Trump wants Greenland

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Re: Trump wants Greenland

Post by spanky4ever »

occamslightsaber wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Currently, they have an alliance with Denmark (as you may, or maybe not know), when it comes to foreign policies, economic policies, and defense. You should also know that Denmark is a member of NATO.

Ppl from Greenland want to be fully independent, someday, but for now, I guess this alliance suits them fine, for the most part.

It is pretty middle age to think you can buy a country and its inhabitants in this day and age. But then again, I guess Trump has many ideas and attitudes that are outdated by 100 years or more.

As we could expect, the Danish prime minister answered Trump, that buying Greenland, is out of the question, and not negotiable. The little child as he is, had one of his tantrums and called off the official meeting that was scheduled in Denmark.

What a total idiot.

You can read this in The Guardian today:
Danes have expressed shock and disbelief over Donald Trump’s cancellation of a state visit to Denmark after its prime minister rebuffed his interest in purchasing Greenland.

The US president’s proposal at first elicited incredulity and humour from politicians in Denmark, a Nato ally, with the former premier Lars Løkke Rasmussen saying: “It must be an April Fool’s Day joke.”

and this:
Anthony Scaramucci, a former communications director for Trump, told the BBC the much-pummelled president was like a punch-drunk boxer still standing in the 12th round with no real idea what he was doing. His handlers should throw in the towel, Scaramucci suggested.

:o

Well, to be fair, purchase of foreign land is not unprecedented in US history.

The Louisiana purchase of 1803 doubled the size of the United States at the time. Harry Truman tried (but failed) to acquire Greenland in 1946 and Woodrow Wilson did successfully negotiate the purchase of US Virgin Islands from Denmark in 1917.

Greenland is important strategically to check renewed Russian aggression in Europe, but America’s NATO allies like Denmark aren’t pulling their weight at all. I’m sure Trump offered pretty outrageous terms to the Danish, but at least he had a valid reason to do so this time.

You refer to something back to 1917, so I guess you are underlining my words ;)
Anyway, nothing is impossible for the choosen one ;)
https://youtu.be/JgwalqjF5nw
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.