Freetalk Friday 1

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Re: Freetalk Friday 1

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Oh before I forget, @XeeleeFlower you should consider what side of the mountains you end up on for these travels. It can really make a world of difference sometimes. But maybe it's hard to gather that sort of data.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

@RefluxSemantic aren't you a theoretical physicist
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

princeofcarthage wrote:@RefluxSemantic aren't you a theoretical physicist
No fortunately not
Retired Contributor

Okay, are you a physicist or not, cuz I can almost swear I read somewhere you were one.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

princeofcarthage wrote:Okay, are you a physicist or not, cuz I can almost swear I read somewhere you were one.
I have a bsc in physics and in a few months I'll have an msc in experimental physics (which has better job prospects than theoretical physics afaik)
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Kinda curious what you're implying with this though. Just because I went to university doesnt mean its easy for me to effortlessly analyse and consider thousands of options to find the optimal option.
Retired Contributor

RefluxSemantic wrote:
Kinda curious what you're implying with this though. Just because I went to university doesnt mean its easy for me to effortlessly analyse and consider thousands of options to find the optimal option.
I was implying that you should be earning quite decent. Was wondering why you always seem to be tight on budget considering I know few who don't even have graduation degrees doing much better than I am and I consider myself to be doing quite good. Now I know.
Retired Contributor

@Dolan Just like Ukraine, Russia should also reclaim its Romanian territories imo
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

evilcheadar wrote:
Vinyanyérë wrote:
Show hidden quotes
and it's that time again
and it's that time again
and it's that time again
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Retired Contributor

We need ESOC name Thread
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

@princeofcarthage happy birthday bro
Retired Contributor

Thanks bro
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

My new PC is arriving today. Cant wait!
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

I'm so glad I'm not having brain surgery today
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

RefluxSemantic wrote:My new PC is arriving today. Cant wait!
Totally worth the wait. It's making me very very happy right now. Feels like I've made a leap from the stone age of computer technology into the future.
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by Vinyanyérë »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
Totally worth the wait. It's making me very very happy right now. Feels like I've made a leap from the stone age of computer technology into the future.
Partially related, my phone overheated four years ago while I was watching an AoE3 tournament, and I replaced it with the cheapest possible phone available at the time. I kept that "temporary" arrangement for four years while the phone deteriorated and finally upgraded last weekend. It's so nice being able to open up Google Maps again and take pictures without being notified that I have four kilobytes of storage space remaining.
duck
:mds:
imo
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Phones have now reached a point where you no longer need to upgrade them it's great
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I wish that were true, but unfortunately all phone batteries eventually lose their ability to keep a charge. Eventually they get drained fast and won't last even a day.
On top of that, OS and apps updates keep burdening its resources until it becomes sluggish to use.
I know at some point I simply had to remove every non-essential app and only keep a few core ones, because the phone was becoming a slow mess.
You could have a phone that doesn't need to be upgraded so fast if you bought one with replaceable battery, but there are few models like that still being made.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Dolan wrote:I wish that were true, but unfortunately all phone batteries eventually lose their ability to keep a charge. Eventually they get drained fast and won't last even a day.
On top of that, OS and apps updates keep burdening its resources until it becomes sluggish to use.
I know at some point I simply had to remove every non-essential app and only keep a few core ones, because the phone was becoming a slow mess.
You could have a phone that doesn't need to be upgraded so fast if you bought one with replaceable battery, but there are few models like that still being made.
Definitely true, but we have reached the point where the technology itself wont become obsolete. Its not in 2 years all your hardware is so outdated that your phone has turned into a sad mess. Now the phone life is purely down to the phone's durability, which is also becoming quite good. Mine is approaching 4 years and its still working perfectly.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Vinyanyérë wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
Partially related, my phone overheated four years ago while I was watching an AoE3 tournament, and I replaced it with the cheapest possible phone available at the time. I kept that "temporary" arrangement for four years while the phone deteriorated and finally upgraded last weekend. It's so nice being able to open up Google Maps again and take pictures without being notified that I have four kilobytes of storage space remaininv.
I had the same thing. I upgraded from a Samsung S5 to an iPhone 11 last year. Being able to open up snapchat in less than 30 seconds was sure refreshing.

It didn't even bother me that much, but when I wanted to take a picture with friends they used to give me strange looks.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
It didn't even bother me that much, but when I wanted to take a picture with friends they used to give me strange looks.
Yeah it was probably because of the phone
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:I wish that were true, but unfortunately all phone batteries eventually lose their ability to keep a charge. Eventually they get drained fast and won't last even a day.
Afaik most phone batteries are replaceable, just not easily. If the battery is the only bottleneck, which I think is the point we've reached, it becomes easily worth using some paid service to have your battery replaced every couple of years.
This is the thing that seems much less of an issue now, to me. My current phone has lasted me like twice as long as any previous phone (have had it since 2017), and I've not yet noticed any degradation in performance. I think it's because phones reached a sort of "critical mass" of specs where they can so easily handle the basic tasks I use them for that no amount of OS updates is going to significantly slow things down. Time will tell but so far it hasn't.
Been there. But when was the last time you had to do this?
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Phones also have reached a critical performance where the budget phones are still completely fine for everyday needs. Im happy about it, having to replace your 700$ phone every two years is outrageously expensive.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Honestly I don't like how phones are so good now. I've had mine for 2 years now and it's still extremely fast and usable, which means I have no excuse to get a new one which annoys me.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

@Goodspeed
Phone batteries are theoretically replaceable, but given how most phones today are made (ie components are glued between two sheets of tempered glass), there are variable degrees of repairability for each phone: https://www.ifixit.com/smartphone-repairability
Most of them need to be heated now just to open them up and sometimes this process is not fully doable without damaging some components. In some cases, you basically have to take the phone apart completely and re-glue it. And that's assuming you can find spare parts.
when was the last time you had to do this?
I have to do this every once in a while, just to make sure the OS is still usable. Otherwise, with every update, apps tend to burden the phone's resources more and more. And the more apps you keep active in memory, the worse it gets.
But yea, overall phones have peaked in terms of technology, there's just not much new you could put in a pocketable device that is already a jack of all trades, master of none. And the market is so saturated that there's no coolness factor companies could use to make you buy a new phone now, since everyone has bought the one that they could afford.