there is anyone here that follows that side of politics more I'd wish they posted more often.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

fightinfrenchman wrote:Can any unironic Trump supporter reading this try to explain what "Obamagate" is to us?
I'm not a Trump supporter, but you shouldn't read too much into his tweets. It's just a political quip.
Probably meant to deflect all the pressure that has been put on him, during the covid crisis, and turn the public's attention to another target.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Trump is the best president. Trump is what world needs right now! Trump has already improved my life so much and I am not even in US!
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

princeofcarthage wrote:Trump is the best president. Trump is what world needs right now! Trump has already improved my life so much and I am not even in US!
Could you elaborate on why he is the best and how he has done it?
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

wardyb1 wrote:@XeeleeFlower Hypothetical situation that won't happen but might give me insight to your voting perspective. Trump is now running on the exact same platform HOWEVER he now supports electoral reform. Presume he has the political capital to get it done and it will pass the house/senate and the Supreme Court will ok it. Biden for whatever reason doesn't support it and Dems don't. (I know this is unrealistic but let's play along). The electoral reform moves the House to Mixed Member Proportional Representation. And the Senate and Presidential races all become Alternative Vote systems. My question is, do you vote for Trump in this situation?
No, I would never vote for Trump. I vote for people who I feel best represent me on a political and moral basis.

Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

XeeleeFlower wrote:
wardyb1 wrote:@XeeleeFlower Hypothetical situation that won't happen but might give me insight to your voting perspective. Trump is now running on the exact same platform HOWEVER he now supports electoral reform. Presume he has the political capital to get it done and it will pass the house/senate and the Supreme Court will ok it. Biden for whatever reason doesn't support it and Dems don't. (I know this is unrealistic but let's play along). The electoral reform moves the House to Mixed Member Proportional Representation. And the Senate and Presidential races all become Alternative Vote systems. My question is, do you vote for Trump in this situation?
No, I would never vote for Trump. I vote for people who I feel best represent me on a political and moral basis.
So even though it is the best way to ensure candidates that actually represent you AND would be much more likely to get elected into the future you would vote against that interest?
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Yes, because he doesn't represent me.

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

XeeleeFlower wrote: I don't agree with Amash on many things, but he was the first Republican to go against the grain and impeach Trump. That in and of itself is pretty damn admirable. He also went against Republicans in many other cases, such as abolishing the death penalty, getting rid of the war on drugs, recognizing climate change is real, and many many other things. You should be glad he's running since he'll siphon off some voters from Trump.
He also thinks epidemiology doesn't exist despite the horrible pandemic that is ruining everybody's lives