US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: US Politics Megathread

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Goodspeed wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 06:27
fightinfrenchman wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 21:24
Goodspeed wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 20:55
What's the main problem then
A political system that allows a minority of voters to gain complete control over the federal government
I'm reading: The electoral college & redistricting laws. That's 2 problems. That's not a valid answer, it's like answering "green and blue" to "what's your favorite color?"
Pick one.
Of those two I would say the electoral college. But I rescind my answer with that being the main problem, the main problem is that one of the two parties fundamentally doesn't believe in liberal democracy
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

This is my answer to the question of what 3 people alive or dead you'd like to have dinner with
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 13:17
Goodspeed wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 06:27
Show hidden quotes
I'm reading: The electoral college & redistricting laws. That's 2 problems. That's not a valid answer, it's like answering "green and blue" to "what's your favorite color?"
Pick one.
Of those two I would say the electoral college. But I rescind my answer with that being the main problem, the main problem is that one of the two parties fundamentally doesn't believe in liberal democracy
I mean the main systemic problem. You know, the kind of thing that would cause one of the parties to go completely rogue
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Goodspeed wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 13:40
fightinfrenchman wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 13:17
Show hidden quotes
I mean the main systemic problem. You know, the kind of thing that would cause one of the parties to go completely rogue
The kind of thing that would cause that was electing a Black man as president
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

That's not systemic either

Come on, engage brain cells
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

I agree that primaries are generally bad but they're not inherently the main problem, if the Republican party were normal they could use primaries to stop lunatics like Trump from getting nominated. The reason their primaries result in increasingly extreme candidates is that Republican voters have extreme beliefs largely motivated by racial resentment. So all of these things are pretty related tbh
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Without primaries Trump would never have been a candidate
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Goodspeed wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 15:23
How would you propose presidential candidates get picked instead?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

They should all get picked by Francis Fukuyama personally
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 15:46
Goodspeed wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 15:23
How would you propose presidential candidates get picked instead?
By party leadership
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Who do you think Republican party leadership would have picked in 2012 or 2016 if there were no primaries
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Idk, everything would be different. For one, there would be much less corruption and with a weaker corporate lobby the party wouldn't be the same. But hypothetically if they stopped having primaries in 2016 and the party would be the same it was then, maybe Cruz?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Yeah it would have been Cruz and he'd have lost the elections
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

And how do you think the Republican base would have reacted to Cruz being picked and then losing? Keep in mind that this group of people also claimed the election that they won was rigged against them
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Poorly but they almost certainly wouldn't have attempted a coup. The coup was mostly Trump's doing.

Anyway the point that's getting lost is that neither of the parties would be the same if primaries weren't a thing. Significantly weakening lobbyists would change everything
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Do you think the Republican party repeatedly choosing candidates that their base hates would be sustainable? I mean just look at how often in this thread people say the 2016 and 2020 Dem primaries were rigged
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Trump was the culmination of the Tea Party movement. If they didn't get their candidate picked by the Repub caucus, they'd probably raise hell.
They already don't trust any establishment figure, including from the Republican camp.
Changing how votes are thrown in or counted for the sake of getting more moderates elected will just turn the grassroots' frustrations even more explosive.
Then who knows where will this blow up: civil unrest, tax boycott, refusal to deliver food and water to blue states, an attrition war with both blue states and establishment Republicans, etc.
Some of these things will eventually happen anyway, electoral rules changed or not.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Dolan wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 18:56
Trump was the culmination of the Tea Party movement. If they didn't get their candidate picked by the Repub caucus, they'd probably raise hell.
Some good evidence of this is that when the American public didn't pick the Republican candidate they tried to violently overthrow the government
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Assuming Republicans take the House in November, who are we thinking will become Speaker?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 19:02
Dolan wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 18:56
Some good evidence of this is that when the American public didn't pick the Republican candidate they tried to violently overthrow the government
It's in the country's DNA, as the US was established by violently overthrowing the British government's authority in the land.
Old habits die hard
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 18:16
Do you think the Republican party repeatedly choosing candidates that their base hates would be sustainable? I mean just look at how often in this thread people say the 2016 and 2020 Dem primaries were rigged
Anti-establishment rhetoric would have had a place in the GOP's message but Trump, who isn't a party insider, would never have made it that far. The fact that some rando, through appealing to a specific subset of voters alone, can force an entire party to bend to his/her will is bad. Weak parties are bad.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I don't really see any great arguments as to why primaries are the main problem though. Hypothetically claiming that things would definitely have been different isn't a serious argument.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I'm trying to get ear to actually engage in some kind of discussion for the first time in his life. I don't want to spend time making the argument knowing I'll get nothing in return. The prompt was to "change my mind"

What do you think is the biggest problem?
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Goodspeed wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 11:23
I'm trying to get ear to actually engage in some kind of discussion for the first time in his life. I don't want to spend time making the argument knowing I'll get nothing in return. The prompt was to "change my mind"

What do you think is the biggest problem?
I think ultimately the biggest problem is the way the senators are elected. It's ridiculous that a state like Wyoming gets as much of a say as California does. It's inherently undemocratic and leads to minority opinions having a senate majority. Although maybe the two party system is an even bigger problem. But arguably the two party system is also sustained by the way senators are elected.

I do think that the problems are more complex than something that can reasonably be boiled down to a single biggest problem.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

There are so many fundamental issues that are all interconnected it is impossible to say which one is the biggest. It is a chicken and egg situation.
mad cuz bad