US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Re: 2020 US Elections

Post by spanky4ever »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:Rumors has it that GOP want to force Trump to drop out
I'll believe it when I see it. They literally had the opportunity to do this just a few months ago lol
Well, me 2, this turd will sit on his shitty throne for as long as he can. He could face serious charges when he is no longer POTUS. But at the same time, there are ppl in high places that want him gone. Most of them realize he cannot win, and then they will all be tost - for a long time :arrow:
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

iwillspankyou wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:Rumors has it that GOP want to force Trump to drop out
I'll believe it when I see it. They literally had the opportunity to do this just a few months ago lol
Well, me 2, this turd will sit on his shitty throne for as long as he can. He could face serious charges when he is no longer POTUS. But at the same time, there are ppl in high places that want him gone. Most of them realize he cannot win, and then they will all be tost - for a long time :arrow:
imagine having this level of cope
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

hmm, I did not understand your message above @Horsemen ?? sorry, could you use more words to explain it? English is not my native tongue, and slang is not my strongest side ;)
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

iwillspankyou wrote:hmm, I did not understand your message above @Horsemen ?? sorry, could you use more words to explain it? English is not my native tongue, and slang is not my strongest side ;)
Based on his responses to me in another thread I think he's drunk
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

k, we rarely make much sense then ;)
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

fOUR MORE YERS BABY
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

This, is good

Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

0 chance Trump drops out on his own volition before November. At the moment, who would get more support than him within the GOP for November? No one. Him dropping out would be the quickest way to get completely blown out in November.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

Very curious about what the tipping point on C-19 will be in the political sphere. Currently it really looks like daily cases are just going to skyrocket and I really don't see any possible way to truly stop it now, especially with many states not willing to implement lockdown orders or go far enough. Will there be a point where Trump's base/GOP voters turn on the GOP for their handling of the situation? Personally I think we are still a while a way from that but I could see a situation where at maybe 100-150k cases a day (if it gets that bad, but I really think it is possible), people start to truly see it really, really hurt the people around them. I understand the base has stood by Trump/GOP through thick and thin for 4 years but I think a pandemic is a different situation than political scandal.

Also obviously according to the polls this has already happened a little bit but I don't think anywhere in the scale it might.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

wardyb1 wrote:Very curious about what the tipping point on C-19 will be in the political sphere. Currently it really looks like daily cases are just going to skyrocket and I really don't see any possible way to truly stop it now, especially with many states not willing to implement lockdown orders or go far enough. Will there be a point where Trump's base/GOP voters turn on the GOP for their handling of the situation? Personally I think we are still a while a way from that but I could see a situation where at maybe 100-150k cases a day (if it gets that bad, but I really think it is possible), people start to truly see it really, really hurt the people around them. I understand the base has stood by Trump/GOP through thick and thin for 4 years but I think a pandemic is a different situation than political scandal.

Also obviously according to the polls this has already happened a little bit but I don't think anywhere in the scale it might.
Well Biden is currently winning by double digits and the virus is obviously just going to continue to spread, so while mainstream media people obsessively say "the polls will tighten," (because they want them to) it's not only possible but likely that Biden will increase his lead
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Any6thing other than Trump being reelected will be a disaster for world though.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

princeofcarthage wrote:Any6thing other than Trump being reelected will be a disaster for world though.
No
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Yes
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

princeofcarthage wrote:Yes
:hmm:
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

princeofcarthage wrote:Any6thing other than Trump being reelected will be a disaster for world though.
Feel like giving any reasoning behind this?
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

iNcog wrote:lol as usual carthage making 0 damn sense
this thread is about the united states
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I don't think it will matter much to the world whether Trump or Biden will be president.
All these foreign policy measures that people associate with Trump (criticising NATO allies, getting tough on China, pulling out of the Middle East) would have been taken even if Trump wasn't elected in 2016. Most foreign policy decisions are actually the result of a consensus reached by the establishment. With or without Trump, the US will continue these policies.
So I don't expect much to change on this front, if Trump doesn't get reelected. Ironically, it's the media that will regret Trump, since a Biden presidency would be the most uneventful thing ever. It would be "neoliberal consensus" plus a dash of wokeness to give the appearance of freshness and being "in step with the times". So basically Obama 2.0, except worse.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

Dolan wrote:
I don't think it will matter much to the world whether Trump or Biden will be president.
All these foreign policy measures that people associate with Trump (criticising NATO allies, getting tough on China, pulling out of the Middle East) would have been taken even if Trump wasn't elected in 2016. Most foreign policy decisions are actually the result of a consensus reached by the establishment. With or without Trump, the US will continue these policies.
So I don't expect much to change on this front, if Trump doesn't get reelected. Ironically, it's the media that will regret Trump, since a Biden presidency would be the most uneventful thing ever. It would be "neoliberal consensus" plus a dash of wokeness to give the appearance of freshness and being "in step with the times". So basically Obama 2.0, except worse.
So foreign policy, one of the things the Executive branch has full control of wouldn't have been different under a different executive? You think Clinton would have moved to establish the US embassy in Jerusalem? You think Clinton would've killed Soleimani? I completely disagree she would have been so critical of NATO allies. I think she may have pulled out of the Middle East, but I doubt it would have been anywhere near as recklessly as the Trump admin. I do think there would have been increasing tensions with China, but without increasing tariffs implemented by the Trump admin it probably would've been different.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

wardyb1 wrote:
Dolan wrote:
So foreign policy, one of the things the Executive branch has full control of wouldn't have been different under a different executive? You think Clinton would have moved to establish the US embassy in Jerusalem? You think Clinton would've killed Soleimani? I completely disagree she would have been so critical of NATO allies. I think she may have pulled out of the Middle East, but I doubt it would have been anywhere near as recklessly as the Trump admin. I do think there would have been increasing tensions with China, but without increasing tariffs implemented by the Trump admin it probably would've been different.
Try not to listen to Dolan, it's bad for your brain
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Whether or not Biden wins, there's going to be multiple QAnon believers in Congress. Can't wait for 2021
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

wardyb1 wrote:
Dolan wrote:
Yes, it would not have been significantly or substantially different. Because those decisions are typically prepared by the governmental institutional apparatus and then submitted to the president's team. The president typically reviews them (or some advisor gives him the gist of the report), then he makes a decision. But, as fragments from John Bolton's book reveal (published in recent media), Trump did not completely ignore his team's advice, he just played his political leader part, by keeping his team in suspense and constantly opposing or threatening to do exactly what he wanted, which was the opposite of what his team advised him. So eventually the institutional consensus always wins, at least where it concerns those big policy lines that do have an impact on the world. Such as participating in or leaving NATO, adopting tough measures on trade with China and pulling troops out of certain conflict zones.

No, I don't think that moving the US embassy to Jerusalem had any impact on the world, it was a big fuss about nothing so far. What I meant with my reply is: how many of Trump's decisions had much of an impact on the world, in terms of observable effects on your country or your life? As someone living in Europe, I can say the effect of Trump's decisions on my country (or my life) amounts to pretty much 0. Whether the potus were Clinton or Trump, things would have evolved pretty much the same here. Whether it's going to be Trump or Biden, things will continue as they are or as they were planned to be (in accordance to the big policy lines that the US government has already set for itself in advance).

Soleimani's killing was just a political side show that served Trump to take the pressure off and deflect the public opinion's attention from the impeachment trial.

This China containment policy was initiated a long time ago, it became more visible during Obama's mandates (in fact that's why the TPP was even conceived) but most likely it's a long-term policy of the USA that wasn't designed and directed by one single administration.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

It's very good and smart to believe that nothing changed between 2016 and 2020. The world is basically the same, and that makes me smart, to say
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

That's not what I'm saying, it's just what you understood. :smile:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Dolan wrote:That's not what I'm saying, it's just what you understood. :smile:
Have you heard about this virus that's been going around? They're calling it "the virus" apparently