Game of Thrones Season 8

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8

Post by deleted_user0 »

The writers of GoT this season:
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Nah they already had a caeser moment with Jon snow. I just hope at some point drogon try to burn jon and fails,proving that he's a Targaryan
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I hope they just replay any season 4 episode.
No Flag Superfly47
Musketeer
ESO: Superfly47

Post by Superfly47 »

Horsemen wrote:The red woman reappears and brings Jaime Lannister back to life. He kills Dany, fulfilling his destiny to become the Queenslayer. Jon Snow ascends the Iron Throne and turns the Seven Kingdoms into a constitutional democracy.

Then suddenly a sword goes through Jon's heart. The murderer pulls his sword out and says, "I am the King of Dorne and Democracy is for pussies."
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Poosays
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

gibson wrote:Nah they already had a caeser moment with Jon snow. I just hope at some point drogon try to burn jon and fails,proving that he's a Targaryan

That would be fitting considering that D&D invented that part of the lore. More likely Jon's entire arc is to kill Dany and go vanish into the north looking for Ygritte's spirit in the caves.
mad cuz bad
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

n0el wrote:
gibson wrote:Nah they already had a caeser moment with Jon snow. I just hope at some point drogon try to burn jon and fails,proving that he's a Targaryan

That would be fitting considering that D&D invented that part of the lore. More likely Jon's entire arc is to kill Dany and go vanish into the north looking for Ygritte's spirit in the caves.

they definitely didn't invent that. R+L=J is a theory that comes from the books, and is most likely true there as well.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

I mean the fire part. They invented that Targ's are immune to fire.
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Is it true that the dragon is named drogon?
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

fightinfrenchman wrote:Is it true that the dragon is named drogon?
One of the three dragons is indeed named Drogon. Named after Dany's late husband Drogo.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Sounds dumb as hell
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Not more dumb than a book about dragons titled Eragon.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

That's also bad
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

n0el wrote:I mean the fire part. They invented that Targ's are immune to fire.

They didnt invent that, its just people being wrong. I dont think the show ever said targaryens are immune to fire. Heck i think one even got burned by wildfire. Dany is the only one who survived when her dragons were borne and this also happened in the books. From that ppl assume that targaryens are immune but grmm dismissed this already.
No Flag Superfly47
Musketeer
ESO: Superfly47

Post by Superfly47 »

edeholland wrote:Well that would certainly be stupid. Her kill list is just finished, she doesn't need to kill anyone anymore. In this episode, she saw the tragedy and suffering that comes with death and how it affects people. If she starts killing Dany now, her arc in this episode would be for nothing. Jon killing Dany would be a much more fitting end. "Love is the death of duty, and duty is the death of love."

Arya's arc was about her having an irrational need for revenge. She would say the names of people she wanted to kill before she went to sleep. She was disappointed that King Jeffrey died as she wanted to kill him herself. By allowing Cersei to die from other means she was letting go of the need to kill her enemies herself. Killing Dany would be different as it wouldn't just be about revenge, but preventing the world from having a mad Queen as ruler.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Haven't read the thread since I'm only now caught up, but wanted to say that the words disappointed and unhappy barely convey my feelings right now.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

umeu wrote:

They didnt invent that, its just people being wrong. I dont think the show ever said targaryens are immune to fire. Heck i think one even got burned by wildfire. Dany is the only one who survived when her dragons were borne and this also happened in the books. From that ppl assume that targaryens are immune but grmm dismissed this already.

She's been completely fire retardant on two separate occasions in the show, rather than just the one magical dragon birth event.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Kawapasaka wrote:
umeu wrote:

She's been completely fire retardant on two separate occasions in the show, rather than just the one magical dragon birth event.

hmm, must've missed that then. when was that?
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

umeu wrote:hmm, must've missed that then. when was that?

Burns a bunch of Dothraki leaders in their tent, walks out of the flames fine, all the other Dothraki bow. Somewhere towards the end of season 6 iirc.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Re the most recent episode:

Character decisions just make no goddamn sense. Dany, Jamie, and Arya pull a full 180. Dany was supposed to "break the wheel" and actually love and care for those who she frees. I mean, for fucks sake, she was devastated when 1 of her dragons killed a little girl and she chose to lock them up afterwards. Now, she's super cool with slaughtering many innocents and then just laying waste to their homes. We followed Jamie's journey of redemption and after making sweet sweet love with Brienne (which I was super happy about, btw, and made me feel like just maybe this shit show was worth it) he decides that "oh, I'm still in love with Cersei. I must save her or die trying!" I guess the sex with Brienne was just really really bad. Dumb. Arya gets all the way to Kings Landing. Is even in the Keep when the Hound is like "don't be like me, kid" and she's all like "you're right, thank you". Then she turns around and leaves! I mean.....! They've built her character up to be nonchalant towards her own death. She had no intention of surviving. Makes zero sense. Tyrion made stupid decisions, which doesn't fit with his character. Even the goddamn Mountain became a different character! What happened to his blind loyalty? His brother returns and he's suddenly filled with the urge to kill him at the expense of protecting his queen and creator?! Just what the actual fuck. Don't even get me started on the whole Euron vs Jamie fight. That was just so utterly stupid. How the fuck was there even an army left to fight Cersei? I thought all the Dothraki suicided themselves in that ridiculous battle "strategy" versus the Night King. I thought the Unsullied were also dead. How did 1 dragon defeat all those ships and the ballistae on the walls when 2 couldn't? At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Sansa just magically appeared in Kings Landing riding Ghost and killed Dany while Ghost and Nymeria, along with lesser wolves, killed Drogon.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

I don't know if i agree with that. Yes, Euron vs Jaime was dumb, and the mountain suddenly becoming "human" and fighting his brother was also dumb. But the changes in the other characters are all things kind of present in the story for a while. It's just that the last 2 seasons have been so rushed that it these changes in character haven't been worked out well and given the attention required to make these 180 turns believable. This is the case especially for Dany and Arya. The Jaime change was indeed quite an abrubt turn, but not entirely out of character, I would say. As for Tyrion, I don't think he made stupid choices. Tyrion was never a 2nd littlefinger. Yes, he was smart, and he could be ruthless at times. But he also cared about those he loved, and he would go the distance to help them, he already showed this with the girl who betrayed, even after that, he tried to save her. Tyrion saving Jaime, as trusting and betraying Varys, that was in his character, imo. Varys being so incompetent as to approach Jon in full daylight and trying him to commit treason (I mean we're talking about Mini-Ned here...) that was ridiculous though.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I think a lot of it could have made sense if it was properly prepared, but as is no one had enough reason to do what they did. I wouldn't be surprised if the change in Dany is actually how GRRM intends to end the books, but everything was way too rushed and now it looks like she just snapped for no reason.

Mostly I'm mad about getting screwed out of my winter. They were hyping that shit up for 7 seasons and the Night King just dies stupidly in maybe the worst episode of television in history. Where's my fucking winter?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Overall this season has been a joke, but still entertaining despite (or maybe because of) that.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/ ... c78b2788ac
HBO actually wanted more. Fuck the writers.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:I'm actually curious, how do you goys do it? How can you find the time to play AOE3, watch movies and do other stuff, after coming home from work?
By not doing whatever you're doing after work which, I gotta ask now... What do you do after work?
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Goodspeed wrote:I think a lot of it could have made sense if it was properly prepared, but as is no one had enough reason to do what they did. I wouldn't be surprised if the change in Dany is actually how GRRM intends to end the books, but everything was way too rushed and now it looks like she just snapped for no reason.

It most likely is, dunno if you've read them, but there were already hints of this in the book and earlier in the show. But yea, because its so rushed, all these little hints and changes dont add up to be enough to make sense for dany and maybe even arya to act as they did.

I was more annoyed by how nobosy could hit drogon all of a sudden, nuclear dragons, random dothraki revival, jon snows lnes being stuck on shes my queen. Its quite sad...

And ye the confrontation with the night king was definitely the biggest let down. They easily couldve had 3-4 more seasons. But yeah, if the article you linked is true, that would definitely make sense. It does kinda seem as if they just want to get it over with. Even as if they just didnt care and slacked off without anyone calling them out on it. I dont know why hbo didnt get new writers then, but must be a legal issue or something. I mean if the executives, the writer of the book and the fans all wanted more, at least they did 2 seasins ago, then surely something shouldve been done.