Game of Thrones Season 8

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8

Post by rsy »

Kawapasaka wrote:
rsy wrote:idk how u guys didn't like the episode. arya droptricking the nightking is one of my new favorite scenes

You aren't disappointed even a little? You didn't expect something a bit more climactic after hearing "winter is coming" for 7 seasons and being convinced that the real threat was on its way and was about to make everything else look like a joke? Then it finally comes after years of anticipation and "the long night" turns out to be just a slightly delayed morning? :huh:
I wouldn't have minded so much even if it still ended with the same sneak backstab, so long as the army of the dead that's been hyped up for the entirety of the show actually did something impactful first instead of just conveniently de-powering Dany's faction but leaving all the main characters alive just to set up a somewhat believable fight with Cersei.

Yeah man I enjoyed it. Grab a couple beers next time u watch it I guess, might help u chill out more
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

These leaks :lol:
I won't spoil anything but it seems the showrunners are trying to piss off every segment of their audience by the final episode. I almost respect that.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

why the fuck is there a tormund/jamie/brienne love triangle what the FUCK D&D
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

deleted_user wrote:why the fuck is there a tormund/jamie/brienne love triangle what the FUCK D&D

Nerd
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

deleted_user wrote:why the fuck is there a tormund/jamie/brienne love triangle what the FUCK D&D

I cringed so hard
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

gibson wrote:

I cringed so hard

Congrats on graduating
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

Dragon death had the exact same problem with the sneak backstab last episode. Zero build-up, zero tension. Just comes out of nowhere because all the writers care about anymore is the element of surprise.
Also mad queen confirmed lol, this is hilarious. Is Varys finally coming back from being a background prop too?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I liked the dragon death. Kept you on your toes in an otherwise boring episode
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

This episode made no fucking sense in a bad way
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

I thought seasons 5 through 7 weren't much good but now they're starting to look like Shakespeare in contrast with this mess.
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

Worst part for me was the writers finally conveniently bringing back regions they've ignored for several seasons. The Stormlands lol, I don't think that's been addressed since season 2.
And "the new Prince of Dorne"?????? Who???? Where was he when those random female bastards staged a coup and were supposedly able to command all of Dorne's armies???? Remember guys, we just don't have time for this stuff, but we do have time to tack on a billion Missandei/Grey Worm fluff scenes and a Tormund/Jaime/Brienne love triangle!
Can't wait to see how they handle the Riverlands...
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

Who the fuck doesn't see a fleet coming towards you when you are thousands of feet above them riding a fucking dragon. I don't know who is more idiot here— Dany, Drogon, Rheagal or D&D.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

the genre is fantasy, bro, not logic.
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

Also just realised that the dragons suffered the exact same fate as the White Walkers. Hyped up for 8 seasons as a monstrous, unstoppable force and are killed... just like that.
Though I'm sure the last one will somehow dodge every single laser beam ballista bolt next episode and burn plenty.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

This show is turning into dexter for me. Absolutely greatness until the last season because the show writers have no clue how to appropriately settle the major plot points.
mad cuz bad
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

The scene of Dany with her Starbucks coffee cup at Winterfell just proves that she is a basic white bitch.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

fightinfrenchman wrote:I also don't like popular things, making me better than people who do. #gamersriseup

This but unironically
No Flag Superfly47
Musketeer
ESO: Superfly47

Post by Superfly47 »

They made Bronn an idiot, Tyrion and Jamie promising Highgarden on threat of death is not a promise Tyrion or anyone would keep. I doubt Danearys would give Bronn Highgarden even if Tyrion asked. Jamie was even worse, why would Bronn possibly think Jamie had any authority to grant him that.

The show makes a big deal of Jon’s Targarean heritage. It is actually a liability, no one cares if he has a bloodline right to the throne. The show constantly talks about how whoever is strongest takes the power and how the people don’t care about lineage. If there was a large Targarean presence who could switch from Danearys to Jon it would, but her army is unsullied who would die to protect her. Jon’s appeal is the northern army supports him, but if he claims to be Targarean, he is rejecting them and makes it more likely they will just go back home to the North. If they go he can’t keep power with no forces.

If Sansa’s goal is to become Queen of an independent North, this outcome might be ideal. Jon dies, which she needs, even if he somehow survives and flees North, he would be viewed as betraying the North. Civil war breaks out in the south for the Kingdom, which makes keeping North independent.

I do like that characters are vying for power after Cersei is defeated, instead of just handing power to Danaerys or have Jon and Danaerys get married with no suspense.
I don't know why Varys and Tyrion think Jon would make a good King. He's incredibly naive and a simpleton.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:I also don't like popular things, making me better than people who do. #gamersriseup

This but unironically

The way you phrased that sentence suggests otherwise.

Also, I like popular things before they become popular, making me better than both those who like popular things only after they're popular and people who dislike things because they're popular.

:uglylol:
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

Some more things I thought about with these last couple of episodes. The things we see and the things we are told are horribly mismatched. Supposedly, after the battle of Winterfell Dany only lost half of her forces? Where were they hiding? The last shots before the NK fell would have us believe that everyone is pretty much dead. The whole castle appeared completely overrun with a few main characters holding on for what seemed to be their final moments. The only explanation for this is that all her forces weren't at Winterfell, which also makes very little sense, especially seeing as Dragonstone appeared abandoned.

Then this episode... what happened with her fleet? Ignoring the comedy of those ballistas punching through ships like it's Pirates of the Caribbean, ignoring the fact the nobody considered that they might run into that enemy fleet that already wrecked their shit on 2 separate occasions, ignoring the fact that a fleet was able to conceal itself from bird's-eye-view until it was in effective firing range - Ignoring all that, how does Dany even have an army left? Her fleet was crushed, did everyone survive that and conveniently wash ashore on Dragonstone except Missandei? And how did Dany get from Dragonstone to the walls of King's Landing without a single boat? Did she carry her entire entourage by Dragonback? Even if they somehow got extra boats, why wouldn't Euron just sink them before they get to the mainland? What's happening with Dragonstone anyway, it's a vital strategic location, why does everyone seem to just abandon it? Why wouldn't Cersei seize it?

This has turned into a 2-location show. Everything in between and besides has no consequence or purpose and is lucky to receive a throw-away line to vaguely address it. There is no sense of scale, time or distance. Just a series of jarringly disjointed scenes. Bronn at Winterfell is a perfect illustration of all of this. He needs to be there, so he's there, who cares that he's practically a general in the enemy army? Dany needs to be outside the walls of King's Landing, so she's there, who cares how?

All that said, one thing I'm glad of is that they're running with some serious in-fighting within the former coalition of the living. This makes sense at the very least and I'll be interested to see how they conclude it.

And god damn, why is Jon such a dickhead to Ghost?
No Flag Superfly47
Musketeer

Post by Superfly47 »

Kawapasaka wrote:Worst part for me was the writers finally conveniently bringing back regions they've ignored for several seasons. The Stormlands lol, I don't think that's been addressed since season 2.
And "the new Prince of Dorne"?????? Who???? Where was he when those random female bastards staged a coup and were supposedly able to command all of Dorne's armies???? Remember guys, we just don't have time for this stuff, but we do have time to tack on a billion Missandei/Grey Worm fluff scenes and a Tormund/Jaime/Brienne love triangle!

At least they didn't show the Jamie/Brienne love triangle. Don't think I could have stomached that. What Danearys would actually be doing is going to other regions like Dorne and trying to get there army to support her. Her only hope would be to get others who hate Cersei, but weren't willing to fight the Army of the Dead to join together. Instead they just had her army re-appear.
Don't think you will hear anything about the Riverlands.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

last episode, Brianna was crying for her loved one, after making love for the first time. Our hero thus far, and the one we want to be a ruler, suddenly has these flaws, And then the real Hero surface. I mean, I will still watch it, but its starting to be kind of stupid.
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Superfly47 wrote:
Kawapasaka wrote:Worst part for me was the writers finally conveniently bringing back regions they've ignored for several seasons. The Stormlands lol, I don't think that's been addressed since season 2.

At least they didn't show the Jamie/Brienne love triangle. Don't think I could have stomached that. What Danearys would actually be doing is going to other regions like Dorne and trying to get there army to support her. Her only hope would be to get others who hate Cersei, but weren't willing to fight the Army of the Dead to join together. Instead they just had her army re-appear.

please explain this to me, cos I do not understand what you cannot stomach.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Kawapasaka wrote:Some more things I thought about with these last couple of episodes. The things we see and the things we are told are horribly mismatched. Supposedly, after the battle of Winterfell Dany only lost half of her forces? Where were they hiding? The last shots before the NK fell would have us believe that everyone is pretty much dead. The whole castle appeared completely overrun with a few main characters holding on for what seemed to be their final moments. The only explanation for this is that all her forces weren't at Winterfell, which also makes very little sense, especially seeing as Dragonstone appeared abandoned.

Then this episode... what happened with her fleet? Ignoring the comedy of those ballistas punching through ships like it's Pirates of the Caribbean, ignoring the fact the nobody considered that they might run into that enemy fleet that already wrecked their shit on 2 separate occasions, ignoring the fact that a fleet was able to conceal itself from bird's-eye-view until it was in effective firing range - Ignoring all that, how does Dany even have an army left? Her fleet was crushed, did everyone survive that and conveniently wash ashore on Dragonstone except Missandei? And how did Dany get from Dragonstone to the walls of King's Landing without a single boat? Did she carry her entire entourage by Dragonback? Even if they somehow got extra boats, why wouldn't Euron just sink them before they get to the mainland? What's happening with Dragonstone anyway, it's a vital strategic location, why does everyone seem to just abandon it? Why wouldn't Cersei seize it?

This has turned into a 2-location show. Everything in between and besides has no consequence or purpose and is lucky to receive a throw-away line to vaguely address it. There is no sense of scale, time or distance. Just a series of jarringly disjointed scenes. Bronn at Winterfell is a perfect illustration of all of this. He needs to be there, so he's there, who cares that he's practically a general in the enemy army? Dany needs to be outside the walls of King's Landing, so she's there, who cares how?

All that said, one thing I'm glad of is that they're running with some serious in-fighting within the former coalition of the living. This makes sense at the very least and I'll be interested to see how they conclude it.

And god damn, why is Jon such a dickhead to Ghost?

lol, I had thought of some of these things, but I forgave them, in the spirit of the show, but you are Right, there is just too many glitches in these last episodes.
Seems you spotted them all, and I am not even glad you did :sad:
No Flag Superfly47
Musketeer

Post by Superfly47 »

iwillspankyou wrote:
Superfly47 wrote:

please explain this to me, cos I do not understand what you cannot stomach.

The only secondary storylines the writers seem interested in are love stories. Don't watch Game of Thrones for love stories.