Lejend's little corner

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Re: Lejend's little corner

Post by chris1089 »

Sounds like we agree that the shift in culture is due to more fundamental matters @Dolan . I didn't really get into what changed the cultural shift. Maybe we can discuss in 8 days+?
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

If you had zero information from the media on how rich some people are, how would you feel "inequality has deepened"? Did you feel, as time went by, that you were making less than your neighbours, or family, or people from work?
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

But what if you didn't have access to any information? Then how would you feel
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

What is the threshold beyond which you'd say "oh no, this is too much". If they all had maximum 50m bucks would you still feel there was "too much inequality"? What about 12.31m? 1.4?
What is the exact sum below which you'd think their wealth level is ok for you?

Do other types of inequality bother you also? Like height inequality or intelligence inequality?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Dolan wrote:What is the threshold beyond which you'd say "oh no, this is too much". If they all had maximum 50m bucks would you still feel there was "too much inequality"? What about 12.31m? 1.4?
What is the exact sum below which you'd think their wealth level is ok for you?

Do other types of inequality bother you also? Like height inequality or intelligence inequality?
Yes, they all bother me. The world of Harrison Bergeron is my ideal society
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

You said you feel inequality has deepened. It seemed from the way you said it that this bothers you, right? So I assumed there must be a level of inequality that wouldn't bother you. Or do you think any degree of inequality is wrong?

I dunno, I think they're pretty reasonable questions, I'm just trying to understand why people have this attitude towards perceived inequality. Maybe it's because you feel you're living from paycheck to paycheck, while some others have it too ez.
And from this perception, you attribute the source of your hardship to inequality in wealth.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Review - Tom Holland "Dominion: The Making of the Western Mind"
Tom Holland is an unbeliever and also someone who was raised a Christian. And he too is someone who abandoned that belief early in life: he blames a fascination with dinosaurs – a gateway drug for many a budding young historian and religious sceptic. But in his latest book he turns his attention to Christianity’s impact on western thinking and to what will be, to many, an uncomfortable thesis. He argues that most of the things that we consider to be intrinsic and instinctive human values are actually nothing of the sort; they are primarily and fundamentally the product of Christianity and would not exist without the last 2000 years of Christian dominance on our culture. ...

Today, the idea that we should care for others, help the weak, give to assist the needy and feel sorrow at the afflictions of the vulnerable and exploited is thought to be normal and obvious. TV ads for charities and aid organisations do not have to argue all humans have a right to dignity by merit of being human, they simply assume we all understand this. So it is difficult for us to imagine how radical it was for people like Gregory and Macrina or the others Holland highlights in this part of his book (Martin of Tours, Paulinus of Nola) to help the helpless purely because they recognised the paradox of a divine Christ as a suffering human being in these fellow humans. Rich people had done good works before. Ancient nobles were expected to endow great public buildings, hold games, races and gladiatorial shows, give free grain and bread to the populace of their city or support centres of learning or healing. But this was because that was seen as reflecting their dignitas and to *their* glory and esteem. It was not because they saw the people these acts assisted as their equals, equally reflecting the divine and so intrinsically worthy of equal dignity. That idea would have been alien, bizarre and even repellant. The fact that it is familiar, normal and attractive to us shows, as Holland argues, that we are like fish swimming in essentially Christian water. We barely even notice we are doing it.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

he writes like metis actually
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Rationalisations.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

yeah it's almost like you can rationalize anything you want to.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

:hmm: I wonder if I could fast-forward in time and post something after SirCallen would tell me not to post it.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

just don't post it at all
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

stick to essays mate
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Stick to ramblings, m9.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

yeah I actually love rambling, what can I say
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

deleted_user wrote:yeah it's almost like you can rationalize anything you want to.
2+2=3
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

deleted_user wrote:yeah it's almost like you can rationalize anything you want to.
G.K Chesterton often used to propose a seemingly ridiculous statement and then prove it was true.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

The Sermon on the Mount

Matthew 5 to 7

Now when Jesus saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, 2 and he began to teach them.

The Beatitudes

He said:

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Salt and Light

13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

14 “You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

Murder

21 “You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder,’ and ‘Anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ 22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, ‘Raca,’ will be subject to the Sanhedrin. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.

23 “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.

Adultery

27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

Eye for Eye

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Love for Enemies

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48 You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

The Narrow and Wide Gates

13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

True and False Disciples

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

The Wise and Foolish Builders

24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29 because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

@lejend I downloaded a "verse of the day" app recently and I've been disappointed by the results. Share the best verses with me
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

fightinfrenchman wrote:@lejend I downloaded a "verse of the day" app recently
Really? I'm almost proud
and I've been disappointed by the results. Share the best verses with me
They're all good. You'll just have to read them in context, because what gives a verse its quality is the meaning behind it rather than its literary structure. Isolated verses detached from the overall message won't be very impressive.