Diamond market

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Re: Diamond market

Post by momuuu »

Just because our society is currently build on having some authenticity for some things doesn't mean we should let it affect our judgement.

If a diamond looks the same, it is the same. We dont discriminate between hydrogen atoms either, do we? Theres no point in discriminating between things that are literally the same except for their untracable origins.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

I thought diamonds were formed under extreme pressure and heat deep inside the earth, is this process effective enough to create cheap diamonds? Diamond is a very useful material and it would be beneficial if it would be mass produced in a lower price.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

momuuu wrote:Just because our society is currently build on having some authenticity for some things doesn't mean we should let it affect our judgement.

If a diamond looks the same, it is the same. We dont discriminate between hydrogen atoms either, do we? Theres no point in discriminating between things that are literally the same except for their untracable origins.

I agree here, but it doesn't mean most people do. I was just proposing a way the "authenticity" could be traced.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

tedere12 wrote:I thought diamonds were formed under extreme pressure and heat deep inside the earth, is this process effective enough to create cheap diamonds? Diamond is a very useful material and it would be beneficial if it would be mass produced in a lower price.

they've been producing lab diamonds for industrial purposes for some time already.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

momuuu wrote:When you can't tell the difference, there is no difference. If that's the case, then it's like putting some arbitrary label on one product and advertising that heavily while having a secondary unadvertised brand. This sort of works for food too. We're willing to pay more for a known brand than for a cheap spinoff producing basically the same thing.

well, if what somppu says is correct, then they can see a difference, it's just expensive and time consuming. but ye, for what it's purpose is, there isn't any difference.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

momuuu wrote:Just because our society is currently build on having some authenticity for some things doesn't mean we should let it affect our judgement.

Premium products are usually sold on the basis of more than just their physical qualities. Most also come with a 'story' or 'culture' that the consumer can buy into through ownership of the product. Think of upmarket smartphones compared to lower market brands - there is little physical difference between a premium iPhone and a Chinese knock-off. But many people will still buy the iPhone because they value the intangibles, i.e. the style and prestige. I think the same would apply to natural vs. synthetic diamonds.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Horsemen wrote:But many people will still buy the iPhone because they value the intangibles, i.e. the style and prestige. I think the same would apply to natural vs. synthetic diamonds.

I don't think iPhone is a good comparison. There are plenty of differences even if the hardware is very similar. You may believe that Apple has more respect for your privacy, better support network (easy to walk into an Apple store for help if you don't mind throwing money at it), better quality control, etc. Many people also buy it for access to the software walled garden; they want to FaceTime and iMessage with their friends.

I really don't think that many people buy iPhones for "prestige". It's hard to be a prestige symbol when nearly everyone has one.

Note that even though many people have diamonds, you can always get bigger and more expensive ones, while iPhones come only in a few variants.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

musketeer925 wrote:
Horsemen wrote:But many people will still buy the iPhone because they value the intangibles, i.e. the style and prestige. I think the same would apply to natural vs. synthetic diamonds.

I don't think iPhone is a good comparison. There are plenty of differences even if the hardware is very similar. You may believe that Apple has more respect for your privacy, better support network (easy to walk into an Apple store for help if you don't mind throwing money at it), better quality control, etc. Many people also buy it for access to the software walled garden; they want to FaceTime and iMessage with their friends.

I really don't think that many people buy iPhones for "prestige". It's hard to be a prestige symbol when nearly everyone has one.

Note that even though many people have diamonds, you can always get bigger and more expensive ones, while iPhones come only in a few variants.

Spotted the apple fanboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Horsemen wrote:
musketeer925 wrote:

Spotted the apple fanboy

I have an LG G7 ThinQ and would never buy an iPhone, thanks. Too much money for what you get (I got my ThinQ on sale at Best Buy for ~$450, less than a week after release). I really don't see how my post came across as defending Apple. All of the positive things I cited about apple I preceded with a "you may believe". Referring to their software as a "walled garden" isn't exactly praise, and neither is the fact that you have to throw money at it to get any support.

I do believe, however, that Apple is probably better on privacy than Google, but that's not a discussion for this thread.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Imagine caring about brand loyalty outside of Coors the Banquet beer brewed cold born in the Rockies watch them mountains turn blue, boy.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

deleted_user wrote:Imagine caring about brand loyalty outside of Coors the Banquet beer brewed cold born in the Rockies watch them mountains turn blue, boy.

Says the guy who shit on Keystone because he makes 72 a year.
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

n0el wrote:
deleted_user wrote:Imagine caring about brand loyalty outside of Coors the Banquet beer brewed cold born in the Rockies watch them mountains turn blue, boy.

It's hard to be elitist when you're living on $6 a month
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
n0el wrote:

It's hard to be elitist when you're living on $6 a month

I'm living on $2 a year and I'm doing just fine