US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary

Post by fightinfrenchman »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
10 May 2019, 17:25
No I don't agree with it just thought it was funny, Bernie isn't evil. Gabbard though...
Good point
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Re: US Politics Megathread

Post by fei123456 »

What's happening in Twitter now? Our news are saying Musk is introducing the "excellent" expericences in China into Twitter, firing Indian and Jews, banning Democratic accounts, cancelling labor unions, and are forcing them to work 12+ hours a day?

I know it's fake news, but I'm not sure it's a rare, medium or well-done fake news.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

Sounds like a word-salad. AFAIK he might have shadow-banned AOC. It's well known he is anti-union and anti-workers rights, but I'm not sure if anything has actually been done in this regard.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

fei123456 wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 11:42
What's happening in Twitter now? Our news are saying Musk is introducing the "excellent" expericences in China into Twitter, firing Indian and Jews, banning Democratic accounts, cancelling labor unions, and are forcing them to work 12+ hours a day?

I know it's fake news, but I'm not sure it's a rare, medium or well-done fake news.
What's up with China and Jews? Is anti-semitism a thing over there?
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

duckzilla wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 12:34
fei123456 wrote:

Seems like the holocaust was pretty inspiring to China.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

fei123456 wrote:

Musk is a 4chan edgy kid wannabe who does some things just to spite the woke establishment.
But he ends up being just a typical reddit hero of the "omg, musk is gonna take us to mars, my startrek lego set will finally become a reality *wide gaping mouth of a bearded i-love-science-tshirt wearer*, also my tesla is so awesome, i can control it with just an app" kind of crowd.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

duckzilla wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 12:34
Things like flat world, fake Apollo project, aliens in 51th region, jews capital that reign the world underneath... are popular everywhere.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

fei123456 wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 14:16
Things like flat world, fake Apollo project, aliens in 51th region, jews capital that reign the world underneath... are popular everywhere.
Ah good to know. Sounds like cultural imperialism has won. On the other hand, everyone wearing western style suits at the party congress somewhat gave this away already.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

the US is not sending it's best ideas for a while now. time for someone to put a stop to it!
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Posting this as an image as for some reason when I post certain keywords, my IP gets blacklisted at ISP level. Some weird shit going on (or maybe they're fighting some spam bots somewhere)

Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

It's a bit too early for China to assess its own political model as more stable than Western alternatives. Let's see if they manage to find a lasting solution for the classic problem of successorship within autocracies.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

duckzilla wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 19:27
It's a bit too early for China to assess its own political model as more stable than Western alternatives. Let's see if they manage to find a lasting solution for the classic problem of successorship within autocracies.
Didn't they already, Xi just got re-confirmed
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Thereby showing that they didn't find a lasting solution to the problem yet. Beforehand, they had the (unwritten?) rule of only two terms in office, which automatically means that the power structure doesn't devolve into a cult of personality. Now that Xi Jinping seems to have rearranged his party both to overturn this rule and to establish a cult of personality surrounding him, succession has become a potentially difficult topic again, since cults of personality usually don't know something like a second in line - the Führer is irreplacable.

One questionable aspect of dropping the two-term rule is easily visible. Xi Jinping made an early decision of following a zero-covid strategy in China. Given the cult of personality, it is very difficult to change this path now as it would mean that the supreme leader was wrong on something, calling the entire cult into question. If the original rule of two terms maximum was still in place, a new general secretary of the CCP would now be in charge and could set a different agenda. The current path leads to unnecessary instability issues that you don't have in a western style political model.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

duckzilla wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 20:16
Thereby showing that they didn't find a lasting solution to the problem yet. Beforehand, they had the (unwritten?) rule of only two terms in office, which automatically means that the power structure doesn't devolve into a cult of personality. Now that Xi Jinping seems to have rearranged his party both to overturn this rule and to establish a cult of personality surrounding him, succession has become a potentially difficult topic again, since cults of personality usually don't know something like a second in line - the Führer is irreplacable.

One questionable aspect of dropping the two-term rule is easily visible. Xi Jinping made an early decision of following a zero-covid strategy in China. Given the cult of personality, it is very difficult to change this path now as it would mean that the supreme leader was wrong on something, calling the entire cult into question. If the original rule of two terms maximum was still in place, a new general secretary of the CCP would now be in charge and could set a different agenda. The current path leads to unnecessary instability issues that you don't have in a western style political model.
Or it might be that they realise China is currently going through multiple crises and it's too risky to start anew with another leader, or there's just nobody impressive enough to replace Xi.
I doubt China's problems will come from leadership issues, I expect them to run into deep structural issues, especially as the younger population is alienated from the work ethic of their boomer leaders. The whole Tang ping (躺平) thing
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

it's not an either/or situation.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 18:55
Posting this as an image as for some reason when I post certain keywords, my IP gets blacklisted at ISP level. Some weird shit going on (or maybe they're fighting some spam bots somewhere)
Wtf
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Yeah, it's probably the ISP fighting some spam thing and rate-limiting posting on some forums that use this Spamhaus API. Probably the ESOC backend checks the blacklisted IPs or smth

Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Dolan wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 22:57
Yeah, it's probably the ISP fighting some spam thing and rate-limiting posting on some forums that use this Spamhaus API. Probably the ESOC backend checks the blacklisted IPs or smth

Russian spy :o
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Horsemen wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 08:56
Spoiler
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Dolan wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 09:41
Horsemen wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 08:56
Spoiler
Actually my IP also got banned at the ISP level for making that post. Soon we will all be banned it seems.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

In your case it kinda makes sense, as you can get arrested for a Tweet in the UK or if you don't have a loicense for that plastic knoife
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Dolan wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 10:56
In your case it kinda makes sense, as you can get arrested for a Tweet in the UK or if you don't have a loicense for that plastic knoife
Please respect the ISP ban and stop posting
United States of America 007Salt
Dragoon

Post by 007Salt »

Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

VODKA
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

wardyb1 wrote:
29 May 2021, 00:13
Manchin and Sinema single handedly going to be responsible for Dems getting annihilated in 2022.
Nah
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix