Taxing wealthy vs economic growth

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Re: Taxing wealthy vs economic growth

Post by spanky4ever »

Two interpretations of survival of the fittest:
1. the question here (as I see it) is whether humans who are wealthy, and have a sense that they are more worth than other ppl. should have the "right" to privileges to buy a place in College/Uni and good grades, AND that they can buy politicians to support them to get even more rich and powerful - just because they are "hardworking" (not true, cos most wealth are actually interested), and that poor ppl are lazy, and not worthy of the same chances in life. This is what I can draw from Social Darwinism. It's like a caricature of Darwins "survival of the fittest" theory.

2.vs Bowlby Attachment theory, who heavily builds on Darwin survival of the fittest theory;
Humans survived as a species because they took care of their offspring (popularly called "love), AND the social group, with a mutual bond,". Humans have little physical strength, are pretty slow vs other predators, do not have not very good developed senses like smell, vision, hearing. In short, humans, left on their own, would not have survived as a species if it were not for their ability to cooperate in groups to kill their prey and share it with the group.

You might say this was a long time ago when we were dependent on the group in this way. Yeah, that is maybe true, but we still are more or less, the same biological humans that walked on the African open places, to hunt for the daily living, as a group.
I would say, we are still the species that are depending on our parents to provide the safe havens, and a society that will give us a fair shot to develop our skills. It takes a village :?:

https://youtu.be/9n900e80R30 Fast forward to WW2

what do you think, I def support no 2 :!:
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

umeu wrote:What is there to address? You merely raised a few questions. Then you proceeded to project your fantasy of other people's opinions upon everyone you suspect to have a different opinion than yours. Just as you do in the above. Who are these leftists whom all have the same opinion? Does everyone on the left believe equality is egality? Or does everyone who confuses egality and equality a leftist? It's just a bunch of hogwash which does nothing but perpetuate polemics.

I gave an example of a dilemma, but you chose to deflect the discussion to some abstract equality/egality distinction:
Dolan wrote:Let's assume that you magically establish equal starting positions for everyone. What do you do if they all perform unequally and their children inherit unequal starting positions? Do you nationalise their property? Do you tax them to death because they dared to perform better from an economic point of view? They might decide they'd rather split with this species than receive such an unequal treatment, in the name of equality. They might think they deserve more because they performed better.

At least Goodspeed replied to the arguments. Look, it's better to discuss concrete examples. Debating abstract situations leads to nothing but tail-chasing verbiage.
There's no such thing as a self-made anything, but besides that, this isn't even true for a great many countries, in mainland Europe more so than the USA and UK, where everyone basically has access to the same level of education as long as they show aptitude for it. I went to high school with children whose parents were millionaires, for example, and I went to the same university as some of those as well. In any case, equal opportunity is a spectrum, not an absolute. You can have more or less equality. Just because you can't achieve a perfect state, doesn't mean you shouldn't try to create a better one. Which is basically what you're saying.

How was Steve Jobs' success based on anything funded by the state? He dropped out of college, he lived in squalid conditions for a few years. He was adopted by a blue-collar family. Despite his rather poor background, he managed to build a multibillion empire through entrepreneurial spirit alone. I'm no big fan of this guy, I dislike him to no end, but his story does prove a point, that at least in the USA you could make it big through sheer dogged persistence and by building your own market niche.
I'm not sure this even matters. There are plenty of people who managed to rise above their condition without benefiting from any special education or help. Sure, that's not the case for most people who account for statistical averages. In most cases, people just tend to just reinforce the financial standing of their background/parents, by the sheer power of social inertia. Is this fair? I don't know, it's just part of life, different people are born to different backgrounds and that is likely to lead to similarly different backgrounds. However, as long as the opportunity to rise above your background is there, it's all fine. And it is there. Firms are not going to deny you a chance at a better job if you show aptitude for it. They'd be crazy to do that. That doesn't mean they owe it to you either, since their ability to employ is conditioned by the general state of the economy.
I didn't say that it debunked that evolution applies to human society. Merely that society is organized or works according to the evolutionary principle of survival of the fittest, as social stratification often has very little to do with the individual person, but rather is the result of the class, group or family one is born into. Wealthy parents bribing their children into elite schools without those children having the qualification to enter is such an example.

I think this concept of "class" is really dubious. It makes it seem like there's some kind of a common spirit or solidarity between individuals who just happen to have similar income levels. Which is not really or always the case. They often perceive each other as competitors. I can't think of any particular "class" that acts as a class. Sure there are interest groups which tend to gravitate around common interests and you're likely to see some common socio-economic characteristics there too, but it's a far cry from calling that a self-aware, self-organised class. It's an obsolete, old Marxist concept that doesn't have much relevance today, I think. People congregate around very different things today, which go beyond simple financial background. Political beliefs, for example. Not all people who share a right-wing outlook on life are rich or part of the so-called middle class. Sometimes it's just a question of adhering to similar values, which go beyond simple socio-economic givens.
If wealthy parents are trying to fraudulently secure access to schools for their offspring, it's just an ordinary crime that should be routinely punished. As we've just recently seen with the Hollywood clowns who tried to pad their offspring's CVs with reputable credentials.

I never said that it was the same, or that primates had "equal" as opposed hierarchical societies, merely that you can observe fundamental "ideas" about fairness even in primates, and those ideas can be explained to be at the root of the more elaborate social constructions that humans have built over time. The same is true of many other expressions of culture which can be found in humans in a more elaborate form, but can also be found in primates in a more simplified form. You can read De Waal, among others, if you want to read more about the theory-of-mind among primates.

Yes, I am familiar with De Waal's work as well as with the work of tens of other researchers on theory-of-mind abilities. Not sure what to make of this argument. The leap from other primates' rudimentary ToM abilities to those of humans is so large, that we're basically talking of something like the difference between a kite and an Airbus 380. Or between a stone cleaver and stereotactic surgery tools. Humans have a unique capacity for feeling and expressing very subtle gradations of emotional states, which no other species on this planet can. We really don't have any term of comparison. Ours is a very mind-boggling species.
I'm saying that a social system which tries to incorporate equality of opportunity would definitely have flaws and wouldn't be perfect, just like any other social system humanity has ever come up with, and most likely any system we'll ever come up with in the future.

That doesn't mean it would justify arbitrary efforts at equalising outcomes either, like it happens right now in some countries where priority is given to particular classes of individuals, regardless of their merits.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Goodspeed wrote:
Dolan wrote:Equal opportunity is just as possible as any other utopia.
As long as there is any kind of inequality (genetic, financial, environmental), equal opportunity is nothing but a heuristic fiction (or what Kant called "regulative ideas", for readers of philosophy).

Yes it's an ideal more than a realistic goal but so what? As long as we can realistically improve it, we should. And in a lot of places we're not even trying. For example the state of public education in the USA, literally the wealthiest country in the world, is shameful.

One example of a relatively easy way to improve it is to have education (largely) state-funded. In the Netherlands, and I would imagine other places as well, all bachelor programs are the same price regardless of which university you go to. And anyone can borrow money from the government to enroll and cover living expenses. But you can't get in if your (high school) grades aren't up to par.

In the age of the internet, I'm not sure that the "quality" of education even matters anymore. Anyone can learn almost anything for free or for a small price. Big firms are starting to drop degrees from their list of requirements (https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/16/15-comp ... egree.html).
In the USA, the old system of paper credentials still works to a large extent because everything is a business in the USA. Everything is a money-making scheme and since education is a foundational factor for someone's life chances, of course lots of people still fall for these marketing tricks. Again, plenty of people who have made it big even in the USA without having an Ivy League piece of paper. Sure, most of the time they're statistical outliers, guaranteed path to success via not getting a degree is not yet the new normal. There are plenty of non-outliers who simply got a degree from a public school and managed to secure a reasonably successful situation for themselves, though. It's just that they're not going to impress any big "quant" firms on Wall Street with just that. To a large extent a high-sounding diploma still opens more doors than a community college and it's not always for unjustified reasons. Ivy League unis do on average attract the best of the best, via scholarships. It's not just monied offspring that manage to get there, through sheer unequal opportunities.

a. You never know when it's time to stop; how do you even decide when you should stop pursuing equal opportunity policies? Is there an end-state that is considered to be optimal or acceptable for equal opportunity, beyond which you're distorting the balance and creating new kinds of inequality?
I don't think you stop as long as there are realistic ways to improve the situation. Obviously there's always downsides to every policy you introduce as well, so it's a matter of weighing them up to the upsides like most things in policy making. First goal should be to get to a place where children born into wealth are attending the same schools as the rest. This is actually the case here, so it's not an unrealistic ideal.

In a free market system, that's not likely to happen, though. People of different backgrounds will try to get ahead in the socio-economic rat race by any means, including by trying to differentiate each other through the kind of schools they send their kids to.

b. Let's assume that you magically establish equal starting positions for everyone. What do you do if they all perform unequally and their children inherit unequal starting positions? Do you nationalise their property? Do you tax them to death because they dared to perform better from an economic point of view? They might decide they'd rather split with this species than receive such an unequal treatment, in the name of equality. They might think they deserve more because they performed better.
Equal opportunity is not about equal starting positions. You may have misunderstood the term. Equal opportunity means you have the same opportunities for education and jobs regardless of your starting position.

I haven't really misunderstood the concept, but in real life we see efforts at equalising opportunities in a way that has nothing to do with meritocracy. Google for example is being forced by US authorities to hire certain minorities simply because they need to reflect a certain statistical proportion. As if a company's staff needs to be a representative sample of the general population. I think that's a perversion of any meaningful concept of equal opportunity (in its meritocratic sense).

People need to stop getting high on this communist LSD bullshit. Equalising nature is like trying to kill what makes it work, in the first place.

No one's trying to equalize humans. That's not possible. Equal opportunity is about making sure that all people with good ability get a chance to apply it, and people with bad ability don't get more opportunities just because they are rich. It's not in any way about desegregating people, it just wants to segregate them not based on financial means but based on merit.

I agree on this point, though that's not what it's really happening right now, is it. In the name of equal opportunity, what is being pursued right now is some kind of forced promotion of minorities in the name of equal opportunity, which is completely anti-meritocratic.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Dolan wrote:At least Goodspeed replied to the arguments. Look, it's better to discuss concrete examples. Debating abstract situations leads to nothing but tail-chasing verbiage.

I don't see how there can be anything to discuss if you can't even get your definitions right. And your excuse for getting them wrong is because others do it too. Yet, you don't even bother to inform whether the people you are talking to, hold the ideas which you assume they have.

How was Steve Jobs' success based on anything funded by the state?

You seem to misunderstand, who is talking about the state?

He dropped out of college, he lived in squalid conditions for a few years. He was adopted by a blue-collar family. Despite his rather poor background, he managed to build a multibillion empire through entrepreneurial spirit alone.
I very much doubt it. I know how you like to buy in to this "no one ever handed me anything on a platter" narrative, but it's one which just doesn't correspond with reality. Ever. Personal drive matter, sure, but they're only part of the picture. If that's the single story you tell, over and over again, people might mistake it for the truth. But it's like any stereotype, not necessarily untrue, but necessarily incomplete.

I'm not sure this even matters. There are plenty of people who managed to rise above their condition without benefiting from any special education or help. Sure, that's not the case for most people who account for statistical averages. In most cases, people just tend to just reinforce the financial standing of their background/parents, by the sheer power of social inertia. Is this fair? I don't know, it's just part of life, different people are born to different backgrounds and that is likely to lead to similarly different backgrounds. However, as long as the opportunity to rise above your background is there, it's all fine. And it is there.
Now we have come to the crux of the matter. Yes, it's a fact of life, but it's never just a fact. These facts have come to be in some way. Sure, it's easy to be fine with it if you're in a position where more of the same isn't all that bad. But what if you're not? That's what this is about. How can we help those, for whom more of the same isn't just fine.

Firms are not going to deny you a chance at a better job if you show aptitude for it. They'd be crazy to do that.
They'd indeed be crazy to do that, from a purely rational economical perspective. But guess what, people aren't robots. And people hold irrational beliefs, and make irrational decisions. It's also a fact of life that people are denied a chance at a better job, despite, or sometimes even because, of showing an aptitude and desire for it. There are countless examples of this, both in the past and the present, and there will undoubtedly be many more to come in the future. And I'm sure you can understand, that if you're the one denied opportunity for whatever reason, which has nothing to do with your aptitude, then you will not just be ok with it.

I think this concept of "class" is really dubious. It makes it seem like there's some kind of a common spirit or solidarity between individuals who just happen to have similar income levels. Which is not really or always the case.
Yet, the concept of race isn't dubious to you? Any common spirit or solidarity between individuals who just happen to have the same color of skin? Sounds crazy, doesn't it? Yet, it's what some people believe.

They often perceive each other as competitors. I can't think of any particular "class" that acts as a class. Sure there are interest groups which tend to gravitate around common interests and you're likely to see some common socio-economic characteristics there too, but it's a far cry from calling that a self-aware, self-organised class. It's an obsolete, old Marxist concept that doesn't have much relevance today, I think.
You probably have a point, the old definition of class is definitely outdated. Nonetheless, I don't think it can be completely discarded. But it should be used carefully. In any case, the exact definition here was not particularly relevant for what I said. You have already admitted my point earlier, which is that people are often trapped in the background they came from, not due to any particular failure or success of their own.

If wealthy parents are trying to fraudulently secure access to schools for their offspring, it's just an ordinary crime that should be routinely punished. As we've just recently seen with the Hollywood clowns who tried to pad their offspring's CVs with reputable credentials.

It should be, but the point is that they aren't. Whereas when a poor, black woman did something similar, yet far less fraudulent, she was sent to jail. The order of the adjectives and nouns, most likely the order of her crimes. In America, the biggest crime is still being poor.

Yes, I am familiar with De Waal's work as well as with the work of tens of other researchers on theory-of-mind abilities. Not sure what to make of this argument. The leap from other primates' rudimentary ToM abilities to those of humans is so large, that we're basically talking of something like the difference between a kite and an Airbus 380. Or between a stone cleaver and stereotactic surgery tools. Humans have a unique capacity for feeling and expressing very subtle gradations of emotional states, which no other species on this planet can. We really don't have any term of comparison. Ours is a very mind-boggling species.

Sure, I doubt any of them, or I, denies that. Yet, you can surely trace back how the Airbus 380 originates in designs of earlier planes, and how these earlier planes again have their designs originated in earlier planes, until at some point, you arrive at the kite. Perhaps if there never had been a kite, we never wouldve had an airbus. I think that seems like quite a reasonable statement. Of course it's ridiculous to compare an airbus to a kite, yet you can't just ignore the relation.

That doesn't mean it would justify arbitrary efforts at equalising outcomes either, like it happens right now in some countries where priority is given to particular classes of individuals, regardless of their merits.
You will have to be more specific.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

umeu wrote:
How was Steve Jobs' success based on anything funded by the state?

You seem to misunderstand, who is talking about the state?

I rephrase. Was Jobs' or any self-made man/woman's success based on any degree of privilege? It's not just Jobs, most of the super-rich came from either poor or middle class at best backgrounds. If riches beget riches, how did the likes of Jobs, Buffet, Bezos, Gates, Dell get there?
He dropped out of college, he lived in squalid conditions for a few years. He was adopted by a blue-collar family. Despite his rather poor background, he managed to build a multibillion empire through entrepreneurial spirit alone.
I very much doubt it. I know how you like to buy in to this "no one ever handed me anything on a platter" narrative, but it's one which just doesn't correspond with reality. Ever. Personal drive matter, sure, but they're only part of the picture. If that's the single story you tell, over and over again, people might mistake it for the truth. But it's like any stereotype, not necessarily untrue, but necessarily incomplete.

Dell was washing dishes in a Chinese restaurant at age 12 to save money for his stamp collection. Hardly a privileged background. At age 19, after one year with his first business, he made $6 million in sales.
DeJoria used to be a janitor and door-to-door salesman. He started his first cosmetics firm with a $700 loan and grew that business into a $1 billion revenue firm.
Jim Ratcliffe used to live in a council home in the UK, those houses in which the poorest people in the UK live, since they cannot afford anything else. Now he has an estimated worth of $32 billion.
Outliers? Sure, just like in any category of performance, those at the top might always be mere statistical outliers. But they're just the tip of a normal distribution, which extends into tens of thousands of self-made millionaires that weren't born to privilege. Again, this doesn't mean that those who were born to riches are not likely to continue to do very well financially, by coasting on their parents' performance. Though, it's not unusual for them to completely waste their parents' inheritance and end up in a much worse position than their parents used to be.
I'm not sure this even matters. There are plenty of people who managed to rise above their condition without benefiting from any special education or help. Sure, that's not the case for most people who account for statistical averages. In most cases, people just tend to just reinforce the financial standing of their background/parents, by the sheer power of social inertia. Is this fair? I don't know, it's just part of life, different people are born to different backgrounds and that is likely to lead to similarly different backgrounds. However, as long as the opportunity to rise above your background is there, it's all fine. And it is there.
Now we have come to the crux of the matter. Yes, it's a fact of life, but it's never just a fact. These facts have come to be in some way. Sure, it's easy to be fine with it if you're in a position where more of the same isn't all that bad. But what if you're not? That's what this is about. How can we help those, for whom more of the same isn't just fine.

Nobody is owed anything just because he's alive. There's no institution that owes you anything in terms of wealth. Depending on where on this planet you are born, it's likely that you will get some basic rights, but even those are quite variable, depending on cultural background. So where does this mentality of self-entitlement come from? Why should everyone have more similar levels of wealth? Levels of wealth should reflect someone's professional performance or social worth, the degree to which their contributions to society are valued or the magnitude of impact that their contributions provide. Not some utopian concept of self-entitlement.

Firms are not going to deny you a chance at a better job if you show aptitude for it. They'd be crazy to do that.
They'd indeed be crazy to do that, from a purely rational economical perspective. But guess what, people aren't robots. And people hold irrational beliefs, and make irrational decisions. It's also a fact of life that people are denied a chance at a better job, despite, or sometimes even because, of showing an aptitude and desire for it. There are countless examples of this, both in the past and the present, and there will undoubtedly be many more to come in the future. And I'm sure you can understand, that if you're the one denied opportunity for whatever reason, which has nothing to do with your aptitude, then you will not just be ok with it.

Absolutely, but then private firms have the right to make suboptimal choices. They end up becoming less competitive if they do so. And public institutions may also occasionally do that, to their detriment. When you have a suboptimal allocation of human resources, as a society, you end up paying a price eventually.
I have a theory that such failures to identify and harness people's optimal potential can eventually lead to war.
I think this concept of "class" is really dubious. It makes it seem like there's some kind of a common spirit or solidarity between individuals who just happen to have similar income levels. Which is not really or always the case.
Yet, the concept of race isn't dubious to you? Any common spirit or solidarity between individuals who just happen to have the same color of skin? Sounds crazy, doesn't it? Yet, it's what some people believe.

The concept of race is something much broader than that of class. It's so broad that you can rarely see such spirit of solidarity as you mention. For example, Uralic populations would be classified as Caucasian, but they actually represent a transitional population between proper Eastern Asians (like Mongols, Chinese, Japanese) and European Caucasians. Throughout history most ethnic groups have developed some way of defining strangers based on whether they belonged to their group or not. The Japanese still use "gaijin" to define foreigners, even when those foreigners belong to the same Asian population. I'm not aware of any such race solidarity among Asians, even though they definitely use the race category even in their scientific studies. Chinese anthropology, for example, uses the race concept quite often in their studies. Westerners are not used to this, because Western culture is infused with certain ideas on multiculturalism, but a great deal of non-Western cultural areas still use some sort of race concept, that is used to differentiate between themselves and outsiders. It's a native form of cultural mutual identification that has been used since times immemorial to preserve the social cohesion of their ethnic groups. And it's probably also based on mutual identification of physical similarity, which is likely to be learned during the first years of life. That doesn't mean that there is a hard causation of race or that there is no biological basis whatsoever for perceived physical differences. Each culture has processed these perceived differences in its own way and has different ways of dealing with this concept.

The fundamental difference between class and race, though, is that, in the case of race, you have no choice over how you are perceived by a certain cultural/ethnic group. It doesn't matter how much Japanese I would learn and how many years I would live in Japan, they would always perceive me as a "gaijin". The concept of class, by contrast, allows for a lot more social mobility. So, if people from a similar ethnic background are removed from their native location and thrown into another cultural-ethnic space, it's very likely they will show a lot more solidarity with those they recognise to be of their own background than with other strangers. Whereas people who belong to similar levels of income/wealth may not necessarily identify anything in common, since having a shared cultural background trumps similar levels of wealth.

They often perceive each other as competitors. I can't think of any particular "class" that acts as a class. Sure there are interest groups which tend to gravitate around common interests and you're likely to see some common socio-economic characteristics there too, but it's a far cry from calling that a self-aware, self-organised class. It's an obsolete, old Marxist concept that doesn't have much relevance today, I think.
You probably have a point, the old definition of class is definitely outdated. Nonetheless, I don't think it can be completely discarded. But it should be used carefully. In any case, the exact definition here was not particularly relevant for what I said. You have already admitted my point earlier, which is that people are often trapped in the background they came from, not due to any particular failure or success of their own.

Oh, but that's not what I said. I described multiple paths that wealth can take. Some might rise to wealth through sheer willpower and entrepreneurial spirit. Others may simply coast on their parents' inherited position for a while, by virtue of pure social inertia. They might lack their parents' strong determination and motivation to achieve, but they might not be wasteful enough to completely spoil their inheritance yet. Their children, though, might deal that deadly blow to their family inheritance. And yet others, might continue to wallow in poverty, again, by virtue of pure social inertia, until one of them develops that feisty spirit which leads them to escape poverty (a Jim Ratcliffe case, if you will). There's no single type of trajectory, there are multiple types, animated by a great deal of factors (personal, environmental).
People who are "trapped" in their inherited social milieu are very often those who lack that inner motivation to transcend their condition.

It should be, but the point is that they aren't. Whereas when a poor, black woman did something similar, yet far less fraudulent, she was sent to jail. The order of the adjectives and nouns, most likely the order of her crimes. In America, the biggest crime is still being poor.

I'm not aware of the particular case you are quoting. The law should be the same for all, regardless of background. Yeah, I know, that's not really the case, because quality legal advice is expensive and it can make a world of a difference in the outcome of a trial. It's not a completely hopeless situation, though. There are talented lawyers who work on a pro bono basis too.
However, there are also examples of people from a very poor background who made it big, through their own efforts. Jay-Z grew up in a public housing project, brought up by a single mother of four, amidst the violence from Brooklyn's neighbourhoods. Now he's almost worth 1 billion US shekels.

Sure, I doubt any of them, or I, denies that. Yet, you can surely trace back how the Airbus 380 originates in designs of earlier planes, and how these earlier planes again have their designs originated in earlier planes, until at some point, you arrive at the kite. Perhaps if there never had been a kite, we never wouldve had an airbus. I think that seems like quite a reasonable statement. Of course it's ridiculous to compare an airbus to a kite, yet you can't just ignore the relation.

By the same token, we can trace philogenetic similarities with rodents and further down the evolutionary road, with amphibians. *shrug*
You will have to be more specific.

How is this meritocratic? https://www.wired.com/story/new-lawsuit ... diversity/
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

a lot of words, or word salads to try to justify that some ppl should be privileged, and others are left with taking out the trash.
you need millions of words to try to justify that, I get it ;)
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Dolan wrote:I rephrase. Was Jobs' or any self-made man/woman's success based on any degree of privilege? It's not just Jobs, most of the super-rich came from either poor or middle class at best backgrounds. If riches beget riches, how did the likes of Jobs, Buffet, Bezos, Gates, Dell get there?

The short answer is yes, 100%. To give a more exact answer as to what kind and how much of it exactly, one would have to dive into their respective more deeply, which i dont have the time or interest to do. Obviously it's not the only factor. There are more factors, luck including. And of course, hard work and a good idea, whether their own or stolen/borrowed from someone else.

Dell was washing dishes in a Chinese restaurant at age 12 to save money for his stamp collection. Hardly a privileged background. At age 19, after one year with his first business, he made $6 million in sales.

You seem to have a hard time grasping the concept of privileges.

Outliers? Sure, just like in any category of performance, those at the top might always be mere statistical outliers. But they're just the tip of a normal distribution, which extends into tens of thousands of self-made millionaires that weren't born to privilege. Again, this doesn't mean that those who were born to riches are not likely to continue to do very well financially, by coasting on their parents' performance. Though, it's not unusual for them to completely waste their parents' inheritance and end up in a much worse position than their parents used to be.

Sure, they're probably statistical outliers. In the broad sense, exceptions, although clearly they're not unique. But if you focus only on their individual achievements, and not upon the societal and historical framework in which they take place, then you are ignoring a big part of the picture. Claiming they did it alone, and never had anything handed on a platter is just blatantly false. Just as it would be blatantly false to claim that the history communism doesn't still have an impact on romania today. It's not the entire picture, but it's part of the story nonetheless.

Nobody is owed anything just because he's alive. There's no institution that owes you anything in terms of wealth. Depending on where on this planet you are born, it's likely that you will get some basic rights, but even those are quite variable, depending on cultural background. So where does this mentality of self-entitlement come from? Why should everyone have more similar levels of wealth? Levels of wealth should reflect someone's professional performance or social worth, the degree to which their contributions to society are valued or the magnitude of impact that their contributions provide. Not some utopian concept of self-entitlement.
That's your opinion. Many people disagree, although they don't formulate their ideas such, and in the end, they mean something a bit different then how you put it here, I can see how you, in the way that you always misrepresent and disrespect ideas you disagree with, would word it in this way. I have no care to change your mind. So you can carry on believing what you wish.

Absolutely, but then private firms have the right to make suboptimal choices. They end up becoming less competitive if they do so. And public institutions may also occasionally do that, to their detriment. When you have a suboptimal allocation of human resources, as a society, you end up paying a price eventually.

Actually they dont have that right. Discrimination is illegal in most countries.

The concept of race is something much broader than that of class.
It's not necessarily broader, it's just much more poorly defined. It's vaguer.

Oh, but that's not what I said. I described multiple paths that wealth can take.

It's what you said, though. Not all people, hence I said often.

There's no single type of trajectory, there are multiple types, animated by a great deal of factors (personal, environmental).

Indeed, a great deal of factors, yet you try to paint it as if it's all solely by some magic fire burning inside of certain people only. Without any regard for why the fire went out in others, or why it was never kindled in the first place. That shows a very one-dimensional understanding of the world.

People who are "trapped" in their inherited social milieu are very often those who lack that inner motivation to transcend their condition.

I disagree. In fact I'm sure they very often don't lack it, not at the start anyway.

I'm not aware of the particular case you are quoting. The law should be the same for all, regardless of background. Yeah, I know, that's not really the case, because quality legal advice is expensive and it can make a world of a difference in the outcome of a trial. It's not a completely hopeless situation, though. There are talented lawyers who work on a pro bono basis too.
Yeah, but it's not just about legal advice, is it. It's also about a legal system, which in effect, though not on paper is rigged against certain people. Consider the judge in the USA who was sent to prison because he "sold" people into the prison industrial complex by giving them (heavier) sentences than their crimes warranted. No amount of legal advice will help against that. No amount of intrinsic motivation to overcome your situation will help against that. And it's not, unlike your rag to riches story, some sort of outlier or exception.

However, there are also examples of people from a very poor background who made it big, through their own efforts. Jay-Z grew up in a public housing project, brought up by a single mother of four, amidst the violence from Brooklyn's neighbourhoods. Now he's almost worth 1 billion US shekels.
No one ever makes it big only through their own efforts. No one ever does anything alone. Nonetheless, sure it's a story unlikely as inspiring. Literally one out of millions. Had he tried it 50 years earlier, he would've probably ended somewhere else.

By the same token, we can trace philogenetic similarities with rodents and further down the evolutionary road, with amphibians. *shrug*

your point being?

[/quote] I'm surprised this bothers you, I thought according to you firms should have the right to make "suboptimal choices". I'm not a fan of quotas and such, I doubt anyone really is. But it's a much more nuanced debate than what you're representing here. I'm not sure if it is, but it might be that they are a necessary evil required to more quickly restore some semblance of balance which has been distorted by centuries of excluding certain people from the workforce and other parts of society, and therefore depriving them of the economic capital and everything related to it (access to education, healthcare, legal representation, etc).
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

iwillspankyou wrote:a lot of words, or word salads to try to justify that some ppl should be privileged, and others are left with taking out the trash.
you need millions of words to try to justify that, I get it ;)

Hurrrrr, the rich are evil, gommunism nao!

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Passion rules
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
Dolan wrote:Equal opportunity is just as possible as any other utopia.
As long as there is any kind of inequality (genetic, financial, environmental), equal opportunity is nothing but a heuristic fiction (or what Kant called "regulative ideas", for readers of philosophy).

Yes it's an ideal more than a realistic goal but so what? As long as we can realistically improve it, we should. And in a lot of places we're not even trying. For example the state of public education in the USA, literally the wealthiest country in the world, is shameful.

One example of a relatively easy way to improve it is to have education (largely) state-funded. In the Netherlands, and I would imagine other places as well, all bachelor programs are the same price regardless of which university you go to. And anyone can borrow money from the government to enroll and cover living expenses. But you can't get in if your (high school) grades aren't up to par.
In the age of the internet, I'm not sure that the "quality" of education even matters anymore. Anyone can learn almost anything for free or for a small price.
You're expecting children aged 4 to 18 to be setting a solid base for whatever higher education they pursue? You expect them to learn maths on their own?

I guess I can safely assume you're only talking about higher education, but the argument is not limited to that and I'm not sure why you would think it is. In fact I would argue that most room for improvement when it comes to quality is in elementary, middle and high schools. Higher education just needs to be cheaper.
In the USA, the old system of paper credentials still works to a large extent because everything is a business in the USA. Everything is a money-making scheme and since education is a foundational factor for someone's life chances, of course lots of people still fall for these marketing tricks. Again, plenty of people who have made it big even in the USA without having an Ivy League piece of paper. Sure, most of the time they're statistical outliers, guaranteed path to success via not getting a degree is not yet the new normal. There are plenty of non-outliers who simply got a degree from a public school and managed to secure a reasonably successful situation for themselves, though. It's just that they're not going to impress any big "quant" firms on Wall Street with just that. To a large extent a high-sounding diploma still opens more doors than a community college and it's not always for unjustified reasons. Ivy League unis do on average attract the best of the best, via scholarships. It's not just monied offspring that manage to get there, through sheer unequal opportunities.
I'm perfectly aware it's not only wealthy people that make it to good schools. I never said that. You have a tendency to read someone's argument as its most extreme version and then replying to that, rather than replying to the actual point which in this case was that people born into wealth have more opportunities than people born into poverty. No one said that people born into poverty don't have opportunities. I hope you see the difference, and feel free to retroactively reply if you're so inclined.

One thing I'll say is that the quality of someone's education from ages 4 to 18 is mostly what decides their opportunities for scholarships. I know what you're going to say and yes, a genius will still make it through no matter how much of a shit show their childhood education was, but what of your average, disinterested intelligent person who needs to be challenged intellectually from an early age? If they're a rich kid, they will be, and will make it to a good college regardless, but if they're poor they're stuck in a public school where the teachers are more concerned about keeping the school's scores up to par than they are about intellectually stimulating their students.
a. You never know when it's time to stop; how do you even decide when you should stop pursuing equal opportunity policies? Is there an end-state that is considered to be optimal or acceptable for equal opportunity, beyond which you're distorting the balance and creating new kinds of inequality?
I don't think you stop as long as there are realistic ways to improve the situation. Obviously there's always downsides to every policy you introduce as well, so it's a matter of weighing them up to the upsides like most things in policy making. First goal should be to get to a place where children born into wealth are attending the same schools as the rest. This is actually the case here, so it's not an unrealistic ideal.

In a free market system, that's not likely to happen, though. People of different backgrounds will try to get ahead in the socio-economic rat race by any means, including by trying to differentiate each other through the kind of schools they send their kids to.
If your schools are held up to higher standards and funded properly, parents won't have to choose based on quality. To an extent this is the case here. The choice of primary school is often simply "the nearest one", and the high school is chosen by the kid, often primarily based on atmosphere and a first impression. There is not nearly as much difference in quality between schools as in the US, where in a lot of places if you send your kid to a public school you know they're going to receive a much worse education than in a private school.
I haven't really misunderstood the concept, but in real life we see efforts at equalising opportunities in a way that has nothing to do with meritocracy. Google for example is being forced by US authorities to hire certain minorities simply because they need to reflect a certain statistical proportion. As if a company's staff needs to be a representative sample of the general population. I think that's a perversion of any meaningful concept of equal opportunity (in its meritocratic sense).
I'm not interested in discussing existing, bad policies. Obviously, the fact that it's a mess right now doesn't mean we should give up on it.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

umeu wrote:
Dolan wrote:I rephrase. Was Jobs' or any self-made man/woman's success based on any degree of privilege? It's not just Jobs, most of the super-rich came from either poor or middle class at best backgrounds. If riches beget riches, how did the likes of Jobs, Buffet, Bezos, Gates, Dell get there?

The short answer is yes, 100%. To give a more exact answer as to what kind and how much of it exactly, one would have to dive into their respective more deeply, which i dont have the time or interest to do. Obviously it's not the only factor. There are more factors, luck including. And of course, hard work and a good idea, whether their own or stolen/borrowed from someone else.

You are 100% sure of your answer but can't be bothered to prove it?
Lol.

You seem to have a hard time grasping the concept of privileges.

You seem to have a hard time dealing with real life, where simple blanket explanations such as "if someone succeeded in life, it must be because they were privileged" don't always apply.
Most of the rich in the USA are self-made, not inherited.
https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/2871- ... -rich.html
How you deal with this fact is pretty much up to your cognitive dissonance.

Sure, they're probably statistical outliers. In the broad sense, exceptions, although clearly they're not unique. But if you focus only on their individual achievements, and not upon the societal and historical framework in which they take place, then you are ignoring a big part of the picture. Claiming they did it alone, and never had anything handed on a platter is just blatantly false. Just as it would be blatantly false to claim that the history communism doesn't still have an impact on romania today. It's not the entire picture, but it's part of the story nonetheless.

And what is that framework that made Steve Jobs rich? The free Hare Krishna meals he was getting because he was too poor? The fact that he was living in a college dorm, sleeping on the floor? How far do we have to dig with a sociological study for you people to accept that the world does not work according to your dogmatic, ideological presuppositions?
But no, it must be because they were privilged... "Santa" Marx said so and that Guardian article confirmed it, so that's how it is.
That's your opinion. Many people disagree, although they don't formulate their ideas such, and in the end, they mean something a bit different then how you put it here, I can see how you, in the way that you always misrepresent and disrespect ideas you disagree with, would word it in this way. I have no care to change your mind. So you can carry on believing what you wish.

How do I misrepresent what? I keep hearing this, but nobody is expressly demonstrating how this happens.
So how do you see someone's income level being decided if not by market forces? The economic worth of your work is the result of what someone else is willing to pay. Period. Do you want the state to intervene and force people to pay someone in particular more, because they're an expert in feminist intersectional medieval gender studies?

Actually they dont have that right. Discrimination is illegal in most countries.

No, I mean occasionally, firms may decide to hire someone in particular despite that person not being the best. They have their own HR policies. Some of the leftiest startups in the USA right now are hiring based on "cultural fit". So if you happen to give off even a slight whiff of not being a feminist, you're not a cultural fit and you don't get the job.

There's no single type of trajectory, there are multiple types, animated by a great deal of factors (personal, environmental).

Indeed, a great deal of factors, yet you try to paint it as if it's all solely by some magic fire burning inside of certain people only. Without any regard for why the fire went out in others, or why it was never kindled in the first place. That shows a very one-dimensional understanding of the world.

No, it's all solely based on privilege... Always privilege.
Wealth has always been something that has been handed down, since the dawn of this species. Warren Buffet is rich because he's the direct descendant of Marcus Licinius Crassus, most likely. That's how he got rich.

Yeah, but it's not just about legal advice, is it. It's also about a legal system, which in effect, though not on paper is rigged against certain people. Consider the judge in the USA who was sent to prison because he "sold" people into the prison industrial complex by giving them (heavier) sentences than their crimes warranted. No amount of legal advice will help against that. No amount of intrinsic motivation to overcome your situation will help against that. And it's not, unlike your rag to riches story, some sort of outlier or exception.

Does the USA have a rule of law problem? I wasn't aware of that. It's a big country and lots of things happen over there, but is this like a general phenomenon? Do you have some stats or some studies which show this to be a general phenomenon?

No one ever makes it big only through their own efforts. No one ever does anything alone. Nonetheless, sure it's a story unlikely as inspiring. Literally one out of millions. Had he tried it 50 years earlier, he would've probably ended somewhere else.

It's not only one story. For every Jay-Z out there, there are thousands of lesser known self-made millionaires. Remember, most millionaires in the USA are self-made. That's what statistics say. They're first-generation high net worth individuals.

your point being?

Point being that I don't see the relevance of bringing some rudimentary primate ability to cooperate in support of the idea that a sense of justice and equitability has forerunners in other species.

I'm surprised this bothers you, I thought according to you firms should have the right to make "suboptimal choices". I'm not a fan of quotas and such, I doubt anyone really is. But it's a much more nuanced debate than what you're representing here. I'm not sure if it is, but it might be that they are a necessary evil required to more quickly restore some semblance of balance which has been distorted by centuries of excluding certain people from the workforce and other parts of society, and therefore depriving them of the economic capital and everything related to it (access to education, healthcare, legal representation, etc).

It doesn't bother me, since I don't live there, but it's something relevant to this argument. And yeah, those firms have the right to hire whomever they want. Heck they could hire only short people, who cares. It's their business and if they can get their job done with them, nothing to comment on that. It's still interesting to notice that they are being pressured to hire their staff according to diversity quotas. There is a real pressure from local public authorities for them to do so.
So how does creating new injustices fix past injustices? And when is this going to stop, is there like a criterion for an end state?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Goodspeed wrote:
Dolan wrote:
Show hidden quotes
In the age of the internet, I'm not sure that the "quality" of education even matters anymore. Anyone can learn almost anything for free or for a small price.
You're expecting children aged 4 to 18 to be setting a solid base for whatever higher education they pursue? You expect them to learn maths on their own?

I guess I can safely assume you're only talking about higher education, but the argument is not limited to that and I'm not sure why you would think it is. In fact I would argue that most room for improvement when it comes to quality is in elementary, middle and high schools. Higher education just needs to be cheaper.

Not much to comment further on that. Yeah, sure, there should be a dependable public education system, but that won't preclude the free market from offering other choices too. People are free to pick whatever school they think is best for their kids.

I'm perfectly aware it's not only wealthy people that make it to good schools. I never said that. You have a tendency to read someone's argument as its most extreme version, and then replying to that, rather than replying to the actual point, which in this case was that people born into wealth have more opportunities than people born into poverty. No one said that people born into poverty don't have opportunities. I hope you see the difference, and feel free to retroactively reply if you're so inclined.

Yeah, so what, they have more opportunities, but having more opportunities does not make one more motivated or more intelligent. In fact, I'd argue to the contrary. Very often monied kids lose motivation to pursue studies or follow a too strict career path. Since they already are financially secure they just don't see the point of stressing over stuff that doesn't concern them much. Most of the time it's the poorer and more deprived individuals that are highly motivated to perform and reach a higher baseline. And they don't have a problem with not having any opportunities at all, that's the point. Maybe they don't have enough opportunities, because the state of the economy doesn't allow for that. But that's for another debate to be had.

One thing I'll say is that the quality of someone's education from ages 4 to 18 is mostly what decides their opportunities for scholarships. I know what you're going to say and yes, a genius will still make it through no matter how much of a shit show their childhood education was, but what of your average, disinterested intelligent person who needs to be challenged intellectually from an early age? If they're a rich kid, they will be, and will make it to a good college regardless, but if they're poor they're stuck in a public school where the teachers are more concerned about keeping the school's scores up to par than they are about intellectually stimulating their students.

In the end, a man's character is his fate. You won't turn someone into a highly motivated individual just because you taught them to be so. It's either they have that impulse or they don't. Some people are just born to be followers, simple as that. Some people are born to be complete time wasters, who can't focus on a bunch of goals and follow them eagerly. It's not the state or society's job to force them into becoming some idealised type of highly motivated, self-driven fireballs. Weren't you a self-avowed believer in hard determinism? Then everything is happening as it should.

Show hidden quotes

If your schools are held up to higher standards and funded properly, parents won't have to choose based on quality. To an extent this is the case here. The choice of primary school is often simply "the nearest one", and the high school is chosen by the kid, often primarily based on atmosphere and a first impression. There is not nearly as much difference in quality between schools as in the US, where in a lot of places if you send your kid to a public school you know they're going to receive a much worse education than in a private school.

Well, yeah, it's been already said in this topic that in the USA pretty much every kind of service is turned into a money-making scheme. As long as there's a free market and there are potential customers, that's how it's going to be. Plenty of private schools in Switzerland where the well off send their kids, even in Europe. Just because you don't hear about it or don't see it in your neighbourhood doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
But again, giving kids more expensive education doesn't really make that much of a difference, except in cases in which employers somehow value certain diplomas and credentials more than others. There is such a thing as a demoralising effect of wealth. Once you have it in the bag, you probably don't feel like fretting too much about getting a top job or having a career, when you can just invest.

I'm not interested in discussing existing, bad policies. Obviously, the fact that it's a mess right now doesn't mean we should give up on it.

Maybe, but we don't live in that theoretical world yet.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

https://youtu.be/AR7ryg1w_IQ

Came across this youtuber today, I'm so lucky, and wanted to share it with you ;)
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I am having an emotional response.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

@spanky4ever I absolutely adore her! Several months ago, I came across her incel video and was just really impressed. She is such a great person and truly cares about people. All of her videos are amazing and you're in for a treat. :love:
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:Yeah, sure, there should be a dependable public education system, but that won't preclude the free market from offering other choices too. People are free to pick whatever school they think is best for their kids.
True but if the quality is about the same there is much less incentive to pick the more expensive school, and also less business incentive to start a private school. Key here is funding public schools properly so they can hire good people (and more people, so that they can have smaller classes), and then holding them up to a higher standard.

What you could end up with is a choice between a public school that is free, and a private school that costs 10-20k euros per year, with barely a difference in quality. You'll see even the richest parents choosing to send their kids to a public school then, even if only to expose them to regular society. I've met kids with rich parents at school who were sent there for that reason. It makes a big difference if they don't have to worry about their kids getting a poor education.
Yeah, so what, they have more opportunities, but having more opportunities does not make one more motivated or more intelligent. In fact, I'd argue to the contrary. Very often monied kids lose motivation to pursue studies or follow a too strict career path. Since they already are financially secure they just don't see the point of stressing over stuff that doesn't concern them much. Most of the time it's the poorer and more deprived individuals that are highly motivated to perform and reach a higher baseline. And they don't have a problem with not having any opportunities at all, that's the point. Maybe they don't have enough opportunities, because the state of the economy doesn't allow for that. But that's for another debate to be had.
Whether someone is motivated or intelligent isn't the question here. The point is that if they are, or have the potential to be, they should be challenged and should have the opportunity to apply themselves.
In the end, a man's character is his fate. You won't turn someone into a highly motivated individual just because you taught them to be so. It's either they have that impulse or they don't. Some people are just born to be followers, simple as that. Some people are born to be complete time wasters, who can't focus on a bunch of goals and follow them eagerly. It's not the state or society's job to force them into becoming some idealised type of highly motivated, self-driven fireballs.
Imo it is very much the job of educators to challenge students intellectually. This is not only good for the student, it's also great for society. So even if it isn't the state's job, they have incentive to do it regardless.

Kids should be given challenges that fit their skill level. If your kid is good at chess, you're not going to be having them play against bad opponents all day. That's going to make them lose motivation. Advanced classes are a good example of a way to challenge students intellectually, but there are often not enough teachers to effectively implement this. Again, funding is everything.
Weren't you a self-avowed believer in hard determinism? Then everything is happening as it should.
So, what, you're saying anyone can just go off on a killing spree and afterwards say "well that was always going to happen, what was I to do about it?". Determinism doesn't absolve us of responsibility. As individuals we are still responsible for our actions, and so we are as a society. If we can do better as a society, we should pursue that.
Well, yeah, it's been already said in this topic that in the USA pretty much every kind of service is turned into a money-making scheme. As long as there's a free market and there are potential customers, that's how it's going to be. Plenty of private schools in Switzerland where the well off send their kids, even in Europe. Just because you don't hear about it or don't see it in your neighbourhood doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
I'm aware it exists. We have about 100 private (non-government funded) primary/high schools in this country, and they are wildly expensive. But for a country of 17 million people that's not a lot. It should be less, still, but public education hasn't been receiving the attention/funding it needs. Teachers are still underpaid.
But again, giving kids more expensive education doesn't really make that much of a difference, except in cases in which employers somehow value certain diplomas and credentials more than others. There is such a thing as a demoralising effect of wealth. Once you have it in the bag, you probably don't feel like fretting too much about getting a top job or having a career, when you can just invest.
It can make a big difference depending on where you are. The difference isn't in the piece of paper you get at the end, but in the quality of education. On average, you (the student) come out of a private school better at whatever it is you studied, and probably better at learning in general. What you do with that is not relevant here, the point is that you had the opportunity to get a superior education where poor kids did not.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Tbh, this "gap between rich and poor" in the USA (and elsewhere) is caused by poorer people having way more kids than they can afford.

And since having kids in the USA is already very expensive, since services like education are more expensive than elsewhere, they get stuck at a certain level of income and can hardly escape it, unless one of them shows extraordinary grit and determination to succeed despite their background. Which doesn't happen too often, of course. So they literally doom their own kids to a life of fewer opportunities, just because they choose to have so many of them.

So "the people" are not so innocent either. Truth is most people are stupid and make stupid decisions. And I don't see why the nanny-state should wet-nurse adults on the type of life choices they make. Especially when it comes to making such life-altering decisions as having kids.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Dolan wrote:Tbh, this "gap between rich and poor" in the USA is caused by poorer people having way more kids than they can afford.
And since having kids in the USA is already very expensive, since services like education are more expensive than elsewhere, they get stuck at a certain level of income and can hardly escape it, unless one of them shows extraordinary grit and determination to succeed despite their background. Which doesn't happen too often, of course.

So "the people" are not so innocent either. Truth is most people are stupid and make stupid decisions. And I don't see why the nanny-state should wet-nurse adults on the type of life choices they make. Especially when it comes to making such life-altering decisions as having kids.

that must be about the worst explanation thus far :lol:

As U.S. fertility rates collapse, finger-pointing and blame follow
New data confirms historic declines across all races, in both urban and rural areas.

Women are now having fewer babies and at older ages than in the past three decades. (iStock)
By Ariana Eunjung Cha October 19, 2018
As 2017 drew to a close, House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) urged Americans to have more children. To keep the country great, he said, we’re “going to need more people.”

“I did my part,” the father of three declared.

Ryan’s remarks drew some eye rolls at the time, but as new data about the country’s collapsing fertility rates has emerged, concern has deepened over what’s causing the changes, whether it constitutes a crisis that will fundamentally change the demographic trajectory of the country — and what should be done about it.

Women are now having fewer babies and at older ages than in the past three decades, a change that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) reported this year, and which was confirmed this week with the release of additional data that shows that the trend holds across races and for urban and rural areas.

The CDC said Wednesday that the total fertility rate — a theoretical figure that estimates the number of births a woman will have in her lifetime — fell by 18 percent from 2007 to 2017 in large metropolitan areas, 16 percent in smaller metro areas and 12 percent in rural areas. A similar downward trend holds for white, black and Hispanic women.

From 2007 through 2017, total fertility rates declined for each urbanization level, but differences between rural and metro counties widened. (National Center for Health Statistics/From 2007 through 2017, total fertility rates declined for each urbanization level, but differences between rural and metro counties widened.)
Fertility and birthrates are among the most closely monitored indicators of a country’s economic health.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

And yet, it's true. You have a way too romanticised image of common people. Most of them are stupid as fuck.

That's why and how coca cola sells so much.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

@spanky4ever

Yeah fertility rates have declined, but they declined from a much higher spot. They're not complaining that they have negative growth, they are complaining that they want a lot more natural growth. So the USA population is still growing, but the rate of growth has been slowing down. And anyways, statistics for today will only matter many decades later. Right now those people who were born 10-20 years ago, during periods of higher growth, are still very much alive and going through education.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Dolan wrote:And yet, it's true. You have a way too romanticised image of common people. Most of them are stupid as fuck.

Republicans should welcome it then, and help the poor ppl who are doing what the US needs
House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) urged Americans to have more children. To keep the country great, he said, we’re “going to need more people.”
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

More cannon fodder for overseas wars. That's what Republicans probably think. I wouldn't know for sure though, since I don't live there and I'm neither a Democrat or a Republican.

Personally I don't believe in this mantra of "growth". You can improve everyone's lives even without perpetual demographic and economic growth.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:Tbh, this "gap between rich and poor" in the USA (and elsewhere) is caused by poorer people having way more kids than they can afford.
The high fertility rate among the poor is both an effect and a cause of poverty. You might call it a vicious cycle. But there are many other causes.
And yet, it's true. You have a way too romanticised image of common people. Most of them are stupid as fuck.

Most people are stupid as fuck, common or no. Case in point: a bunch of stupid people elected a stupid, rich person to the highest office in the world. But that's irrelevant. Instead of exploiting the poor, we should give them a better social security net and better opportunities for upward mobility.

Easy, isn't it, to blame the problems of the underprivileged on themselves?
"But all they need to do is just grow some brains, do well in school, and make money!"
Facepalm.
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

It's honestly not too hard to go from poor to upper-middle class, or even rich, if you're determined. It's sort of like homelessness, where most of them choose to be homeless, instead of trying to get back on their feet. (typically due to drugs or mental illness) The government provides a lot of support to poor people. My family was fairly modest. Most of our meals were cheap things, like ramen noodles, pasta, rice and beans, etc. We didn't take any vacations, and haven't even left the state since around 2002. We lived in a house that was too small, in a bad neighborhood. Still, I wasn't deprived much in terms of opportunity. The government foot the cost of my college education, and then some. I was getting job offers before I even had my associates.

The difficulties arise mainly in these three areas: capital, moving out, and what university you attend. Capital is what makes things happen. You need it to start a business. If you aren't starting a business, it can just sit and accrue money. If you run in to hard times, it provides a safety net. A young man isn't going to be able to start a business unless his father gives him some capital. Lower-income families make absolutely no attempt to save or invest. Moving out is also rather difficult. You need a hefty down payment, and a stable income. I typically don't put much stock in what university someone attends, but it can make a difference depending on the degree. A BA in Business administration from Stanford is going to be worth more than an MBA from Literally Who College. My aunt has a Juris Doctorate, yet the only job she could get was a bookkeeping one; Yalies don't need to worry about that. I studied something pretty solid, so I was mostly unphased when I decided not to apply to any of the expensive universities. Not every degree has that luxury though. If you did what I did while studying Poli Sci, you'd have ruined your damn life.

Changes I'd recommend are:

1) Have public schools teach more personal finance and instill a drive for financial prosperity. The biggest problem seems to be that people just don't give a damn. To this day I argue with my parents that things could have been much better if they were smarter with their money. They agreed! Still, they haven't changed their habits.

2) Protection against medical bankruptcy. Not much to say about this. I think it's the number one cause of bankruptcy. My family was actually rich before I was born, and medical bills were the reason they lost it.

3) Change the welfare and tax system to encourage children in middle and upper class households, and discourage it in lower class households.

4) Change marriage and divorce law. So many people think of marriage as a luxury, or even a burden. I would give stipends and loans to people on their first marriage. In addition, divorce should be changed to reflect the amount each partner earned during the relationship itself, when dividing assets. Alimony and child support should stop after five years.

5) Raise blue-collar wages. Mechanics, carpenters, and the like all make rather abysmal wages. I think it's around 30k a year. Part of the reason so many people insist on going to college is because you have a snowball's chance in hell of becoming wealthy on 30k a year. That's hardly even enough to live on, and god help you if you're a single income family. There are various ways to go about raising wages, so I won't get into that right now.

6) Inheritance. Exempt homeowners from property taxes on properties worth less than one million, if they agree to bequeath the property to an immediate relative. Don't tax inheritances on estates worth under one million, the deceased's domicile is not included in this appraisal.

PS: It's super easy to go from middle class to upper class. Just get into real estate. Even an idiot could become a millionaire in real estate.