Live-cooking

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Live-cooking

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

Hey guys!
Im thinking about a live stream where I cook.
The problematic is that my kitchen is pretty small and I need to connect everything together.

Does anyone have long therm expirince with head cams?
Can I stream with this?
How would you setup something like this?

Between kitchen and my comp are 2 doors and around 5 meters. I cant work with wires.

One idea is to have a head cam and a cam on top of my fridge and maybe one in front of me... But then They need connection via Bluetooth :unsure:

I need some ideas and hopefully at the end a good idea how it will be the best... Theoretical :biggrin:
shit juice :hmm:
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Re: Live-cooking

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

I'll send you my liver if you promise you will cook it on livestream.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

I am not sure if you should care with a head cam, I imagine it's very shaky and hard to see if you don't have a very expensive setup. I think I would start out with having one cam at your kitchen counter and see how you go from there. Would be a shame to invest a lot of money and/or effort into something that doesn't work out. If you have 2 or 3 cams you also need to switch between the camera views and you will need a dedicated person to do that for you, I am not sure if that's feasible at the start? One cam with a wire to your computer seems like a good start, eventually you will figure out what cam works best for you.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

tedere12 wrote:I'll send you my liver if you promise you will cook it on livestream.

Only if you stream yourself while taking the liver out of your body
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

Im interested in a queen-cooking-cast... if you include meat!
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I don't have experience with this, but I know what a guy who's been doing this for more than 5 years uses to shoot his videos:

ABSOLUTE MINIMUM SETUP:
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓
GoPro HERO5 Black (or you could go with the newest one, HERO7)

Code: Select all

https://www.amazon.com/GoPro-HERO5-Black-Waterproof-Digital/dp/B01M14ATO0

Head Strap Camera Mount for GoPro

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Strap-Camera-Mount-GoPro/dp/B00R4YCKIK

▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓
This is the absolute minimum for only streaming via wifi. Connect the cam to the computer or phone and start streaming, but it usually has a few seconds delay.

OPTIONAL:

AUDIO
If you also want to output sound while you're moving, you need a wearable boom mic which might need an adaptor for the GoPro cam:

GoPro Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter

https://www.amazon.com/GoPro-3-5mm-Adapter-Official-Accessory/dp/B01L2CPPH2

Antlion Audio ModMic 5 Modular Attachable Boom Microphone

https://www.amazon.com/Antlion-Audio-Modular-Attachable-Microphone/dp/B01MCYRKY3

If you want to also have live wireless audio feedback into your headphones, you could connect this to your PC and send the audio back to your wireless headphones (if you have a pair):

Mpow Bluetooth 4.1 Receiver and Transmitter

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Headphones-Hands-free/dp/B01KXIKCSI

POWER:
A power brick for extra battery for extended long streams:
Anker PowerCore 13000 C

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-13000mAh-VoltageBoost-Technology/dp/B072155XVX

VIDEO:
If you want to get maximum video quality and better performance (which you won't get from a crappy wifi connection), you might need a more expensive HDMI wireless transmitter:

Nyrius Aries Pro Wireless HDMI Transmitter and Receiver

https://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-Wireless-Transmitter-Projector-NPCS600/dp/B0092T3E3A

This is kinda expensive and clunky, though, because there are many accessories you need to connect and manage before you're ready to stream live in great quality. Both the box and the USB stick transmitter connect to a power source via USB and to video signal via HDMI (the box connects to the device on which you output (TV, PC, etc) and the USB stick to your camera pack).

An alternative, cheaper 4K camera, some swear by this one, I've no idea if it's good or not:
AKASO Action Camera V50

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07JDHM57Y/ref=twister_B07MLS7TYW

You might also need some extra adaptors and cables to connect there, if a connection is missing. Like an HDMI to microHDMI cable etc. But these are usually cheaper.

There also are some tutorials on how you can do that, by using the minimal setup (just the cam and the headmount) and some software:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Stream ... IRELESSLY/

A few points:
  • It's cheaper if you only get the camera and the headmount and stream over wifi, but the quality of live footage might not be awesome, just barely acceptable, because streaming video over WiFi sucks.
  • The next best thing is to connect the camera with HDMI cables to your PC, so you get better quality, but you have less mobility.
  • If you want both mobility and best quality, it's going to cost a lot more. And you will need a portable powerbank too, because the more devices you connect to the camera (mic, hdmi transmitter) the faster its battery gets drained.

PS. I don't recommend you buy from Amazon, in fact I hope you don't. But it was easier to provide links from one place, than from multiple sites/resellers.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Dolan wrote:[b]I don't have experience with this, but I know what a guy who's been doing this for more than 5 years uses to shoot his videos:
[b]

It's pewdiepie isn't it?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

No, it's a fat guy who does audio gear reviews (Z Reviews).
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Also, you have to keep in mind that GoPro cameras are rather small, so they can be fitted on your head (or arm, or shoulder). For this reason, their lenses cannot be very large, so the field of view tends to show a lot of perspective distortion.
For an example of this effect, check out this footage that was taken using the camera I mentioned (a GoPro Hero5 Black), so you can see how the 3D perspective is slightly distorted and the field of view is rather limited:

phpBB [video]

That's why those streamers/youtubers who want professional quality and great optical perspective invest in expensive video gear (like RED cameras that can cost in the tens of thousands of bucks). But for just playing around with a camera with decent, usable quality, a GoPro Hero is ok. Maybe even those cheaper alternatives are ok, I haven't seen footage taken with them, though.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Use a Nikon d3400
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

What's wrong with Satan?
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

Thank you so much @Dolan
I get closer to my idea...
Might use just 2 cams one on my head and a cheap one on top somewhere and I will switch them myself with my laptop or something.
There are a lot of possiblietys how to realize it. The biggest problem is my 4m² kitchen.
If it would be bigger I wouldn't use a headcam
shit juice :hmm:
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

No probs.

Cheader's suggestion is also good, but if you get an entry-level DSLR you will need a tripod and a horizontal camera mount, to keep the camera suspended on top of whatever you're filming on the table. A good tripod can cost more than 100 euros and a horizontal camera mount about 50 euros. An entry-level DSLR can cost at least 400-500 euros. You'd also have to make sure you balance the weight of the camera on the mount, or else it might collapse in your soup. :uglylol:

The advantage is DSLR cameras have great optics/glass and bigger sensor than GoPro cameras, but you can't really mount them on your head (unless you have a very sturdy and muscular neck :wood:). So they will have to stay in a fixed position, mounted on a tripod.

So sure, a DSLR will have much better image quality than a GoPro, but it will cost more and you can't realistically stream with it mounted on your head.
Might be worth giving it a try, though. Image

A DSLR would also need a shotgun or boom mic and other cables to connect it to the laptop. Plus a battery pack and some lighting kit.

[spoiler=spoiler]Shotgun mic:

Lighting kit:
[/spoiler]
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

Duct tape your phone to your forehead.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Jam wrote:Duct tape your phone to your forehead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_SwD7RveNE

Edited to add something pertaining to the topic so that I don't get yelled at for posting drivel.

@QueenOfdestiny Please do some live cooking streams! Could you mount a camera on the drawer thing where your spices are? I think that would provide a good angle. It would kinda limit your space in there, but I think it could be done.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

I've actually done it.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Basement endorses d3400
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

kami_ryu wrote:what's wrong with amazon?

Nuffin.