US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
France iNcog
Ninja

Re: US Politics Megathread

Post by iNcog »

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

lol
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

god you guys are boring? nothing on the midterms?? is esoc washed up?
Garja wrote:
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Princeofcarthage killed every somewhat serious topic and no one wants to talk anymore.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

I don't think he is allowed to use the internet without an adult next to him.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Slovenia Javon
Musketeer

Post by Javon »

I'm happy to see election deniers losing to Democrats. Such talk from politicians (without evidence) is dangerous to democracy and USA should continue to pride itself on being a democracy. Given the choice between DeSantis and Trump, I hope that DeSantis becomes the frontrunner of the Republican party in 2024. I recently read an in-depth article about DeSantis on Financial Times (https://www.ft.com/content/3aa3b7a6-8f7 ... 8946198aa7) and he seems to be better than what I was led to believe. Media from my country didn't do him justice.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

iNcog wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 11:37
What's there to say... The Senate stayed about the same, I think, if Alaska is counted for Repubs, then it's 50/50 with Dem viceprez making the majority.
And the house most likely goes to the Repubs.
So I suppose all this enthusiasm in the Dem camp comes from avoiding a "red wave" rather than actually winning anything.
Basically what they won was not getting punished in a harsher way by voters for the rising gas prices and inflation. When they actually lost the House.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Javon wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 19:02
I'm happy to see election deniers losing to Democrats. Such talk from politicians (without evidence) is dangerous to democracy and USA should continue to pride itself on being a democracy. Given the choice between DeSantis and Trump, I hope that DeSantis becomes the frontrunner of the Republican party in 2024. I recently read an in-depth article about DeSantis on Financial Times (https://www.ft.com/content/3aa3b7a6-8f7 ... 8946198aa7) and he seems to be better than what I was led to believe. Media from my country didn't do him justice.
He might be better than Trump, but that's a low bar to clear. DeSantis seems to have a few things going for him, but I haven't found him to be that different from Trump in terms of their antipathy toward free markets, individual rights and equal treatment under the law. A DeSantis administration would in all likelihood prioritize 'culture war' issues over anything else, so it's really just Trumpism without Trump.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Dolan wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 21:38
iNcog wrote:
What's there to say... The Senate stayed about the same, I think, if Alaska is counted for Repubs, then it's 50/50 with Dem viceprez making the majority.
So I suppose all this enthusiasm in the Dem camp comes from avoiding a "red wave" rather than actually winning anything.
Basically what they won was not getting punished in a harsher way by voters for the rising gas prices and inflation. When they actually lost the House.
The Senate is the same right now, but Democrats have a chance to make a one seat gain in the run off in Georgia. Also part of the enthusiasm from Dems is that Republicans genuinely believed their own hype about a red wave and are now tearing each other apart.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Slovenia Javon
Musketeer

Post by Javon »

lejend wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 22:41
Javon wrote:
He might be better than Trump, but that's a low bar to clear. DeSantis seems to have a few things going for him, but I haven't found him to be that different from Trump in terms of their antipathy toward free markets, individual rights and equal treatment under the law. A DeSantis administration would in all likelihood prioritize 'culture war' issues over anything else, so it's really just Trumpism without Trump.
I'm not really following US politics too much, so can you please tell me more about DeSantis' stance on free markets, individual rights and equal treatement under the law? Anyway Trump - DeSantis primary would make one pivot away from culture war issues as they can't be both on stage shouting the same thing without destroying each other in the polls. If neither pivoted, then a third candidate could gain ground. I found it weird that DeSantis forbid local governments from levying fines to enforce covid-19 restrictions.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Has wokeness gone too far?

No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Dolan wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 21:38
iNcog wrote:
I believe it is common for the ruling party to lose quite badly in the midterm elections. The fact that they didnt lose is, when placed in historical context, actually a pretty big victory for the democrats.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Wild shit

Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Trump running again is good
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

Goodspeed wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 21:40
Agree. If he does become their candidate eventually, it's a known quantity with lots of baggage. Even if he doesn't become their candidate, it's gonna waste lots of resources and brain cells during the infighting at least
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

If a Repub doesn't win the next potus, it's likely some states will start seceding. Or there's gonna be some kind of state disobedience, they will refuse to accept federal law and authority.
Then the DC will send in the national guard, but some parts of the US army will split across political lines. The chain of command in the US army will most likely break down.
There's basically no political solution anymore, the level of political adversity in the US goes beyond what can be delivered through politics.
Republicans will split on this issue on who's for secession and who's for the union, which will put secessionists in a minority.
Then the US will be left in a state of political disarray, in which a significant part of the population wants to split, but it's not significant enough to be able to do it.
So it all descends into various forms of civilian resistance, commercial boycotts, overt opposition to federal authority, etc.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Goodspeed wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 21:40
Finally.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

:hmm: why would they possibly think that:

everything seems normal in the USA
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

The US is crazy town, but to be fair you can cherry pick dumb takes and news articles from anywhere and make it look like crazy town
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

Dolan caught up in shpectacle
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

When will they add Donald Trump to Civ?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

lejend wrote:
03 May 2022, 13:08
Criminalizing murder is generally a sign of progress.

And I'll believe it when I see it. My guess is Kavanaugh or Gorsuch will change their mind and vote to uphold the law. The leak is obviously meant to intimidate them into doing just that.
You should re-examine things that are obvious to you
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

lejend wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 22:41
Javon wrote:
Reported for gender assumption.
[Sith] - Baphomet