Lejend's little corner

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Re: Lejend's little corner

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

kami_ryu wrote:I am susceptible to manipulation, please provide me guidance.

Reddit.com/r/retconned
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Snuden wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_sexual_abuse_cases

The Roman Catholic Church doesn't have anything to do with my post. That was just the first picture of Chrysostom's quote that I could find on Google.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

The world would be a better place without puerile Christian inventions like... every human being is infinitely sacred and made in the image of God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQVUMG6LZGM
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Christianism confirmed for Marxism avant la lettre again. :ohmy:
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

That's partially true. But I've also seen desperate cases. Like some guy from Brazil, poor as fuck, living in a favela, barely having any access to internet, writing super-smart and insightful answers about UK politics on Quora and talking about being suicidal because there's literally no chance for him to escape poverty. High intelligence and talent have the habit of springing into existence in the most accidental places.

There really are some cases of people who would need to be identified and financially supported to get out of a very unfortunate context. Then there are historically documented cases of bright people who would have been able to discover or create a lot more if they weren't living in abject poverty. Like Tesla, Diderot, van Gogh, Schubert, William Blake, Poe, Vermeer, Bach, and the list is endless.

So yeah, for most people this wouldn't work at all. Even if they were miraculously catapulted to financial security (like they were landed a couple of millions in one day), they would still fuck it up. Experience shows that most lottery winners waste their money and end up worse than they were before the big win. However, for a small and carefully chosen people, being landed a fortune could have inordinately positive effects.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

There's certainly a golden mean between abject poverty and superfluous wealth. Neither extreme is particularly conducive to happiness and spiritual health.

He won Powerball’s $314 million jackpot. It ruined his life.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

kami_ryu wrote:I am happy with no spirituality in my life.

Have you read the Book of Ecclesiastes? It's only 12 chapters.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

kami_ryu wrote:
lejend wrote:
kami_ryu wrote:I am happy with no spirituality in my life.

Have you read the Book of Ecclesiastes? It's only 12 chapters.

I have tried and failed to be spiritual. It stirs nothing in me.

Adjust your frequency
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Ecclesiastes 1:9-10 wrote: there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?

It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
That's an easy one. CRISPR gene editing.

But maybe when the Septuagint was written, life was really short and monotonous, so a lot of time passed before anything truly new was invented/discovered. When lifespans are short, knowledge takes a lot longer time to accumulate.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

lejend wrote:The post was basically just pointing out that prostitution isn't a normal profession. It's not really relevant to this thread, though, so there's no need to continue that discussion.
Being a sex worker is definitely a normal profession. It's actually one of the oldest professions. Everyone sells themselves in some way.

Why start a thread if you don't wish to discuss your thoughts in it?
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

You don't start threads to discuss your thoughts and have your truth questioned. You start them to convince others your truth is the one and only truth. This thread may as well have been called Lejenda's Little Missionary Post.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

XeeleeFlower wrote:
lejend wrote:The post was basically just pointing out that prostitution isn't a normal profession. It's not really relevant to this thread, though, so there's no need to continue that discussion.
Being a sex worker is definitely a normal profession. It's actually one of the oldest professions. Everyone sells themselves in some way.

I didn't start a discussion about prostitution, that was fightingfrenchman, remember. It's not a topic that interests me.

Prostitution isn't normal in any society I'm aware of. Even where it's legal or common, it's still highly frowned upon. Most people would be viscerally disgusted by the thought of their mother or daughter resorting to prostitution, and being a prostitute will typically relegate a woman to the bottom rung of society in terms of social status. It's also officially illegal almost everywhere, even if the law isn't always enforced. That's not comparable to being a librarian or bus driver at all.

Here's one testimony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NyzCJx4IiI
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

You were the one who first brought up sex work via posting a quote. You then started to discuss it with Ear. That's fine if you don't feel like continuing along that discussion.

It actually wasn't always frowned upon. Did you know that there were actually temples for sex workers way back in the day? The women were venerated and many of them perceived as being as goddesses. It's only in recent times, particularly the cultural shift towards Christianity, that sex work has become this "unsavory" profession.

I would not care if my mother or (future) daughter was a sex worker as long as she was safe. I don't give a flying fuck what the rest of society would think. Sex work provides a really great income. A friend of mine bought her first house, then another, then even more, with the intent of flipping and/or renting them out. Which she did. Women in sex work know that they will not be able to do it long term (youth sells, you know) so they're quite savvy with long term investment planning.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

lejend wrote:
XeeleeFlower wrote:

I didn't start a discussion about prostitution, that was fightingfrenchman, remember. It's not a topic that interests me.

Prostitution isn't normal in any society I'm aware of. Even where it's legal or common, it's still highly frowned upon. Most people would be viscerally disgusted by the thought of their mother or daughter resorting to prostitution, and being a prostitute will typically relegate a woman to the bottom rung of society in terms of social status. It's also officially illegal almost everywhere. That's not comparable to being a librarian or bus driver at all.

It's quite weird that sex would be the only human act that negatively changes its nature depending on whether or not you're paid to do it or not. At least with killing, if you're paid to do it, you're a hero to your country.

Obviously people have those feelings because they're raised to believe that it's inherently wrong. But scientific research demonstrates that it's not inherently more traumatizing than other jobs. What traumatizes most people is not actually the job itself but the stigma that surrounds it, and this cuts both ways. It attracts vulnerable people to the job, and it leaves people vulnerable while doing it, and it aims to keep the vulnerable even after they've quit it. Research into societies where prostitution wasn't regarded with the same kind of stigma and where it's not seen as an eternal blemish on the character of the person in question, shows that this line of work doesn't yield the same kind of internal conflict and the work is often seen as transitional rather than personality defining, like most jobs actually. In certain cases, especially where combined with certain spiritual or communal duties, these people were actually well regarded, and seen as providing a necessary service within the community. Your pov is very limited to its anglo-saxon and christian origins, and while very common now, it's definitely not universal, and it has never been.

One thing to be clear about that prostitution can only involve consenting adults. Anything other tham that is rape, human trafficking, exploitation/slavery or a combination of the above. Obviously this will have traumatizing effects, but this has nothing to do with prostitution proper but rather the circumstances many prostitutes work in and often are forced to work in, either by another person, by the law, or the effects of stigma. Many prostitutes, even when working legally, don't receive the same kind of protection from the law that other professionals receive and frequently have to put up with all kinds of abuse that people wrongfully see as occupational hazards.

So when talking about prostitution, what troubles most sex workers is the disconnect between what they've been taught to be true and the reality of their situation and how that relates back to who they are as a person. We see the same thing in the people who visit prostitutes. This is very understandable, but it doesn't mean that the work itself is inherently the cause of this. We see the same for example with people who have been raised to believe that masturbating is sinful, that enjoying sex is sinful. There's no scientific evidence backing this up, but it's been internalized by the people in question. And while they do it, and will keep doing it, they nonetheless will feel deeply conflicted about it. And that's just one example. That's not to say it's for anyone. Like many professions, some people are just bot equipped to deal with the stress of certain jobs, be it physical, mental or emotional stress.

There's currently a lot wrong with prostitution, and obviously it will never be a job as any other as long as we don't treat it as such. And it in order to do that, people need to disattach the stigma from the the act and those performing the act. You can start by stopping to see it as something which eternally damages ones soul...
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Re: the C.S. Lewis quote. The bit about prostitutes was really tangential to the point, which was about finding God. The quote also includes the word "danger", but we're not going to discuss Pamplona's running of the bulls here.

Note that I'll reply to anyone a couple of times, but I don't want the thread to turn into a multi-page debate about just one topic, so you guys will have to forgive me if I don't reply to every comment. Sometimes I have nothing to say.

I know a little about the history, but I don't think that makes prostitution normal. Practices like slavery, rape and child sacrifice were popular in those days too, but you wouldn't consider them fine, would you? It's not like pagan mores are normative.

Speaking of the modern era, here's a recent survey:

https://today.yougov.com/topics/politic ... ostitution

both men (47%) and women (65%) tend to say that it is morally wrong to accept money for sex and overall 57% of Americans say it is morally wrong to work as a prostitute.

Another survey:

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-content ... pdf#page=2

59% would be bothered if their neighbor were a prostitute.

59% want prostitutes to be criminally prosecuted or pay a fine. 62% feel the same way about people who use prostitutes.

That includes majorities of Democrats, Republicans, independents, Millennials, Generation Xers, Baby Boomers and members of the Silent-Greatest Generations.

So, an illegal profession considered morally wrong by most people. I wouldn't call that a normal profession at all.

@Umeo:

I can see you've put a lot of thought into that post, but really all I can tell you is:

I think I've shared my point of view, so agree to disagree time. ;)
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Judging Others

Matthew 7

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

lejend wrote:Judging Others

Matthew 7

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
Ye hypocritical swine!
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

All this debate about whether prostitution is good or not is moot. The Chinese are already making sex robots with latex skin and miniaturised electronic components that look as lifelike as possible.

[spoiler=lewd]Image
Image[/spoiler]

It will probably take about 10-15 years before they reach parity with human form in terms of fleshlike realism, but eventually we'll get there and the plight of female sex workers will end. The market will probably be flooded with cheap Chinese sex robots, so they will probably be so affordable that it won't make any sense to pay a human anymore. Also fewer risks of STDs, no need for any bargaining over what's acceptable or not, or any other complications.

It will be like the "vaping" of sex, if you want, in the sense that it's "not the real thing" but it offers the same sensations without any significant health risks.

And then "sex workers" will have to get a job. :smile:
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Dolan wrote:All this debate about whether prostitution is good or not is moot. The Chinese are already making sex robots with latex skin and miniaturised electronic components that look as lifelike as possible.

[spoiler=lewd]Image
Image[/spoiler]

It will probably take about 10-15 years before they reach parity with human form in terms of fleshlike realism, but eventually we'll get there and the plight of female sex workers will end. The market will probably be flooded with cheap Chinese sex robots, so they will probably be so affordable that it won't make any sense to pay a human anymore. Also fewer risks of STDs, no need for any bargaining over what's acceptable or not or any other complications.

It will be like the "vaping" of sex, if you want, in the sense that it's "not the real thing" but it offers the same sensations without any significant health risks.

And then "sex workers" will have to get a job.

Planning your retirement already?