Re: How To Say

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Re: How To Say V2

Post by Dolan »

Cometk wrote:You don’t get it, getting offended is just weakness. Not a quintessential response to being disrespected or having your boundaries crossed.

And whatcha gonna do if your boundaries get crossed and you get all disrespected?
Call the police? The United Nations? :P
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Dolan wrote:
Cometk wrote:You don’t get it, getting offended is just weakness. Not a quintessential response to being disrespected or having your boundaries crossed.

And whatcha gonna do if your boundaries get crossed and you get all disrespected?

Yeah if someone broke into my house I would probably call the police
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America GiBthedurrty
Lancer
Donator 01
Clan: YumiW

Post by GiBthedurrty »

xD
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

Dolan wrote:Hm, I'm not sure forgetting is a good way of coping. It's always going to haunt you and you'll have to always make sure you keep your guard up, in case it comes up. I think acceptance is a better one. Black people should just accept the "nigger" word and move on, stop being offended by a word that essentially means nothing but some way in which they were classified by white colonists and explorers in the past. At least, that's just my opinion, I think it'd be more effective.

Perhaps. But my point was more about words becoming obsolete and no longer being included in everyday vocabulary. People almost never call Asians “gooks” these days to the point that most don’t even know what it means. Why? I don’t think it’s because Asians just accepted it and them not being offended took the fun out of it for everyone else. “Gook” could have still lingered on as a harmless way to refer to Asians like you suggested with the N word, but it disappeared almost entirely instead.

I think it has more to do with the fact that 1) Asians never use it to refer to each other and 2) them being offended by the word was actually effective negative reinforcement for everyone else to stop using it. That way, any serious person wanting to do business or interact with Asians wouldn’t use the word. Sure, some people may have still used the term to make fun of Asians from time to time, but they would either grow up and learn that being respectful to others is necessary to live in our society or become ostracized as racist bigots. After enough time, “gook” was used less and less until it practically died out and the following generation of people never even heard of it.

Dolan wrote:OK, now we're getting somewhere. Self-deprecation, in-joke, irony. But then that doesn't help you build a sense of self-respect if you keep having a low opinion on yourself.

Well, it’s not meant to build self-respect. In fact, I’d argue that most people who make self-deprecating jokes have a pretty high opinion of themselves, because they know their insecurities can’t be used against them and they have a laugh about them instead.
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

occamslightsaber wrote: In fact, I’d argue that most people who make self-deprecating jokes have pretty high opinion of themselves

I wish
Retired Contributor

fightinfrenchman wrote:
occamslightsaber wrote: In fact, I’d argue that most people who make self-deprecating jokes have pretty high opinion of themselves

I wish

I’d say you are one of the few to have low self-respect and still make fun of yourself, but you shitpost too much for it to be actually true.

I intend all my puns.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

the real reason why people use the word nigger by dontay
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

It's funny to read this thread knowing that @evilcheadar once got banned for saying "Grilled cheese"
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

who are you gonna complain about if everyone gets banned
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

tedere12 wrote:who are you gonna complain about if everyone gets banned

Toon World and the various problems it is causing me
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Dolan wrote:

Yes, good question. For the sake of science, you should set up an experiment.

Why don't you go to some bars, cross some boundaries by pretending to grab a guy in the crotch or insulting his mother/gf/wife. Maybe go to some Roma and call them dirty fucking stinking gypsies 100x in a row. See what happens :)

Make sure you film it, you'll atleast make some youtube ad money from it.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Shit, I'm really upset that the cabin trip was cancelled and I'm thinking of having a heated gamer moment. Someone help me, pleashe
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

Do you Europeans even have black people? I'm pretty sure France does, don't know about other countries.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

Racism like most topics are americano-anglo-centric. Western society most of us live in have roughly the same life stadards and societal statuses. Especially on racism debate, it has indeed been fueled by post-colonial guilt. Norms formed by globalisation are undeniably dictated by the US and less than Europe and Australia or even the rest of Oceania, Asia and Africa. Although, such a problem with potentially universal application is often seen only from certain perspectives.

Now knowingly using words and phrases that can disturb someone is a dick move. Any person's reasoning for acting like a douche is again another huge topic: societal fault, being part of subaltern groups (flame me all you want for using that word, I hoped I never would), less education (intended or not), economical status, feelings of superiority and accomplishment, thinking it's harmless and many many more possible reasons.

My go is just don't be dick and if you are, apologise. If someone is a dick to you, don't be a dick either, explain like a normal person, what you didn't like and ask to stop.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Howdah

Post by Amsel_ »

>get tickets to Escape LAN
>board plane to the U.K.
>there's a layover in Brussels
>buy train ticket that goes on a tour through the Netherlands, it doesn't leave until that evening
>go walking around since I don't know when I'll ever be there again
>see some "psychic" on the streetside and decide to check it out
>a guy named Dolan gives me a tarot card reading
>I pull out my wallet to pay him, but my wallet's already been stolen
>report it to the police
>have to pay a fee just to file a police report, and then get fined for using language which doesn't recognize the hardship that leads criminals to crime
>get on the train to the Netherlands
>a guy in lederhosen spends the entire train ride lecturing me on how the concept of a nation is racist while also saying how much better Germany is than America
>get to the Netherlands
>I ask an African gentleman where the bus stop is and say I want to see the windmills
>he stares at me in silence
>I ask him his name
>he just says godspeed
>presume he's wishing me well on my travels, but ask him again where the bus stop is
>he stares in silence for a moment
>he asks me if I've ever watched Dear White People on Netflix
>tell him I haven't
>he asks me if I've ever watched The Wire
>"no"
>he pulls out a knife and fucking stabs me
>mumble out "You bastard" before falling to the ground
>my phone buzzes, I pull it out and see that I got a long text-message accusing me of "akromatic supremacy"
>pass out from blood loss
>wake up in prison
>apparently saying "You bastard" is a form of assault and self-defense is illegal in the Netherlands so I'm facing 20 years in prison
>they're giving me a medical checkup before sending me off to jail
>one of the nurses asks where I'm from
>"America"
>she puts her hands on her cheeks and says "Oh no, it's retarded."
>they send me on my way to Manchester
>finally get to the Escape studio
>ask if I can have a cup of water
>"Sure, but I can't pull it outta me bloody ass. I ain't no daimyo. Wait 'ere a seggin'."
>he hands me the water
>take one (1) sip of it
>my teeth rot instantly and my gums recede
>start screaming in pain
>"You ain't use ta da wata in England, eh mate?"
>make my way to the sitting area
>see people worshiping a handsome Italian fellow dressed as a Roman Centurion
>ask who he is
>the room fills with gasps
>the Italian man pulls out a gladius and charges me while requesting feedback on how entertained I am
>run away
>trip and fall unconscious
>wake up in a strange room
>"Where am I?"
>"Easy. Easy. You tripped and hit your head pretty badly. You're in the U.S. embassy. Don't worry, we'll get you home."
>they give me a hamburger, a shot of insulin, and an NRA magazine to read while they finish some paperwork
>they also give me a tax cut for my traumatic experiences
>get on a plane and fly back to America
>sit next to some fellow with massive ears who spends the trip listing each item on the democratic party platform and accusing anyone who disagrees with any of those things of being "stupid"
>get off the plane
>make my way home and only get shot three times
>go to bed because I need to wakeup early tomorrow for Mormon Church

Yikes. No wonder my ancestors were willing to spend two months sailing through storms on broken, half-rotten ships to come here and starve and get arrows shot at them by Native Americans just to get away from your continent.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

duckzilla wrote:
Dolan wrote:Lol, whether you use this word or another doesn't make any difference. They still choose to live in their closed-in communities, marry their children when they're 13 to make sure they won't leave the community and refuse to send them to school. So it's not that society rejects their integration, they reject integration by holding on to their nomadic culture. They were given jobs, free housing, welfare, they keep holding steadfastly to their old ways.

By using pejorative names you show the young generations of Sinti/Roma that society despises them due to their social background. You shut the doors before the people can go through them.

Your attitude towards them seems to be dominated by usual majority vs minority thinking. The lack of empathy towards this social group is closing the vicious circle these people are in.

Look, gypsies already live in their own closed communities, it's not like you have many opportunities to call them gypsy in their face. Where would you meet them? In the workplace? Many if not most of them don't work or like holding steady jobs.

Nobody shut any doors to their integration. The government gave them free housing, free education, free university spots. They take the free housing and other perks, but say "no, thanks" to education and integration. They pretty much act like social leeches. And that's nobody else's fault but theirs. And on top of that, they roam around Europe, stealing and shitting in parks and telling everyone they're "Romanian".

You know what, I'm sick and tired of this attitude of unreserved thoughtfulness and understanding, when they're the ones acting like dicks in this equation. And they do this from an early age, because that's what their parents teach them.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

gibson wrote:The point isnt that the word itself is such a terrible thing. A word is just a word. The point is that in the past the word was used by people who were in positions of power over them. So much power that they could own them, beat them, even kill them without consequence. It was used in a time when a white man could lynch a black man and his only fear would be that the black man's owner would come after him for the value of the black man. So if you can't understand why "psychologically" someone wouldn't want to be called that, you're the same kind of "psychologist" who wouldn't understand why a woman wouldn't want to be called a pet name that her abuser had called her for years. The exact same reason why anyone finds anything to be offensive.

The key phrase here is "in the past". That's what I argued before in this thread. All this "offensive this, offensive that" talk is about things that happened centuries ago. Just like Ottoman massacres of different peoples happened centuries ago, just like colonisation happened centuries ago, etc. Meanwhile generations of black people have been born in freedom and have not experienced any of the things you mentioned (killings, being someone else's property, abuse, etc).

Your comparison with an abused woman just doesn't hold, because I'm not talking about direct victims of slavery that are still alive today. None of those are still alive, so that experience is pretty much gone. They're already living in a country that has had a black president for eight years. A Harvard-educated one, at that. So it's definitely possible for black people in the USA to reach positions of power in your society. It's a situation that is pretty far from that historical background you keep bringing up.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Okay if you're just gonna ignore parts of what I said and respond as if I never said it I'm not going to bother discoursing with you anymore, just continue talking out of your ass about a culture you have no idea about. This is the 3rd time we've gone through this loop btw.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

The posts just keep on coming
Howdah

Post by Amsel_ »

fightinfrenchman wrote:The posts just keep on coming

Somebody once told me Dolan is gonna troll me
I ain't in a productive thread
She was looking kind of dumb; as she sieg'd it seemed glum
And the shape of a "卐" on her forehead

Well the post start coming and they don't stop coming
Mods ignore the rules so racists are incoming
"Didn't make sense not call nigs scum
Your race gets mixed and your children get dumb"
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

@Amsel_ This is a post I would give ESOC Gold to if such a thing existed. Bravo
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Lol.

I express doubts about using a certain word to call a category of people (whatever the word, whatever the category) and everyone is going nuts about it. It didn't take long before Godwin's law came into play.

What I see here is just typical American prudishness. "Omagosh, you can't say that, you can't think that". While what I'm supporting is an anti-moralistic point of view. You shouldn't have to choose your words based on the likelihood of someone feeling offended. Or else you end up only using words from children's books. Communication is one of the few realms we have in which anything can happen without anyone getting killed, much like imagination, stories. Typically when words can cause hurt, it falls on psychology to solve the underlying issues, not on the law.

It's gotten to the ridiculous point at which people are legally chased for having posted something on Twitter, using the "wrong" language: https://www.theepochtimes.com/british-w ... 96807.html
This is definitely a worrying trend, at least in Western societies, where the police is chasing "Twitter crime" while real crime is running rampant in the streets (see the stabbing epidemic in London).
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

You can say it dude but you would be an ignorant asshole to do it
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Yeah, I get that.

I guess it's in my temperament to not be a follower in any way (of norms, rules, customs), unless following leads to new stuff.
Retired Contributor

Who says anything about the law? You can even host a Neo-Nazi parade in the US if you want as long as you obtain a permit, since the First Amendment protects that as free speech as well. There are no legal ramifications to calling someone a "nigger". What everyone here is saying is that it's immoral and disrespectful to do so and that there will be social consequences to going against societal norms.

I intend all my puns.