US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
France iNcog
Ninja

Re: US Politics Megathread

Post by iNcog »

Dolan wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 08:30
Spoiler
Interesting, lol.

You know, I've been wanting to make a thread dumping on Christianity and how it's probably the worst religion ever.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Except she is going to lose in the fall.
mad cuz bad
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

iNcog wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 14:14
I've been wanting to make a thread dumping on Christianity and how it's probably the worst religion ever.
You can join that chorus, though even one of the staunchest supporters of banishing religion from public life has, in the meantime, recanted his position.

He's now taking a "sea water is drinkable for the fish but toxic for non-fish" approach.
In other words, if you force all the non-fish living beings to drink sea water, you might not get the same positive effects as with sea fish.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

People gotta make meaning. Meaning-making ends when rights of others are violated.

American Nationalist Christianity (and others) has nothing to do with being "little Christs." It isn't bad because religion is bad. It's bad because bad is bad. Tools are dangerous and necessary.
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 15:17
iNcog wrote:
I've been wanting to make a thread dumping on Christianity and how it's probably the worst religion ever.
You can join that chorus, though even one of the staunchest supporters of banishing religion from public life has, in the meantime, recanted his position.

[image]

He's now taking a "sea water is drinkable for the fish but toxic for non-fish" approach.
In other words, if you force all the non-fish living beings to drink sea water, you might not get the same positive effects as with sea fish.
It's also often used as an excuse to do bad things.

I think ending religion is bad because religion is good for some people's mental health. There's just a lot of bad religions out there (most of them tbh), which ideally would disappear and all the plebs who need a higher purpose in life can then convert to something a little less destructive like buddhism or some shit
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

I like how people just casually talk about the pros and cons of "abolishing religion" without really thinking about how that would work in practice
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

It will obviously never happen, there's no point discussing the politics of it
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Saying "the politics of it" kind of downplays that it would require an incredibly invasive totalitarian government to abolish religion, and even then you still wouldn't
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

How is it downplaying that
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Goodspeed wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 17:16
How is it downplaying that
The article excerpt mentions that without religion, crimes like shoplifting would go up, which is just a funny thing to comment on when there would obviously be mass scale violence if anyone attempted to actually "abolish religion"
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Dolan wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 15:17
iNcog wrote:

It isn't about ending religion, it's about how putting at the forefront of politics is going to hurt so many people.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Re: 2020 US Elections

Post by lejend »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 00:56
lejend wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 00:19
Show hidden quotes
I didn't say he's attacking right now, though this is a taste of what's to come. What do you think he should've done?
Has "what's to come" happened yet or is Sasse still a totally useless moron
What exactly do you want him to do
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

lejend wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 02:13
fightinfrenchman wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 00:56
Show hidden quotes
Has "what's to come" happened yet or is Sasse still a totally useless moron
I already answered that question, answer mine. Saying "this is a taste of what's to come" implies that something will happen and that you have advanced knowledge of it
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 02:16
lejend wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 02:13
Show hidden quotes
I already answered that question, answer mine. Saying "this is a taste of what's to come" implies that something will happen and that you have advanced knowledge of it
It's been so long I don't even remember what we were talking about
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

lejend wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 02:24
fightinfrenchman wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 02:16
Show hidden quotes
You can just read the quotes and see what it was referencing. I understand why you don't want to do that though since defending the integrity of The Vanishing American Senator is impossible
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 02:25
lejend wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 02:24
Show hidden quotes
You can just read the quotes and see what it was referencing. I understand why you don't want to do that though since defending the integrity of The Vanishing American Senator is impossible
Okay, so the article I posted is from October '20

In February '21 Sasse voted to convict Trump. And he regularly speaks out against Trumpism, e.g. this speech from two weeks ago:

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/351 ... dy-figure/

So, what more do you want from him?
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

tweets like this should be banned tbh
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front ... -benefits/
Forgiving all student debt would be a transfer larger than the amounts the nation has spent over the past 20 years on unemployment insurance, larger than the amount it has spent on the Earned Income Tax Credit, and larger than the amount it has spent on food stamps.

Even $10,000 in debt forgiveness would involve a transfer that is about as large as the country has spent on welfare (TANF) since 2000 and exceeds the amount spent since then on feeding hungry school children in high-poverty schools through the school breakfast and lunch program. Likewise, it dwarfs spending on programs that help feed low-income pregnant women and infants or provide energy assistance to those who otherwise struggle to heat their homes in winter.

Beyond the sums that debt forgiveness would represent, the beneficiaries of student loan forgiveness would be higher income, better educated, and whiter than beneficiaries of other transfer programs.

Accounting correctly for both human capital and effect of subsidies in student lending plans, almost a third of all student debt is owed by the wealthiest 20 percent of households and only 8 percent by the bottom 20 percent. Across-the-board student loan forgiveness is regressive measured by income, family affluence, educational attainment—and also wealth.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

lejend wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 00:44
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front ... -benefits/
Forgiving all student debt would be a transfer larger than the amounts the nation has spent over the past 20 years on unemployment insurance, larger than the amount it has spent on the Earned Income Tax Credit, and larger than the amount it has spent on food stamps.

Even $10,000 in debt forgiveness would involve a transfer that is about as large as the country has spent on welfare (TANF) since 2000 and exceeds the amount spent since then on feeding hungry school children in high-poverty schools through the school breakfast and lunch program. Likewise, it dwarfs spending on programs that help feed low-income pregnant women and infants or provide energy assistance to those who otherwise struggle to heat their homes in winter.

Beyond the sums that debt forgiveness would represent, the beneficiaries of student loan forgiveness would be higher income, better educated, and whiter than beneficiaries of other transfer programs.

Accounting correctly for both human capital and effect of subsidies in student lending plans, almost a third of all student debt is owed by the wealthiest 20 percent of households and only 8 percent by the bottom 20 percent. Across-the-board student loan forgiveness is regressive measured by income, family affluence, educational attainment—and also wealth.
Article says it's better to shore up other social safety nets for low income and people of color. Are you in favor of social safety nets?
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

callentournies wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 01:28
Article says it'd be better to shore up other social safety nets. Are you in favor of social safety nets?
No he's not, he's going to show examples of so-called "moderate" Republicans talking about how they support certain welfare programs while ignoring the fact that they constantly push to weaken these programs with shit like work requirements
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

student loan forgiveness certainly some of the weirdest policies imaginable
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

callentournies wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 01:28
Article says it's better to shore up other social safety nets for low income and people of color. Are you in favor of social safety nets?
Brookings is a left-wing institution, so obviously I don't agree with all their policy objectives; if I did, I would've included it in my quote above. How does this rebut their claim that forgiving student loan debt would disproportionately benefit rich white people, though?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Is anyone even for forgiving all student debt or is this a straw man?
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

$1.5 trillion is honestly that much for US. Should just do it tbh
Fine line to something great is a strange change.