The Official Mueller report thread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Re: The Official Mueller report thread

Post by spanky4ever »

fightinfrenchman wrote:I was skeptical before but I now think we should start impeachment.

Nancy Pelosy gave him a pass, even before the report was publicized. :hmm: I really wonder why :?:
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I honestly don't think impeachment is the way to go at this point. Impeaching would energize republican voters. Not impeaching energizes dems. And how much better is Pence anyway?

Since we're only a year from the election, I say just let the fucker sit there, elect a dem president and then prosecute the shit out of him to rub into his voters how dumb their choice was.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Pelosi has a point regarding the political fallout of impeachment, since removal from office is not a real possibility. But I think once impeachment proceedings began and were televised it would shift public opinion further against Trump.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

fightinfrenchman wrote:Pelosi has a point regarding the political fallout of impeachment, since removal from office is not a real possibility. But I think once impeachment proceedings began and were televised it would shift public opinion further against Trump.

As usual, the Democratic leadership is terrified of their own shadow.
mad cuz bad
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Goodspeed wrote:I honestly don't think impeachment is the way to go at this point. Impeaching would energize republican voters. Not impeaching energizes dems. And how much better is Pence anyway?

Since we're only a year from the election, I say just let the fucker sit there, elect a dem president and then prosecute the shit out of him to rub into his voters how dumb their choice was.

Since they cannot ever hope to remove him (Senate R's won't vote to impeach), they need to rally their own base and turn the independents by airing his crimes in public. it is a big mistake to think it would energize R voters, they are already energized on this topic, just watch a Trump rally. At this point, Trump is getting all the hype from his side of the impeachment argument while the Dems are getting nothing.
mad cuz bad
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

just one question here, how do you think the Republicans would handle this?
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

they will vote against it in the Senate even though it will have bi-partisan support in the House.
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

n0el wrote:they will vote against it in the Senate even though it will have bi-partisan support in the House.

"Bipartisan" meaning Democrats and Justin Amash
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

I’m almost certain there’s more than Amash
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

There aren't. I'm sure plenty have agreed with him privately, but the thing is they're lying to him and being honest in public.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

n0el wrote:they will vote against it in the Senate even though it will have bi-partisan support in the House.

guess I asked the question wrong, One more try; how do you think the Republicans would handle this; would they say; I would not impeach, whatever the report says, or would I bee eager to put those ppl in jail (as they should be). I guess Pelosi and Trump get the money from the same donors. And Dems are paid to be weak. How else can this make sense :shock:
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

They will vote against it even if he killed someone. It isn't about money to be weak, it is about them just being weak. THe money wants to impeach, but still they won't do it.
mad cuz bad
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

n0el wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:I honestly don't think impeachment is the way to go at this point. Impeaching would energize republican voters. Not impeaching energizes dems. And how much better is Pence anyway?

Since they cannot ever hope to remove him (Senate R's won't vote to impeach), they need to rally their own base and turn the independents by airing his crimes in public. it is a big mistake to think it would energize R voters, they are already energized on this topic, just watch a Trump rally. At this point, Trump is getting all the hype from his side of the impeachment argument while the Dems are getting nothing.
Agree to disagree on the energizing thing, but you are aware that the people who come to Trump rallies don't represent the republican electorate?
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

The part of the electorate that you energize is the base, not that average voter.
mad cuz bad
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Trump base does not equal republican base.
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Unfortunately it does.
mad cuz bad
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Overlap isn't equality.
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Trump is the symptom of the Republican problem, he isn’t the cause.
mad cuz bad
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I agree with Goodspeed. Trump didn't come to power based on a movement that originated in the Republican base. His movement originated in the Tea Party years ago. That's where Steve Bannon & co. came from. That's where the electorate that hates both Republicans and Democrats and the whole "neocon" Washington establishment came from. From that electorate which hates government expansion, hates mainstream media, hates immigration, etc.
And they managed to snowball so much that eventually they crushed the candidates of the Republican establishment (Jeb Bush and the others). So, in the end, Republicans had no choice but to embrace Trump. They didn't like Trump, remember? They didn't really support him until it became clear he won the nomination.

Trump won the nomination despite what the Repub establishment wanted. Basically, Trump created his own political movement and used the Republican party as a vehicle for his campaign, since he knew you can't realistically get elected outside of the current political duopoly.
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

I wholly disagree with that, and quite honestly thinking from those lines in the US mainstream is a big part of the problem. Just because “establishment” figures are one place doesn’t mean the majority of the party is there too. The establishment people love Justin Amash, too bad for him he’s going to lose his seat in 2020. Other than Mitt Romney, almost all the recent Senate R’s have been non establishment tea-Party trump types. Even the establishment Republicans can’t compete (look at Jeff Flake).
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Who are the "establishment" Republicans who don't like Trump, exactly?
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Bill Kristol, Rick Wilson, Kasich, Flake, Romney, those types.
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

The term "establishment" is confusing then because it implies they have some sort of influence/power
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

I agree, that is why Dolan and GS's points are bad.
mad cuz bad
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Have you even watched the debates Republicans had with their main candidates? Who was Trump running against?

These are the Republican candidates that participated in the debates against Trump: Ted Cruz (senator), Marko Rubio (senator), Jeb Bush (ex-governor + Bush family pedigree), John Kasich (governor), Rand Paul (senator), Chris Christie (governor), Ben Carson, Jim Gilmore (ex-governor), Scott Walker (governor).

Most of them are/were either senators or governors for the same party. Pretty hard to claim they're all outside of the Repub establishment when they had such high-ranking positions.