US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: Bernie Sanders for Potus 2020

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:He's not a democrat? Even more reasons to vote him in.

Thank you for giving me another example to support my argument in favor of being able to dislike posts
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

@fightinfrenchman look at the 2016 primary polling data. polling right now is meaningless.

Bernie is in green, Hillary in yellow.
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

n0el wrote:@fightinfrenchman look at the 2016 primary polling data. polling right now is meaningless.

Bernie is in green, Hillary in yellow.

Yeah Bernie gained as he gained more name recognition. You think that's going to happen again?
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

No. I think Biden has some weird polling phenoma going which is skewing the data. Once people talk about him and his baggage, he will drop. So regardless, if you look at hypothetical matchups against Trump, only Biden and Bernie are favored against him in a swing state like North Carolina (Biden by 4, Bernie by 3). Warren is next best at a tie, and the rest of the moderates (Booker, Kamala, Beto, etc..) all lose.
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

n0el wrote: if you look at hypothetical matchups against Trump, only Biden and Bernie are favored against him in a swing state like North Carolina (Biden by 4, Bernie by 3). Warren is next best at a tie, and the rest of the moderates (Booker, Kamala, Beto, etc..) all lose.

n0el wrote:polling right now is meaningless.

:hmm:
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

I'd like to see a minority female president, just like in Fantastic Beasts! bear in mind it was 1926
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

pecelot wrote:I'd like to see a minority female president, just like in Fantastic Beasts! bear in mind it was 1926

You know you don't have to make posts here, right?
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

now I do :idea:
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
n0el wrote: if you look at hypothetical matchups against Trump, only Biden and Bernie are favored against him in a swing state like North Carolina (Biden by 4, Bernie by 3). Warren is next best at a tie, and the rest of the moderates (Booker, Kamala, Beto, etc..) all lose.

Should have been specific. I meant polling the Dem field.
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

n0el wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:

Should have been specific. I meant polling the Dem field.

I would agree but mostly because this early on it's so much about name recognition, which is part of the reason Biden is polling so well. The fact that Bernie isn't winning easily makes me think in a few months he'll be doing even worse, if he even declares at all.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

and after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning ET revealed to me his singular purpose he said you are the chosen one the one who will deliver the message a message of hope for those who choose to hear it and a warning for those who do not me the chosen one they chose me and i didnt even graduate from fucking high school
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
pecelot wrote:I'd like to see a minority female president, just like in Fantastic Beasts! bear in mind it was 1926

You know you don't have to make posts here, right?
You don't have to read them.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Yeah so this is why I wanted to move to PM @n0el
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

That’s boring
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

n0el wrote:That’s boring

Let me dislike posts and I'll spend more time making serious posts
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

n0el wrote:... but more importantly, he has the ability to energize the base and that is the only thing that matters.
The base is already energized though, right? By Trump
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Triggered by wizards. Wow. You must join rappamas in the "I dunno the definition of fiction club"
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

n0el wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Well can you show me any polling to support the idea that he would win this time? Despite making major news in 2016 he is actually polling worse now. You'll have to realize that much of his support was not specifically for him but just people who were anti-Hillary.

That being said if he does win the Democratic nomination, I will, of course, support him so we can beat Trump. But in the primaries I would not support him because he's an egomanical asshole, and is also too old.

He is polling worse because the polls are congested and Biden takes 35% in all of them. He has the same support as before, but more importantly, he has the ability to energize the base and that is the only thing that matters. I agree, age is a big factor against him...as well as now with Warren running, that will split off some of his support. Regardless, if he runs, he has the best policies and I would probably support him inthe primaries.

As I pointed out above, Biden is only one year younger than Bernie Sanders, And why is the age of Biden NEVER an issue you think? I think the age is the only thing they can pin on him, cos they are unable to dig out any dirt on him, that will actually stick. And boy have they tried really hard :hmm:
Age is a relative term in judging a persons ability and energy, and when reviewing the energy Bernie are displaying over the last 4 years, I would say that his age is not an issue. He can get sick, I mean ppl have a higher risk of getting sick when they are older, but then again, ppl in all age group can get sick.

Biden is not a progressive candidate, and some months ago, he made an interview lecturing the millennials. The millennials are the group that highly support Bernie Sanders, and represent the future.
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

n0el wrote:No. I think Biden has some weird polling phenoma going which is skewing the data. Once people talk about him and his baggage, he will drop. So regardless, if you look at hypothetical matchups against Trump, only Biden and Bernie are favored against him in a swing state like North Carolina (Biden by 4, Bernie by 3). Warren is next best at a tie, and the rest of the moderates (Booker, Kamala, Beto, etc..) all lose.

Biden insulting millennial is not a smart chess move :hehe: short story:

https://youtu.be/C9WZWGY7nS4?t=61

here is how progressives will understand his insults:
https://youtu.be/VdmeV0GJ-oE

By by Biden :!:
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
n0el wrote:By running for the nomination, it means he is a member of the party.

He is not currently a member of the Democratic party despite running for the nomination in 2016.

That old argument again. We heard it all through the primaries in 2015/16. Give it a rest now. Btw, since then DCCC has made new rules, that will narrow the field: only ppl with a long history in the Democratic party will be allowed to run as a Democrat. But I would like to see them try to stop Bernie ;) The only thing they will achieve then, is that he runs as an independent and that way Democratic party will have no chance at all winning the election. If he should not win as an Independent, it will only give Trump a better chance of 4 more years.
Would that be better you think :?: :?:
:idea:
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

umeu wrote:

Triggered by wizards. Wow. You must join rappamas in the "I dunno the definition of fiction club"

I'm triggered to consider this a valuable option :!:
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:Who would you support then? Who have better policies, if any? The debate in USA are mostly about the candidate's appearances and personality, but very little about actual policy. Sanders is the exception, and that is why he is popular.

The debate is often about apperance and personality because those things impact electability.

iwillspankyou wrote:Why do you say he is an egomanical asshole? Is that your personal view, and what do you base it on?

Yes, this is my stating my personal opinion on him. The way he ran his 2016 campaign is what has convinced me of this; I think he did unnecessary damage to Clinton's reputation among his supporters which contributed to not enough people turning out to vote in 2016, leading to Trump's victory. I also think the fact that he is still an Independent rather than a member of the Democratic party is arrogant.

iwillspankyou wrote:About his age. He is one year older than Biden, and we NEVER hear that Biden is too old in mainstream media. It was also the argument when he ran in 2016, and at that time he was younger than Biden :?: Do you not think this is kind of odd, that the only thing they can hammer Sanders with is his age? Btw Sanders has been touring the country up and down, during the midterm election, like a Duracell Rabitt. I would like to see anyone, including much younger ppl, display the energy and commitment he has.

I don't really watch the news so I'm not sure about mentions about age in the mainstream media. Personally, I don't think old age is necessarily something that would make me not support a candidate, but it is something that makes me less likely to support Biden and also Sanders, regardless of their energy. That being said, Nancy Pelosi is 78 years old and I would love if she was president. The age argument has nothing to do with their ability to lead for me, so however much energy he has is irrelevant; to me, it's solely about electability.

iwillspankyou wrote:Sanders is not polling very well YOU CLAIM. Based on what exactly? Maybe you have other sources of info that I have?

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... ll-770632/
https://news.gallup.com/poll/243539/ame ... nders.aspx
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 312541002/

in other polls the picture are more mixed, BUT Sanders is always among the leading candidates.
https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/sto ... 348677002/

So please, mr @fightinfrenchman I would want you too give some evidence for your claims, cos that would elevate our discourse big time. :idea:

There's nothing to indicate he could beat Joe Biden. I'm not even making the argument that Joe Biden could beat Trump, but Bernie couldn't even beat historically unpopular Hillary, so I don't see how he could beat Biden, or a newcomer who is going to gain in name recognition over the next several months.

The only reason that Sanders popularity surges from 4% to getting 46% of the votes during primaries, was his political views. The reason Clinton went down from 80% approval rate, to way under 50% (I cannot recall the specific figure), was her lack of policies, and that she almost took the voters for granted. Saying "I'm with Her" just isn't enough.
If ppl try to run bases on appearances and personality in 2020, they will soon find out, it just doesn't cut it anymore. :!: PPL are desperate for real change. That is also a fact why Hillary dropped like a rock; she ran for preserving the present, while change is needed.
Sanders have a lot of things going for him, but I would not say it is charisma or good looks ;)

You say Sanders could not even beat Clinton. I am pretty sure he would have, if DNC did not pull every dirty trick in the book, to undermine his campaign. And can you blame ppl that supported Sanders, to not be willing to support Clinton after that? If she had made a fair campaign and won that way, I am sure more of the Sanders supporters would also have supported her in the general election.

In Sanders and Clinton first debate during Primaries, Bernie Sanders, said the famous words "enough with the emails. I'm sick and tired of hearing about them, let us talk about the policies". So, it was not Sanders who dragged her through the mud with the email, if that is what you are referring to. But he did point out her big donations from Wall Street, and that she was not in support of a Singleplayer healthcare system. I would say, Clinton just did not have the right policies, and that is why she lost. You say Sanders is an egomanical asshole. I would say Clinton was, and still is. She and Bill got stinking rich from politics and kissing asses on Wall Street. Sanders, on the other hand, is the person with less wealth in the Senate, even though the media has tried to slander him about his cottage house.
https://youtu.be/HSMGrKSUgj4

About your statistics, I think Biden will sink like a rock, once he starts campaigning. I would say Biden is old, meaning he is out of touch about the conditions of poor and working class ppl, and millennials, and that he is living in the establishment bubble - not seing, not hearing, not empathising. See my post on it above.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

iwillspankyou wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:Who would you support then? Who have better policies, if any? The debate in USA are mostly about the candidate's appearances and personality, but very little about actual policy. Sanders is the exception, and that is why he is popular.

The debate is often about apperance and personality because those things impact electability.

iwillspankyou wrote:Why do you say he is an egomanical asshole? Is that your personal view, and what do you base it on?

Yes, this is my stating my personal opinion on him. The way he ran his 2016 campaign is what has convinced me of this; I think he did unnecessary damage to Clinton's reputation among his supporters which contributed to not enough people turning out to vote in 2016, leading to Trump's victory. I also think the fact that he is still an Independent rather than a member of the Democratic party is arrogant.

iwillspankyou wrote:About his age. He is one year older than Biden, and we NEVER hear that Biden is too old in mainstream media. It was also the argument when he ran in 2016, and at that time he was younger than Biden :?: Do you not think this is kind of odd, that the only thing they can hammer Sanders with is his age? Btw Sanders has been touring the country up and down, during the midterm election, like a Duracell Rabitt. I would like to see anyone, including much younger ppl, display the energy and commitment he has.

I don't really watch the news so I'm not sure about mentions about age in the mainstream media. Personally, I don't think old age is necessarily something that would make me not support a candidate, but it is something that makes me less likely to support Biden and also Sanders, regardless of their energy. That being said, Nancy Pelosi is 78 years old and I would love if she was president. The age argument has nothing to do with their ability to lead for me, so however much energy he has is irrelevant; to me, it's solely about electability.

iwillspankyou wrote:Sanders is not polling very well YOU CLAIM. Based on what exactly? Maybe you have other sources of info that I have?

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... ll-770632/
https://news.gallup.com/poll/243539/ame ... nders.aspx
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 312541002/

in other polls the picture are more mixed, BUT Sanders is always among the leading candidates.
https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/sto ... 348677002/

So please, mr @fightinfrenchman I would want you too give some evidence for your claims, cos that would elevate our discourse big time. :idea:

There's nothing to indicate he could beat Joe Biden. I'm not even making the argument that Joe Biden could beat Trump, but Bernie couldn't even beat historically unpopular Hillary, so I don't see how he could beat Biden, or a newcomer who is going to gain in name recognition over the next several months.

The only reason that Sanders popularity surges from 4% to getting 46% of the votes during primaries, was his political views. The reason Clinton went down from 80% approval rate, to way under 50% (I cannot recall the specific figure), was her lack of policies, and that she almost took the voters for granted. Saying "I'm with Her" just isn't enough.
If ppl try to run bases on appearances and personality in 2020, they will soon find out, it just doesn't cut it anymore. :!: PPL are desperate for real change. That is also a fact why Hillary dropped like a rock; she ran for preserving the present, while change is needed.
Sanders have a lot of things going for him, but I would not say it is charisma or good looks ;)

You say Sanders could not even beat Clinton. I am pretty sure he would have, if DNC did not pull every dirty trick in the book, to undermine his campaign. And can you blame ppl that supported Sanders, to not be willing to support Clinton after that? If she had made a fair campaign and won that way, I am sure more of the Sanders supporters would also have supported her in the general election.

In Sanders and Clinton first debate during Primaries, Bernie Sanders, said the famous words "enough with the emails. I'm sick and tired of hearing about them, let us talk about the policies". So, it was not Sanders who dragged her through the mud with the email, if that is what you are referring to. But he did point out her big donations from Wall Street, and that she was not in support of a Singleplayer healthcare system. I would say, Clinton just did not have the right policies, and that is why she lost. You say Sanders is an egomanical asshole. I would say Clinton was, and still is. She and Bill got stinking rich from politics and kissing asses on Wall Street. Sanders, on the other hand, is the person with less wealth in the Senate, even though the media has tried to slander him about his cottage house.
https://youtu.be/HSMGrKSUgj4

About your statistics, I think Biden will sink like a rock, once he starts campaigning. I would say Biden is old, meaning he is out of touch about the conditions of poor and working class ppl, and millennials, and that he is living in the establishment bubble - not seing, not hearing, not empathising. See my post on it above.

how about we stop quoting large blocks of text? :flowers:
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

iwillspankyou wrote:
n0el wrote:No. I think Biden has some weird polling phenoma going which is skewing the data. Once people talk about him and his baggage, he will drop. So regardless, if you look at hypothetical matchups against Trump, only Biden and Bernie are favored against him in a swing state like North Carolina (Biden by 4, Bernie by 3). Warren is next best at a tie, and the rest of the moderates (Booker, Kamala, Beto, etc..) all lose.

Biden insulting millennial is not a smart chess move :hehe: short story:

https://youtu.be/C9WZWGY7nS4?t=61

here is how progressives will understand his insults:
https://youtu.be/VdmeV0GJ-oE

By by Biden :!:

i would like to listen to it, but I just get an allergic reaction to American shows that pass for politics... I start getting reactions similar to a stroke, my body feels numb and i start drooling... it's bad. very bad...
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

I like Jimmy Dore show, but you are free to not watch it @deleted_user
good post, very productive and enlightening btw :hmm:
We have saying, and you maybe have one in Netherland too, it goes like this; if you have nothing to say, don't say it here please :huh:
But then again, I think you have plenty of input to the thread, later on :P