US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Re: 2020 US Elections

Post by XeeleeFlower »

There are few religious people that I can say are legitimately good people. These are people who follow the teachings of Jesus and not only love others, but actually believe in the equality and support of others, along with showing grace and acceptance, just as Jesus did(my morals, hence why I think they're good people.) One of those people is Dolly Parton, another is my brother, and to bring things closer to home, our very own @edeholland What these people share, along with what I perceive as goodness, is a lack of dogma. Dogma cause blindness and lack of empathy.

@chris1089 I don't know you super well, but what I do know of you, I feel that you may have slipped/are slipping into this. It's easy to do, especially when one perceives themselves as a rather intelligent person. If I may offer some advice, actually listen/read what others share. It's okay to believe in a higher power, that's fine. But engaging in dogmatic thought will not only limit you, but it will also limit others' communication with you. It denies personal growth as it further entrenches you. My dad is this way, though I think that having someone like me in his life has led him to be more accepting of things over time.

I differentiated old and new testament god because they are very different. Jesus is depicted as pretty much a very social liberal who, if he were around in the 60's, would be a huge hippy. He would be appalled at capitalism, racism, sexism, and all these typical close held beliefs that so called religious/conservative people espouse to hold. Old testament god is depicted as pretty much the opposite.

I have read the Bible through, many many times. I had to read the entire thing every year for 11 years of my life (started when I was 7.) I am very familiar with the different concepts and teachings. The difference in tone from old and new testament is quite remarkable. It's extremely sad that many so called Christians today pick and choose what they feel fits into their own morality vs how Jesus actually lived his life and his teachings. Be a light. Dogma is darkness.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

@XeeleeFlower This is a good post but since it's the 2020 elections thread I'm gonna have to ask you to include Reverand Raphael Warnock in the list of good religious people. Need to get that stimulus
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

There's not a lot of good news nowadays but this genuinely lifts my spirits

Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

fightinfrenchman wrote:There's not a lot of good news nowadays but this genuinely lifts my spirits

https://twitter.com/mikememoli/status/1 ... 17824?s=19
They should have got a pangolin. Or an anteater.

"The presidential couple walking the anteater on the white house lawn" sounds based af.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Dolan wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:There's not a lot of good news nowadays but this genuinely lifts my spirits

https://twitter.com/mikememoli/status/1 ... 17824?s=19
They should have got a pangolin. Or an anteater.

"The presidential couple walking the anteater on the white house lawn" sounds based.
No recorded pangolins or anteaters but there have been some weird choices

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... ntial_pets

Pretty weird that Trump is just one of 2 presidents to not have pets tbh
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Yeah, weird. That might prove he wasn't a fascist, after all.
Or he was just pretending to be one.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Ben Shapiro and AOC fanfic is what the US needs to unite the country
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

mad cuz bad
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Goodspeed wrote:Plenty of arguments have been made for abortion on ESOC. Probably in different threads though. Maybe you weren't here for that.

Most of them revolve around women's right to choose not to have a life-altering baby that they don't want. The fetus, and certainly its appearance, is irrelevant to those arguments.
I'm aware there exist multiple arguments for abortion, I just haven't seen any in this thread. Whether you're for or against abortion, everyone should be able to agree that posting "you're stupid/brainwashed" over and over again is not how to conduct a debate.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

lejend wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:Plenty of arguments have been made for abortion on ESOC. Probably in different threads though. Maybe you weren't here for that.

Most of them revolve around women's right to choose not to have a life-altering baby that they don't want. The fetus, and certainly its appearance, is irrelevant to those arguments.
I'm aware there exist multiple arguments for abortion, I just haven't seen any in this thread. Whether you're for or against abortion, everyone should be able to agree that posting "you're stupid/brainwashed" over and over again is not how to conduct a debate.
You can't really have a sincere debate about religion because one side insists that there exists a magic force without any evidence
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

The problem is more fundamental imo: One side treats the things that there is disagreement about as axioms for which no evidence is needed.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Goodspeed wrote:The problem is more fundamental imo: One side treats the things that there is disagreement about as axioms for which no evidence is needed.
If you want to delve down into presuppositions, this is because the basis for logic, reason, science etc. in my worldview comes more fundamentally from God's character.
The basis on which one judges evidence presupposes the logical, rational creator God that preserves the universe.
On the other hand, I'd be interested as to what your most fundamental presuppositions are. Is it that the scientific method is good? Or that liberty is good? Or that the laws of logic are correct? Or the reliability of the senses? How do you account for the problem of induction?
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

If you take the time to research it, you'll find there's as much evidence for God as for anything. The evidence may not be to your personal liking, but to say that no evidence exists at all is rather silly.

That's not just me talking; here's an atheist philosopher saying the same thing:

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

starting to think History is the most important school
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

@chris1089 @lejend How old do you think the Earth is?
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

fightinfrenchman wrote:@chris1089 @lejend How old do you think the Earth is?
bout 350
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

fightinfrenchman wrote:@chris1089 @lejend How flat do you think the Earth is?
:cry:
[Sith] - Baphomet
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

lejend wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:@chris1089 @lejend How old do you think the Earth is?
bout 350
Years?
[Sith] - Baphomet
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

Somewhere between 5,500 and 16 billion years @fightinfrenchman. Ah just seen that you said earth, so less than 16 billion years.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

As I suspected neither of you can give a serious answer because you know your actual beliefs are so transparently stupid that they would be roundly mocked
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

fightinfrenchman wrote:As I suspected neither of you can give a serious answer because you know your actual beliefs are so transparently stupid that they would be roundly mocked
I actually don't know how old the earth is. There are brothers with reasonable, biblical arguments who hold to both young and old earth positions.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

chris1089 wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:As I suspected neither of you can give a serious answer because you know your actual beliefs are so transparently stupid that they would be roundly mocked
I actually don't know how old the earth is. There are brothers with reasonable, biblical arguments who hold to both young and old earth positions.
There aren't any people who hold reasonable young earth positions because it's an inherently unreasonable position
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
chris1089 wrote:
There aren't any people who hold reasonable young earth positions because it's an inherently unreasonable position
You just can't handle that the quality of Chris' trolling far exceeds your own.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
You just can't handle that the quality of Chris' trolling far exceeds your own.
I realize that when you post stupid shit you're trolling, but it only works because the stupid shit you say is stuff some people actually believe.
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer
ESO: voigt

Post by voigt1240 »

Afaik Most denominations are not Young Earth Creationists.

Seems like that is an increasingly rare view to have nowadays.