US Politics Megathread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: 2020 US Elections

Post by fightinfrenchman »

n0el wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Acting like the Republican party isn't built on racism is insane
That’s not what you said. You said people vote for republicans because they are racists. Those are two completely different things.
Yeah that is one of the main reasons they vote for Republicans, you should know this
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
n0el wrote:
Show hidden quotes
That’s not what you said. You said people vote for republicans because they are racists. Those are two completely different things.
Yeah that is one of the main reasons they vote for Republicans, you should know this
Is @evilcheadar a racist? He voted for trump right? What about @gustavusadolphus ?
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

n0el wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Is @evilcheadar a racist? He voted for trump right? What about @gustavusadolphus ?
Yeah they're pretty racist ngl, trying to convince them to not vote for him again
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

n0el wrote:
wardyb1 wrote:Also good to note that the house passed the D.C Statehood bill with a think only 1 Dem not voting for it and it is the most Trump - Dem seat in the House. Currently only 41 Dem Senators currently support this unfortunately. However if there were big wins in the Senate in November then it could very well become viable with the additional pressure to pass it.
Not sure why all Dem senators don’t back this. What’s the downside?
Honestly no idea. My only thought is for the Senators in much redder states don't want to commit until they know they have the numbers so it can't be used against them. But I don't think that applies to all the Dem Senators that haven't committed so far so I'm not sure. Some of them might just hold the idea that 100 is a nice number of senators, but yeah honestly no clue really.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
United States of America 007Salt
Dragoon

Post by 007Salt »

Snuden wrote:Those supporting Trump (or vote republican) are honestly dumb... they might be nice people, just dumb.
I think some people vote for Trump because of the type of work they do I think. There are reasons to vote for Trump but it's not based on morals.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

007Salt wrote:
Snuden wrote:Those supporting Trump (or vote republican) are honestly dumb... they might be nice people, just dumb.
I think some people vote for Trump because of the type of work they do I think. There are reasons to vote for Trump but it's not based on morals.
Sounds like people vote for Trump purely for personal gains while shouting MAGA and speaking about patriotism.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Something related to cringing.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Why, what's cringe worthy about that
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I'm guessing the fact that neither of them is named Bernie Sanders
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Cometk wrote:
Please pivot to the GE
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Goodspeed wrote:
Cometk wrote:
Please pivot to the GE
it's just something i found funny
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

Susan Collins continuing to look more and more like a clown after Kavanaugh's decision on the abortion case today. If she doesn't lose her seat in November, there is something seriously wrong.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

duckzilla wrote:
007Salt wrote:
Sounds like people vote for Trump purely for personal gains while shouting MAGA and speaking about patriotism.
Its not personal gain. If you make under like 200k a year and vote republican you are voting against your overall financial interest.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

gibson wrote:
duckzilla wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Its not personal gain. If you make under like 200k a year and vote republican you are voting against your overall financial interest.
While what you say may be the actual reality, people do not vote for realities but for what they imagine reality to be. I can vote for Trump, thoroughly believing that his policies lead to personal gains for me, and still get ripped off without realizing what happens.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

Once you realise about 30% (made up stat, but it feels like this) of people have absolutely no idea how income tax is calculated you quickly realise how people vote for the people they do.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

gibson wrote:
duckzilla wrote:
Show hidden quotes
The problem for anyone who believes in small government these days is that so much of the population now benefits from government handouts.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

chris1089 wrote:
gibson wrote:
Show hidden quotes
The problem for anyone who believes in small government these days is that so much of the population now benefits from government handouts.
Except Republicans aren't even the "small government" party anymore no matter how much they would like to claim.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

wardyb1 wrote:
chris1089 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Except Republicans aren't even the "small government" party anymore no matter how much they would like to claim.
Bush certainly wasn't, and Trump isn't either, but there are people within the party who are.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

chris1089 wrote:
wardyb1 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Bush certainly wasn't, and Trump isn't either, but there are people within the party who are.
True but the actions of the party is all that really matters. As a party they haven't acted like the small government party for a long, long time.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

duckzilla wrote:While what you say may be the actual reality, people do not vote for realities but for what they imagine reality to be. I can vote for Trump, thoroughly believing that his policies lead to personal gains for me, and still get ripped off without realizing what happens.
I think I could refine this idea:

A political candidate is a suitable target onto which voters externalise their political temperament and project whatever they expect from politics.

Which also implies there doesn't necessarily have to be any awareness of those projected hopes being either realistic or illusory.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

wardyb1 wrote:
chris1089 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
True but the actions of the party is all that really matters. As a party they haven't acted like the small government party for a long, long time.
I agree this is important, but I think it also matters what your candidate believes in.
Is there a whip or anything equivalent in the US system?
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Rumors has it that GOP want to force Trump to drop out
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

iwillspankyou wrote:Rumors has it that GOP want to force Trump to drop out
GOP is the republican party for any others who didn't know.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

iwillspankyou wrote:Rumors has it that GOP want to force Trump to drop out
I'll believe it when I see it. They literally had the opportunity to do this just a few months ago lol