US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Re: US Politics Megathread

Post by Dolan »

scarm wrote:i don't see why arguing a topic would necessitate spending the same amount of time the concept's original creator did.
In principle, I agree. But realistically, it's like with competitive gaming. If you're a weekend player you're not gonna beat a player whose dayjob is to play every day 10 hours and train with a team for the purpose of winning tournaments.

That's kinda what Marx did, he was a competitive reader-writer, spending almost the entire day doing nothing but reading and writing, for years. Following every news, cataloguing every social trend, scientific discovery, new technology, his books and notebooks are one giant encyclopedia of socio-political trivia, thoughts on the margins of it, commentaries, theses, analyses. Nobody ever "read Marx", only Marx himself and I'm not entirely sure of that either. It's that level of grinding.

But yeah, you could find flaws in what is classically attributed to him, like whether class conflict is real. The example of billionaires that sponsor ideologically opposed NGOs could be a counterargument to the idea of class conflict. Occasionally billionaires actually undermine each other, despite Marx claiming they worked with a common interest in mind.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

scarm wrote:Yes i am taking crime as axiomatic because cruelty is demonstrably a part of most (read "every" but i don't like formulating things as universals) human's personality that can quite easily be brought out when one thinks one can live this part of one's personality without repercussions. We can see this time and time again in situations where humans are given power over other humans, in human's urge to form in- and outgroups and find negative properties about the other. This could off course be wrong, but seeing what cruelties humans are capable of in situations, where they think their actions have no consequences would make me rather not inclined to test. @Cometk
i don't necessarily disagree that there is some base level of human predilection for conflict, and consequently violence and wrongdoing - but i would disagree with the idea that the status quo levels of "criminality" are that base. and recognizing and addressing the conditions that lead to instances of criminality seems like it should be of the utmost, which defunding the police would help to do
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

You dont really seem to understand why democracies always have law enforcement.
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

RefluxSemantic wrote:You dont really seem to understand why democracies always have law enforcement.
why is it then, in your terms

surely, to some degree, you could understand the exacerbating situation of "law enforcement" jailing a homeless person who was squatting in a vacant building during winter?

plenty of situations in which the "law enforcement", by virtue of "addressing criminality", reinforces and makes worse the material condition of those among us caught lacking capital purse
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Define wrongdoing, define criminality, define cruelty. All are subjective/relative terms. We collectively or individually should not play god.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

princeofcarthage wrote:Define wrongdoing, define criminality, define cruelty. All are subjective/relative terms. We collectively or individually should not play god.
Define subjective, relative, collectively, individually, and play
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Great news!
Attachments
Capture.PNG
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

RefluxSemantic wrote:You dont really seem to understand why democracies always have law enforcement.
why do you love cops? they are generally tools for the capitalists to enforce their control on private property
mad cuz bad
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

n0el wrote:
why do you love cops? they are generally tools for the capitalists to enforce their control on private property
Dont know about US but they are generally tools for the state to enforce law and maintain order in the society.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Without law enforcement the law is just a meaningless piece of text.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

RefluxSemantic wrote:Without law enforcement the law is just a meaningless piece of text.
Exactly, which is why the people in charge of enforcing the laws being super racist is considered bad
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I don't really see why defunding the police would solve that problem.

And also, I mostly think cometk's thoughts on this subject are extremely silly. He shouldn't be allowed to post in the US Politics megathread tbh.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

RefluxSemantic wrote:He shouldn't be allowed to post in the US Politics megathread tbh.
Non Americans getting salty lol
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

RefluxSemantic wrote:I don't really see why defunding the police would solve that problem.

And also, I mostly think cometk's thoughts on this subject are extremely silly. He shouldn't be allowed to post in the US Politics megathread tbh.
“communists” for the police state :uglylol:
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

You dont even realize what communism is, do you?
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

love police :love: love prisons :love: love private property :love: love boots :love:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Cometk wrote:love police :love: love prisons :love: love private property :love: love boots :love:
I do love private property and boots ngl
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

RefluxSemantic wrote:You dont even realize what communism is, do you?
"The creation of new institutions that lay claim to the . . .
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Communism is an authoritarian ideology. A complete monopoly on violence with a very expansive law enforcements fits that ideology perfectly.
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

ok boy off the rails, i can let it go now
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Now that I think about it, most of my private property money wise is tied up in boots
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

So.. is 2024 finally going to be her turn

Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Cometk wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:I wouldn't worry about it if I were you
yeah my 5 year plan has me out of this country. hope it works out

though the tendrils of american cultural and capital supremacy exist nigh everywhere, unfortunately
Come to The Netherlands!
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
Cometk wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:I wouldn't worry about it if I were you
yeah my 5 year plan has me out of this country. hope it works out

though the tendrils of american cultural and capital supremacy exist nigh everywhere, unfortunately
Come to The Netherlands!
One place that seems pretty safe from the tendrils of american cultural and capital supremacy seems to be North Korea, so that's an option.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Cometk wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:I guess Americans don't need to actually read the article because they already know everything
Cometk wrote:Ah yeah the billionaires astroturfing the “defund the police” movement and not the exact opposite
What's the opposite of that? Defunding the police was never popular
After Floyd’s murder, progressive activists quickly coalesced around defunding the police as a slogan and policy objective. (The slogan was itself a compromise between activists who favored reduction of police budgets and those who favored outright abolition.)
re: the opposite: billionaires and the capitalist class want and need the police as an entity to enforce the state's monopoly on violence, to conserve the order of private property remaining private. it isn't wanted the other way around.
A liberal lawyer from the west coast walks into a bar in a poor red state, runs into a Trump supporter. Asks him: "Why do you keep voting against your own interests?" Trump guy replies: "Why do you?"

Your argument is based on a reductive and overly cynical assumption. It assumes people vote and donate only according to their financial interests, when in fact there are many examples of people who act against their financial interests when voting, donating, lobbying etc. You seem to forget that people have convictions, and that everyone makes their own compromises between these convictions and their financial interests. Yes, taxing the wealthy is going to sound worse to you if you're wealthy, but if your convictions tell you it's the right thing to do, maybe they win out, especially if it's money you can afford to lose.
Answer me this: What would happen to your worldview if you won the lottery? Or if you simply landed a good job making 150k a year, making you rich over time. Would you turn against taxing the wealthy?

Here's something actually supported by data: Universities crank out progressives. They also crank out people who tend to land good jobs. The college-educated class, a portion of which ends up rich, is overwhelmingly progressive. It's therefore no surprise that many democrat donors are further left on the political spectrum than the party's voter base.

Defund the police is a great example of this disconnect. It's a grassroots movement, but activist groups supported by progressive donors jumped on it. It, like many other progressive ideas, was sold as highly popular. After all, it's good and in the interest of minority groups. How could it not be popular? Fact is, it wasn't. Even less so among minority groups. As the article points out, they disproportionately expressed support for higher police funding, along with more realistic reforms. So the point there is less about astroturfing, more about the disconnect between the college-educated donor class and the much more moderate voter base that the democrats actually need to win elections.

None of this is to say defund the police is wrong. It probably makes some good points, I don't even really know because it's irrelevant. Politics is about compromise. Highly unpopular and uncompromising movements like these becoming the face of the democratic party, alienating their more moderate voter base including the very minorities whose interests these movements are supposed to be protecting, is very unhelpful.
After Floyd’s murder, progressive activists quickly coalesced around defunding the police as a slogan and policy objective. (The slogan was itself a compromise between activists who favored reduction of police budgets and those who favored outright abolition.) Defunding the police never commanded strong support among the public, which has rejected it by margins of more than two to one, and is unpopular among Democrats. Black and Hispanic Democratic voters are more likely than their white counterparts to support higher spending on police, and no more than one-quarter of any Democratic constituency, Black or white, supports reduced funding. Black voters have consistently registered support both for reforming police to crack down on racism and abuse and increasing the level of protection for residents of high-crime areas.

As longtime Minneapolis police-reform activist Nekima Levy Armstrong lamented, most Black Minneapolis residents wanted serious police reform: “Instead, what we got was progressive posturing of a kind seen throughout the country and a missed opportunity to bring about real change and racial justice.” There are at least some models of police reform that combine greater accountability with more robust protection. Camden, New Jersey, for example, reconstituted its corrupt, abusive police force with one that was both more responsive and larger. Those kinds of reforms are not easy, but they at least have a chance of success since they can command significant public approval (which is not a sufficient condition to enact a high-profile reform, but it is a necessary one). There was never a world in which a concept supported by less than 20 percent of the public was going to emerge victorious.