Game of Thrones Season 8

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8

Post by deleted_user »

O yeah I forgot how much the idle archers took me out of my already barely present immersion when they did nothing for 10 minutes. This is the only episode I've fast forwarded multiple parts.

And then ahahahahaha did you see that piss poor zombie acting as those 37 year old extras "sacrificed" themselves into the CGI fire to form a body bridge? It's like they took the first take. Just some people casually lying down on each other bluntly protecting their old knees, not like death consumed nerveless undead.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

UpMySleeves wrote:
deleted_user wrote:The night king might be the worst (as in of poor quality) villain in television history.

Not sure he was a villain. Perhaps he was trying to save us from a bad final season by killing everyone.

At this point I`m too invested into the show, I just want to see how it all ends. This episode had some nice atmosphere but it kind of falls apart if I think too much on it. So I`ll just take it as mindless entertainment, I guess. :unsure:

I'm in the exact same boat; I think a lot of people are, which I why I'm so confident that D&D is cashing out, because they haven't the faintest idea what to do.
No Flag Superfly47
Musketeer
ESO: Superfly47

Post by Superfly47 »

Kawapasaka wrote:
What semantics? That's exactly what happened, and it was stupid. What a ridiculously anticlimactic episode. The White Walkers appeared at the end and did literally nothing. The Night King did literally nothing. The dragons fought for a bit and ultimately did nothing, was it even made clear if they died or not? And Bran also did absolutely nothing, his entire purpose was to sit under a tree and be a distraction apparently. 8 seasons hyping this up and not a single noteworthy death except maybe Theon, which was undermined horribly by the final ninja backstab seconds later.

Theon was a redemption death, so it doesn’t count. In previous season he captured Winterfell and tried to kill Bran. By having Theon die protecting Bran, he was being redeemed. Thinking of this brought back fond memories of early seasons when big twists happened constantly.

That twist would be like Daenerys turning on Jon after Cersei is defeated. If the show was being consistent a reckoning would have to occur between Daenerys and Jon, the Daenerys character would never allow Jon to take power from her. The show is going for a feel good ending, so this is not likely to happen.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Perhaps we all just need to learn to deal with disappointment. I wasn't fully satisfied by the new Avengers movie or Marina's new album, and I've learned to accept that I'll just never really enjoy anything new ever again.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

fightinfrenchman wrote:Perhaps we all just need to learn to deal with disappointment. I wasn't fully satisfied by the new Avengers movie or Marina's new album, and I've learned to accept that I'll just never really enjoy anything new ever again.

You're expecting to be surprised by mediocrity. Challenge the content not the consumer, well yes the consumer, to challenge the content.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

deleted_user wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:Perhaps we all just need to learn to deal with disappointment. I wasn't fully satisfied by the new Avengers movie or Marina's new album, and I've learned to accept that I'll just never really enjoy anything new ever again.

You're expecting to be surprised by mediocrity. Challenge the content not the consumer, well yes the consumer, to challenge the content.

What?
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
deleted_user wrote:

What?

You like basic shit.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

deleted_user wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

What?

You like basic shit.

You like copypastas bish
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
deleted_user wrote:
Show hidden quotes

You like basic shit.

You like copypastas bish
I like making, ever since I was a little boy.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Is this show like runescape
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Literally only the first five seasons of this show were good. Only reason we still watch it is because we’re invested in the characters and want to see what happens to them.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Nothing is safer than losing without a fight
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

UpMySleeves wrote:
deleted_user wrote:The night king might be the worst (as in of poor quality) villain in television history.

Not sure he was a villain. Perhaps he was trying to save us from a bad final season by killing everyone.

At this point I`m too invested into the show, I just want to see how it all ends. This episode had some nice atmosphere but it kind of falls apart if I think too much on it. So I`ll just take it as mindless entertainment, I guess. :unsure:

Thats the price of success... once it gets big they want to please everyone which means lowering the bar :/.

Its like the total war series. Or vikings. Awesome battle scenes, and then it gets popular and were back to hollywood ballet battles without helmets, shields, etc...
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

Superfly47 wrote:
Theon was a redemption death, so it doesn’t count. In previous season he captured Winterfell and tried to kill Bran. By having Theon die protecting Bran, he was being redeemed. Thinking of this brought back fond memories of early seasons when big twists happened constantly.

Well Theon has redeemed himself about 15 times already, but sure. My point wasn't that his death shouldn't have happened, just that the ending ruined it. Imagine in Lord of the Rings, when Boromir dies redeeming himself, but 30 seconds later when Aragorn is still hunched over his body the Hobbits teleported to Mordor and dropped the ring in Mount Doom and all the Uruk-Hai around them are swallowed by the Earth. Wouldn't exactly hold the same emotional weight.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Horsemen wrote:Literally only the first five seasons of this show were good. Only reason we still watch it is because we’re invested in the characters and want to see what happens to them.

And they were quite good, those five seasons.
United States of America tramiz
Crossbow

Post by tramiz »

Their battle tactics were really poor. Knowing fire was a great weapon, why did the defenders of the wall not have any burning oil to pour on the attackers? No logs, rocks to throw down on the walker "ladders"? The defenders really needed to have played some TW games before planning this defense.
I do not see Cersei as the main villain of the show. I read books, and Cersei is one of the most stupid characters there
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

burning oil was never really a thing, but other than that, yea, poor tactics. Like... why would you sacrifice your best units (dothraki and even more so, the unsullied) just to protect the "retreat" of some wildlings and northern peasants who have said themselves that they aren't soldiers. Imagine unsullied phalanx in the narrow hallways of the castle. The zombie "dead" would pile up so high that it would block the entry. Just so meh. And the worst part is, we even saw them make a "battle plan" and they were talking about having flanks etc, and then the battle starts and they just go kamikaze into the army of the dead. also what were they all doing after the lit the "trench"... it's like the zombies were chilling for 30 minutes before given the order to make a zombie bridge, and then everyone panicked and scrambled to their position on the wall. like were they afk because they thought they couldnt lose or something? XD really sgt level gameplay

https://www.wired.com/story/game-of-thr ... zuldEQDA4M
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Well the dothraki I understand cause the only way they know how to fight is charging on horseback, but yea everyone else Idk why they didn't just hold the castle
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

gibson wrote:Well the dothraki I understand cause the only way they know how to fight is charging on horseback, but yea everyone else Idk why they didn't just hold the castle

sure, but you can go hammer and anvil, the unsullied phalanx holds the line, and then when the army of the dead are trying to break the phalanx, the dothraki cavalry comes in from the flank with flaming swords. i mean, would still eventually lose cuz there were just so many zombies, but at least its a better plan.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

gibson wrote:Well the dothraki I understand cause the only way they know how to fight is charging on horseback, but yea everyone else Idk why they didn't just hold the castle

Just admit it was a bad episode
Italy Mosx
Dragoon
ESO: Mosx

Post by Mosx »

well the North have sandor clegane ,and arya stark that are special units ,so all what they need to do was wait for some mistake and side back the wall and kill the noob with blu eye and gg
op mechanics, op build order :export: :coin: :ugly: :uglylol: :maniac:

https://www.twitch.tv/mosxgr
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

If they could only fight on a horse, why didn't they use their mobility and speed in any way? They may have gotten a flank/surprise attack on the White Walkers while the wights were all storming Winterfell. It seems like there wasn't really a plan at all, they just relied on the Night King being stupid.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

deleted_user wrote:

I didn't think it was and by the only objective standard we have, whether or not most people enjoyed It, it was a great episode.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Why didn't they cover up the fans on their laptop to heat it up and slow the battle down
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

gibson wrote:
deleted_user wrote:

I didn't think it was and by the only objective standard we have, whether or not most people enjoyed It, it was a great episode.

many people enjoy mcdonalds too, doesn't make it a good burger.