Lejend's little corner

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Re: Lejend's little corner

Post by Dolan »

It's the same reflex to identify evil, uproot it, make an exemplary showing of it that ridicules it and then physically remove it.
That's probably a more general tendency people have, not necessarily found only in one culture.

Like in Alien, where evil has a face, but it's lurking behind walls, furniture, it's somewhere around the place, you can't tell where but you can feel it could show itself any moment.
And once it shows itself, the heroes do their job and try to physically remove it. And then it pops somewhere else.
The upshot being that you're constantly fighting evil that needs to have a face, it needs to show its monster face so you can fight something visible.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Me: *sobbing through tears* please stop... you can't just call everything Protestantism

Dolan: Twitter banning me is Protestantism
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Dolan wrote:It's the same reflex to identify evil, uproot it, make an exemplary showing of it that ridicules it and then physically remove it.
Putting kids in timeout = prison
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

lejend wrote:Me: *sobbing through tears* please stop... you can't just call everything Protestantism

Dolan: Twitter banning me is Protestantism
Well, these developments spring from the same river that branched off into multiple directions.
Some directions were secularised Protestant spirit, other more conservative, kept closer to the original river.
So it is possible that you getting banned from Twitter could be a form of secularised grandstanding, moralistic Protestantism. The revolution ate its own children many times.

The big idea behind Protestantism is rejecting a hierarchical social order, in which the truth is given from the center, the papacy, Vatican. And embracing the social model of a congregation of common faith.
Typically these faith congregations have been equalitarian, they rejected strict hierarchies among believers.

I'm sure you would dispute this, but I'm starting to think Marxism is a product of this equalitarian Protestant mindset. The same mindset produced both this aggressive capitalism and corporate shareholder mentality and the most equalitarian ideology ever conceived, that clearly has Christian roots, if we think of how early Christianism preached forsaking all material concerns and an equalitarian spiritualist view of people as 'brothers and sisters in Christ'.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

In Marxism, people are comrades united in the same belief in a common future society (salvation myth) that removes all the ills of today, under the banner of historical materialism.
The fundamental difference is that this Protestant spirit from Marxism is applied to the world of 'here and now', the material world, because Marx was influenced by a positivist Darwinian paradigm.
So Marxism is the equalitarian, congregational spirit of Protestantism combined with scientific materialism.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Dolan wrote:It's the same reflex to identify evil, uproot it, make an exemplary showing of it that ridicules it and then physically remove it.
You really don't see how cancel culture is similar to this impulse of exposing evil and removing it from among us? Seems self-evident.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Dolan wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
You really don't see how cancel culture is similar to this impulse of exposing evil and removing it from among us? Seems self-evident.
I do, that's why I think putting kids in timeout is similar to prison. Abolish parenthood
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Dolan wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I do, that's why I think putting kids in timeout is similar to prison. Abolish parenthood
It is similar, it's about punishment by isolation and exemplary shaming. You start small and then increase the punishment, based on gravity.
The analogy I made wasn't about the gravity of consequences but about the impulse to point your finger at "the evil ones" and exemplarily remove them from among us.
I didn't say the gravity of consequences was the same as burning them at the stake.
I thought that was obvious
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Dolan wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
It is similar, it's about punishment by isolation and exemplary shaming.
The analogy I made wasn't about the gravity of consequences but about the impulse to point your finger at "the evil ones" and exemplarily remove them from among us.
I didn't say the gravity of consequences was the same as burning them at the stake.
I thought that was obvious
I know. I was pointing out that your analogy, much like the Nazi one from the other thread (not from you though) was bad/useless
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Idk, it's useful to remind people how this impulse to point fingers at the evil ones and call for their removal in some form worked in the past.
Removal from digital platforms today can equal pretty much losing your livelihood. There have been people banned from using Paypal, Visa, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, when they used to make a living off using those platforms.

Yeah, I know all the yadda yadda about corporations having the right to remove you, whatever. And it could also be argued you shouldn't depend on these platforms to make a living. But such is the pathetic life of 'content creators' in the 21st century gig economy.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Yummargot
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

oh, and Sergeant... I'm not a Quaker
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Dolan wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Preying mantis families eat their parents
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

Horsemen wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
That's a strange way of fulfilling the commandment: "Honour thy father and thy mother" :food: :salt:
(If we, humans, did it)
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Jotunir wrote:
Horsemen wrote:
Show hidden quotes
That's a strange way of fulfilling the commandment: "Honour thy father and thy mother" :food: :salt:
(If we, humans, did it)
Are you even Chinese if you haven’t eaten at PF Chang’s Asian Bistro?
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

Horsemen wrote:
Jotunir wrote:
Show hidden quotes
(If we, humans, did it)
Are you even Chinese if you haven’t eaten at PF Chang’s Asian Bistro?
Deep question :hmm:
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Asleep in the deep
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

Horsemen wrote:Asleep in the deep
Davy Jones :pop: :ship:
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

The Anfal campaign, also known as the Anfal genocide or the Kurdish genocide, was a genocidal counterinsurgency operation carried out by Saddam Hussein that killed between 50,000 and 182,000 Kurds in the late 1980s. The campaign's purpose was to eliminate Kurdish rebel groups as well as to Arabize strategic parts of the Kirkuk Governorate.

The Halabja massacre, also known as the Halabja chemical attack, was a massacre of Kurdish people that took place on 16 March 1988. The attack was part of the Anfal Campaign in Iraqi Kurdistan.

The incident was the largest chemical weapons attack directed against a civilian-populated area in history, killing between 3,200 and 5,000 people and injuring 7,000 to 10,000 more, most of them civilians.

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Iraqi recalls brutal life under Saddam - Billings Gazette
A petite woman with long dark hair, May LaMotte speaks passionately about how hard life was under Saddam Hussein's dictatorship and her hopes for a democratic Iraq.

Living in Iraq under Saddam was "like being in prison with a death sentence and not knowing the execution date," she said.

"Saddam destroyed the personality of Iraqis," she said. "You couldn't walk with your head up and feel human. You had to watch yourself 24 hours a day."

Each day was a struggle to stay alive and out of jail. People could be arrested for off-handed remarks or casual jokes.

"It was torture to live under Saddam, but impossible to resist," she said.

An uprising against Saddam couldn't happen because no one trusted anyone else enough to organize a revolt, she said.

After one story circulated around Baghdad, even parents' relationships with their children were no longer sacred.

According to the account, during a visit to a residential neighborhood, Saddam was approached by a 6-year-old child who said that he knew the leader. When Saddam asked the child why he recognized the leader, the child said that every time Saddam was on television, his father spit at it.

The entire family, including the child and his father, were summarily executed in front of their neighbors.

After that, parents praised Saddam in front of their young children to protect the family, LaMotte said.

When the second Gulf War started, many Iraqis were ready for the bombing and even the possibility of people dying if it meant getting rid of Saddam.

"Under Saddam, we already were facing death," she said.

Getting rid of Saddam, no matter what followed, meant that the next generation would have a chance for a better life.

LaMotte wants Americans to know how much Iraqis appreciate U.S. efforts to liberate her country and bring democracy to it. Tears well in her eyes when she talks about Americans who lost their lives helping her country.

Today marks the 19th anniversary of Operation Iraqi Freedom

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

“A person's wisdom makes him slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense.” - Proverbs 19:11

“Anger, if not restrained, is frequently more hurtful to us than the injury that provokes it.” - Lucius Annaeus Seneca

“One of the most vulnerable times for us to sin is when we are first sinned against. We never feel more justified doing evil than when we are self-righteously confronting evil.” - Gary Thomas

“Of the Seven Deadly Sins, anger is possibly the most fun. To lick your wounds, to smack your lips over grievances long past, to roll over your tongue the prospect of bitter confrontations still to come, to savor to the last toothsome morsel both the pain you are given and the pain you are giving back--in many ways it is a feast fit for a king. The chief drawback is that what you are wolfing down is yourself. The skeleton at the feast is you.” - Frederick Buechner
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

@lejend My grandmother used to pray in front of a mirror by candlelight with incense and a rosary, she said she did it without the rosary once and something bad happened so she never did it again.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Jam wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 01:05
@lejend My grandmother used to pray in front of a mirror by candlelight with incense and a rosary, she said she did it without the rosary once and something bad happened so she never did it again.
Well, I can tell you that incense, rosaries, icons, relics, "holy water" and similar objects have no special power and there's no reason to think God is more pleased if he's invoked before such objects than otherwise. As Philip Melanchthon explains quite well:
Images of Christ and of the saints, that is, representations of their story by means of paintings and the like in churches and elsewhere, have, as Gregory says, been the books of the illiterate, that is, they explain the story like a written book. In itself this is a matter of indifference concerning which Christians should not quarrel.

Since, then, such representation provides for the illiterate the advantage of seeing and learning the stories as if from books, we do not reject pictures in themselves, nor do we abolish them; we do, however, reprove their misuse.

For we teach that images are not to be worshipped; nor is it to be thought that they have power; nor should people think that setting up images of God or of the saints is serving God, or that God is more gracious or does more than otherwise if He is invoked before such an image.

For God wants men to grasp Him only in faith through His Word and His sacraments; therefore it is a godless error to bind God to certain images without God’s Word. It is also a wicked error to think that a deed performed in front of such an image pleases God more than if done elsewhere; for we should believe that God in all places hears those who earnestly call upon Him. Hence Isaiah [66:1] reproves those who do not believe that God everywhere hears those who call upon Him in true spiritual worship, for he says that, even though the heaven is the Lord’s throne, yet God dwells “in him that is poor and of a contrite spirit”. Christ says [John 4:21, 23]: “Ye shall neither in this mountain nor yet at Jerusalem worship the Father…but…in spirit and in truth,” and Paul says [1 Tim. 2:8]: “I will that men pray everywhere”.

-Wittenberg Articles: Article XVII. Images
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

@legend , good to see some Melangthon getting pulled out. Not really read any of his work, but one of my friends did his research project on some of his writings.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

lejend wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 00:14

Well, I can tell you that incense, rosaries, icons, relics, "holy water" and similar objects have no special power and there's no reason to think God is more pleased if he's invoked before such objects than otherwise.
There's plenty of reasons to think that