Lejend's little corner

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Re: Lejend's little corner

Post by princeofcarthage »

Sikhs also believe in God.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

boy, sikh
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

The Clapham Sect were a group of prominent and wealthy evangelical Anglicans who shared common political and social views concerning the liberation of slaves, the abolition of the slave trade and the reform of the penal system, amongst other issues, and who worked laboriously towards these ends over many years, motivated by their Christian faith. Based in Clapham, London, the group was active from about 1790 to the 1840s.

The term “Clapham Sect” was a later invention by James Stephen in an article of 1844 which celebrated and romanticized the work of these reformers. In their own time the group used no particular name, but they were lampooned by outsiders as “the saints.”

This is the story of William Wilberforce, a notable Claphamite.

Wilberforce was born in Hull in the North East of England on 24 August 1759, the only son of Robert Wilberforce, a wealthy merchant, and his wife, Elizabeth Bird.

The deaths of his grandfather and uncle in 1777 had left him independently wealthy and as a result he had little inclination or need to apply himself to serious study. Instead he immersed himself in the social round of student life and pursued a hedonistic lifestyle, enjoying cards, gambling and late-night drinking sessions – although he found the excesses of some of his fellow students distasteful. Witty, generous and an excellent conversationalist, Wilberforce was a popular figure. He made many friends including the more studious future Prime Minister William Pitt. Despite his lifestyle and lack of interest in studying, he managed to pass his examinations and was awarded a B.A. in 1781 and an M.A. in 1788.

Wilberforce began to consider a political career while still at university, and during the winter of 1779–1780, he and Pitt frequently watched House of Commons debates from the gallery. Pitt, already set on a political career, encouraged Wilberforce to join him in obtaining a parliamentary seat. In September 1780, at the age of twenty-one and while still a student, Wilberforce was elected Member of Parliament (MP) for Kingston upon Hull, spending over £8,000, as was the custom of the time, to ensure he received the necessary votes. Free from financial pressures, Wilberforce sat as an independent, resolving to be "no party man."

After his earlier interest in evangelical religion when he was young, Wilberforce's journey to faith seems to have begun afresh at this time. He started to rise early to read the Bible and pray and kept a private journal. He underwent an evangelical conversion, regretting his past life and resolving to commit his future life and work to the service of God. His conversion changed some of his habits, but not his nature: he remained outwardly cheerful, interested and respectful, tactfully urging others towards his new faith. Inwardly, he underwent an agonising struggle and became relentlessly self-critical, harshly judging his spirituality, use of time, vanity, self-control and relationships with others.

At the time, religious enthusiasm was generally regarded as a social transgression and was stigmatised in polite society. Evangelicals in the upper classes, such as Sir Richard Hill, the Methodist MP for Shropshire, and Selina Hastings, Countess of Huntingdon, were exposed to contempt and ridicule, and Wilberforce's conversion led him to question whether he should remain in public life. He sought guidance from John Newton, a leading evangelical Anglican clergyman of the day and Rector of St Mary Woolnoth in the City of London. Both Newton and Pitt counselled him to remain in politics, and he resolved to do so "with increased diligence and conscientiousness". Thereafter, his political views were informed by his faith and by his desire to promote Christianity and Christian ethics in private and public life. His views were often deeply conservative, opposed to radical changes in a God-given political and social order, and focused on issues such as the observance of the Sabbath and the eradication of immorality through education and reform. As a result, he was often distrusted by progressive voices because of his conservatism, and regarded with suspicion by many Tories who saw evangelicals as radicals, bent on the overthrow of church and state.

In 1787, he came into contact with Thomas Clarkson and a group of anti-slave-trade activists, including Granville Sharp, Hannah More and Charles Middleton. They persuaded Wilberforce to take on the cause of abolition, and he soon became one of the leading English abolitionists. He headed the parliamentary campaign against the British slave trade for twenty years until the passage of the Slave Trade Act of 1807.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L-H2k8FWCg

Wilberforce's involvement in the abolition movement was motivated by a desire to put his Christian principles into action and to serve God in public life. He and other evangelicals were horrified by what they perceived was a depraved and un-Christian trade, and the greed and avarice of the owners and traders. Wilberforce sensed a call from God, writing in a journal entry in 1787 that "God Almighty has set before me two great objects, the suppression of the Slave Trade and the Reformation of Manners [moral values]".

(John Wesley’s final letter to William Wilberforce, 1791)

Wilberforce was convinced of the importance of religion, morality and education. He gave away one-quarter of his annual income to the poor, and championed causes and campaigns such as the Society for the Suppression of Vice, British missionary work in India, the creation of a free colony in Sierra Leone, the foundation of the Church Mission Society, and the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

In later years, Wilberforce supported the campaign for the complete abolition of slavery, and continued his involvement after 1826, when he resigned from Parliament because of his failing health. That campaign led to the Slavery Abolition Act 1833, which abolished slavery in most of the British Empire. Wilberforce died just three days after hearing that the passage of the Act through Parliament was assured. He was buried in Westminster Abbey, close to his friend William Pitt the Younger.

---

Some quotes by Wilberforce:

“You may choose to look the other way but you can never again say you did not know.”

“If to be feelingly alive to the sufferings of my fellow-creatures is to be a fanatic, I am one of the most incurable fanatics ever permitted to be at large.”

“Some might say that one’s faith is a private matter and should not be spoken of so publicly. They might assert this in public, but what do they really think in their hearts? The fact is, those who say such things usually don’t even have a concern for faith in the privacy of their interior lives.”

“A private faith that does not act in the face of oppression is no faith at all.”

“It makes no sense to take the name of Christian and not cling to Christ. Jesus is not some magic charm to wear like a piece of jewelry we think will give us good luck. He is the Lord. His name is to be written on our hearts in such a powerful way that it creates within us a profound experience of His peace and a heart that is filled with His praise.”

“What a difference it would be if our system of morality were based on the Bible instead of the standards devised by cultural Christians.”

“We have different forms assigned to us in the school of life, different gifts imparted. All is not attractive that is good. Iron is useful, though it does not sparkle like the diamond. Gold has not the fragrance of a flower. So different persons have various modes of excellence, and we must have an eye to all.”

“We are too young to realize that certain things are impossible... So we will do them anyway.”
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Dred Scott v. Sandford (1857) was a landmark decision of the U.S. Supreme Court in which the Court held that the Constitution of the United States was not meant to include American citizenship for black people, regardless of whether they were enslaved or free, and therefore the rights and privileges it confers upon American citizens could not apply to them.

Two justices—John McLean and Benjamin Robbins Curtis—dissented from the Court's opinion, writing that the majority's historical survey was inaccurate and that legal precedent showed that some black people actually had been citizens at the time of the Constitution's creation, and also that the majority's opinion went too far in striking down the Missouri Compromise.

Although Chief Justice Taney and several of the other justices hoped that the ruling would permanently settle the slavery controversy—which was increasingly dividing the American public—its effect was almost the complete opposite. Taney's majority opinion "was greeted with unmitigated wrath from every segment of the United States except the slave holding states," and the decision was a contributing factor in the outbreak of the American Civil War four years later in 1861.

Frederick Douglass (pictured) was born into slavery sometime around 1818 in Maryland. After escaping from slavery, he became a national leader of the abolitionist movement in Massachusetts and New York, gaining note for his oratory and incisive antislavery writings. This was Douglass' reaction to the Dred Scott ruling:

Douglass had the facts on his side:
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Wenceslas I (c. 911 – September 28, 935) was the duke of Bohemia from 921 until his assassination in 935. His younger brother, Boleslaus the Cruel, was complicit in the murder.

Wenceslas's martyrdom and the popularity of several biographies gave rise to a reputation for heroic virtue that resulted in his elevation to sainthood.

Referring approvingly to these hagiographies, the chronicler Cosmas of Prague, writing in about the year 1119, states:
But his deeds I think you know better than I could tell you; for, as is read in his Passion, no one doubts that, rising every night from his noble bed, with bare feet and only one chamberlain, he went around to God’s churches and gave alms generously to widows, orphans, those in prison and afflicted by every difficulty, so much so that he was considered, not a prince, but the father of all the wretched.
Although Wenceslas was only a duke during his lifetime, Holy Roman Emperor Otto I posthumously "conferred on [Wenceslas] the regal dignity and title", which is why he is referred to as "king" in legend and song.

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

The Woman and the Dragon

Revelation 12

A great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars on her head. 2 She was pregnant and cried out in pain as she was about to give birth. 3 Then another sign appeared in heaven: an enormous red dragon with seven heads and ten horns and seven crowns on its heads. 4 Its tail swept a third of the stars out of the sky and flung them to the earth. The dragon stood in front of the woman who was about to give birth, so that it might devour her child the moment he was born. 5 She gave birth to a son, a male child, who “will rule all the nations with an iron scepter.”[a] And her child was snatched up to God and to his throne. 6 The woman fled into the wilderness to a place prepared for her by God, where she might be taken care of for 1,260 days.

7 Then war broke out in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back. 8 But he was not strong enough, and they lost their place in heaven. 9 The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.

10 Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say:

“Now have come the salvation and the power
and the kingdom of our God,
and the authority of his Messiah.
For the accuser of our brothers and sisters,
who accuses them before our God day and night,
has been hurled down.
11 They triumphed over him
by the blood of the Lamb
and by the word of their testimony;
they did not love their lives so much
as to shrink from death.
12 Therefore rejoice, you heavens
and you who dwell in them!
But woe to the earth and the sea,
because the devil has gone down to you!
He is filled with fury,
because he knows that his time is short.”

13 When the dragon saw that he had been hurled to the earth, he pursued the woman who had given birth to the male child. 14 The woman was given the two wings of a great eagle, so that she might fly to the place prepared for her in the wilderness, where she would be taken care of for a time, times and half a time, out of the serpent’s reach. 15 Then from his mouth the serpent spewed water like a river, to overtake the woman and sweep her away with the torrent. 16 But the earth helped the woman by opening its mouth and swallowing the river that the dragon had spewed out of his mouth. 17 Then the dragon was enraged at the woman and went off to wage war against the rest of her offspring—those who keep God’s commands and hold fast their testimony about Jesus.

Today is Michaelmas, the Feast of the Archangels Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael.

The Archangel Michael is honored for defeating Satan in the War in Heaven.

There's several different interpretations of the story, but the essence of it is:
"Satan and his angels rebelled against God in heaven, and proudly presumed to try their strength with his. And when God, by his almighty power, overcame the strength of Satan, and sent him like lightning from heaven to hell with all his army; Satan still hoped to get the victory by subtlety." - Jonathan Edwards, Wisdom Displayed in Salvation
"When the devil reminds you of your past, remind him of his future." - Teresa of Avila

United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

I bet Lejend stopped by the local nursing home before Church, so that he could give the old people who can't drive anymore a ride.
I bet Lejend donates to charity and doesn't deduct it from his taxes.
I bet Mormons say they don't agree with Lejend, but they like how nice he is.
I bet Lejend saw someone whose car battery died, and he pulled the battery out of his car and gave it to the guy instead of jump-starting it, so that the guy wouldn't be late for work.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Not really, man
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Howdah

Post by Amsel_ »

So humble. :love:
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

October 16 is the anniversary of John Brown's raid on Harper's Ferry.

John Brown was a controversial abolitionist who advocated the use of armed insurrection to overthrow the institution of slavery in the United States. He first gained national attention when he led small groups of volunteers during the Bleeding Kansas crisis of 1856. He was dissatisfied with the pacifism of the organized abolitionist movement: "These men are all talk. What we need is action—action!" In May 1856, Brown and his supporters killed five supporters of slavery in the Pottawatomie massacre, which responded to the sacking of Lawrence by pro-slavery forces.

In October 1859, Brown led a raid on the federal armory at Harpers Ferry, Virginia, intending to start a slave liberation movement that would spread south through the mountainous regions of Virginia and North Carolina. He seized the armory, but seven people were killed, and ten or more were injured. Within 36 hours, those of Brown's men who had not fled were killed or captured by local farmers, militiamen, and US Marines.

He was hastily tried for treason against the Commonwealth of Virginia, the murder of five men, and inciting a slave insurrection; he was found guilty on all counts and sentenced to be hanged. He was the first person convicted of treason in the history of the country.

In response to the sentence, Ralph Waldo Emerson remarked that "[John Brown] will make the gallows glorious like the Cross."

John Brown's speech following the conviction:
... had I so interfered in behalf of the rich, the powerful, the intelligent, the so-called great, or in behalf of any of their friends, either father, mother, brother, sister, wife, or children, or any of that class, and suffered and sacrificed what I have in this interference, it would have been all right; and every man in this court would have deemed it an act worthy of reward rather than punishment. This court acknowledges, as I suppose, the validity of the law of God. I see a book kissed here which I suppose to be the Bible, or at least the New Testament. That teaches me that all things whatsoever I would that men should do to me, I should do even so to them. It teaches me, further, to "remember them that are in bonds, as bound with them." I endeavored to act up to that instruction. I say, I am yet too young to understand that God is any respecter of persons. I believe that to have interfered as I have done as I have always freely admitted I have done in behalf of His despised poor, was not wrong, but right. Now, if it is deemed necessary that I should forfeit my life for the furtherance of the ends of justice, and mingle my blood further with the blood of my children and with the blood of millions in this slave country whose rights are disregarded by wicked, cruel, and unjust enactments, I submit; so let it be done!
John Brown, en route to the gallows, being adored by a black mother and child (The Last Moments of John Brown, by Thomas Hovenden)

Historians agree that the Harpers Ferry raid and Brown's trial, both covered extensively by the national press, escalated tensions that led to the South's secession a year later and the American Civil War.

After the Civil War, Frederick Douglass wrote, "His zeal in the cause of my race was far greater than mine—it was as the burning sun to my taper light—mine was bounded by time, his stretched away to the boundless shores of eternity. I could live for the slave, but he could die for him."
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

John Brown's Body is a marching song about the abolitionist John Brown. The song was wildly popular during the American Civil War among civilians in the North and Union troops on the march.

Lyrics:

Old John Brown's body lies moldering in the grave,
While weep the sons of bondage whom he ventured all to save;
But tho he lost his life while struggling for the slave,
His soul is marching on.

John Brown was a hero, undaunted, true and brave,
And Kansas knows his valor when he fought her rights to save;
Now, tho the grass grows green above his grave,
His soul is marching on.

He captured Harper's Ferry, with his nineteen men so few,
And frightened "Old Virginny" till she trembled thru and thru;
They hung him for a traitor, they themselves the traitor crew,
But his soul is marching on.

John Brown was John the Baptist of the Christ we are to see,
Christ who of the bondmen shall the Liberator be,
And soon thruout the Sunny South the slaves shall all be free,
For his soul is marching on.

The conflict that he heralded he looks from heaven to view,
On the army of the Union with its flag red, white and blue.
And heaven shall ring with anthems o'er the deed they mean to do,
For his soul is marching on.

Ye soldiers of Freedom, then strike, while strike ye may,
The death blow of oppression in a better time and way,
For the dawn of old John Brown has brightened into day,
And his soul is marching on.

Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

The "Battle Hymn of the Republic" is a lyric by the abolitionist writer Julia Ward Howe using the music from the song "John Brown's Body."

During the Civil War, the Battle Hymn became a rallying cry of the northern cause, reprinted a million times, and sung on a thousand marches.

In the Battle Hymn, the United States is a divine vessel propelled on the rough seas by the breath of God. Northerners saw the struggle as a holy war, with Christ and his armies arrayed against the Beast. One Pennsylvanian soldier wrote:

"Sick as I am of this war and bloodshed and as much oh how much I want to be home with my dear wife and children ... every day I have a more religious feeling, that this war is a crusade for the good of mankind."

Howe's lyrics also capture the American view of war as a mission to protect and spread liberty. During the Civil War, many Northerners concluded that global freedom was endangered by a rapacious slave power. One private from Massachusetts wrote home to his wife: "I do feel that the liberty of the world is placed in our hands to defend."

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored;
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword;
His truth is marching on.

Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! (x3)
His truth is marching on.

I have seen Him in the watch fires of a hundred circling camps
They have builded Him an altar in the evening dews and damps;
I can read His righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps;
His day is marching on.

I have read a fiery Gospel writ in burnished rows of steel;
"As ye deal with My contemners, so with you My grace shall deal";
Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with His heel,
Since God is marching on.

He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat;
He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment seat;
Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! be jubilant, my feet;
Our God is marching on.

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free;
While God is marching on.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Not the catchiest lyrics tbh
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

lejend wrote:Image
I wonder how his slaves felt about his politics
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
A difference in religion, politics, or philosophy is no cause for escaping from your master.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Probably fans, I guess. The whole attitude toward slavery in that time period is strange. Many of the Founders who owned slaves saw it as a shady institution and hoped for its gradual disappearance. It wasn't until later in history that slavery became touted as a moral good and something the Southern states should be proud of.

But the ideals on which America was founded are fundamentally anti-slavery, even if the Founders couldn't immediately put that into practice. As Jonah Goldberg explains in Suicide of the West,

"The Founders didn’t follow through on this logic when it came to slavery—though many wanted to—but they lit the fuse on the bomb that would demolish such thinking."

Abolitionists defeated slavery not by rejecting the Founders' ideals, but by appealing to them. Later on, women, racial minorities and other groups did the same in their own quests for liberty and equality.
Frederick Douglass' reaction to Dred Scott
The finality of the founding ideals is a divinely revealed truth. Progress doesn't come by renouncing or somehow 'improving' on them; it can only come by striving to live up to them.

President Calvin Coolidge's speech on the 150th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, July 5, 1926:

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

The point I was making is that a difference in politics can absolutely be a valid reason for not being friends with someone.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Not unless the disagreement is rooted in something more than just politics. For example, wanting to make rape legal isn't just a political disagreement, it's a serious moral failing.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

lejend wrote:Not unless the disagreement is rooted in something more than just politics. For example, wanting to make rape legal isn't just a political disagreement, it's a serious moral failing.
You're drawing a line between those things but it doesn't really make sense
Howdah

Post by Amsel_ »

fightinfrenchman wrote:The point I was making is that a difference in politics can absolutely be a valid reason for not being friends with someone.
Would you be friends with me?