US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Re: US Politics Megathread

Post by gibson »

The virus is simply over. For vaccinated people omicron is no worse than the flu. Now the flu kills 40k people a year in the US(also basically all unvaccinated I believe), its nothing to sneeze at, but its time life goes on.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

The virus is currently eating my organs
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

gibson wrote:The virus is simply over. For vaccinated people omicron is no worse than the flu. Now the flu kills 40k people a year in the US(also basically all unvaccinated I believe), its nothing to sneeze at, but its time life goes on.
The reduced efficacy against vaccines and increased transmissibilty means it is probably similar to delta. Of course you will lower rate of effective hospitalization but when you also have 3-4 times more cases hospitals are still going overloaded. 2 days ago US had ~1800 kills. The figure is similar to delta.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

This is genuinely, painfully embarrassing to watch. Sincerely cringeworthy

Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I think a lot of people aren't really looking at the case numbers rn and don't understand that omicron is just a whole different beast. If you actually want to try to avoid it you shouldn't leave your house for the next month at the very least as it burns through people
I currently work at a high school. I finally can get a booster thus sunday. Ill probably get covid in the next two weeks. Sucks but I dont know how this can be avoided.
Are you a physics teacher?
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

occamslightsaber wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I currently work at a high school. I finally can get a booster thus sunday. Ill probably get covid in the next two weeks. Sucks but I dont know how this can be avoided.
Are you a physics teacher?
You know what's funny is literally seconds before I opened this thread I was coming to ask Jerom if he's a physicist because I wanted to complain to him that water takes too long to boil and that should be changed at their next meeting
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

fightinfrenchman wrote:This is genuinely, painfully embarrassing to watch. Sincerely cringeworthy

clip
like a dog made to heel...
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

princeofcarthage wrote:
harcha wrote:danes say everyone is gonna get sick and panini will be over in 2 months. some of the best analysts from my country show similar numbers.
I was gonna say I wouldn't trust Latvian medical expertise but then I decided to do research instead of posting uninformed shit. Apparently latvia is well advanced in medical science. RSU is one of the highly recommended university by Indian government for MBBS/MD. Didnt expect that tbh ngl.
That's more of a question of data science at this point.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

How do you Americans perceive the current state of your democracy in comparison to the weeks and months before the last general election?
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Retired Contributor

duckzilla wrote:How do you Americans perceive the current state of your democracy in comparison to the weeks and months before the last general election?
Life = reptile

I intend all my puns.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

Not confident ngl
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Retired Contributor

Democracy under Biden is in far worse shape than under Trump. Some outlets including his own team have hinted that the best chance for Biden to retain power is Trump. This shows how much influence despite not being a president Trump has on American lives. Biden's approval ratings dropped to historic low faster than Trump. The speech Biden made on Jan 6 was probably unheard off in this history. For a sitting president to go after defeated president in such a way is well not presidential and shame to the office. You have social media companies with uncontrolled power modelling in elections/politics. That has set a very bad precedent and possibly in future these companies can sway the elections in favor of the candidate they deem beneficial. US in many sense is already aristocratic. I think it will move towards either Corporate democracy/corporate aristocracy with some elements of technocracy with president for namesake. The only way true democracy is preserved in US is if Trump wins in 2024.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

princeofcarthage wrote:Democracy under Biden is in far worse shape than under Trump. Some outlets including his own team have hinted that the best chance for Biden to retain power is Trump. This shows how much influence despite not being a president Trump has on American lives. Biden's approval ratings dropped to historic low faster than Trump. The speech Biden made on Jan 6 was probably unheard off in this history. For a sitting president to go after defeated president in such a way is well not presidential and shame to the office. You have social media companies with uncontrolled power modelling in elections/politics. That has set a very bad precedent and possibly in future these companies can sway the elections in favor of the candidate they deem beneficial. US in many sense is already aristocratic. I think it will move towards either Corporate democracy/corporate aristocracy with some elements of technocracy with president for namesake. The only way true democracy is preserved in US is if Trump wins in 2024.
i have defended some of your postings as based, but this is, in fact, cringe
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

When the people are in conflict over values and culture, what could more or less democracy fix. It's not a problem of rules or procedures, it's a cultural problem.
A clash between worldviews which are at odds over the direction in which the federation should be going.

One side will just not accept the policies of the other, and some would even go as far as denying the result of democratic elections not because they have a problem with democracy itself, they have a problem with the results of applying that democracy.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Thanks, Indian restaurant owner, for your first hand insights on the state of American democracy.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Retired Contributor

Classic diversion tactic. When you can't refute the claims attack the person or his character or background. Is me being a restaurant owner to be taken in negative connotation? Is that a bad thing? How does it affect the credibility? You suck.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

One can be indian restaurant owner without being indian
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

princeofcarthage wrote:Classic diversion tactic. When you can't refute the claims attack the person or his character or background. Is me being a restaurant owner to be taken in negative connotation? Is that a bad thing? How does it affect the credibility? You suck.
You're actually right that he didn't make a good point, although I unironically do think you should make a thread about owning a restaurant. I find the process of that very interesting
Retired Contributor

fightinfrenchman wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:Classic diversion tactic. When you can't refute the claims attack the person or his character or background. Is me being a restaurant owner to be taken in negative connotation? Is that a bad thing? How does it affect the credibility? You suck.
You're actually right that he didn't make a good point, although I unironically do think you should make a thread about owning a restaurant. I find the process of that very interesting
Isn’t there another forum member who runs a restaurant? I remember someone offering their restaurant as a venue for a future ESOC meet-up. I think he said he was based in Switzerland. Might want to ask him instead.

I intend all my puns.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

occamslightsaber wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Isn’t there another forum member who runs a restaurant? I remember someone offering their restaurant as a venue for a future ESOC meet-up. I think he said he was based in Switzerland. Might want to ask him instead.
Mongobillione, he's a chef
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

@n0el lock this thread down for Americans only
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Also hide it too for anyone without US IP.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Dolan wrote:Also hide it too for anyone without US IP.
Your best idea yet
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

No, neither being Indian nor being a restaurant owner is a bad thing. But I specifically asked Americans on their opinion regarding the current state of their own democracy. And yes, your credibility lacks a bit with regard to being American and having first hand insight on American democracy.

Why feel offended so easily?

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Retired Contributor

Because you literally attacked my nationality and my occupation. I mean just read again. Compare it with your intent. Its phrased so poorly. Also my post wasn't necessarily a reply to yours. It was just a general observation.