Album of the Day

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Re: Album of the Day

Post by Cometk »

@fightinfrenchman too busy with other things, haven’t spent time actively listening to and thinking about music since I stopped album of the day. all I do is put my Spotify library on shuffle these days
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Well I hope you're ready for me to bring my Bluetooth speaker to our Airbnb and blast My Fair Lady for 5 days straight
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by Vinyanyérë »

Track 1 - Overture
Takes me back to my elementary/middle school days of watching old 60s/70s movies on TV. You can imagine this track playing over an extended film intro with someone driving across a European countryside in the sort of manner that would bore contemporary audiences (myself included) to death. Great track.

Track 2 - Why Can't the English
Big horns coming in. Vocals start shortly afterwards, with a (presumably upper-class) Englishman making fun of how the rest of the English speak. "Arabians speak Arabian" :thinking:

Track 3 - Wouldn't It Be Loverly
I'm starting to regret listening to this album just to do a meme. There are so many better things that I could be doing. This does remind me of one of my favorite films of the era, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which I want to go watch now.

Track 4 - With a Little Bit of Luck
This one wasn't terrible, but it dragged on a bit.

Track 5 - I'm an Ordinary Man
Most of these tracks aren't exactly bad, but they're unremarkable. I could listen to them and enjoy parts of them, but they aren't the kind of thing that I'd look to listen to. Maybe the fact that I haven't watched the play/movie and have no context behind these songs is what causes the issue here.

Track 6 - Just You Wait
I was writing up the review for the last track while this one was on.

Track 7 - The Rain in Spain
Some sort of track where the character has accent coaching or something. It didn't rain a single time that I was in Spain, and to be honest there was little more than a drizzle when I was in England. Big disappointment!

Track 8 - I Could Have Danced All Night
Some nice vocal work here actually. I liked how the main character's lines wove between the background characters, kind of like a conversation or an echoing.

Track 9 - Ascot Gavotte
I almost gave up on this meme but I saw that today was August 8th, and the album that needed to be reviewed was for Feburary 8th, and those are the same number which is kinda cool. This track is a bit of a departure from the previous eight; it's got like a full choir doing the vocals with something like a stochatto (don't know the actual term here). Makes it sound like they're singing the equivalent of marching.

Track 10 - On the Street Where You Live
I'm out of things to write this album is so boring I'm sorry ear I don't know why you put me through this. Should I watch the movie?

Track 11 - You Did It
Back to one of the instrumental motifs (word?) that has come up a few times, and then the singers come in and we're back to the same thing I've been hearing for the past 30 minutes. The instrumental melody here is pretty good. It really captures that 60s film style well and makes me want to put on a couple old films. Something about Hungary is important to this song?

Track 12 - Show Me
Words, words, words, I'm so sick of words. Preach it. Actually this one was decent.

Track 13 - Get Me to the Church on Time
"There's just a few more hours" I sure hope not.

Track 14 - A Hymn To Him
This the incel rally song or something?

Track 15 - Without You
I can doooooooooooooooooooooooo without this track.

Track 16 - I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face
Alright last one. Amazon music gives what I'm guessing are the actors as the artists for each track, which is going to screw with my last.fm tracking and also gives me some indication of who's doing what. On average, the Rex Harrison tracks were weak and the Julie Andrews tracks were better.

Standout tracks: Overture, I Could Have Danced All Night, Show Me

My Fair Lady Soundtrack by Frederick Loewe with lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner and conducted by Franz Allers, while the cast included stars Julie Andrews and Rex Harrison - Pretty trash out of 10

see you tomorrow
duck
:mds:
imo
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Review Stille Willem's new track please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpbr9bmV3oQ
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Vinyanyérë wrote:This does remind me of one of my favorite films of the era, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which I want to go watch now.
I We love you.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Vinyanyérë wrote:Track 8 - I Could Have Danced All Night
Some nice vocal work here actually. .

I like that you wrote "actually" as if you weren't expecting it to be good when it's sung by Julie Goddamn Andrews.

Also don't watch the movie because it doesn't have her in it
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Review Stille Willem's new track please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpbr9bmV3oQ
It think it's really cool how he invented his own language for his music, even though it sounds kinda weird. Clearly based off of German though.
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06

Post by Vinyanyérë »

August 9: The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

The Rolling Stones are a band that I've probably listened to many times, but I also probably couldn't recognize any song of theirs as being by them. They're immensely popular, of course, but I've never listened to any of their albums and so my exposure to them has been limited to incidental encounters.

My hot take on the 50s and 60s rock bands is that they were instrumental in developing a sound that other, better bands could build off of. We'll see if The Rolling Stones can break out of that image.

Track 1 - Brown Sugar
Not exactly in line with my expectations. Has a bit of a southern rock vibe, the kind of thing you could hear on a Lynyrd Skynyrd album. The mid-song saxophone was another unexpected turn. I like Lynyrd Skynyrd and I like this too.

Track 2 - Sway
I guess this counts as a power ballad, though it seems early in the album. There's not really any emotional buildup either, just a "get your lighters iPhones out it’s time for sad song now". Even within the song, I wasn't too enamored. The melodies always sounded a little disjointed.

Track 3 - Wild Horses
Off to a slow start here. And then it never picked up. I didn't like this one. Admittedly, I was trying to work while listening, but this didn't capture my attention at all until I remembered that this was still on.

Track 4 - Can’t You Hear Me Knocking
Better here, this opening riff is good. It never goes in the direction you expect it to. That transition a couple minutes in where the cymbal opens up (either the hi-hat opened or the drummer moved to the ride cymbal I think) was great. But then they're back to the main riff which is overstaying its welcome. Wait but now they're back to the cool transition! Midway through we've got another saxophone part which is nice. I could live with an entire album of just the saxophonist. Now we’re on the section of aimless guitar faffing and I'm getting bored again. Overall was pretty good, but the extended outro seemed a little weak (except the last 15 seconds)

Track 5 - You Gotta Move
This did nothing for me.

Track 6 - Bitch
Back to some energy. "When you call my name, I salivate like a Pavlov dog" haha. Is that an entire brass section? That’s pretty good.

Track 7 - I Got The Blues
I know this album came out 35 years before Opeth's Watershed, but the keyboard section reminded me of Opeth's song Burden or maybe something out of Riverside. Yeah that's it, this one wasn't very exciting outside of that one bit.

Track 8 - Sister Morphine
I was really bored up until halfway through where the band comes in with a really nice groove and I had to run the track back a little to see how it built up. The transition wasn't stellar (the drum fill actually seems a little out of place and not quite there on the timing), but you can see what they're going for here. But then they kill it again and start building up again, and then kill it again again and build up again again. I guess it's kinda cool.

Track 9 - Dead Flowers
Was ok I didn't pay much attention to it. Sounded like a filler track.

Track 10 - Moonlight Mile
Strings on this are nice. I think they’re playing on a pentatonic scale? The outro was actually too short, which is a positive thing as it shows that I actually want more.

Standout tracks: Brown Sugar, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Bitch, Moonlight Mile

Sticky Fingers by The Rolling Stones - My hot take still stands, but this is decent out of 10

see you tomorrow
duck
imo
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

@Vinyanyérë Are you still taking requests or just going through what Cometk owes?
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06

Post by Vinyanyérë »

You may do additional recommendations but not too many and also be aware that you're 0 for 2 right now
duck
imo
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

@Vinyanyérë How for two, you've only done one of my albums, and you were very wrong about it. Also make me a mod so I can deal with the Discord
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06

Post by Vinyanyérë »

put it on the calendar
duck
imo
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

I plan on doing an album of the decade. I need 30 suggestions please.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Jam wrote:I plan on doing an album of the decade. I need 30 suggestions please.

Which decade?

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Vinyanyérë wrote:August 9: The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

The Rolling Stones are a band that I've probably listened to many times, but I also probably couldn't recognize any song of theirs as being by them. They're immensely popular, of course, but I've never listened to any of their albums and so my exposure to them has been limited to incidental encounters.

My hot take on the 50s and 60s rock bands is that they were instrumental in developing a sound that other, better bands could build off of. We'll see if The Rolling Stones can break out of that image.

Track 1 - Brown Sugar
Not exactly in line with my expectations. Has a bit of a southern rock vibe, the kind of thing you could hear on a Lynyrd Skynyrd album. The mid-song saxophone was another unexpected turn. I like Lynyrd Skynyrd and I like this too.

Track 2 - Sway
I guess this counts as a power ballad, though it seems early in the album. There's not really any emotional buildup either, just a "get your lighters iPhones out it’s time for sad song now". Even within the song, I wasn't too enamored. The melodies always sounded a little disjointed.

Track 3 - Wild Horses
Off to a slow start here. And then it never picked up. I didn't like this one. Admittedly, I was trying to work while listening, but this didn't capture my attention at all until I remembered that this was still on.

Track 4 - Can’t You Hear Me Knocking
Better here, this opening riff is good. It never goes in the direction you expect it to. That transition a couple minutes in where the cymbal opens up (either the hi-hat opened or the drummer moved to the ride cymbal I think) was great. But then they're back to the main riff which is overstaying its welcome. Wait but now they're back to the cool transition! Midway through we've got another saxophone part which is nice. I could live with an entire album of just the saxophonist. Now we’re on the section of aimless guitar faffing and I'm getting bored again. Overall was pretty good, but the extended outro seemed a little weak (except the last 15 seconds)

Track 5 - You Gotta Move
This did nothing for me.

Track 6 - Bitch
Back to some energy. "When you call my name, I salivate like a Pavlov dog" haha. Is that an entire brass section? That’s pretty good.

Track 7 - I Got The Blues
I know this album came out 35 years before Opeth's Watershed, but the keyboard section reminded me of Opeth's song Burden or maybe something out of Riverside. Yeah that's it, this one wasn't very exciting outside of that one bit.

Track 8 - Sister Morphine
I was really bored up until halfway through where the band comes in with a really nice groove and I had to run the track back a little to see how it built up. The transition wasn't stellar (the drum fill actually seems a little out of place and not quite there on the timing), but you can see what they're going for here. But then they kill it again and start building up again, and then kill it again again and build up again again. I guess it's kinda cool.

Track 9 - Dead Flowers
Was ok I didn't pay much attention to it. Sounded like a filler track.

Track 10 - Moonlight Mile
Strings on this are nice. I think they’re playing on a pentatonic scale? The outro was actually too short, which is a positive thing as it shows that I actually want more.

Standout tracks: Brown Sugar, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Bitch, Moonlight Mile

Sticky Fingers by The Rolling Stones - My hot take still stands, but this is decent out of 10

see you tomorrow

pretty much mirrors what I've heard on first listen, some tracks need multiple listens to appreaciate
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06

Post by Vinyanyérë »

Reasonable. I could see myself enjoying this album on the second listen. Unfortunately, no second listen may happen, as my headphones broke (only the left ear works) and replacement headphones will not arrive until Monday. I will listen to La Femme's Mystere as best I can (I have a train ride on Sunday that will give me some free time), but I will have to hold off on the next couple Album of the Days until my new headphones arrive. Fear not, for I will catch up on my commitments unlike certain members of ESOC who are colored in purple. The headphone issue is unfortunate but will not prevent us from our duties.
duck
imo
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Vinyanyérë wrote:Reasonable. I could see myself enjoying this album on the second listen. Unfortunately, no second listen may happen, as my headphones broke (only the left ear works) and replacement headphones will not arrive until Monday. I will listen to La Femme's Mystere as best I can (I have a train ride on Sunday that will give me some free time), but I will have to hold off on the next couple Album of the Days until my new headphones arrive. Fear not, for I will catch up on my commitments unlike certain members of ESOC who are colored in purple. The headphone issue is unfortunate but will not prevent us from our duties.

Everyone with a special color username is crooked, prove me wrong
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06

Post by Vinyanyérë »

August 12: Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music

Noise music is one of those genres where you can't quite tell if the artist is an extremely high IQ avant-garde musician way ahead of their time, someone who thinks that they belong in the former group but actually just have their head up their ass, or an enormous troll of people in the second group. Come to think of it, the same thing pretty much applies to our favorite horse-drake member of ESOC. Joke's on him though, because I'm in all three groups at once!

Anyway, I'm doing this album earlier than the other two because I figured I wouldn't need sound in my right ear to get basically the same experience.

Track 1 - Metal Machine Music, Pt. 1

It’s a nice sound, surprisingly has a kind of warm and sunny feeling to it. Reminds me of birds singing during summer even though it doesn't really sound like that.

Track 2 - Metal Machine Music, Pt. 2

I didn't realize that we were on track 2 until like 4 minutes into this I thought we were still on track 1. I admit that I was expecting a little more variance than thirty minutes of weeeeuuuuuudululululululululu. Oh well, I'm excited for thirty more!

Track 3 - Metal Machine Music, Pt. 3

Turning the volume up changes the album a lot. Some of what was previously inaudible or far into the background has become a lot more prominent, and you can hear the feedback and variations a lot more easily. The quiet and sunny day is still there, but it's joined with immeasurable suffering as it's joined by an amplifier screaming (it actually sounds like screaming) into the abyss. Sometimes the birds die out and are replaced by a much heavier noise sound. Makes you think, I guess.

Track 4 - Metal Machine Music, Pt. 4

My left ear was starting to hurt so I moved the headphone to my right ear. Idk if it was caused by the music but it's good to have a change of pace and allow both ears to experience this. Last couple minutes of this track really change it up by the way, compared to the previous hour of this album you could basically dance to this. Not sure if I'm fond of Reed going all pop on me like that, have some integrity.

According to Wikipedia, in the liner notes of this album, Lou Reed claims to have invented heavy metal and that this album is the ultimate conclusion of the genre. Both of those are false, and so I'm going to tentatively put Lou Reed in category 3 (massive troll). Still, I had a good time with this album, and I want to now listen to some Tangerine Dream.

Standout tracks: Metal Machine Music Pt. 1, Metal Machine Music Pt. 3

Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed - Enjoyable out of 10

Mystère and Comet's choice will follow later today!

see you later today
duck
imo
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

I'm a bit dim, how do a i recommend an album?

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06

Post by Vinyanyérë »

Firstly, change your avatar. Now that you're in purple I keep getting you confused with cometk. Secondly, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AQntyhmkza5vb94C9NC_vLwNsNEwbsSZkeCGngmLyU8/edit?usp=sharing
duck
imo
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Riotcoke wrote:I'm a bit dim, how do a i recommend an album?

Venmo Duck $30, it’s what I had to do
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Wait a fuckin second
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

Vinyanyérë wrote:Firstly, change your avatar. Now that you're in purple I keep getting you confused with cometk. Secondly, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AQntyhmkza5vb94C9NC_vLwNsNEwbsSZkeCGngmLyU8/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks, what do i change it to though?

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06

Post by Vinyanyérë »

Best bet is to change it to a duck, I probably won't get you and me confused. Also, put your rec on the February 16th slot. I'll change it to August 16th when we get to that day.
duck
imo