UK local elections 2019

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Great Britain thomasgreen6
Lancer
ESO: Thomasgreen6

UK local elections 2019

Post by thomasgreen6 »

So it seems as though The Conservatives have taken a massive battering, Labour have done worse then would have ideally hoped, The Liberal Democrats came out of nowhere like Randy Orton with the Greens making unexpected gains across the country and Ukip almost falling from existence.

Having become more involved in politics since coming to university and being involved in various Students union campaigns and processes, it would be interesting to know peoples thoughts on the UK local elections especially form people outside the UK/not involved in UK politics.

[spoiler=spoiler]Pls respect other peoples opinions <3[/spoiler]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48091592
'I'm gonna win this and I'm just gonna enjoy it' - Tibia 2k18

http://www.Twitch.tv/thomasgreen6
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Re: UK local elections 2019

Post by Dolan »

I'll just state the obvious and say British voters are punishing the political system dominated by the two old and sclerotic parties and their failure to solve Brexit one way or another. And both Tories and Labour are paralysed by internal factions, which made their leaders either hesitate when it came to taking the big decisions (Corbyn's hesitation to initiate a motion of no-confidence) or simply put party interests above national interests and shaped political decisions in such a way as to avoid alienating a certain faction within their party (May walking a very fine line of compromise between the hardline Brexiteer wing in her party and the more moderate wings).
So it was to be expected that voters would take their chances with centrist parties, that they would look for alternatives that seemed less tainted by party politics.

I wonder how long will it take before calls will be made to change the electoral system from a first-past-the-post system to one based on proportional representation.

UKIP getting smashed seems like a surprise at first, but I guess voters don't perceive them to be relevant to local administration, but rather more useful in playing the role of a political gadfly on a national/EU level.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: UK local elections 2019

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Lib Dems OP
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix