US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Re: 2020 US Elections

Post by Amsel_ »

iwillspankyou wrote:Republicans will ram another justice on the supreme court - and the Dems are just to week (I think) to stop it.
The first vote the new jugde will vote on is weather Obama care are valid. The court decision leaving another 40 mill of healtcare? will never happen :uglylol:
The BIG question though is about abortion. Surveys have it that 70% of the US pop are in favor of womens choice. So if a supreme court vote different than that- and actually rule back laws on free choise - THE court will be in a confrontations against the ppl they are elected to serve. That cannot stand - in a democracy (anyway).-
What I say here; if an election of supreme judges, can give you the vote you want (as a political party) - and in confrontations to the will of the majorety of the ppl - then the court is flawed and do no longer represent a democracy.
I am not VERY afraid of this appointment, because I have faith in the ppl of USA, who will not stand for 9 ppl ruling against them. Will not happen I think. The supreme court, like any institutions, are fighting to be relevant, and survive :ugeek:

The Supreme Court is undemocratic by design. They're supposed to be impartial. (And to their credit, multiple Justices have been willing to vote against "their party") Their most important duty is to ensure that the rest of the government is following the constitution. If the Congress tries to limit freedom of speech, the Supreme Court is what stops that. If the President tries to issue an executive order that he has no power to issue, the Supreme Court is what stops him. Because the Judiciary is the bridge between the constitution and the rest of the government, creating a system where the Justices are all patsies of whoever is in power would almost immediately damage the integrity of the government. You may as well say that you can amend the constitution by a simple majority in the House and Senate, because, in all practicality, there is little difference between amending the constitution and rigging the interpretation and enforcement of the constitution.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Amsel_ wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:Republicans will ram another justice on the supreme court - and the Dems are just to week (I think) to stop it.
The first vote the new jugde will vote on is weather Obama care are valid. The court decision leaving another 40 mill of healtcare? will never happen :uglylol:
The BIG question though is about abortion. Surveys have it that 70% of the US pop are in favor of womens choice. So if a supreme court vote different than that- and actually rule back laws on free choise - THE court will be in a confrontations against the ppl they are elected to serve. That cannot stand - in a democracy (anyway).-
What I say here; if an election of supreme judges, can give you the vote you want (as a political party) - and in confrontations to the will of the majorety of the ppl - then the court is flawed and do no longer represent a democracy.
I am not VERY afraid of this appointment, because I have faith in the ppl of USA, who will not stand for 9 ppl ruling against them. Will not happen I think. The supreme court, like any institutions, are fighting to be relevant, and survive :ugeek:

The Supreme Court is undemocratic by design. They're supposed to be impartial. (And to their credit, multiple Justices have been willing to vote against "their party") Their most important duty is to ensure that the rest of the government is following the constitution. If the Congress tries to limit freedom of speech, the Supreme Court is what stops that. If the President tries to issue an executive order that he has no power to issue, the Supreme Court is what stops him. Because the Judiciary is the bridge between the constitution and the rest of the government, creating a system where the Justices are all patsies of whoever is in power would almost immediately damage the integrity of the government. You may as well say that you can amend the constitution by a simple majority in the House and Senate, because, in all practicality, there is little difference between amending the constitution and rigging the interpretation and enforcement of the constitution.
That is how most supreme courts around the world works - the difference is how you have politicised them - and making them rule on issues that should be solved in the political arenas!
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

vote him out pls - ppl of Carolina ;)
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

iwillspankyou wrote:vote him out pls - ppl of Carolina ;)
I'm doing my part
Attachments
Screenshot_20200921-173644_Chrome.jpg
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

tbh - this issue are more important to me, and it should def be for you also

but ppl are zombies, watching the "news" - that will NEVER say anything about this issue. But it is as much about you rights, than any supreme court justice nomenee.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

cannot expect any of you to watch a 20 min video thought - and there you go! flash "news" win again, and again.
United States of America 007Salt
Dragoon

Post by 007Salt »

If you don't vote for Trump then you don't want America to be great again!
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

Amsel_ wrote:

I'm very interested in your thoughts on current front runner Amy Barrett. Where does impartiality and ruling on the constitution cross into making judgements solely on your world-view? Link to find out more about her:
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Looks like a partisan hack, unsurprisingly.
Howdah

Post by Amsel_ »

wardyb1 wrote:
Amsel_ wrote:

I'm very interested in your thoughts on current front runner Amy Barrett. Where does impartiality and ruling on the constitution cross into making judgements solely on your world-view? Link to find out more about her:
The intention is clearly to have a conservative Justice, and she will fill that role. However, Trump's other appointees to the Supreme Court have broken ranks in the past. When I brought up that Justices will occasionally break ranks, I brought it up because it's shocking that it happens at all.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

iwillspankyou wrote:
chris1089 wrote:Who holds the senate?
I tried to make a good post, about how the justice actually work. You are prolly not informed to debate my arguments -. I get it. But we all know who have the majority in the senate right now.

In a decomracy the choises of jugdes are not political at all.
I was making a point. The senate approves a justice. That's why Obama couldn't get a justice through at the end of his term and that's why Trump probably can. Sorry if the question was too subtle.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

It seems simple to me. If trump adds a justice before the election, the Dems take the senate and Biden wins. In 2021 they add 4 justices to the court.
mad cuz bad
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

n0el wrote:It seems simple to me. If trump adds a justice before the election, the Dems take the senate and Biden wins. In 2021 they add 4 justices to the court.
I think if they run openly on that they lose the centrists.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

chris1089 wrote:
n0el wrote:It seems simple to me. If trump adds a justice before the election, the Dems take the senate and Biden wins. In 2021 they add 4 justices to the court.
I think if they run openly on that they lose the centrists.
I doubt it
mad cuz bad
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

I just don't see how this is a good solution to anything though. Yes there needs to be court reform. Look at the 9th District which looks after something like 20% of the US population. There is an argument to be made that expanding the lower courts would give precedent to adding more SCOTUS justices but it doesn't solve the issue. The courts are going to be fucked either way, but I don't like the idea of the next GOP president and senate installing a bunch of fanatical theocrats, any more than they already are. And you think there wouldn't be a crazy amount of backlash to adding 4 new justices? Imagine the 2022 midterms. All of sudden the favourable senate map for the Dems would turn into a bloodbath.

In reality the Dems are hamstrung. Quite simply the GOP hold the imaginary high ground. If the Dems retaliate, the media plays into the both sides narrative and the GOP gets off scoff free. And I'm not sure what road this leads the US down, but I don't see any good outcomes from it. If they don't then the US will be conservative for the next 20-30 years at best.

All in all, the Dems only real chance is to attempt some form of court reform that looks remotely non-partisan, hope the voters back them up, and hope the media doesn't eat them alive in the process. And this is all presuming they even get the Senate back this election which is already a big ask.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Howdah

Post by Amsel_ »

It's time to apologize to my boy Romney.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/2 ... nee-419898
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

Amsel_ wrote:It's time to apologize to my boy Romney.

Like I'm not surprised, but at the same time, how do you vote to remove the president and then support his nomination of a SCOTUS judge. Like how as a person, do you not just want to neck yourself with shame.
Howdah

Post by Amsel_ »

wardyb1 wrote:

Like I'm not surprised, but at the same time, how do you vote to remove the president and then support his nomination of a SCOTUS judge. Like how as a person, do you not just want to neck yourself with shame.

>makes Massachusetts seethe
>makes Obama supporters seethe
>makes the tea-party seethe
>makes Drumpfkins seethe
>makes Utahans seethe
>makes the libtards seethe
>in spite of all this, gets elected to statewide office in one of the reddest and one of the bluest states

How does my boy do it lads?
United States of America fedjahnson
Skirmisher
ESO: gewitter_

Post by fedjahnson »

I despise mitt romney
The earth is hollow-Sircallen
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

Bet he can’t even do a German piki rush.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

wardyb1 wrote:

That's just politics. Every new situation is a new situation. In politics, even when a situation repeats itself, politicians could still take completely different decisions every time, because lots of other things happened in between and changed their perspective.

In Romney's case, maybe he genuinely dislikes Trump and his influence on the Repub party, but he doesn't dislike the idea of having a more conservative judge appointed, because that's a more far-reaching decision than who's going to be in the white house in the next 4 years.

Another possible reason for this might be that a judge is typically a more level-headed person, so maybe whoever Trump sends there is not going to be anyone who wants to set the country on fire, so maybe the idea of supporting a judge appointed by Trump aligns with a more moderate kind of republicanism with which Romney is on board.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Amsel_ wrote:
wardyb1 wrote:

>makes Massachusetts seethe
>makes Obama supporters seethe
>makes the tea-party seethe
>makes Drumpfkins seethe
>makes Utahans seethe
>makes the libtards seethe
>in spite of all this, gets elected to statewide office in one of the reddest and one of the bluest states

How does my boy do it lads?
Dont people in Utah like Mitt Romney? Mormonism at work.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Ppl are speachless, when their foundations are about to crumble! How far can Trump go, you think? Pretty damn far I think.
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

iwillspankyou wrote:Ppl are speachless, when their foundations are about to crumble! How far can Trump go, you think? Pretty damn far I think.
Yeah, he could be President.
We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

oats13 wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:Ppl are speachless, when their foundations are about to crumble! How far can Trump go, you think? Pretty damn far I think.
Yeah, he could be President.
with cheating? how far down can you go before you say this is not a democracy anymore?