Lejend's little corner

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Re: Lejend's little corner

Post by lejend »

fightinfrenchman wrote:Abusive relationship tbh
It would seem that way. But the story doesn't end there.
“Though you slay me, yet I will praise you.” Through Christ, Christians can not only say this in their deepest suffering — they can sing it.

The lyrics are from Job, but they’re interrupted halfway through by a few short words from John Piper about the meaningfulness of suffering.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Jesus and the Samaritan woman

John 4

4 Now he had to go through Samaria. 5 So he came to a town in Samaria called Sychar, near the plot of ground Jacob had given to his son Joseph. 6 Jacob’s well was there, and Jesus, tired as he was from the journey, sat down by the well. It was about noon.

7 When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, “Will you give me a drink?” 8 (His disciples had gone into the town to buy food.)

9 The Samaritan woman said to him, “You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?” (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.)

“We who formerly hated and murdered one another and did not even share our hearth with those of a different tribe..., after Christ’s appearance, live together and share the same table. Now we pray for our enemies and try to win those who hate us.”

–Justin Martyr, First Apology (155–157 A.D.)
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Have we not had this one before?
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

@chris1089 nope
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

I think you are right @lejend . My favourite post of yours is still the one from a few pages back with the J.C.Ryle quote on the true church.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Can we show all the posts in this thread on one page?
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

There might be an option for it in the User Control Panel but I can't seem to find it right now
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

lejend wrote:There might be an option for it in the User Control Panel but I can't seem to find it right now
the mods should make ti the default option
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

That sounds cool on the face of it, but it means each thread would need to have all the posts loaded in one single page, including any external resources.
Imagine tens of (http) requests for external resources being made by the browser at the same time, like Youtube vids, pics, tweets, etc. The page would load a basic layout then gradually fill every resource box as it finishes loading. The page would also jump around a lot, since every loaded resource would change the height of the page, causing the whole page to get reflowed again. Tens of times. :biggrin:

There would be such a big workload on such a single page, it would drain your phone's battery like 1% per each loading event. Or take up a big amount of RAM on your PC, slowing down other stuff.

That idea only works on text-only boards, especially those that have threaded topics, which you can collapse and expand by clicking. There it could actually work, since text can load quite fast.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Dolan wrote:That sounds cool on the face of it, but it means each thread would need to have all the posts loaded in one single page, including any external resources.
Imagine tens of (http) requests for external resources being made by the browser at the same time, like Youtube vids, pics, tweets, etc. The page would load a basic layout then gradually fill every resource box as it finishes loading. The page would also jump around a lot, since every loaded resource would change the height of the page, causing the whole page to get reflowed again. Tens of times. :biggrin:

There would be such a big workload on such a single page, it would drain your phone's battery like 1% per each loading event. Or take up a big amount of RAM on your PC, slowing down other stuff.

That idea only works on text-only boards, especially those that have threaded topics, which you can collapse and expand by clicking. There it could actually work, since text can load quite fast.
Nah
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

Horsemen wrote:Can we show all the posts in this thread on one page?
I would like not to be able to see any of them. :devil:
[Sith] - Baphomet
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Snuden wrote:
make your own thread in that case
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

Horsemen wrote:
Snuden wrote:
I already have my own corner.
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Snuden wrote:
Horsemen wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Every member should have their own corner. Turn ESOC into the new MySpace
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

lejend wrote:
Snuden wrote:
Show hidden quotes
@EAGLEMUT When someone makes a new thread they should be able to have their choice of music automatically play when people open it
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
lejend wrote:
Show hidden quotes
@EAGLEMUT When someone makes a new thread they should be able to have their choice of music automatically play when people open it
yes, and also their own website skin
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

fightinfrenchman wrote:@EAGLEMUT When someone makes a new thread they should be able to have their choice of music automatically play when people open it
Horsemen wrote:yes, and also their own website skin
The potential for abuse is high but I think the benefits far outweigh the costs
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Walking in sandals on the filthy roads of Israel in the first century made it imperative that feet be washed before a communal meal, especially since people reclined at a low table and feet were very much in evidence. When Jesus rose from the table and began to wash the feet of the disciples, he was doing the work of the lowliest of servants. The disciples must have been stunned at this act of humility and condescension, that Christ, their Lord and master, should wash the feet of his disciples, when it was their proper work to have washed his.

Jesus Washes His Disciples’ Feet

John 13

It was just before the Passover Festival. Jesus knew that the hour had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end.

2 The evening meal was in progress, and the devil had already prompted Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, to betray Jesus. 3 Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; 4 so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. 5 After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.

6 He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?”

7 Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.”

8 “No,” said Peter, “you shall never wash my feet.”

Jesus answered, “Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.”

9 “Then, Lord,” Simon Peter replied, “not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!”

10 Jesus answered, “Those who have had a bath need only to wash their feet; their whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you.” 11 For he knew who was going to betray him, and that was why he said not every one was clean.

12 When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. 13 “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. 15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16 Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17 Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.”
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Horsemen wrote:
I've had his book on my to-read list for a few months now. Great talk. I like his suggestion at the end to "think and speak a little differently about how we live together." Simple yet surprisingly powerful. It's like Reagan said, "all great change begins at the dinner table."
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

This meme was inspired by a recent forum controversy

When you ask Jesus if he's heard of the 'Old Testament God'

Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

This is the kind of post that makes me wish I was more sparing with my likes in order to give greater value to the posts I particularly like.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

chris1089 wrote:This is the kind of post that makes me wish I was more sparing with my likes in order to give greater value to the posts I particularly like.
Every like is of infinite value tbqh ngl
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

John 16

29 Then Jesus’ disciples said, “Now you are speaking clearly and without figures of speech. 30 Now we know that you know all things and do not need anyone to question you; this is why we believe that you came from God.”

31 “Do you now believe?” Jesus replied. 32 “A time is coming and in fact has come when you will be scattered, each to your own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me.

33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

Educating ESOC on the doctrine of the trinity.