Lejend's little corner

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Re: Lejend's little corner

Post by lejend »

A story from Assad's dungeons

Part 1:

Part 2:

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

@lejend Where did you find this?
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

fightinfrenchman wrote:@lejend Where did you find this?
Twitter
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

lejend wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:@lejend Where did you find this?
Twitter
Link pleashe
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Map of Europe in May 1941.

”I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our Island home, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone. At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of His Majesty's Government-every man of them. That is the will of Parliament and the nation. The British Empire and the French Republic, linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their native soil, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength. Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.”

- Winston Churchill, June 4, 1940

Standing ovation for the 44 veterans in the Royal Albert Hall representing the World War II generation, aka the 'Greatest Generation'

United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

Also Churchill: "And we’ll fight them with the butt ends of broken beer bottles because that's bloody well all we've got!"
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

"Remember that you have only one soul; that you have only one death to die; that you have only one life, which is short and has to be lived by you alone; and there is only one glory, which is eternal. If you do this, there will be many things about which you care nothing."

~ Teresa of Ávila

"Time is short, and is passing quickly away, yet a few years, and we shall be all dead and gone. The trees perhaps are cut down out of which our coffins will be made... Eternity draws near. There ought to be no trifling. What, what is your hope about your soul?"

~ J.C. Ryle
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Valentine of Rome

A Christian clergyman in Rome, Valentine was known for assisting Christians persecuted under Claudius II. After being caught marrying Christian couples and helping Christians escape the persecution, Valentine was arrested and imprisoned. Although Emperor Claudius originally liked Valentine, he was condemned to death when he tried to convert the emperor. Valentine was beaten with stones, clubbed, and, finally, beheaded on February 14, 269. In the year 496, February 14 was named as a day of celebration in Valentine’s honor.

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Vitalis of Gaza

A 7th-century hermit, Vitalis lived in the desert until he was 60, when he moved to Alexandria to work as a day laborer, earning only enough money to hire a different prostitute each night.

The Christians of Alexandria were appalled by this behavior, and denounced him to the patriarch (archbishop) of Alexandria. However often they complained, though, the patriarch insisted that they mind their own business. Unable to stop Vitalis themselves, they could do nothing but treat him with disgust.

One time, emerging from a brothel, the monk encountered a young man going there -- a prodigal fellow, who with an insult struck him on the cheek and cried out, that the monk was a disgrace to the Name of Christ. A little while afterwards, Vitalis went back to his small cell and in it at night he died.

When the youth finally came to his senses after several hours, he rushed off to the cell of the monk, calling out: “Have mercy on me, O servant of God, for I have sinned against thee.” Then the youth knocked on the door of the cell, but he received no answer. When he broke in the door, he saw that the monk was dead. In his hand was a scroll with the words: “Men of Alexandria, judge not beforehand, til cometh the Lord, the Righteous Judge.” (1 Corinthians 4:5)

At his funeral, dozens--perhaps hundreds--of reformed prostitutes wept. Each testified that she owed her soul to Vitalis, who had come to her room, handed her all the money he had, and said, "Here is your money. I want to buy you one night without sin."

"Why are you doing this?" they would ask.

"Because you are loved. You are worth more than what you have done or what has been done to you. Because Jesus died to save you and set you free from sin. Because he delights in you."

He would teach her about her dignity and value as a woman and that she did not deserve to be used by men as an object of their lust. He would then pray with her and for her, read Scripture to her, offer to arrange a marriage or find a monastery for her and earn her a dowry.

The only thing he asked was that they keep quiet about what he had done. If his good deeds had been known, after all, he would have been barred entry to the women he wanted to serve.

So he submitted to ignominy, willingly offering his reputation for the sake of their souls.

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

A modern take on the Parable of the Good Samaritan
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Jesus, the Suffering Servant

Romans 8

14 For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. 15 The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” 16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. 17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

91768252_1068713810154733_2788242676359626752_n.png
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

The Resurrection of Lazarus

“I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, yet shall he live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die.” ~ John 11:25-26

In John, this is the last of the miracles that Jesus performs before his Passion.

The whole scene is sublime:

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Matthew 25

Homeless Jesus is a bronze sculpture by Canadian sculptor Timothy Schmalz that depicts Jesus as a homeless person, sleeping on a park bench. His face and hands are obscured, hidden under a blanket, but crucifixion wounds on his feet reveal his identity.

The statue has been described as a "visual translation" of the Gospel of Matthew passage in which Jesus tells his disciples, "as you did it to one of the least of my brothers, you did it to me".

Reception of the statue has been mixed. According to NPR, "The reaction [to the cast in Davidson, North Carolina] was immediate. Some loved it; some didn't." Some Davidson residents felt it was an "insulting depiction" of Jesus that "demeaned" the neighborhood. One Davidson resident called police the first time she saw it, mistaking the statue for a real homeless person. Another neighbor wrote a letter, saying it "[creeped] him out". However, according to Rev. David Buck, residents are often seen sitting on the bench alongside the statue, resting their hands on Jesus and praying.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

What does the bible say about Covid 19?
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Horsemen wrote:What does the bible say about Covid 19?
Same as it says about Covids 1 through 18: nothing at all. But instead of asking why the virus (or any other cause of suffering) exists, a better question might be "how long?" (answer: not forever) or "what can we gain from it?" (quite a lot).

In his Pensées, Blaise Pascal talks about the misery of man without God, and how we avoid thinking about it by filling our lives with distractions:

Suffering can be very valuable, because it jolts us out of our stupor, it takes away our distractions and forces us to think about the important questions in life, which we naturally avoid out of fear and ignorance. For this reason a life or period of suffering can be a huge blessing, while a 'good' life full of distractions from God can turn out to be quite a curse.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

lejend wrote:
Same as it says about Covids 1 through 18: nothing at all. But instead of asking why the virus (or any other cause of suffering) exists, a better question might be "how long?" (answer: not forever) or "what can we gain from it?" (quite a lot).

In his Pensées, Blaise Pascal talks about the misery of man without God, and how we avoid thinking about it by filling our lives with distractions:

Suffering can be very valuable, because it jolts us out of our stupor, it takes away our distractions and forces us to think about the important questions in life, which we naturally avoid out of fear and ignorance. For this reason a life or period of suffering can be a huge blessing, while a 'good' life full of distractions from God can turn out to be quite a curse.
this is why I cut myself
Canada Jam
Jaeger

Post by Jam »

Horsemen wrote:
lejend wrote:

this is why I cut myself
This is why I cut other people.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Jam wrote:
Horsemen wrote:
Show hidden quotes
this is why I cut myself
This is why I spread jam on toast with sadistic glee.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Dolan wrote:
Jam wrote:
Show hidden quotes
This is why I spread jam on toast with sadistic glee.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Jesus heals a man born blind

John 9

As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2 His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”

3 “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him. 4 As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. 5 While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”

6 After saying this, he spit on the ground, made some mud with the saliva, and put it on the man’s eyes. 7 “Go,” he told him, “wash in the Pool of Siloam” (this word means “Sent”). So the man went and washed, and came home seeing.

Canada Jam
Jaeger

Post by Jam »

A priest an imam and a rabbit walk into a blood bank. The rabbit says "I think I'm a type-O".
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Omg omg omg omg omg Jam and legend in same thread :love:
Fine line to something great is a strange change.