US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: 2020 US Elections

Post by fightinfrenchman »

This is the kind of expert political communication that will destroy Joe Biden in the presidential debates

Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:Look I'm fucking tired of this same old story. It's not a transformative story, guys. NOTHING WILL CHANGE if you keep peddling this story, don't you get it? Think politically. Don't think only in terms of slogans and justifications.
What do you think it is likely to happen if you just keep saying the same old story? Do you think one side will simply cave in and accept your version? Do you think that's how change comes about? "Hell yeah, they finally caved in and accepted "our version" of the story."

No, I'm telling you, you are not thinking politically. You think that if you have the right arguments, all you have to do is just repeat them and that will eventually bring about triumph? Just because you believe in your arguments and you think you're on the right side, they will eventually prevail? That's not how things happen in real life. Don't you get it? Things never change if you keep resorting to the same arguments. There's nothing transformative in what you are doing. You are not effecting social change by repeating explanations that have been said over and over again.

Not sure how to pass this message to you, because you seem convinced that what will bring about social change is just the other side simply accepting your arguments. Which will never happen.
What "story" are you talking about?

Are you suddenly arguing that we are going about fixing racism wrong, as opposed to your previous argument which seemed to be that it's not really a problem?
You're getting a bit messy
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

RefluxSemantic wrote:I feel like Dolan wants to actually say that black people are bad but he knows he 'can't' so instead he makes large incohesive posts where he just insinuates that black people are bad a bunch of times.
I was never afraid to speak my mind so if I ever wanted to say that, you can be sure I would have said it. It's mind-numbing to me how I feel freer to speak my mind than so many people from Western countries. It seems that the best you can do is just talk from behind "good intentions" and pleasantries.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

@Dolan Pretty cringe tbh ngl
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:I feel like Dolan wants to actually say that black people are bad but he knows he 'can't' so instead he makes large incohesive posts where he just insinuates that black people are bad a bunch of times.
I was never afraid to speak my mind so if I ever wanted to say that, you can be sure I would have said it. It's mind-numbing to me how I feel freer to speak my mind than so many people from Western countries. It seems that the best you can do is just talk from behind "good intentions" and pleasantries.
I've never had problems speaking my mind, either. Certainly not on internet forums. That probably goes for most people here. It's fascinating that this needs to be explained to you, but not everyone thinks like you. It's possible for people to be expressing different opinions than you and still be speaking their mind.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Goodspeed wrote:
Dolan wrote:Look I'm fucking tired of this same old story. It's not a transformative story, guys. NOTHING WILL CHANGE if you keep peddling this story, don't you get it? Think politically. Don't think only in terms of slogans and justifications.
What do you think it is likely to happen if you just keep saying the same old story? Do you think one side will simply cave in and accept your version? Do you think that's how change comes about? "Hell yeah, they finally caved in and accepted "our version" of the story."

No, I'm telling you, you are not thinking politically. You think that if you have the right arguments, all you have to do is just repeat them and that will eventually bring about triumph? Just because you believe in your arguments and you think you're on the right side, they will eventually prevail? That's not how things happen in real life. Don't you get it? Things never change if you keep resorting to the same arguments. There's nothing transformative in what you are doing. You are not effecting social change by repeating explanations that have been said over and over again.

Not sure how to pass this message to you, because you seem convinced that what will bring about social change is just the other side simply accepting your arguments. Which will never happen.
This whole narrative of always explaining why a certain category of people cannot succeed in life because some other category is keeping them down. It's always the same arguments about centuries of this and that. It's something that I keep hearing in my country too and I find that it's just a way of wallowing in self-pity, rather than actually doing something to change things.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Goodspeed wrote:
Dolan wrote:
I've never had problems speaking my mind, either. Certainly not on internet forums. That probably goes for most people here. It's fascinating that this needs to be explained to you, but not everyone thinks like you. It's possible for people to be expressing different opinions than you and still be speaking their mind.
When people are repeating the same arguments they heard elsewhere, they're hardly speaking their minds. They're just playing a casette.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

fightinfrenchman wrote:Does anyone have any theories on why Trump won't submit a DNA sample for this case?

So did anyone come up with any theories about this or what?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:

This whole narrative of always explaining why a certain category of people cannot succeed in life because some other category is keeping them down. It's always the same arguments about centuries of this and that. It's something that I keep hearing in my country too and I find that it's just a way of wallowing in self-pity, rather than actually doing something to change things.
No one here has said a certain category of people cannot succeed in life. I imagine some have said certain categories are less likely to succeed, which is still a problem. And while I agree that this fact is almost certainly causing some people in said category to give up too easily (which seems to be your current point), that doesn't make it any less of a problem. Ultimately it needs to be talked about, because that's the only way any progress can be made. Being in denial about it certainly won't help anyone.

We have talked about equal opportunity before. You believe we've accomplished it, I very much don't.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:Does anyone have any theories on why Trump won't submit a DNA sample for this case?

So did anyone come up with any theories about this or what?
No, it's perplexing.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Goodspeed wrote:
Dolan wrote:
Show hidden quotes
No one here has said a certain category of people cannot succeed in life. I imagine some have said certain categories are less likely to succeed, which is still a problem. And while I agree that this fact is almost certainly causing some people in said category to give up too easily (which seems to be your current point), that doesn't make it any less of a problem. Ultimately it needs to be talked about, because that's the only way any progress can be made. Being in denial about it certainly won't help anyone.
Yeah, that's the problem. Some people use this sort of discourse to simply wallow in self-pity, rather than actually take charge of their lives or just effect social change.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

I can actually think of some bigger things that could be called "the problem"
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Yeah, that's the problem. Some people use this sort of discourse to simply wallow in self-pity, rather than actually take charge of their lives or just effect social change.
I think you throw phrases like "take charge of their lives" around much too easily. I suppose it makes sense if you think everyone has the same opportunities, but they don't. You should watch The Wire, it might help illustrate this point and is highly entertaining to boot.

Also, what ear said.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

I think it's about time we start putting Politico writers into concentration camps

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Lmao I can't believe this is real

United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Goodspeed wrote:
Dolan wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I think you throw phrases like "take charge of their lives" around much too easily. I suppose it makes sense if you think everyone has the same opportunities, but they don't. You should watch The Wire, it might help illustrate this point and is highly entertaining to boot.

Also, what ear said.
This is the classic libertarian / free market mantra, people need to pull themselves up by the bootstraps; this is America, anyone can make it rich if you try hard enough. It is complete garbage. It completely ignores that the system is broken, and many people and the vast majority of minorities in the US have the deck stacked against them being successful. Not acknowledging this is just asinine.
mad cuz bad
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

n0el wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Also, what ear said.
This is the classic libertarian / free market mantra, people need to pull themselves up by the bootstraps; this is America, anyone can make it rich if you try hard enough. It is complete garbage. It completely ignores that the system is broken, and many people and the vast majority of minorities in the US have the deck stacked against them being successful. Not acknowledging this is just asinine.
Perfect post
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

This thread is approaching page 666.
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

Since Dolan is getting ganged up a bit too much here, I’m just going to leave this here:

The Black conservatives in the video (at 15:28, 18:26, 25:20 and 29:50 specifically) raise some strikingly similar points to what Dolan said, so they are not entirely without merit.
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Trump leaving WHO is just so unbelievably stupid. Does anyone in here want to defend this move?
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

fightinfrenchman wrote:Trump leaving WHO is just so unbelievably stupid. Does anyone in here want to defend this move?
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Goodspeed wrote:
Dolan wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Also, what ear said.
So what if they don't have the same opportunities. Nobody does. It's not a problem that is unique to them. The Chinese don't have the same opportunities either. Bulgarians neither. People with a disability, who struggle to have a life while living in a wheelchair can't even dream of having the same opportunities as others do. Etc, etc. The world is not an abstract machine that mass-produces fair and carefully balanced life situations, it's an engine that works based on randomness. Life is inherently imbalanced because that's what keeps living things in a constant state of struggle, if everything was equal there would be no motivation to achieve anything.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Republicans are outflanking Democrats on the left

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

This is one of the most absurdly on the nose examples of projection I've ever seen