Political Leanings

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Re: Political Leanings

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
So how is slapping a label on the US Democratic party clarifying anything?
It clarifies you're not a republican, which is meaningful because a lot of Americans are.
The Republican and Democratic party in the USA are purely the product of American history and "culture". Not much of what they say makes sense in Europe or elsewhere, for example the debate on gun ownership. You're neither leftwing or rightwing in Europe if you don't support civilian ownership of guns, you could be either.
But we all follow US politics, don't we? American political identities don't have to directly relate to any European one for them to be meaningfully different from each other.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Lawl dolan always calls everyone a right wing nit or a left wing cuck and now suddenly it's meaningless XD i guess finally some progress!
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Dolan wrote:
Horsemen wrote:I am right-wing in the US and extreme right-wing in the UK
Want to hear something that will shatter everything you thought you knew about conservatism? Conservatism in the 19th century was anti-nationalist, because they thought nationalism was a political force for the plebs, that could threaten the establishment.
Conservatives back then were supporters of the monarchist establishment.

Fast-forward to the 21st century, conservatives are nationalist. Image

Modern conservatives aren't so much nationalist as exploiters of nationalism for political gain.

As for Monarchism, I guess some ideas are too conservative even for conservatives.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Where does having sand in your teeth fall on the political spectrum
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

kami_ryu wrote:I keep leaning more and more to the left.
Don't fall over
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

kami_ryu wrote:I keep leaning more and more to the left. All of my friends are right wing yet are also riddled with debt and going paycheck to paycheck. clueless

What's wrong with being in debt? Leverage is a great way to build your wealth especially when you're young and have long years of earnings ahead of you.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Horsemen wrote:
kami_ryu wrote:I keep leaning more and more to the left. All of my friends are right wing yet are also riddled with debt and going paycheck to paycheck. clueless

What's wrong with being in debt? Leverage is a great way to build your wealth especially when you're young and have long years of earnings ahead of you.

I feel the same way about the government
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Horsemen wrote:

It's not like they all own houses, I assure you.

I wanna say you're a troll but I'm still not sure.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

American conservatism is about conserving the liberal ideals of the Founding, so it's a fundamentally liberal ideology. American conservatism would be called [classical] liberalism elsewhere.

http://www.nationalreview.com/magazine/ ... iberalism/
Great Britain Horsemen
Jaeger

Post by Horsemen »

Goodspeed wrote:
Horsemen wrote:

It's not like they all own houses, I assure you.

I wanna say you're a troll but I'm still not sure.

How else would you buy a house if not by using debt?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I'm saying long-term investments aren't the only cause of debt.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

umeu wrote:Lawl dolan always calls everyone a right wing nit or a left wing cuck and now suddenly it's meaningless XD i guess finally some progress!
Labels are not completely meaningless, but they don't have the absolute currency that people assume them to have. A centre-right policy from Europe might be seen centre-left or extreme left in the USA, for example. And, as I said, big parties tend to be broad churches that include different wings and orientations. Like, right now Boris Johnson is trying to purge the Conservative party of its moderates that don't support his hardline Brexit position. Which, imo, will turn the party into something else, another more polished, mainstream version of Farage's Brexit party. Which will result in the political spectrum in the UK getting re-aligned in a different way (maybe Lib Dems will grow, absorbing all those moderates).
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)