Lejend's little corner

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Lejend's little corner

Post by lejend »

Acts 17

16 While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was greatly distressed to see that the city was full of idols. 17 So he reasoned in the synagogue with both Jews and God-fearing Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who happened to be there. 18 A group of Epicurean and Stoic philosophers began to debate with him. Some of them asked, “What is this babbler trying to say?” Others remarked, “He seems to be advocating foreign gods.” They said this because Paul was preaching the good news about Jesus and the resurrection. 19 Then they took him and brought him to a meeting of the Areopagus, where they said to him, “May we know what this new teaching is that you are presenting? 20 You are bringing some strange ideas to our ears, and we would like to know what they mean.” 21 (All the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there spent their time doing nothing but talking about and listening to the latest ideas.)

22 Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: “People of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23 For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: to an unknown god. So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship—and this is what I am going to proclaim to you.

24 “The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands. 25 And He is not served by human hands, as if He needed anything. Rather, He himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else. 26 From one man He made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and He marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. 27 God did this so that they would seek Him and perhaps reach out for Him and find Him, though He is not far from any one of us. 28 ‘For in Him we live and move and have our being.’[b] As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are His offspring.’[c]

b. From the Cretan philosopher Epimenides
c. From the Cilician Stoic philosopher Aratus

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: Lejend's little corner

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Superdreadnaught Rail Cannon Gustav Max
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

The Parable of the Prodigal Son

Luke 15

11 Jesus continued: “There was a man who had two sons. 12 The younger one said to his father, ‘Father, give me my share of the estate.’ So he divided his property between them.

13 “Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. 14 After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

17 “When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ 20 So he got up and went to his father.

“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21 “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_QCQ5i7NKs
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

What
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

I see superdreadnaught rail cannon Gustav Max, I like it
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

The Parable of the Unmerciful Servant

Matthew 18

21 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?”

22 Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.

23 “Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24 As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand bags of gold was brought to him. 25 Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt.

26 “At this the servant fell on his knees before him. ‘Be patient with me,’ he begged, ‘and I will pay back everything.’ 27 The servant’s master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go.

28 “But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred silver coins. He grabbed him and began to choke him. ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ he demanded.

29 “His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay it back.’

30 “But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. 31 When the other servants saw what had happened, they were outraged and went and told their master everything that had happened.

32 “Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33 Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ 34 In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.

35 “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Dl5dqLz5M
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

I love these texts
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

There's sand in my teeth
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

lejend wrote:https://youtu.be/RrRzED2vOHA?t=422

Great and moving speech, makes me wonder whether he wrote it himself.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Luke 14

7 When he noticed how the guests picked the places of honor at the table, he told them this parable: 8 “When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not take the place of honor, for a person more distinguished than you may have been invited. 9 If so, the host who invited both of you will come and say to you, ‘Give this person your seat.’ Then, humiliated, you will have to take the least important place. 10 But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, ‘Friend, move up to a better place.’ Then you will be honored in the presence of all the other guests. 11 For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

12 Then Jesus said to his host, “When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or sisters, your relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. 13 But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, 14 and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.”
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

So this is just bible study?
mad cuz bad
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

The Parable of the Rich Fool

Luke 12

13 Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.”

14 Jesus replied, “Man, who appointed me a judge or an arbiter between you?” 15 Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.”

16 And he told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. 17 He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’

18 “Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. 19 And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’

20 “But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’

21 “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.”
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Imagine Slifer, the Sky Dragon with Toon Summoned Skull in his teeth
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Obilisk the Tormentor was the coolest Pokemon
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Horsemen wrote:Obilisk the Tormentor was the coolest Pokemon

Imagine him with sand in his teeth
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

The Parable of the Shrewd Manager

Luke 16

16 Jesus told his disciples: “There was a rich man whose manager was accused of wasting his possessions. 2 So he called him in and asked him, ‘What is this I hear about you? Give an account of your management, because you cannot be manager any longer.’

3 “The manager said to himself, ‘What shall I do now? My master is taking away my job. I’m not strong enough to dig, and I’m ashamed to beg— 4 I know what I’ll do so that, when I lose my job here, people will welcome me into their houses.’

5 “So he called in each one of his master’s debtors. He asked the first, ‘How much do you owe my master?’

6 “‘Nine hundred gallons of olive oil,’ he replied.

“The manager told him, ‘Take your bill, sit down quickly, and make it four hundred and fifty.’

7 “Then he asked the second, ‘And how much do you owe?’

“‘A thousand bushels of wheat,’ he replied.

“He told him, ‘Take your bill and make it eight hundred.’

8 “The master commended the dishonest manager because he had acted shrewdly. For the people of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own kind than are the people of the light. 9 I tell you, use worldly wealth to gain friends for yourselves, so that when it is gone, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings.

10 “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. 11 So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches? 12 And if you have not been trustworthy with someone else’s property, who will give you property of your own?
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

1 Timothy 2:12 "But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence." :|
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

XeeleeFlower wrote:1 Timothy 2:12 "But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence." :|

Is this something that bothers you?

The passage in question doesn't do justice to Paul's view of women and their role in ministry, which was actually very high (see Romans 16 for example), and Christianity has always stressed the ontological equality and infinite worth of every human being, whether male or female. The reason you find the passage so disconcerting is precisely because you've inherited a Christian understanding of the equal worth of men and women, whether you consciously realize it or not.

While genuine male or even female supremacists exist, that's not a mainstream position. On gender relations, most Christian views can be subsumed under two broad schools of thought: complementarianism and egalitarianism. Neither side is motivated by anti-female animus, and both sides can find ample support for their views in Scripture. The Biblical scholar N.T. Wright presents an egalitarian interpretation of 1 Timothy 2 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRbYXILFeBA

Here's also an article about it from an egalitarian perspective:

5 reasons to stop using 1 Timothy 2:12 against women

There's no consensus on the meaning of the passage, and there's liberals and conservatives on both sides of the debate. As with any other passage, it's common for people to read into it not what it actually says, but what they want it to say, so two people with diametrically opposite understandings of gender roles could read this passage and reach different conclusions about its meaning.

Often people will have a preordained conclusion in mind -- whether on gender relations, politics, or any other issue -- and will then delve into Scripture in search of passages to support their views, but these passages are little more than post-hoc rationalizations and not what actually grounds their beliefs. That said, most people on both sides of the debate are likely well-intentioned and possess no animus toward women.

Ultimately, issues of church order and the like aren't essentials of the faith, so whether or not you believe women can teach men in church or what have you, it doesn't necessarily take you out of the faith. Christianity isn't a matter of affirming this or that proposition, as if the more educated you are about obscure doctrines the more Christian you are. Christianity is fundamentally a matter of faith (i.e. trust) in Christ, and most other issues that people get worked up about are really non-essentials, so long as you have a clean conscience.

So, it could be that God's will is for women not to be leaders in the church, but someone who affirms a correct doctrine for the wrong reasons (like anti-woman animus), is in worse shape than someone who adheres to an incorrect doctrine but possesses a clean conscience; that is, he believes in the false doctrine purely out of ignorance, not willful rebellion against God. That's why we say, "salvation is by faith, not by belief that salvation is by faith." As the Bible says, "even the demons believe", but it won't save them.
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

lejend is wholesome af
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

great to have you back @legend krgds from Dietschland
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

I

historically, discursively constructed and always relative to other categories that themselves change; “women” is a volatile collectivity in which female persons can be very differently positioned, so that the apparent continuity of the subject of “women” isn’t to be relied upon;