US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Re: 2020 US Elections

Post by XeeleeFlower »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
chris1089 wrote: Never heard of this before but why is this so stupid?
It was posted by Dolan, marking it as immediately stupid
I'm really tired of seeing these types of posts coming from you. I was going to write you privately about it, but decided to be public because no one else is calling you out on this. You don't like Dolan. That's fine. What isn't fine is your constant baiting and harassment towards people who you feel are inferior to you. Dolan always gives rationale for his thoughts, unlike you who, in this case, didn't respond to the actual question but decided to be derisive. You're better than this ffs. I know you.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

Dolan wrote:
wardyb1 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
It's stupid because every argument for not doing anything about global warming is cost. The longer you wait, the more it costs, the faster innovation has to happen, the faster you have to mobilise, the greater disruption to society not to mention the continuing catastrophic disasters that will only grow in size and frequency plus the complete damage to the oceans and aquatic ecosystems.

Do you think it will be free to mass produce this form on energy transfer on a global scale that will reverse 3C of warming? It isn't going to get cheaper. Every proposal from here on out will only get more and more expensive as it will have to do more, in less time. Do you think it will bring back the lives lost in natural disasters? Will it instantly reverse ocean acidification? Also what will incentivise oil, coal and gas companies to invest in such an endeavour? These things take time. We are out of time. I don't think you realise just how bad 2C+ is. Once you start getting into 3-4C+ temps, there won't be an off switch, or a reverse switch.

Nonetheless you should trust the experts. Trust the people that have spent 5, 10, 15, 20+ years of their life studying this, putting their life blood into preventing this. The idea that this is even an argument is baffling. You go to the doctor to get your health advice. You go to an engineer to build a house.
And what are you exactly proposing? Who should specifically do what? Like tell me what needs to be done by using names, naming countries, companies, specific individuals, not generic and wishful thinking posts on a forum.

Which company needs to do what?
Which country needs to do what?
What exactly should consumers do?
How about start getting down to specifics, than spouting all this generic wishful thinking "we need to do this or that".

What have you been personally doing to stop climate change? I've started not buying products made in China.
This entire conversation began with talk of a carbon tax. I have been talking about a carbon tax the entire time. I don't see how any time I've been talking about "generics". Governments must take action to revolutionise their economies. All of them will have to do the same things. I find it tedious that I should have to write a 3 page essay talking about how electricity generation has to change, how transportation will have to change, how building a house will have to change etc. Everyone should know that we must move away from fossil fuels and that the quickest and most efficient way is by imposing regulation and then letting capitalism do it's thing.

What does each country need to do? Pass a strong carbon tax tomorrow. That's your start. From there? Invest heavily in green electricity generation of all forms, which includes upgrading grids to handle the changing nature of electricity generation and investing in electricity storage. Check out the video I linked 2 pages ago, it outlines this pretty well. I'll also attach a key visual from there. http://energyliteracy.com/ As outlined by this, the US needs to turn its 17% renewable energy generation into 100% while significantly scaling up electricity production to offset the loss of petrol powered vehicles and gas cooktops etc.
Those are your two most important things. The carbon tax drives the free market while raising revenue for government to reinvest in areas where the market will be less-efficient, and governments must prepare their electricity grids for the burden of taking over from areas where fossil fuels are currently used. Again as the video I linked outlines, governments can go further and implement a much more rigourous and stringent approach by forcing companies to retire bad equipment, or by implementing more stringent quotas on energy providers or transportation companies but that is a much less politically viable option at this stage.

What does each company need to do? Do what good companies do. Make money. If government's implement good legislation to de-incentivise using fossil fuels and creating emissions, and implements legislation that incentivise being a clean, green company, then they will do whatever makes their bottom line the best. This is why a carbon tax is so effective. It was ridiculously effective here in Aus for the short time we had one.

What should consumers do? As consumers, do what they do best. Buy the products that suit them best. Prices go up on things that create emissions, they stay low on things that don't. People buy the cheap things.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer
ESO: voigt

Post by voigt1240 »

The co2 emission from cars is huge. I don't understand why the government doesn´t encourage the selling of el cars more. There have been some car taxes cut on them here, but no where near enough for it to have a big impact on the sale of el cars.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

007Salt wrote:
n0el wrote:
007Salt wrote:Vote Trump
I thought that you thought Trump was a failure?
Joe Biden will raise taxes and gas prices.
Do you honestly believe that?
mad cuz bad
United States of America 007Salt
Dragoon

Post by 007Salt »

wardyb1 wrote:
007Salt wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Do you really think global warming is preventable or will this tax or other measures just delay the inevitable? One of those situations where it is what it is.

Until things are getting really bad nobody really cares about global warming lol
This has to be one of the dumbest takes I've seen in this thread. Depends on your definition of preventable? Can we stop 1.5C? No. Can we stop 2C? Moving into very unlikely territory. Can we stop 2.5 or 3C? Yes it is doable, but with every delay that becomes harder and would require more drastic action as outlined in the video (or read the sources that are provided). As it stands a carbon tax by itself will definitely help delay 3C and buys time for more innovation, more change, more action to stop 3C. It's such a fucking dumb take to be like, I won't do this thing because it doesn't solve the problem entirely. That isn't how the world works.
My point is that not enough people really care.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

@007Salt who do you think funds “research” like that? Why would you believe anything from the swamp? Trump hates guys like this. They only care about maximizing their profit and could give a shit less about your life.
mad cuz bad
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

wardyb1 wrote: This entire conversation began with talk of a carbon tax. I have been talking about a carbon tax the entire time. I don't see how any time I've been talking about "generics". Governments must take action to revolutionise their economies. All of them will have to do the same things. I find it tedious that I should have to write a 3 page essay talking about how electricity generation has to change, how transportation will have to change, how building a house will have to change etc. Everyone should know that we must move away from fossil fuels and that the quickest and most efficient way is by imposing regulation and then letting capitalism do it's thing.

What does each country need to do? Pass a strong carbon tax tomorrow. That's your start. From there? Invest heavily in green electricity generation of all forms, which includes upgrading grids to handle the changing nature of electricity generation and investing in electricity storage. Check out the video I linked 2 pages ago, it outlines this pretty well. I'll also attach a key visual from there. http://energyliteracy.com/ As outlined by this, the US needs to turn its 17% renewable energy generation into 100% while significantly scaling up electricity production to offset the loss of petrol powered vehicles and gas cooktops etc.

Those are your two most important things. The carbon tax drives the free market while raising revenue for government to reinvest in areas where the market will be less-efficient, and governments must prepare their electricity grids for the burden of taking over from areas where fossil fuels are currently used. Again as the video I linked outlines, governments can go further and implement a much more rigourous and stringent approach by forcing companies to retire bad equipment, or by implementing more stringent quotas on energy providers or transportation companies but that is a much less politically viable option at this stage.

What does each company need to do? Do what good companies do. Make money. If government's implement good legislation to de-incentivise using fossil fuels and creating emissions, and implements legislation that incentivise being a clean, green company, then they will do whatever makes their bottom line the best. This is why a carbon tax is so effective. It was ridiculously effective here in Aus for the short time we had one.

What should consumers do? As consumers, do what they do best. Buy the products that suit them best. Prices go up on things that create emissions, they stay low on things that don't. People buy the cheap things.
Germany cut its emissions without having any carbon tax, they only adopted one recently and it will come into force next year. Lots of other European countries also managed to keep to the emission-cutting schedule without imposing any carbon tax. We have a carbon credit trading scheme in the EU which allows some companies to continue to pollute as long as they buy the right to do so for a defined amount of emissions only. So it's another kind of "tax", it's like a sales tax on buying the right to pollute. But anyway, these are also generalities as long as you're not singling out who should do this. Because in Europe we've started doing this a long time ago and we cut emissions aggressively, as that chart I posted earlier shows.

You can't really increase the share of renewables by snapping your fingers like that. It's not even that viable. It's like setting yourself a goal to get 100% of your energy from hydro sources, which is physically impossible because rivers have a limited extent to which water flow can be harnessed by using turbines. It's not a resource you could simply choose to exploit 5 times more, just because you want to. The more dams you build, the worse river ecosystems will be affected and the water flow will be slowed down to the point that any downstream dams won't get much water flow energy to convert into electricity. Same for wind turbines, while more of them could be built they're not really 100% eco-friendly. It's actually nuclear energy that you could try to exploit more to reduce reliance on fossil fuels, but after the Fukushima disaster, public opinion has been turning more negative about nuclear power. Also it takes a lot of time to gradually switch to these kinds of energy production, you can't build a dam or a nuclear plant in just a year or two. So the process of switching to energy that is emission-free is likely to be slow and it will probably take decades to see a substantial reduction in reliance on fossil fuel.

Governments in general move very slowly, it takes time for them to debate, initiate and try to pass laws, then a lot more time to enforce them. That's why I made the suggestion that consumers should start doing something now, because that would have an immediate effect on those companies that are big polluters. If they get the message that they can't keep using the same business model going forward, things might actually advance faster than if you wait on governments across the whole world to synch their actions. Not to mention that most of those governments are not from developed countries with this culture of "social awareness" that you find in your own country, it's not like Russia will start selling less oil starting from tomorrow because it's bad for the climate. Then you end up having countries that take measures to reduce emissions, but their total reductions account for only something like 30-40% of the entire global emissions, while the rest of the world continues to drag its feet just like they did until now. Or they actually increase their emissions like China and India.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

XeeleeFlower wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:It was posted by Dolan, marking it as immediately stupid
I'm really tired of seeing these types of posts coming from you. I was going to write you privately about it, but decided to be public because no one else is calling you out on this. You don't like Dolan. That's fine. What isn't fine is your constant baiting and harassment towards people who you feel are inferior to you. Dolan always gives rationale for his thoughts, unlike you who, in this case, didn't respond to the actual question but decided to be derisive. You're better than this ffs. I know you.
Tbh, the ear doesn't bother me. He's like a mosquito buzzing around.
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

@wardyb1 I’m guessing you are not a fan of nuclear energy?
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Goodspeed wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Dolan wrote:
What have you been personally doing to stop climate change?
Cocksucking
The fuck is this meme?
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer
ESO: voigt

Post by voigt1240 »

Thought it was a Joey Diaz reference.
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Dolan wrote:
XeeleeFlower wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:It was posted by Dolan, marking it as immediately stupid
It bothers me. I'm not sure if it bothers me because I feel it might bother others or because I tend to hold people I like to higher, often unattainable, standards. Maybe some mix. Strange as it may sound, I "look up" to people I like. If I like someone, it's because they have qualities that I appreciate and often lack in myself. Thus, I put people on these pedestals and feel disappointed when they fall off. Regardless, I'm tired of constantly seeing it.

Retired Contributor

XeeleeFlower wrote:
Dolan wrote:
Show hidden quotes
It bothers me. I'm not sure if it bothers me because I feel it might bother others or because I tend to hold people I like to higher, often unattainable, standards. Maybe some mix. Strange as it may sound, I "look up" to people I like. If I like someone, it's because they have qualities that I appreciate and often lack in myself. Thus, I put people on these pedestals and feel disappointed when they fall off. Regardless, I'm tired of constantly seeing it.
What qualities does the Ear have that you appreciate? Real question tbh ngl.

I intend all my puns.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

occamslightsaber wrote:
XeeleeFlower wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Mean
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Retired Contributor

fightinfrenchman wrote:
occamslightsaber wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Mean
It is a genuine question, no offense intended. Can’t you tell by the “tbh ngl” I put at the end?

I intend all my puns.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

occamslightsaber wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Mean
It is a genuine question, no offense intended. Can’t you tell by the “tbh ngl” I put at the end?
Tbh ngl doesn't really mean anything, it's just a dumb thing we say
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

occamslightsaber wrote:
XeeleeFlower wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Just name a few things, he's creative, has empathy, and intelligent (even if he doesn't show those things here publicly very often.)

United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

@fightinfrenchman @XeeleeFlower Awww. Now kiss!

Retired Contributor

fightinfrenchman wrote:
occamslightsaber wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Tbh ngl doesn't really mean anything, it's just a dumb thing we say
Lies!

I intend all my puns.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

occamslightsaber wrote:@wardyb1 I’m guessing you are not a fan of nuclear energy?
No I'd consider myself to be extremely pro-nuclear.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Is there any sign that Americans go towards favoring a significant reform with regard to their constitution?

I just had a thought on the whole RBG issue and think that the supreme court is a glaring example of the age of the constitution. Being elected for the rest of their life, which may have been ~10 years when the constitution was written and ~50 years today, is ridiculous. A judge has only two options to leave the court, either by death or by retiring at a self-determined date. The first option gives chance a significant impact on politics (see the current case). The second option ensures that the the individual choice of retirement becomes a major political bargain, which is a power (!) the judge was not voted into office for.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

duckzilla wrote:Is there any sign that Americans go towards favoring a significant reform with regard to their constitution?

I just had a thought on the whole RBG issue and think that the supreme court is a glaring example of the age of the constitution. Being elected for the rest of their life, which may have been ~10 years when the constitution was written and ~50 years today, is ridiculous. A judge has only two options to leave the court, either by death or by retiring at a self-determined date. The first option gives chance a significant impact on politics (see the current case). The second option ensures that the the individual choice of retirement becomes a major political bargain, which is a power (!) the judge was not voted into office for.
I don't think it requires a constitutional amendment to impose term limits on future SCOTUS justices, however I'm sure it would be challenged nonetheless. And there is definitely issues around SCOTUS ruling on itself which are also to be exposed.

As to your original question? Yes but no. There is definitely a large amount of people wanting reform. Just they don't agree whatsoever on the reform. And constitutional reform will have to be overwhelmingly bipartisan to pass so it is kind of a moot point anyway.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Republicans will ram another justice on the supreme court - and the Dems are just to week (I think) to stop it.
The first vote the new jugde will vote on is weather Obama care are valid. The court decision leaving another 40 mill of healtcare? will never happen :uglylol:
The BIG question though is about abortion. Surveys have it that 70% of the US pop are in favor of womens choice. So if a supreme court vote different than that- and actually rule back laws on free choise - THE court will be in a confrontations against the ppl they are elected to serve. That cannot stand - in a democracy (anyway).-
What I say here; if an election of supreme judges, can give you the vote you want (as a political party) - and in confrontations to the will of the majorety of the ppl - then the court is flawed and do no longer represent a democracy.
I am not VERY afraid of this appointment, because I have faith in the ppl of USA, who will not stand for 9 ppl ruling against them. Will not happen I think. The supreme court, like any institutions, are fighting to be relevant, and survive :ugeek:

Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Who holds the senate?
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

chris1089 wrote:Who holds the senate?
I tried to make a good post, about how the justice actually work. You are prolly not informed to debate my arguments -. I get it. But we all know who have the majority in the senate right now.

In a decomracy the choises of jugdes are not political at all.
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.