Lejend's little corner

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Re: Lejend's little corner

Post by Jotunir »

lejend wrote:
Jotunir wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Preaching against the jews is preaching against "the infinite value of individuals and the unity of the human race".
Right, but he's not preaching against Jews in the sermons and commentaries I posted; he's teaching the unity of the human race and the infinite value of each individual (including Jews), a truth he received from the Scriptures.

Calvin often failed to live out these principles because he, like all other human beings, was a sinful man affected by his era's prejudices and biases. None of this detracts from the truth or relevance of his teachings, nor should it stop us from giving credit where credit is due: at a time when the spirit of the age was against helping the stranger, Calvin served as a powerful, countercultural witness to God's concern for refugees. Regardless of Calvin's faults, this is something he should be commended for.
Tell that to Michael Servetus.
Calvin put his theology into practice in Geneva, which became known as a haven for refugees. By the early 1550s, almost half of Geneva was composed of refugees, crowded and contentious. The presence of the refugees in Geneva was a hot-button political issue. Many of the native residents of Geneva despised the refugees, seeing them as carrying diseases, stealing jobs, and leeching off of charity. They sought to enforce stringent regulations against the immigrants, restricting their right to vote for a long period, preventing them from gaining citizenship, and restricting their right to bear arms. These resentments eventually led to confrontation, riots, and violence against the refugees. The French immigrant ministers who worked with John Calvin were “sworn or spat at in the streets.”

John Calvin, on the other hand, was extremely sensitive to the plight of the refugees. He used the diaconal ministry to meet their pressing needs. The deacons in the church provided for refugees by administering charitable funds for them, providing them with jobs, and employing people to care for them. Calvin thus provides an inspiring example of how a Christian leader can be counter-cultural in seeing and meeting the needs of immigrants and refugees. To him, the fact that a stranger possessed the image of God was grounds enough to be kind and compassionate to him, even if he be worthless, contemptible, and undeserving.
"Thus ye see why Saint Paul saith expressly, that we must endeavor to do good to all men, yea even to such as are unworthy, even though they were our deadly enemies. Truly this is hard, and contrary to our inclination: but yet therein God trieth us so much the better. For if we do good to such as deserve it, or to such as are able to recompense it: it is no declaration or proof that we be willing to serve God: for it may be that we had respect to our own profit."

—John Calvin's sermon on Galatians 6:9-11
Tell that to Michael Servetus. I support the message of unity you are trying to send even though I am not fond of Calvin at all, I disagree with his profound antisemitism, nepotism and hypocrisy among other things. If you do not believe me, just look up what he did to his honourable friend Sebastian Castellio.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Jotunir wrote:Tell that to Michael Servetus. I support the message of unity you are trying to send even though I am not fond of Calvin at all, I disagree with his profound antisemitism, nepotism and hypocrisy among other things. If you do not believe me, just look up what he did to his honourable friend Sebastian Castellio.
You don't need to convince me. I'm not under the impression that Calvin was a sinless, perfect man -- far from it. I know he was a fallible human and subject to sin like the rest of us, but his personal failings don't detract from the truth or relevance of his teachings, which should be judged on their own merits.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

lejend wrote:
Jotunir wrote:Tell that to Michael Servetus. I support the message of unity you are trying to send even though I am not fond of Calvin at all, I disagree with his profound antisemitism, nepotism and hypocrisy among other things. If you do not believe me, just look up what he did to his honourable friend Sebastian Castellio.
You don't need to convince me. I'm not under the impression that Calvin was a sinless, perfect man -- far from it. I know he was a fallible human and subject to sin like the rest of us, but his personal failings don't detract from the truth or relevance of his teachings, which should be judged on their own merits.
I'm fallible but also not anti-Semitic
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

fightinfrenchman wrote:I'm fallible but also not anti-Semitic
Everyone breaks the law but they break it in different ways, depending on what appeals to them or what they can get away with. But everyone's a lawbreaker.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

lejend wrote:
Everyone breaks the law but they break it in different ways, depending on what appeals to them or what they can get away with. But everyone's a lawbreaker.
I often disobey parking laws but I'm also not anti-Semitic. Seems like I'm better than this guy
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
lejend wrote:
I often disobey parking laws but I'm also not anti-Semitic. Seems like I'm better than this guy
Well, now you're just adding pride to your list of crimes. That's not helping your case.

For all his faults, Calvin at least knew he had no righteousness of his own and that his only hope for salvation depended on God's mercy.
"Every man that is puffed up with self-confidence carries on open war with God, to whom we cannot be reconciled in any other way than by denial of ourselves; that is, by laying aside all confidence in our own virtue and righteousness, and relying on his mercy alone." - Calvin
Consider the Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector
Luke 18

9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

lejend wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Well, now you're just adding pride to your list of crimes. That's not helping your case.
Pride isn't a crime
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

fightinfrenchman wrote:Pride isn't a crime
“When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.” - Proverbs 11:2

“Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.” - Proverbs 16:18

“The LORD detests all the proud of heart. Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished.” - Proverbs 16:5

Pride is one of the greatest crimes a man can commit, because he arrogates to himself the honor and glory that belong to God alone. Pride is self-worship; it's the catalyst behind all rebellion against God and drives a person farther and farther away from repentance and reconciliation.
Psalm 10:4 explains that the proud are so consumed with themselves that their thoughts are far from God: “In his pride the wicked does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God.” This kind of haughty pride is the opposite of the spirit of humility that God seeks: “Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 5:3). The “poor in spirit” are those who recognize their utter spiritual bankruptcy and their inability to come to God aside from His divine grace. The proud, on the other hand, are so blinded by their pride that they think they have no need of God or, worse, that God should accept them as they are because they deserve His acceptance.

Pride has kept many people from accepting Jesus Christ as Savior. Admitting sin and acknowledging that in our own strength we can do nothing to inherit eternal life is a constant stumbling block for prideful people. We are not to boast about ourselves; if we want to boast, then we are to proclaim the glories of God. What we say about ourselves means nothing in God’s work. It is what God says about us that makes the difference (2 Corinthians 10:18).
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

lejend wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:Pride isn't a crime
“When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.” - Proverbs 11:2

“Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.” - Proverbs 16:18

“The LORD detests all the proud of heart. Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished.” - Proverbs 16:5

Pride is one of the greatest crimes a man can commit, because he arrogates to himself the honor and glory that belong to God alone. Pride is self-worship; it's the catalyst behind all rebellion against God and drives a person farther and farther away from repentance and reconciliation.
Psalm 10:4 explains that the proud are so consumed with themselves that their thoughts are far from God: “In his pride the wicked does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God.” This kind of haughty pride is the opposite of the spirit of humility that God seeks: “Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 5:3). The “poor in spirit” are those who recognize their utter spiritual bankruptcy and their inability to come to God aside from His divine grace. The proud, on the other hand, are so blinded by their pride that they think they have no need of God or, worse, that God should accept them as they are because they deserve His acceptance.

Pride has kept many people from accepting Jesus Christ as Savior. Admitting sin and acknowledging that in our own strength we can do nothing to inherit eternal life is a constant stumbling block for prideful people. We are not to boast about ourselves; if we want to boast, then we are to proclaim the glories of God. What we say about ourselves means nothing in God’s work. It is what God says about us that makes the difference (2 Corinthians 10:18).
Sounds like outright Satanism! :devil:
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

lejend wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Pride is one of the greatest crimes a man can commit
Not even close
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Omfg I just realised the Tower of Babel fable is about multiculturalism and how it fails

galaxy_brain.jpg
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

Has anyone ever had a paranormal encounter? :devilrazz:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Jotunir wrote:Has anyone ever had a paranormal encounter? :devilrazz:
No, nobody ever has
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
No, nobody ever has
I was just wondering, I like weird stories ;)
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

No, but when I was a kid I had a dejavu experience. I was sitting in the balcony in my folks' flat and was looking out the window. Then I suddenly had this strong impression that all this happened before.
I think I was 5 or 6, don't remember exactly when. I don't think I even knew how to read or write, so this thought didn't come from somebody else.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

Dolan wrote:
No, but when I was a kid I had a dejavu experience. I was sitting in the balcony in my folks' flat and was looking out the window. Then I suddenly had this strong impression that all this happened before.
I think I was 5 or 6, don't remember exactly when. I don't think I even knew how to read or write, so this thought didn't come from somebody else.
You've only had one dejavu experience in your life?
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Welp, that was the first and most memorable.
I suppose it happened a couple more times later on, but it wasn't so intense. And that one was so uncanny because I only had a few years, so there wasn't much memory from which I could have got a dejavu.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

Dolan wrote:Welp, that was the first and most memorable.
I suppose it happened a couple more times later on, but it wasn't so intense. And that one was so uncanny because I only had a few years, so there wasn't much memory from which I could have got a dejavu.
Huh, I reckon I feel it once or twice a year. Always thought it was normal to feel it so often but now I'm doubting that.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

I had a paranormal experience actually. I had a lapizlazuli cross necklace and I always wore it except when I took a shower, then I would take it out and put it in a wooden box in my room. I was showering one day and I heard a loud noise, but I didn't give it much importance then. When I got out of the shower, I couldn't find my necklace on my box or anywhere else for that matter. I kept looking everywhere, and I eventually found it broken in half on the living room floor under the sofa. Keep in mind that there was no one else home. It was weird, I still to this day can't explain how it got there and how it broke.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

CIA drones that glow in the dark
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

wardyb1 wrote:
Dolan wrote:Welp, that was the first and most memorable.
Huh, I reckon I feel it once or twice a year. Always thought it was normal to feel it so often but now I'm doubting that.
yeah I used to have about one every year when I was in school, but not as of late
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

I have a few a few myself
[Sith] - Baphomet
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

Man is god, the one who exerts his will to change the world around him. We are all images of God, the suchness of being itself which controls all without knowledge or thought. When Jesus said he was the son of God he did not mean he was the only one.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Dolan wrote:Omfg I just realised the Tower of Babel fable is about multiculturalism and how it fails

galaxy_brain.jpg
How so?
Yes

My thought on unexplained phenomena is that we live in a multiverse. Each universe is in a kind of bubble or wave. Sometimes the universes collide a bit, which causes an overlapping. Thus, we get weird unexplained things, such as ghosts, strange creatures, weird experiences, etc. Of course, some weird phenomena can be explained by people being overly tired, drugs, power of suggestion, mental illness, tricks of light and shadow, etc, but not everything fits into that box of "it's all in your head"
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html