Freetalk Friday 1

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Re: Freetalk Friday 1

Post by Cometk »

I used to work night shift as a 911 receptionist when I was staying in New Zealand. Besides Saturday nights, the call flow was usually mild, which gave me a lot of time to read. It was really lovely. Itā€™s been two and a half years since then though, and I donā€™t think Iā€™ve finished a book since, despite purchasing at least 30 new books in the same amount of time.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I don't read books anymore.
I'm probably writing one, slowly.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Good luck with that
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

I mean if you wrote just 500 words a day you could get a book out in less than a year.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Having a job sucks, it takes up so much of my free time, just in exchange of tens of thousands of dollars a year
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

Having a job in eastern europe sucks, it takes so much of my free time, just in exchange of about ten thousand dollars a year
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Yeah wtf, better be free and fight for scraps with hobos. Occasionally spitroast a rat for a treat.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Dolan wrote:Yeah wtf, better be free and fight for scraps with hobos. Occasionally spitroast a rat for a treat.
Yeah I'm gonna try that out next
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

harcha wrote:Having a job in eastern europe sucks, it takes so much of my free time, just in exchange of about ten thousand dollars a year
I mean shit is cheap as fuck so it's more like you're earning $25000 a year compared to wealthy countries

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
United States of America HeadKilla
Lancer
The Big Game Hunter - Bronze ElephantDonator Best
ESO: Headkilla

Post by HeadKilla »

Yeah, I worked for the man for about 20 years before deciding to follow a dream and open a game store. If you are able to get yourself into a position to where you can work for yourself, getting through a short career making someone else money is at least bearable. I know it was about 2 years of me working the side job buying and selling collections while working full-time before I was able to exit the corporate life and do my own thing. Really, if you have an idea and you are passionate about it, you can make money doing it, for the most part. Don't be fooled into thinking you need to make $150k a year to be happy or that once you have made that money you will be happy. The years I was making the most money, I was the least happy. Granted the first year I was out on my own and I did not make any money was rough also, but I was genuinely happy to be "broke" but doing what I wanted. Probably the greatest thing my grandparents and parents gave me was providing an example of how you can be successful in life in more ways that society would have you believe. My grandparents opened and ran a flea market in Indiana for 25 years before selling it off. My parents opened several art galleries and an advertising agency before selling those off. I hope my grand kids and kids each follow the family tradition and take their time to figure out themselves and then take a plunge into entrepreneurship because working 14 -18 hour days for myself made me happier than working 8 hour days for someone else.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

I've always been told by my Father that if you're working for someone else they're always taking a cut of what you're worth, I think instilling the self employed mentality is great

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

Yes ppl say that to me aswell. However I cannot really do anything with this insight as i don't have any such aspiration and my only hobby is playing video games.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Lancer

Post by HeadKilla »

Riotcoke wrote:I've always been told by my Father that if you're working for someone else they're always taking a cut of what you're worth, I think instilling the self employed mentality is great
Oh for sure. Employer's have to operate that way though. The key is employee's can choose how long they play that game if they play it at all.

I never had too many employee's. The first store (years ago) we had maybe 10 people total. But we paid staff $8-$10 an hour. Each employee was making the store $75-$100 an hour on average. Even after all expenses were paid, there was about $25/hr per employee going into my pocket. The hours I worked the profits were that much larger. I was paying a little over minimum wage to teenagers who would probably have worked for even less just to have a job they thought would make them happy. Most employees realize there is not much glamour in retail, no matter what you are selling, and would quit around 1 year.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Riotcoke wrote:I've always been told by my Father that if you're working for someone else they're always taking a cut of what you're worth

You're right, I'm gonna start stealing stuff from my new job to make up the difference
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

HeadKilla wrote:
Riotcoke wrote:I've always been told by my Father that if you're working for someone else they're always taking a cut of what you're worth, I think instilling the self employed mentality is great
Oh for sure. Employer's have to operate that way though. The key is employee's can choose how long they play that game if they play it at all.

I never had too many employee's. The first store (years ago) we had maybe 10 people total. But we paid staff $8-$10 an hour. Each employee was making the store $75-$100 an hour on average. Even after all expenses were paid, there was about $25/hr per employee going into my pocket. The hours I worked the profits were that much larger. I was paying a little over minimum wage to teenagers who would probably have worked for even less just to have a job they thought would make them happy. Most employees realize there is not much glamour in retail, no matter what you are selling, and would quit around 1 year.
Well yeah in a retail job it's mostly a stop-gap for people. But i mean more in a higher end job. Even construction you're losing Ā£10/hr in the UK if you're not working for yourself.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Lancer

Post by HeadKilla »

[/quote]Well yeah in a retail job it's mostly a stop-gap for people. But i mean more in a higher end job. Even construction you're losing Ā£10/hr in the UK if you're not working for yourself.[/quote]

yeah, I am sure it scales up. During my corporate career, the year I made the most money, some executive, who's project was a total failure, received a bonus close to $1,000,000 before being fired. This was a company with under 70 employee's. So each employee made the company enough to cover their salaries, expenses and overhead plus at least $14k per person to give to a shitty exec a huge bonus weeks before firing him and then paying who knows how much to leave. Needless to say, even though us employee's all received what seemed like a huge pay raise, which it was, but the very top couple of people were making millions of dollars each off of only 70 or so people. A couple months before I left, Bain Capital invested in the company, fired the founder and most board members, replaced them with their own people. They then fired 75% of the staff only to rehire almost 200 people. Of course, those 200 people hired were paid about 1/2 what the previous job holder was being paid. So they scaled up the business with more employees making themselves more money while paying less to staff for their work. To be fair, the 25% of staff that were kept on board, such as myself, were given hefty bonuses and fancy job titles. However bonuses and job titles don't make it any easier to drag yourself out of bed each day and go into the office when you genuinely do not enjoy what you do every day.
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

fightinfrenchman wrote:Having a job sucks
Shoulda got a job u like bro
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Better try to find something that at least feels somewhat fulfilling, else you're gonna feel like working is a waste of time, and it's gonna be harder to feel happy if you can't feel good about your job. Obviously this is easier to say than to put in practice, but it's really not something you can neglect imo.
Being self employed is obviously more rewarding but also more risky, you can't leave that out of the equation.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

That should be pretty much obvious imo
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

fightinfrenchman wrote:@lejend What percentage of the Republican party do you think is hostile to nationalism?
Hard to say. Pre-Trump, the vast majority. Now, maybe 40-55%. But the Republican establishment is still firmly anti-nationalist, I think.
Goodspeed wrote:@lejend I don't think "conservative" is the misnomer. Rather "liberal" as a description of the progressive ideology is a misnomer. Both can be described as liberal ideologies depending on your definition of the word. The real difference between the two is that conservatives don't want anything to change, and progressives do.

That there is more nationalism and racism among conservatives makes sense, because conservatives want to stay in a society that views immigrants and people of other races as second-rate citizens. That's what they are used to, and any change is scary. That includes multiculturalism, perhaps above all.
A lot of people seem to think that the more nationalist (which is 'good' collectivism in their view) or 'traditionalist' they are, the more conservative. But conservatism as an ideology is about conserving the liberal ideals of the Founding, which run counter to much of what passes for conservatism nowadays (xenophobia, nationalism, etc.) They can call themselves conservative all they want, but that doesn't change the fact that their worldview has no resemblance to that of the Founding generation.
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Dolan wrote:Yeah wtf, better be free and fight for scraps with hobos. Occasionally spitroast a rat for a treat.
should roast your roaches. btw hows lucy?
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Dolan wrote:I don't read books anymore.
I'm probably writing one, slowly.
What will you be writing about?
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

your father is right, and maybe he was quoting Carl Marx 2 :biggrin:
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

dietschlander wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
should roast your roaches. btw hows lucy?
Lucy and I aren't talking at the moment
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

Sounds as toxic unpleasant situation. What about a candelite roasted roach dinner?
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98