Lejend's little corner

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Re: Lejend's little corner

Post by Dolan »

True. It's about Swedes who want to move to the USA, rarely about Americans who want to move to Eastern Europe.
But eventually, they might discover the grass isn't that greener on the other side. They might discover that the ghettos of Malmö aren't that different from some ghettos in the USA.
I guess we'll see, it's too early to tell. But the spores of change are already spreading.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Dolan wrote:True. It's about Swedes who want to move to the USA, rarely about Americans who want to move to Eastern Europe.
But eventually, they might discover the grass isn't that greener on the other side. They might discover that the ghettos of Malmö aren't that different from some ghettos in the USA.
I guess we'll see, it's too early to tell. But the spores of change are already spreading.

Who wouldn't want to live in Eastern Europe, though? The internet is so fast!
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ENM10aL9M

"Don't compromise in the West on the faith we are dying for in Africa." - Attributed to a Nigerian pastor

There were only 9 million Christians in Africa in 1900, but by the year 2010, there were an estimated 500 million Christians, and that number is projected to increase to 1.1 billion by 2050.

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

The Wife of Noble Character

Proverbs 31

10 An excellent wife, who can find?
For her worth is far above jewels.

11 The heart of her husband trusts in her,
And he will have no lack of gain.

12 She does him good and not evil
All the days of her life.

13 She looks for wool and flax
And works with her hands in delight.

14 She is like merchant ships;
She brings her food from afar.

15 She rises also while it is still night
And gives food to her household
And portions to her maidens.

16 She considers a field and buys it;
From her earnings she plants a vineyard.

17 She girds herself with strength
And makes her arms strong.

18 She senses that her gain is good;
Her lamp does not go out at night.

19 She stretches out her hands to the distaff,
And her hands grasp the spindle.

20 She extends her hand to the poor,
And she stretches out her hands to the needy.

21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household,
For all her household are clothed with scarlet.

22 She makes coverings for herself;
Her clothing is fine linen and purple.

23 Her husband is known in the gates,
When he sits among the elders of the land.

24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
And supplies belts to the tradesmen.

25 Strength and dignity are her clothing,
And she smiles at the future.

26 She opens her mouth in wisdom,
And the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.

27 She looks well to the ways of her household,
And does not eat the bread of idleness.

28 Her children rise up and bless her;
Her husband also, and he praises her, saying:

29 “Many daughters have done nobly,
But you excel them all.”

30 Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain,
But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised.

31 Give her the product of her hands,
And let her works praise her in the gates.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Dolan wrote:And?

English has spread so much on a global scale that the origin of the language itself has become just a footnote without much significance. The UK doesn't own the language anymore, to the point that they are incorporating words and meanings that come from the global linguistic sphere that they don't control to any degree. Pretty much how Latin, the language that originated in a small province of Italy (Latium) became the language of the Roman empire and survived even after the empire collapsed, in different ways. This only shows that there is a need for bridge languages and eventually people will naturally get drawn to the language in which the most popular cultural products are spread. The fact that English has become so popular owes probably a lot more to the success of the 1960s culture in spreading around the world lots of pop songs that those generations grew up with, than to the fact that English was the predominant language used in trade and international institutions. Most people never set foot in those, so it had no bearing on why they eventually learned some English from popular culture.

So, I wouldn't say that English has become an asset to the Anglosphere, it's a bit of a trap actually. Because all these people who can speak "global English" can always talk in their native language and leave you out of the discussion. And then, you, the Anglophone who never learned any other foreign language, become the prisoner of your native language's global success. It only encourages complacency, you're missing out on so much if you only learn one language your entire life. Not to mention that there are also health benefits to learning at least two distinct languages.

So every non-Anglophone is pretty happy with the situation if his native language becomes like an esoteric tool he can use to prove his native credentials, to prove he is not some "global citizen" that doesn't come from anywhere, but rather someone hailing from a very specific and unique culture.

Actually it was a concerted effort to become the global language and prevent french from becoming it.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Dolan wrote:Which tells about cultural cohesion, something the Anglosphere or the West doesn't have anymore. Especially the US of A.
They've all been bending backwards to "embrace diversity" to such an extent they forgot they had inherited any culture from their ancestors at all. Not to mention no zoomer cares about Shakespeare's or Poe's works, they'd rather read Japanese cartoons and dream of being like Lil Dick, their favourite rappa.
"

What a lot of crap. Typical achromatic supremacist stuff I guess.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Lotta good posts in this thread. Looking forward to what comes next
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

Im a wheelchair driven supremacist
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Typical achromatic supremacist
I'm talking about not losing cultures, you're talking about.. I dunno wtf you're talking about. It has basically no relation to what I'm saying.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Dolan wrote:
Typical achromatic supremacist
I'm talking about not losing cultures, you're talking about.. I dunno wtf you're talking about. It has basically no relation to what I'm saying.

Yes it does, and the fact that you're seemingly oblivious to it only illustrates my point. How do you think the "ancestral culture" came to be? Do you seriously think it's been the same for the past 20k years?

Rap is quintessential american culture, and yet without reason you're mocking it and writing it off as minority culture. Then explain why shakespeare or poe aren't expressions of minority cultures? You know the majority of americans arent fron English descent.That shows you clearly lack understanding of how cultures comes to be, who contributes to it, and more specifically what american culture is, what makes it american and how it has been influenced by other cultures or cultural phenomenon in the past or how it has influenced cultural expression we witness now

So yeah, typical achromatic supremacist nonsense...
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I think you misunderstood the point I was making (which is possible also because I may have formulated it in an equivocal way). The USA doesn't really have any particular culture, that's why I said they lack cultural cohesion. They have a hodgepodge of cultural elements that have been brought there by a similar hodegepodge of ethnic groups. The result of this mixture is a rather low or absent internalisation of other cultures' norms. For them "Jewish culture" portends "Bar Mitzvah parties, kosher food, yarmulkes" and other such caricatures of what leftists call "otherness". But that's where it also ends. Each culture in the USA is just an item on a restaurant menu, from which you occasionally pick something for a quick meal. It's not something you adopt.

Rap culture is not "American culture". People's memory can be so short. Was rap a mainstream thing in the 70s? Nope. Was it a mainstream thing in the 80s? Noper. It became a mainstream thing after MTV started popularising it in the early 2000s. Until then, it was a niche culture that only a bunch of connoisseurs had access to. But it's so easy to make such assumptions when you're blind-spotted by the present. A different style could appear and make everyone forget that rap was a popular thing between the early 2000s and late 2010s. Just like hippie music was back in the 1960s.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Dolan wrote:I think you misunderstood the point I was making (which is possible also because I may have formulated it in an equivocal way). The USA doesn't really have any particular culture, that's why I said they lack cultural cohesion. They have a hodgepodge of cultural elements that have been brought there by a similar hodegepodge of ethnic groups. The result of this mixture is a rather low or absent internalisation of other cultures' norms. For them "Jewish culture" portends "Bar Mitzvah parties, kosher food, yarmulkes" and other such caricatures of what leftists call "otherness". But that's where it also ends. Each culture in the USA is just an item on a restaurant menu, from which you occasionally pick something for a quick meal. It's not something you adopt.

Rap culture is not "American culture". People's memory can be so short. Was rap a mainstream thing in the 70s? Nope. Was it a mainstream thing in the 80s? Noper. It became a mainstream thing after MTV started popularising it in the early 2000s. Until then, it was a niche culture that only a bunch of connoisseurs had access to. But it's so easy to make such assumptions when you're blind-spotted by the present. A different style could appear and make everyone forget that rap was a popular thing between the early 2000s and late 2010s. Just like hippie music was back in the 1960s.

I haven't misunderstood it, it's you who misunderstands culture. It's not relevant that rap wasn't popular in that 70s (basically for the simple reason that it didn't exist) but you can draw a clear line from the cultural expressions of music that preceeded rap to early rap and from there to modern rap, and see how these forms of cultural expression have impacted american society. Do you think that Elvis Presley is American culture? Because the music that influenced and predated him has also influenced and helped the come about of rap. As usual you just have a singleminded fixated idea of what something should be rather than look at how different things push and pull in order to form some dynamic relationship.

The fact that rap was initially only listened to be a small community of people has many reasons, but none of them would disqualify it as American. It's very normal for music or art in general to be only consumed by a small group of connoisseurs before becoming mainstream. What do you think was the case with folk, jazz, blues, rock n roll, or more modern, house, drum n base etc (not saying these all originated in the usa).

As most achromatic supremacists you seem to refer to culture as some mythological inert creature that is unchanging over time and connects people, but such a thing has never existed. Even the major religions are dynamic and have absorbed rituals, language, stories and practices from other cultures and they have changed over time. Or do you really think that the practice and expression of christianity in europe (not to mention how its practiced across the world) today is very similar to a 1000 years ago.

The fact that rap can be replaced as a popular expression of culture only shows that culture isnt fixed and timeless, it doesn't show that it's not culture. That's like saying that corsets, top hats and frock coats weren't an expression of English culture (namely fashion) just because they're no longer popular now, or because they were only popular within, or more accurately, worn by, elite circles of society at the time.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Rap absolutely was mainstream in the 80s. Never heard of KRS-One, Big Daddy Kane, Salt n Pepa, Run DMC, NWA, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys? That's just off the top of my head!

@deleted_user I nearly always fall in love with the words you write.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

established is a better term for the rap scene in the late 80s, but mainstream it certainly was not
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

rap/hip-hop music is presently the zeitgeist and most popular genre of music, and it is certainly a consequence of american culture. you take most rap scenes from elsewhere around the world and their sound is generally lagging 5-10 years behind what is popular in the states. apart from a few artists (usually more experimental, by nature...) and a few scenes (one notably being UK grime), when it comes to rap the rest of the world is simply imitating what the US does
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Cometk wrote:established is a better term for the rap scene in the late 80s, but mainstream it certainly was not
I guess you should define mainstream then. Album reached platinum? Check. Song hit top 40? Check. Song hit top 10?! Check. Most people have heard it? Check.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

umeu wrote:I haven't misunderstood it, it's you who misunderstands culture. It's not relevant that rap wasn't popular in that 70s (basically for the simple reason that it didn't exist) but you can draw a clear line from the cultural expressions of music that preceeded rap to early rap and from there to modern rap, and see how these forms of cultural expression have impacted american society. Do you think that Elvis Presley is American culture? Because the music that influenced and predated him has also influenced and helped the come about of rap. As usual you just have a singleminded fixated idea of what something should be rather than look at how different things push and pull in order to form some dynamic relationship.

The fact that rap was initially only listened to be a small community of people has many reasons, but none of them would disqualify it as American. It's very normal for music or art in general to be only consumed by a small group of connoisseurs before becoming mainstream. What do you think was the case with folk, jazz, blues, rock n roll, or more modern, house, drum n base etc (not saying these all originated in the usa).

As most achromatic supremacists you seem to refer to culture as some mythological inert creature that is unchanging over time and connects people, but such a thing has never existed. Even the major religions are dynamic and have absorbed rituals, language, stories and practices from other cultures and they have changed over time. Or do you really think that the practice and expression of christianity in europe (not to mention how its practiced across the world) today is very similar to a 1000 years ago.

The fact that rap can be replaced as a popular expression of culture only shows that culture isnt fixed and timeless, it doesn't show that it's not culture. That's like saying that corsets, top hats and frock coats weren't an expression of English culture (namely fashion) just because they're no longer popular.

And how does "American rap" reflect Jewish culture from the USA? Polish-American culture? Mexican-American culture? Chinese-American culture? Or are those "dynamically" erased into the melting pot of "American culture"?

This is what I'm talking about, I'm not talking about whether rap is popular among people of different backgrounds or why is it popular. Does rap music actually create a new conscience of cultural belonging, or is it just a popular music fad? Does rap make Polish-Americans or Israeli-Americans think they belong to something called "American culture" and they should stop attending Bar mitzvah and cooking their traditional recipes? Does rap music create cultural cohesion in the USA?
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

XeeleeFlower wrote:
Cometk wrote:established is a better term for the rap scene in the late 80s, but mainstream it certainly was not
I guess you should define mainstream then. Album reached platinum? Check. Song hit top 40? Check. Song hit top 10?! Check. Most people have heard it? Check.

the annointed google proclaimeth
the ideas, attitudes, or activities that are regarded as normal or conventional; the dominant trend in opinion, fashion, or the arts.

rap in the 80s was still burgeoning, classically counter-culture, and generally considered to be too abrasive for a vast swath of the population

popular rap nowadays is much more commodified
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

The Christian Conquest of Pagan Rome

https://www.crosswalk.com/blogs/michael ... 40691.html

Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Spreading Christianism outside Europe was a huge mistake, imo.

Let's hear what a Nigerian guy has to say about the colonisation of (parts of) Nigeria and especially about spreading Christianism there:

Victor Dirikebamor, Lives in Abuja, Nigeria wrote:Before colonization, these different kingdoms were living just fine and was growing and modernising in their slow little way, which was comforting to them. But after colonization everything fell apart. No nation has the right to enforce their beliefs and culture on any person or kingdom despite there size or level of civilization. I consider this to be a sin committed by stronger nations on their weaker counterparts. An ideal world is where a person or group of people live according to their own terms which is conventionally acceptable but it most not be based on the same terms everywhere else.
I agree. Euro Christians had no right to spread their faith all over the world (Africa, South America, some parts of Asia). It led to a massive erasure of previous cultures and faiths, it interfered with their own intrinsic patterns of development and forced them to become connected to a globalised model of trade. And for what gain? Replacing one brain virus with another?
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

I don't know who that person is or where he gets his information on pre-Christian civilization, but human beings have agency and are free to accept or reject Christ. There's a huge hunger for Christianity among pagans. I don't think Christianity is a European cultural trait or invention (as if it were the same as a food preference), it's God's message to all humanity and the normative path to salvation. Depriving anyone of this is a great crime.

Matthew 28

18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Romans 10

14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15 And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”

From what I've read, "reverse missionaries" (African or Asian missionaries to Europe) have actually been growing rapidly in recent years. Your view of Christianity as a "European" religion is really outdated.

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector

Luke 18

9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

“Prostitutes are in no danger of finding their present life so satisfactory that they cannot turn to God: the proud, the avaricious, the self-righteous, are in that danger.” ― C.S. Lewis

Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

crazy shit, could it be you need some therapy @lejend
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.