Lejend's little corner

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Re: Lejend's little corner

Post by lejend »

Algernon Sidney (1623–1683); Whig hero and martyr to royal tyranny
Born in England, Sidney returned home after military service in Ireland and joined in the escalating conflicts that became the English Civil War. He took up arms for Parliament against King Charles I, and he later served in the House of Commons during the short-lived Commonwealth, where he was active in foreign affairs.

After the return of the Stuart royals, Sidney spent most of the Restoration in exile. He came home in 1677, after which he helped his friend and former campaign manager William Penn craft the colonial constitution for Pennsylvania.
By 1681 Charles II had gained the upper hand, and Whigs feared that he planned to anoint his Catholic brother James, the Duke of York, as his successor.

Sidney was arrested in 1683 for suspicion in the Rye House Plot, a scheme to kill the king and duke. Sidney may have been involved, but there was no real evidence against him. Charles stacked the jury with royalists and rigged the trial.

Sidney was later charged with plotting against Charles II, in part based on his most famous work, Discourses Concerning Government, used by the prosecution as a witness at his trial. He was executed for treason.

The works of Algernon Sidney, along with those of contemporary John Locke, are considered a cornerstone of western thought. Discourses Concerning Government cost Sidney his head. However, the ideas it put forth survived and ultimately culminated in the founding of the United States. ... Discourses Concerning Government has been called "the textbook of the American revolution."

Sidney had a significant effect on the American conception of liberty. He was a hero of John Trenchard and Thomas Gordon, "the best-read and most widely regarded pamphleteers of prerevolutionary times." ... Thomas Jefferson believed Sidney and Locke to be the two primary sources for the Founding Fathers' view of liberty.

Sidney became widely used as a given name in the United States after the American Revolution due to admiration for Algernon Sidney as a martyr to royal tyranny.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

On this day, 245 years ago, Thomas Jefferson spoke of the "palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately."
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness—-That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.
Thus a new nation was born, dedicated to the proposition that all human beings are creatures of God with imperishable dignity and inalienable rights.

America's liberal founding is what makes it exceptional among the nations of the world. What's so special about liberalism? President Herbert Hoover explains:

President Calvin Coolidge recognized the finality of America's founding ideals:

Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

And look where it is today: financial feudalism.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Psalm 73
A psalm of Asaph.

1 Surely God is good to Israel,
to those who are pure in heart.

2 But as for me, my feet had almost slipped;
I had nearly lost my foothold.
3 For I envied the arrogant
when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

4 They have no struggles;
their bodies are healthy and strong.
5 They are free from common human burdens;
they are not plagued by human ills.
6 Therefore pride is their necklace;
they clothe themselves with violence.
7 From their callous hearts comes iniquity;
their evil imaginations have no limits.
8 They scoff, and speak with malice;
with arrogance they threaten oppression.
9 Their mouths lay claim to heaven,
and their tongues take possession of the earth.
10 Therefore their people turn to them
and drink up waters in abundance.
11 They say, “How would God know?
Does the Most High know anything?”

12 This is what the wicked are like—
always free of care, they go on amassing wealth.

13 Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure
and have washed my hands in innocence.
14 All day long I have been afflicted,
and every morning brings new punishments.

15 If I had spoken out like that,
I would have betrayed your children.
16 When I tried to understand all this,
it troubled me deeply
17 till I entered the sanctuary of God;
then I understood their final destiny.

18 Surely you place them on slippery ground;
you cast them down to ruin.
19 How suddenly are they destroyed,
completely swept away by terrors!
20 They are like a dream when one awakes;
when you arise, Lord,
you will despise them as fantasies.

21 When my heart was grieved
and my spirit embittered,
22 I was senseless and ignorant;
I was a brute beast before you.

23 Yet I am always with you;
you hold me by my right hand.
24 You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will take me into glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever.

27 Those who are far from you will perish;
you destroy all who are unfaithful to you.
28 But as for me, it is good to be near God.
I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge;
I will tell of all your deeds.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Dolan wrote:And look where it is today: financial feudalism.
yes, communism created financial feudalism in the eastern european states
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Horsemen wrote:
I've studied this a bit at uni and also been told lots of first-hand stories by my parents. Apparently, the communist elites were enjoying a higher living standard than the plebs, but that was mostly because of the all-too-familiar tendency of political elites (of any ideological background) to give themselves perks, just because they're the ones portioning out the public resources pie. Overall, though, since the country was poorer, at best, the lifestyle of communist elites was comparable to that of a middle-class family from the West.
The president's salary was like 1200 bucks in 1989 prices and currency rates. That was the highest income in the country.

It's actually the period that followed communism which created financial fiefdoms in Romania, since the previous communist elites had all the connections and the know-how to secure capital in the new market economy and build their own private empires. The richest Romanians after 1989 had all been connected to the Communist secret services, either directly or through family.
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Dolan wrote:
Horsemen wrote:
I've studied this a bit at uni and also been told lots of first-hand stories by my parents. Apparently, the communist elites were enjoying a higher living standard than the plebs, but that was mostly because of the all-too-familiar tendency of political elites (of any ideological background) to give themselves perks, just because they're the ones portioning out the public resources pie. Overall, though, since the country was poorer, at best, the lifestyle of communist elites was comparable to that of a middle-class family from the West.
The president's salary was like 1200 bucks in 1989 prices and currency rates. That was the highest income in the country.

It's actually the period that followed communism which created financial fiefdoms in Romania, since the previous communist elites had all the connections and the know-how to secure capital in the new market economy and build their own private empires. The richest Romanians after 1989 had all been connected to the Communist secret services, either directly or through family.
Sounds like a dream, if only we could go back to that time when the president earned 1200 dollars
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Horsemen wrote:Sounds like a dream, if only we could go back to that time when the president earned 1200 dollars
President Mujica has shunned the luxurious house that the Uruguayan state provides for its leaders and opted to stay at his wife's farmhouse, off a dirt road outside the capital, Montevideo.
The president and his wife work the land themselves, growing flowers.
This austere lifestyle - and the fact that Mujica donates about 90% of his monthly salary, equivalent to $12,000 (£7,500), to charity - has led him to be labelled the poorest president in the world.
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-20243493
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

Dolan wrote:
Horsemen wrote:Sounds like a dream, if only we could go back to that time when the president earned 1200 dollars
President Mujica has shunned the luxurious house that the Uruguayan state provides for its leaders and opted to stay at his wife's farmhouse, off a dirt road outside the capital, Montevideo.
The president and his wife work the land themselves, growing flowers.
This austere lifestyle - and the fact that Mujica donates about 90% of his monthly salary, equivalent to $12,000 (£7,500), to charity - has led him to be labelled the poorest president in the world.
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-20243493
That's more like a nightmare.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Psalm 37
Of David.

1 Do not fret because of those who are evil
or be envious of those who do wrong;
2 for like the grass they will soon wither,
like green plants they will soon die away.

3 Trust in the Lord and do good;
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
4 Take delight in the Lord,
and he will give you the desires of your heart.

5 Commit your way to the Lord;
trust in him and he will do this:
6 He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn,
your vindication like the noonday sun.

7 Be still before the Lord
and wait patiently for him;
do not fret when people succeed in their ways,
when they carry out their wicked schemes.

8 Refrain from anger and turn from wrath;
do not fret—it leads only to evil.
9 For those who are evil will be destroyed,
but those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land.

10 A little while, and the wicked will be no more;
though you look for them, they will not be found.
11 But the meek will inherit the land
and enjoy peace and prosperity.

12 The wicked plot against the righteous
and gnash their teeth at them;
13 but the Lord laughs at the wicked,
for he knows their day is coming.

14 The wicked draw the sword
and bend the bow
to bring down the poor and needy,
to slay those whose ways are upright.
15 But their swords will pierce their own hearts,
and their bows will be broken.

35 I have seen a wicked and ruthless man
flourishing like a luxuriant native tree,
36 but he soon passed away and was no more;
though I looked for him, he could not be found.

37 Consider the blameless, observe the upright;
a future awaits those who seek peace.
38 But all sinners will be destroyed;
there will be no future for the wicked.

39 The salvation of the righteous comes from the Lord;
he is their stronghold in time of trouble.
40 The Lord helps them and delivers them;
he delivers them from the wicked and saves them,
because they take refuge in him.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Titus 3

3 At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. 4 But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, 6 whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

"Jesus promises that whoever believes receives the Holy Spirit... You needn’t worry about feeling the Spirit. He is with you. The Spirit’s work is usually quiet. Unnoticed even. But one day you realize, I’m not the person I used to be."
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

LaVey 666,

8. Celebrating the So-Called Sins

Satan champions the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental or emotional gratification. In general, the concept of “sin” is something that breaks a moral or religious law, and Satanism is strictly against such following of dogma. When a Satanist avoids an action, it is because of concrete reasoning, not simply because dogma dictates it or someone has judged it “bad."

In addition, when a Satanist realizes that he or she has committed an actual wrong, the correct response is to accept it, learn from it and avoid doing it again--not to mentally beat yourself up for it or beg for forgiveness.
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

I know, every Christian is a former Satanist, it's the default state of humanity. But there's no profit in it.

Romans 6

20 When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness. 21 What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death. 22 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

"It is a bad world, Donatus, an incredibly bad world. But I have discovered in the midst of it a quiet and good people who have learned the great secret of life. They have found a joy and wisdom which is a thousand times better than any of the pleasures of our sinful lives. They are despised and persecuted, but they care not. They are masters of their souls. They have overcome the world. These people, Donatus, are Christians. . . and I am one of them."

—Cyprian of Carthage, martyr (c. 200-258)
Cyprian was born to a wealthy pagan Berber (Roman African) family sometime during the early third century. He grew up outside of the Christian faith, converting to Christianity only later in life after a dissipated youth. After his baptism, he gave away his wealth to the poor of Carthage and led a life of chastity and devotion to God.
"I myself was held in bonds by the innumerable errors of my previous life, from which I did not believe I could possibly be delivered, so I was disposed to acquiesce in my clinging vices and to indulge my sins; and because I despaired of better things, I used to indulge my sins as if they were actually parts of me, and indigenous to me.

"But after that, by the agency of the Spirit breathed from heaven, a second birth restored me to a new man. Then, in a wondrous manner every doubt began to fade... I clearly understood that what had first lived within me, enslaved by the vices of the flesh, was earthly and that what, instead, the Holy Spirit had wrought within me was divine and heavenly."
At the end of 256 a new persecution of the Christians broke out under Emperor Valerian. Cyprian was brought before the Roman proconsul Aspasius Paternus on August 30, 257. He refused to sacrifice to the pagan deities and firmly professed Christ.

On September 13, 258, Cyprian was imprisoned on the orders of the new proconsul, Galerius Maximus. The public examination of Cyprian by Galerius Maximus, on 14 September 258, has been preserved:
Galerius Maximus: "Are you Thascius Cyprianus?"
Cyprian: "I am."
Galerius: "The most sacred Emperors have commanded you to conform to the Roman rites."
Cyprian: "I refuse."
Galerius: "Take heed for yourself."
Cyprian: "Do as you are bid; in so clear a case I may not take heed."
Galerius, after briefly conferring with his judicial council, with much reluctance pronounced the following sentence: "You have long lived an irreligious life, and have drawn together a number of men bound by an unlawful association, and professed yourself an open enemy to the gods and the religion of Rome; and the pious, most sacred and august Emperors ... have endeavoured in vain to bring you back to conformity with their religious observances; whereas therefore you have been apprehended as principal and ringleader in these infamous crimes, you shall be made an example to those whom you have wickedly associated with you; the authority of law shall be ratified in your blood."
He then read the sentence of the court from a written tablet: "It is the sentence of this court that Thascius Cyprianus be executed with the sword."
Cyprian: "Thanks be to God."
The execution was carried out at once in an open place near the city. A vast multitude followed Cyprian on his last journey. He removed his garments without assistance, knelt down, and prayed. After he blindfolded himself, he was beheaded by the sword. The body was interred by Christians near the place of execution.

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

lejend wrote:
"It is a bad world, Donatus, an incredibly bad world. But I have discovered in the midst of it a quiet and good people who have learned the great secret of life. They have found a joy and wisdom which is a thousand times better than any of the pleasures of our sinful lives. They are despised and persecuted, but they care not. They are masters of their souls. They have overcome the world. These people, Donatus, are Christians. . . and I am one of them."

—Cyprian of Carthage, martyr (c. 200-258)
Cyprian was born to a wealthy pagan Berber (Roman African) family sometime during the early third century. He grew up outside of the Christian faith, converting to Christianity only later in life after a dissipated youth. After his baptism, he gave away his wealth to the poor of Carthage and led a life of chastity and devotion to God.
"I myself was held in bonds by the innumerable errors of my previous life, from which I did not believe I could possibly be delivered, so I was disposed to acquiesce in my clinging vices and to indulge my sins; and because I despaired of better things, I used to indulge my sins as if they were actually parts of me, and indigenous to me.

"But after that, by the agency of the Spirit breathed from heaven, a second birth restored me to a new man. Then, in a wondrous manner every doubt began to fade... I clearly understood that what had first lived within me, enslaved by the vices of the flesh, was earthly and that what, instead, the Holy Spirit had wrought within me was divine and heavenly."
At the end of 256 a new persecution of the Christians broke out under Emperor Valerian. Cyprian was brought before the Roman proconsul Aspasius Paternus on August 30, 257. He refused to sacrifice to the pagan deities and firmly professed Christ.

On September 13, 258, Cyprian was imprisoned on the orders of the new proconsul, Galerius Maximus. The public examination of Cyprian by Galerius Maximus, on 14 September 258, has been preserved:
Galerius Maximus: "Are you Thascius Cyprianus?"
Cyprian: "I am."
Galerius: "The most sacred Emperors have commanded you to conform to the Roman rites."
Cyprian: "I refuse."
Galerius: "Take heed for yourself."
Cyprian: "Do as you are bid; in so clear a case I may not take heed."
Galerius, after briefly conferring with his judicial council, with much reluctance pronounced the following sentence: "You have long lived an irreligious life, and have drawn together a number of men bound by an unlawful association, and professed yourself an open enemy to the gods and the religion of Rome; and the pious, most sacred and august Emperors ... have endeavoured in vain to bring you back to conformity with their religious observances; whereas therefore you have been apprehended as principal and ringleader in these infamous crimes, you shall be made an example to those whom you have wickedly associated with you; the authority of law shall be ratified in your blood."
He then read the sentence of the court from a written tablet: "It is the sentence of this court that Thascius Cyprianus be executed with the sword."
Cyprian: "Thanks be to God."
The execution was carried out at once in an open place near the city. A vast multitude followed Cyprian on his last journey. He removed his garments without assistance, knelt down, and prayed. After he blindfolded himself, he was beheaded by the sword. The body was interred by Christians near the place of execution.

He should have just lied imo
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

John Calvin on refugees

Calvin encouraged people to “not consider men’s evil intention but to look upon the image of God in them, which cancels and effaces their transgressions, and with its beauty and dignity allures us to love and embrace them.” (Institutes of the Christian Religion)

Calvin emphasized the infinite value of individuals and the unity of the human race because we are all created in the image of God.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

Also Calvin said:

"Their [the Jews] rotten and unbending stiffneckedness deserves that they be oppressed unendingly and without measure or end and that they die in their misery without the pity of anyone."

"I have had much conversation with many Jews: I have never seen either a drop of piety or a grain of truth or ingenuousness—nay, I have never found common sense in any Jew."

"Jews are profane unholy sacrilegious dogs."

"Now the Jews are cut off like rotten limbs. We have taken their place."

"They [the Jews] renounced the one through whom they could rule over the world, our Lord Jesus Christ, and placed themselves under the tyranny of Satan."

My point is that "Calvin emphasized the infinite value of individuals and the unity of the human race because we are all created in the image of God. " isn't true at all.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Luther too.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

Dolan wrote:Luther too.
Luther was even worse, he said in a paragraph from his book "On the Jews and Their Lies":

"First, to set fire to their synagogues or schools … This is to be done in honor of our Lord and of Christendom, so that God might see that we are Christians …

Second, I advise that their houses also be razed and destroyed.

Third, I advise that all their prayer books and Talmudic writings, in which such idolatry, lies, cursing, and blasphemy are taught, be taken from them.

Fourth, I advise that their rabbis be forbidden to teach henceforth on pain of loss of life and limb …

Fifth, I advise that safe-conduct on the highways be abolished completely for the Jews. For they have no business in the countryside …

Sixth, I advise that usury be prohibited to them, and that all cash and treasure of silver and gold be taken from them …

Seventh, I recommend putting a flail, an ax, a hoe, a spade, a distaff, or a spindle into the hands of young, strong Jews and Jewesses and letting them earn their bread in the sweat of their brow … But if we are afraid that they might harm us or our wives, children, servants, cattle, etc., … then let us emulate the common sense of other nations such as France, Spain, Bohemia, etc., … then eject them forever from the country …"
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Jotunir wrote:My point is that "Calvin emphasized the infinite value of individuals and the unity of the human race because we are all created in the image of God. " isn't true at all.
Why isn't it true? There's no conflict between the propositions that "Calvin taught the infinite value of individuals and the unity of the human race" and "Calvin was personally guilty of partialism and hatred." In fact, given man's sinful nature, it's to be expected that all teachers of good will themselves be practitioners of evil.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Jotunir wrote:
Dolan wrote:Luther too.
Luther was even worse, he said in a paragraph from his book "On the Jews and Their Lies":

"First, to set fire to their synagogues or schools … This is to be done in honor of our Lord and of Christendom, so that God might see that we are Christians …

Second, I advise that their houses also be razed and destroyed.

Third, I advise that all their prayer books and Talmudic writings, in which such idolatry, lies, cursing, and blasphemy are taught, be taken from them.

Fourth, I advise that their rabbis be forbidden to teach henceforth on pain of loss of life and limb …

Fifth, I advise that safe-conduct on the highways be abolished completely for the Jews. For they have no business in the countryside …

Sixth, I advise that usury be prohibited to them, and that all cash and treasure of silver and gold be taken from them …

Seventh, I recommend putting a flail, an ax, a hoe, a spade, a distaff, or a spindle into the hands of young, strong Jews and Jewesses and letting them earn their bread in the sweat of their brow … But if we are afraid that they might harm us or our wives, children, servants, cattle, etc., … then let us emulate the common sense of other nations such as France, Spain, Bohemia, etc., … then eject them forever from the country …"
Luther was a /pol/ack. :shock:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

lejend wrote:
Jotunir wrote:My point is that "Calvin emphasized the infinite value of individuals and the unity of the human race because we are all created in the image of God. " isn't true at all.
Why isn't it true? There's no conflict between the propositions that "Calvin taught the infinite value of individuals and the unity of the human race" and "Calvin was personally guilty of partialism and hatred." In fact, given man's sinful nature, it's to be expected that all teachers of good will themselves be practitioners of evil.
I think refugees should be cared for and I'm also not anti-Semitic. Why don't I have a religion named after me
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

lejend wrote:
Preaching against the jews is preaching against "the infinite value of individuals and the unity of the human race". That's why it's not true.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Jotunir wrote:
lejend wrote:
Preaching against the jews is preaching against "the infinite value of individuals and the unity of the human race".
Right, but he's not preaching against Jews in the sermons and commentaries I posted; he's teaching the unity of the human race and the infinite value of each individual (including Jews), a truth he received from the Scriptures.

Calvin often failed to live out these principles because he, like all other human beings, was a sinful man affected by his era's prejudices and biases. None of this detracts from the truth or relevance of his teachings, nor should it stop us from giving credit where credit is due: at a time when the spirit of the age was against helping the stranger, Calvin served as a powerful, countercultural witness to God's concern for refugees. Regardless of Calvin's faults, this is something he should be commended for.
Calvin put his theology into practice in Geneva, which became known as a haven for refugees. By the early 1550s, almost half of Geneva was composed of refugees, crowded and contentious. The presence of the refugees in Geneva was a hot-button political issue. Many of the native residents of Geneva despised the refugees, seeing them as carrying diseases, stealing jobs, and leeching off of charity. They sought to enforce stringent regulations against the immigrants, restricting their right to vote for a long period, preventing them from gaining citizenship, and restricting their right to bear arms. These resentments eventually led to confrontation, riots, and violence against the refugees. The French immigrant ministers who worked with John Calvin were “sworn or spat at in the streets.”

John Calvin, on the other hand, was extremely sensitive to the plight of the refugees. He used the diaconal ministry to meet their pressing needs. The deacons in the church provided for refugees by administering charitable funds for them, providing them with jobs, and employing people to care for them. Calvin thus provides an inspiring example of how a Christian leader can be counter-cultural in seeing and meeting the needs of immigrants and refugees. To him, the fact that a stranger possessed the image of God was grounds enough to be kind and compassionate to him, even if he be worthless, contemptible, and undeserving.
"Thus ye see why Saint Paul saith expressly, that we must endeavor to do good to all men, yea even to such as are unworthy, even though they were our deadly enemies. Truly this is hard, and contrary to our inclination: but yet therein God trieth us so much the better. For if we do good to such as deserve it, or to such as are able to recompense it: it is no declaration or proof that we be willing to serve God: for it may be that we had respect to our own profit."

—John Calvin's sermon on Galatians 6:9-11